Pros and Cons: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

14567810»

Comments

• zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I love OHMSS but am not blind to its shortcomings. I noticed on a recent watch just how much Dialogue takes place off camera, or with George's back to us or somehow obscured. Very careful structure and camera placement protect George from too much exposure. However when he shines he really shines, and in the modern Patois truly 'nails it'
    He would I'm sure have developed into a great Bond.

I don't share the evident love for Telly's Blofeld but he does not detract for me. Great physicality and surprising sensitivity, plus a great score and superb locations make it 'something of a must ' for me.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    My criticisms:

- Though I defend Lazenby's performance here, imo he doesn't quite reach greatness.

-The switch from womanizing Bond at the clinic to Bond who wishes to commit to Tracy didn't work for me.

However, still a great film, and a 9/10 from me.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,549MI6 Agent
    -The switch from womanizing Bond at the clinic to Bond who wishes to commit to Tracy didn't work for me.

I've known a few womanizers who suddenly meet the right person and settle down. You never think they're going to get married, and they do. And then some of them get divorced.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    I'll also say that I prob wouldn't watch this film again on it's own. I think it works better for me only in Bondathons.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,272MI6 Agent
    When you see whats going on with coronavirus now , maybe this movie wasnt so unrealistic :#
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,272MI6 Agent
    edited January 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pdABGrpCiU

Only 2 complete sets have been for sale (in public) since i started collecting around 1998 or so , this is one of those sets (sorry but im not tech skilled)