Morland Cigarettes

Comments

• huuntaberhuuntaber Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    That looks wonderful! Have you decided to make the blue box then?
  • SFPROPSSFPROPS USAPosts: 380MI6 Agent
    I'm investigating my box options now. I've got what I think would be fairly accurate blue leather textured paper if I do the more modern blue box. I've been shown an example where the box was a tan/white swirl color with a brown logo as well. It was a little wider than the late 60's box.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Yes, exceedingly cool! Me want bad!!!!

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Would you do a run of the old boxes too. Would be great to get both.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Looking into it. It all depends on if I can track down the right boxes or have them made without incurring a huge up front cost.
    Okay... based on research and experiments I think it's actually going to be easier (and cheaper) to make some real "Morland" cigarettes than to go to the trouble of figuring out some kind of filler wrapped in paper. I've been looking into very inexpensive cigarette rolling machines and they create pretty consistent and professional looking cigarettes. Now I've just got to find cigarette papers that are packaged flat. The creases in the ones I've got now (Bugler) are making things a little difficult (but not impossible).

Now, for a small proof of concept. It does look like this thing is going to work fine!
    IMG_2347.jpg

That's "Classic" sized cigarette paper with three foil gold bands. I've got to tweak my graphics file a little and adjust some procedures to make it easier to (more) mass produce these, but I think this is going to work!
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    That's looking good SFP! -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    AWESOME, Kurt. Those are "SMOKIN'"
    Ed
  • _M_M From Anaheim-Lives Aberdeen UKPosts: 45MI6 Agent
    Wow looks like this is going to turn out great! Good work!
    Okay... feedback time.

I've seen a few photos of either original or reproduction cigarettes and think I can do the gold bands fine. However, not seen in these photos (and maybe the reproductions don't have this) is the "HANDMADE" lettering on the cigarette. Here's the description of what the cigarettes looked like:

"The cigarettes themselves were of regular length, not kingsize, and unfiltered, naturally. The name Morland never appeared. Instead, they had a triple gold band at one end and, along the edge, in tiny capitals, the word 'HANDMADE'."

How would you interpret "along the edge" in this case? On one side of the paper perpendicular to the gold bands near the butt? Around the circumference of the butt of the cigarette going around the rim? On the other side's circumference?

My guess would be what I first mentioned - near the butt perpendicular to the gold bands. Thoughts? Anyone know for sure?
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    Perpendicular to the gold bands would be my first guess also. Around the circumference would look less cool and be less readable.
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
    I've seen photos of old cigarette papers with "HANDMADE" centered along the long edge, close the the gum line.
    Yes- many years ago I used to smoke white menthol cigarettes (St Moritz, which had one large gold ring, and other brands) and some of them had calligraphic writing along the long edge.

You can make it out here:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4049/4297364027_c2c052fc4f.jpg

-{
    -{
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I think it's very hard to speculate on descriptions of how things look. One person's idea or interpretation can be very different to the truth. You may take someone's description as gospel, only to be disappointed due to their description being inaccurate.

In this case I would interpret 'the edge' to mean the end of the cigarette. A cylinder has 3 surfaces and two edges.

However, using common sense and examples of other cigarettes, it's more likely to be the case that the lettering runs in line with the length of the cigarette.

Never ask what people think of a description, use other examples and common sense instead to avoid added confusion.

MG -{
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    "I think it's very hard to speculate on descriptions of how things look."

Tell me about it! However, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do much other than speculate on this particular issue. I've yet to find an original example of the cigarette in question. Photos of the few that are available look to be reproductions (they appear to just have a band with the gold rings wrapped around a pre-made cigarette) that don't show any "HANDMADE" typesetting on them and the people who I've been in contact with who have boxes don't know anything about the cigarettes themselves.

I agree that "common sense" would go for something along the gum line. Just looking for a "second opinion" in case what I think is common sense is really nonsense. For all I know, I could make 100 of these with the typing along the gum line and then everyone tell me that "every knows that the writing was cylindrical around the end, stupid!"
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Indeed, totally right and obviously it's something you need to be sure on.

If you can't find photographic research material of the cig you're trying to copy I'd say have a look at other brands and what they did.

Thinking about it with the industrial cap on, I'd say production wise, it'd be easier to have the letting printed on the gun line too.

There must be a collector of cigarettes out there somewhere who can assist.

THIS is the level of research and detail others don't appreciate. But let's not goooo there, ted doesn't like being aeronautically transported from the infant carrier....

Good luck with the research, I think it's a safe assumption that 'along the gum line' is the general thought here, but I know what it's like when you have to be sure.

MG -{
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    This thread shows old Egyptian cigarette papers with HANDMADE in both orientations:
    http://www.rollyourownresource.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=756&hilit=malta
    Just judging from the photos in the thread, I would guess the gum line, especially since the writing is described as along the edge, not on the end, as the rings are.
    The Morlands have it running up the body on the edge of the stuck down gumline edge. Dead centre between the rings and the end.
    edited February 2015
    Butt end or lit end? Also, if you know, with the writing black or in gold?
    H at butt end. Gold and black/greyish. They changed it over the years.
    ?

Rolling.jpg
    SFPROPS wrote:
    ?

Rolling.jpg

No. HANDMADE is the other side of the rings. Wider font with space between letters
    Okay...with some help, I think I've got the cigarette design work done!
    SMOKE EM' IF YOU GOT EM'!

IMG_2353.jpg

First try using a little rolling machine with tobacco. Still some tweaking to do. I'm also going to try to put a few together using a wooden rod covered with paper.
    Filthy habit :D

But great work! -{ :))
    Are you printing the design onto premade cigarette papers or are you making your own?
    Those are regular cigarette rolling papers. Tobacco inside. You can smoke these.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Looks good!

You may end up with a side business making custom cigarettes.

Are you planning on selling the box/cigarettes ... going to be alot of work to fill just one box!
    Probably won't be able to do entire boxes. Maybe a few real, a few fake.
    Those were prototypes. Whatever I do, the bands will be pretty much aligned.