The 007 Scrapbook .

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,948MI6 Agent
    edited March 2018
    all they're really telling us is it was written by somebody other than Fleming and although it is superficially like one of Fleming's, it reflects another man's interests.
    Barbel is quite right, ...Spy... is the weirdest Fleming book, and is a much weirder deviation from the formula than is Colonel Sun or any other continuation novel I can think of.
    But of those other continuation books, Pearson's 007 Biography is much weirder, especially with its framing device. Or Wood's novelizations that recast outrageous Lewis Gilbert fantasy plots in Flemingesque language. Amis' novel is almost convincingly canonical compared to some of what came after.

The article used an inappropriate photo to illustrate the Amis content in SPECTRE. Maybe wishing to avoid spoilers?
    xspectre_67_500.jpg.pagespeed.ic.cnAVTek9tV.jpg
    torture%2Bsun.JPG
    Spectre-Bond-brain-drill-600x256.png
    EDIT: found some photos online that do illustrate the adapted Amis content. The scene actually looks a bit Clockwork Orange-ish, now I think about it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/938684/James-Bond-audition-Sam-Neill-The-Living-Daylights-Timothy-Dalton-Jurassic-Park
    Sam Neill reflects on not landing the Bond role.

I agree that "Spy" was an experiment for Fleming in his
    Style of writing, but QOS is also a bit weird as it's
    Basically Bond being told a story.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,948MI6 Agent
    technically it's not a novel, but it is indeed the next weirdest Bond story Fleming wrote. Bond politely says it's a more exciting story than any of his own adventures. I don't believe Bond even goes to dinner parties.
    And at least the filmmakers could adapt a villains metal teeth into an exciting motion picture ... all they got from Quantum... was a difficult to explain title!
    I think Fleming was really wanting to write something completely different from yet another Bond thriller, but he would compromise and fit some of these literary aspirations into the Bond novel format.

007 in New York is pretty weird too, its mostly a recipe for an omelette. But I think that got sorta adapted that time Roger Moore cooked a quiche.
    Sorry yes it's a short story. I remember reading that
    Fleming tried to homage the writing style of
    Somerset Maugham, but I've never read any of his
    Works, so don't know.
    Although as teen I hated QOS as a story, as I got
    Older. I now think as a study on how a relationship
    Can break down, it's fantastic.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    the only Maugham I've read is Ashenden the British Agent, which is a collection of stories about a spy, not all of which are strictly spy stories, some are just incidents in his life. It was loosely adapted by Hitchcock as Secret Agent, one of his 30s spy films. Its a good book to read if looking for Fleming's influences, alongside Buchan and Ambler and Greene.

I think the filmmakers could have adapted it. Use the story of the couple at the beginning of the film to introduce some characters, one of the marriage partners gets accidentally involved in some foreign intrigue as a result of their breakup, spin an epic spy story out of that basic setup. Could be done quite easily. When they adapted James Cain's Mildred Pierce they turned that into a film noir murder mystery even though Cain's novel was a tragic character study with no murders to solve whatsoever!
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/939949/James-Bond-25-Daniel-Craig-retires-Tom-Hardy-007
    I'm guessing this is an April fool story. DC quits as Bond and
    Tom Hardy is new 007 ...... apparently.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,593Chief of Staff
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/939949/James-Bond-25-Daniel-Craig-retires-Tom-Hardy-007
    I'm guessing this is an April fool story. DC quits as Bond and
    Tom Hardy is new 007 ...... apparently.

It does say it is a prank at the bottom of the ‘story’...
    YNWA 97
    edited April 2018
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    I really do believe that she wouldn't be half bad for a Bond theme.
    {:)
    a reasonable rate of return
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,349Chief of Staff

Oh good, yet another one. Fewer errors than usual, I have to admit- in the course of the article itself, that is, there are more in the quotes selected.
    The writer lists a few of the "sadistic" deaths suffered by female characters in the Bond movies as if it proves a point, but does not mention that there is a far greater number of male deaths, often in "sadistic" (her word) ways.
    Does anyone, unlike the writer, know the exact number of women James Bond has killed directly or indirectly in the films? (Not killed by bad guys- by Bond). Well, there's Elektra King of course and Xenia then.... ??? It's the writer's use of the word "indirectly" that blurs the issue and takes much of the meaning out of her point so I'd suggest ignoring it and if I could I'd ask her how many women James Bond kills in his official* movies. Be an interesting answer, and ought to make her either drop or heavily revise the point she was attempting to make.
    I could go on (regular readers will have little doubt of that) but will stop there.

* Hello Fatima.
    Barbel wrote:
    ...Does anyone, unlike the writer, know the exact number of women James Bond has killed directly or indirectly in the films? ... It's the writer's use of the word "indirectly" that blurs the issue and takes much of the meaning out of her point ...
    well there were one or two that he spun around at the last moment to use as a human shield. I guess that's a degree of indirectness.
    But Austin Powers did that sort of thing better.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,349Chief of Staff
    That isn't Bond killing them- Fiona, for example, is killed by her own men- which was the writer's point.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,138MI6 Agent
    all they're really telling us is it was written by somebody other than Fleming and although it is superficially like one of Fleming's, it reflects another man's interests.
    Barbel is quite right, ...Spy... is the weirdest Fleming book, and is a much weirder deviation from the formula than is Colonel Sun or any other continuation novel I can think of.
    But of those other continuation books, Pearson's 007 Biography is much weirder, especially with its framing device. Or Wood's novelizations that recast outrageous Lewis Gilbert fantasy plots in Flemingesque language. Amis' novel is almost convincingly canonical compared to some of what came after.

The article used an inappropriate photo to illustrate the Amis content in SPECTRE. Maybe wishing to avoid spoilers?
    xspectre_67_500.jpg.pagespeed.ic.cnAVTek9tV.jpg
    torture%2Bsun.JPG
    Spectre-Bond-brain-drill-600x256.png
    EDIT: found some photos online that do illustrate the adapted Amis content. The scene actually looks a bit Clockwork Orange-ish, now I think about it.

That top photo is classic literary Bond. Puts me in mind of a Fay Dalton painting.
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,802MI6 Agent
    “I’d just say write a new story. I mean James Bond is a character that Ian Fleming created."

Sensible woman :007)
    https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/311837
    DC tells Entrepreneur magazine to embrace the lazy.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,802MI6 Agent
    I don't think Bond should stop womanizing, but I don't think there is any problem in Bond accepting strong and independent women.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent

Seeming more and more likely to me that "The Property Of A Lady" will be Bond 25's title
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Seeming more and more likely to me that "The Property Of A Lady" will be Bond 25's title

Yes, I always thought that would be a very good title to complement the more personal approach to Bond of the Craig era. I also hope (if it is indeed used for Bond 25) that we might get another auction scene in a Bond film again as I love those in spy films.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    complement the more personal approach to Bond of the Craig era. I also hope (if it is indeed used for Bond 25) that we might get another auction scene in a

My only doubt is because DC said he did not like the title, but as we know, he changes his mind lots anyway lol
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Yes, I always thought that would be a very good title to complement the more personal approach to Bond of the Craig era. I also hope (if it is indeed used for Bond 25) that we might get another auction scene in a Bond film again as I love those in spy films.

Notwithstanding the fact that it’s already a Fleming title, I’ve always thought that “The Property of a Lady” was far more suited to a Tintin comic than a Bond novel. Anyway I still think it would be a shocking title for a big budget Bond movie - it sounds far more like a period piece than an action movie and as crazy as it sounds, I think that minor factor would have a noticeable affect at the box office.
    https://www.maxim.com/rides/top-ten-james-bond-cars-2018-4
    10 of the most iconic Bond cars. Maxim
    JTM wrote:
    Notwithstanding the fact that it’s already a Fleming title, I’ve always thought that The Property of a Lady was far more suited to a Tintin comic than a Bond novel.
    which Tintin adventure do you think has a similar title?
    Wikipedia has all 24 titles listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin#List_of_titles
    The closest I can see is The Castafiore Emerald, but only because I know the story (the Emerald is the property of a lady named Bianca Castafiore). If I didn't know it, I would think that one sounded like a Robert Ludlum title (as does The Calculus Affair). Quite a few of those Tintin titles would be good for a Bond film! Better than all these Die, Die, Kill, Kill variations they keep coming up with.

But I wouldn't like to see the filmmakers use the title Property of a Lady, because they've already adapted the story. I don't want any more fiascos where they use a Fleming title and don't use any elements at all from the story. I would rather see genuine Fleming content as the plot, with an all-new title.
    If they did use the title, they would have to somehow include elements of the plot that weren't used in Octopussy, and to be fair all Octopussy used was the auction setting, and a different Faberge object. It's not a very substantial story, but the lady in question was completely different from the film's sexy Magda. Maria Freudenstein was a Soviet mole in MI6, driven to treason because she was so very ugly, life left her no other options. The auctioning of the Faberge Emerald Sphere, valued at £100,000, was her means of getting paid by the Russians for the work she'd done for them.
    So if they use the title, I would hope they would introduce the incredibly ugly and treasonous Maria Freudenstein, and somehow expand her evil activities into an epic world threatening plot that only Bond can save us from. Maybe it's time for another Rosa Klebb/Irma Bunt type?