- Mine sequence
    - Zorin's blimp
    - Golden gate bridge finale
    - Moore's performance

Cons
    - California girls
    - Somewhat slow first half

The pros more than make up for the cons
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    Cons
    - California girls
    The slow first half is not a problem at all for me.

But... isn't there a silly little robot....? :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:
    Cons
    - California girls
    The slow first half is not a problem at all for me.

But... isn't there a silly little robot....? :))

I wouldn't call the slow half a problem as such, more a case of not living up to the second half. And I like the robot :D
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:
    And I like the robot :D
    Yeah, it was cute. So cute that Brosnan's Live Wire copied it a bit 7 years later... :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    That cute robot later turned up after a face lift as
    Number 5, in Short circuit. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    That cute robot later turned up after a face lift as
    Number 5, in Short circuit. ;)
    James! JAAAAAAMMESS!!!!
    :))
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    Just viewed to kill some time. I still enjoy it, but as it stands, I enjoy most of the previous entries Moore.

Zorin steals the show here, and there's a couple of moments I like, but there's quite a few negatives which I don't need to point out.

I'm like the Paris car chase and firetruck scene less and less. The finale is enjoyable, "He's Dangerous" is a great track but I found the rest of the score lacking this time...the Paris opening shot with the music is cringeworthy...actually Paris was criminally represented here, the only bit I liked is the wedding crasher moment.

Unfortunately it is in the bottom few at the moment
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    That shot of Bond wiping the snow from 003's corpse always gives me the creeps.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    That shot of Bond wiping the snow from 003's corpse always gives me the creeps.

Yeah amongst all the silliness in Glen's films, they have some very dark scenes....killing of Locque, Luigi, Vijay, Krest, etc
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    With Zorin being a genious and all I assume he turned off the cameras at City Hall otherwise he'd have some explaining to do had he lived :p
    I always wondered if the photo of " his wife and kid" in the locket of
    The dead agent, was a cover story photo or the poor guy's actual
    Family ? :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    I always thought it was his actual family.
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    That's what I always imagined too, sad really. :# luckily a few
    Minutes later we have " California girls" to cheer us up. ;)
    against all odds, I don't even mind this song :))
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    I actually have fond personal memories, as I remember renting the
    Video of AVTAK, and watching it with my late Dad. Who burst out laughing
    At that scene when it was played. :)) so every time I watch it, that's
    What I think of. :D
    everybody has their own memories with Bond what I find is amazing :)
    I myself remember being a small child and pulling out a DVD from the shelf called "GoldenEye".
    I imediately watched it and this was starting it all :)) {[]
    That's why it's almost distressing reading when someone strongly attacks a
    particular film or actor, as to many fans. They are not just films or actors but
    almost friends who have shared so many memories with us over the years. -{
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    People nit pick too much about the BB song....I can understand the critic for Paris & SF chases , at least BB is quickly over , the PTS is still cool.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    People nit pick too much about the BB song....I can understand the critic for Paris & SF chases , at least BB is quickly over , the PTS is still cool.

It delegitimises a great scene. There aren't many other instances of tracked music in the Bond series, but in the other times it was done there wasn't much going on to be ruined. Like Bill Conti's FYEO score, the tone isn't right even though the music is great.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    Pros:

Theme song by Duran Duran is the best theme of the entire series
    Christopher Walken's performance of the villain Zorin. Possibly my favorite villain of the series.
    San Francisco, California. One of the best locations of the series.
    Engineered earthquake to flood Silicon Valley = good plot and better than GF
    Epic finale with airplane, rope and golden gate bridge, and it is my opinion for best climax next to Skyfall and Licence To Kill.
    Moore's gentlemanly and fatherly demeanor gave me a warm feeling.
    I love Moore's serious performance here, reassembles FYEO
    Great score by John Barry
    All scenes at Stacey Sutton's house, very peaceful and enjoyable
    Chuck Lee as CIA - enjoyed him in the film

Cons:

Roger Moore's age
    The obvious stunt doubles and edits for Moore's lack of being able to fight in a fight scene
    The pre credits sequence is mediocre at best

AVTAK is my seventh favourite Bond film of the series. I love it, and I am not joking. For the reasons stated above, this film is definitely a top Bond if you can exclude the cons. Definitely up there for me.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    I'm curious. For those who have AVTAK so low on there list, I see some saying if Dalton did the film it could have been great or even the best. I'm curious why you think that. I know to many Moore's age is a factor and that the film is more serious then Moore's usual outings. But would having Dalton jump it that much more up.
    eric7064 wrote:
    I'm curious. For those who have AVTAK so low on there list, I see some saying if Dalton did the film it could have been great or even the best. I'm curious why you think that. I know to many Moore's age is a factor and that the film is more serious then Moore's usual outings. But would having Dalton jump it that much more up.

It would, because John Glen and the crew would have had to completely change the direction, and eliminate the intimate scenes between Bond and Grace Jones. Dalton against Walken would have been flawless, imagine had that been the case. I already love AVTAK, but with Dalton in it it'd probably be #1 on my list.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

My main issues with AVTAK is nothing to do with Moore's age, or stunt doubles as is common opinion. I feel the film was made on the cheap, a lot of the scenes while mostly enjoyable don't have the production values of many of the other films.

I still like it but I like many of the other films more
    Wadsy wrote:
    eric7064 wrote:

It would, because John Glen and the crew would have had to completely change the direction, and eliminate the intimate scenes between Bond and Grace Jones. Dalton against Walken would have been flawless, imagine had that been the case. I already love AVTAK, but with Dalton in it it'd probably be #1 on my list.

Dalton also would not be able to do St. John Smythe. That would purely for Moore. Dalton would need a considerably different film.
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    eric7064 wrote:

Dalton would've been hungrier for it, would have been in better shape to do his own stunts and it would have given him a longer tenure. Moore should have retired with Octopussy the same way that the Rolling Stones should have retired with Bridges to Babylon.

As for the film itself, it did have some dark elements. Zorin and Dr. Mortner were neo Nazi's, the former into destroying industry and the latter interested in genetic engineering. With some revisions in the writing and directing, it could've been a really focused cohesive film.
    eric7064 wrote:

Dalton would've been hungrier for it, would have been in better shape to do his own stunts and it would have given him a longer tenure. Moore should have retired with Octopussy the same way that the Rolling Stones should have retired with Bridges to Babylon.

As for the film itself, it did have some dark elements. Zorin and Dr. Mortner were neo Nazi's, the former into destroying industry and the latter interested in genetic engineering. With some revisions in the writing and directing, it could've been a really focused cohesive film.

What problem was there in directing?
    Dalton would've been hungrier for it, would have been in better shape to do his own stunts and it would have given him a longer tenure.
    More Dalton Bond would have only been a good-er thing.
    It's quite funny, I love A View To A Kil and I 'like' Moonraker but I cannot stand Tomorrow Never Dies and I especially cannot tolerate Diamonds Are Forever or Die Another Day.

• Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    Pros:

-Walken rocks as Zorin.
    -Moore gives a pretty good final performance.
    -Solid directing from Glen.
    -Plot is understandable.
    -Tibbett is well played by MacNee.

Cons:

-Tanya Roberts gives a wooden performance as Stacey Sutton and has zero credibility as a geologist.
    -Grace Jones is rather wooden as well, although in her case, it's not a huge deal.
    -Pola Ivanova is badly acted, and the "The bubbles tickle my... Tchaikovsky!" line feels out of place.
    -Moore has no chemistry with Roberts.

All in all, I like AVTAK, but don't love it, and give it an 8/10.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Moore has no chemistry with Roberts

But what about "that's not the soap"?!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."