(Spoilers for NTTD) Shakespeare's Bond: Work area (All welcome!)

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,954MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

westward sez:

I see the brainwashing warehouse neighboring the one where the parrot was found.

After Dalby's death we get this as my proposed capper to the play:

Ross and Palmer exit the warehouse.

Palmer: I could o’ been killed.

Ross: That’s why we pay you, Palmer.

A young girl approaches the pair.

Young Girl: Excuse me, Sirs. Hast thou perhapst seen my pet parrot. He was lost near here. He don't talk much, but makes a lot of funny sounds.

Ross and Palmer exchange a look.

Ross: Actually, we have. Dost thou have a name, young lady?

Young Girl: (curtseys) Irene, Sir. Irene Penelope Cress.

Ross: Nice to meet you, Young Miss Cress. I am The Major and this is Mister Harry Palmer.

Palmer: My name ain’t ‘Arry.

I'm getting "It looks like there aren't many great matches for your search" when I try to Google the answer to Irene Penelope Cress. but nice to know they were following the wrong clue all this time.

the warehouse Dalby tells Palmer to meet him is the same one where they found the tape earlier, presumably where the original brainwashings took place. Palmer was brainwashed elsewhere (theres no sign of all the equipment used, or the phony cell, and he would have recognised where he was when he escaped). So the bad guys must have moved the whole set-up in a hurry, then relocated elsewhere before they brainwashed Palmer.

but yes suspicious he asks Palmer to meet him there, its another clue Dalby was already familiar with the building before they searched it.

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent

I made up the girl's name. Happy to know my obscure references have put you on a Google standby. You may need it for my coda.

I thought the final scene was where the new cell and brainwashing facility was. Now I have to rewatch. In either case the joke works.

Regarding the weapon Harry uses, we have the choice of sword, flintlock, wheellock, or crossbow.

My jokes for the garage exchange are silly and anachronistic. The Brits will need the Google. Hope to have it up today or tomorrow.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,954MI6 Agent

thatsa good idea, make the brits look up the subtle references for a change! I'm forever being made to look up bit players in longforgotten Carry On films, and yet the sophisticated SCTV and Seinfeld references I make meet with blank stares!

also I think crossbow sounds most scary and would definitely keep both Dalby and Ross under control

westward sez:

I thought the final scene was where the new cell and brainwashing facility was.

maybe I just assumed, but I dont think Harry'd agree to meet Dalby at the place he just escaped from, theres guards there who'd shoot him on sight. Certainly if he did theyd meet outside the building not inside. and theres no sign of all the equipment and stagesets at the warehouse where they do meet, its empty like the earlier warehouse. also he already suspects Dalby and is only going to meet in a situation that he can control, not unite him with the other bad guys.

all that said, I did assume. and that first warehouse must have been cleared out very quickly. in the book I think they find more evidence left behind when they explore it, rooms within rooms and strange equipment, but in the film its just empty except that one stove with the tape inside.

you know this project is good in that you gave me an excuse to watch a confusing film very closely!

edited March 2022

[something like this, probably needs a rewrite but for starters...]

(Dalby's office. Dalby sits staring into space waving finger like a baton, uttering a strange unpleasant noise)

Dalby: hum, hum, hum-diddly-hum ... wait where was I? oh yes, diddly-hum, now what comes next? another hum or another diddly?

(Palmer runs into Dalby's office, then stops and holds the door for balance, struggling to catch breath)

Palmer: puff, puff, puff...

Dalby: What's all this Palmer? why aren't you in the field doing legwork?

Palmer: sir, I jus gots anuffer lead! Come quick! (tries to wave Dalby out door)

Dalby: Palmer, you interrupted me when I was busy humming out-of-date military marches! I ought to discipline you for this!

Palmer: But sir, its a right solid lead from, er, a trusted informant (aside) I dare not tell this old stick in the mud my informants are all street urchins! (/aside) Budgerigar and Parakeet are in a warehouse on Creepy Olde Warehouse Lane on the other side of town this very moment!

Dalby: I've told you once I want more legwork, less inspired hunches! Now run along!

Palmer: sir, I was just at the bloomin warehouse, I's seen 'em go inside! Speaking o bloody legwork I just ran clear cross London to tells you!

Dalby; and this was worth interrupting my humming out-of-date military marches was it?

Palmer: You said you wanted to find these rascals! I knows where they are right now! Look, less you'n'me round up the uffer agents an we'll surround the place while theyre still inside!

Dalby: Now you know it's not that easy Palmer, If you wish a warrant to open private property and conduct a search you must fill out a form Whoo(P)Cush(N)SFX-dash-plfft!

Palmer: (slaps hand to forehead, stoops wearily) ah no sir, not a bloody Whoo(P)Cush(N)SFX-dash-plfft!, thass 150 bleedin pages long!!!

Dalby: You mind your language you escapee from the criminal underclass! There's only one way to obtain a warrant to open private property and conduct a search and that is to fill out a form Whoo(P)Cush(N)SFX-dash-plfft. And make sure you use the correct colour ink or you shall have to begin all over again and pay for the paper you have wasted!

Palmer: (on knees, begging) ah no sir, please, theyre right! there! in the floggin' warehouse right! now!, I swear...

Dalby: I've told you once Palmer. Now get on with it!

Palmer: aw sir... ('arry slumps out of Dalby's office defeated; Dalby resumes his cheerful but tuneless humming)

Dalby: now where was I? oh yes: hum, hum, hum-diddly-hum, diddly-hum; hum, hum, hum! diddly-hum, diddly-hum

I quite like that one! tis a fine Imperial March!

[that gets that plot point out of the way and we get a nice bit of Dalby revealing character, but please add more to taste]

Not only Dalby's character, but it delays the search, giving time for a warning to reach Parakeet from Dalby and letting them get away.

edited March 2022

oh exactly, that seems to be an unspoken gag in the film. We are meant to laff about the names of the forms. Then Dalby scolds the men for arriving at the warehouse five minutes late, but more time than that was wasted on paperwork when Dalby and men should have been on their way right away. Another subtle clue somethings off with Dalby.

EDIT: I just realised of Dalby did add another "-diddly-hum" to that first bar, itd be Darth Vader's Imperial March! ("hum, hum, hum-diddly-hum, diddly-hum") aha! it may take Palmer to the last scene to figure it out, but he is so obviously the villain!

I'm going to add that in.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,407Chief of Staff
    edited March 2022

These are great scenes, guys.

Edit- I must try to write something today.

edited March 2022

How's this?

(Dalby's office. Dalby sits staring into space waving his finger like a baton, uttering a strange unpleasant noise.)

Dalby: Hum, hum, hum-diddly-hum ... wait where was I? Oh yes, diddly-hum, now what comes next? another hum or another diddly?

(Palmer runs into Dalby's office, then stops and holds ye door for balance, struggling to catch his breath.)

Palmer: Puff, puff, puff...

Dalby: What's all this Palmer? Why aren't you in ye field doing legwork?

Palmer: Sir, I just gots anuffer lead! Come quick! (Tries to wave Dalby out ye door.)

Dalby: Palmer, you interrupted me when I was busy humming out-of-date military marches! I ought to discipline you for this!

Palmer: But sir, its a right solid lead from, er, a trusted informant. (Aside.) I dare not tell this old stick in ye mud my informants are all street urchins! (Aloud.) Budgerigar and Parakeet are in a warehouse on Creepy Olde Warehouse Lane on ye other side of town this very moment!

Dalby: I hast told thee once I want more legwork, less inspired hunches! Now run along!

Palmer: Sir, I was just at ye bloomin warehouse, I's seen 'em go inside! Speaking o’ bloody legwork I just ran clear cross London to tells you!

Dalby: And this was worth interrupting my humming out-of-date military marches was it?

Palmer: You said you wanted to find these rascals! I knows where they are right now! Look, let’s you'n'me round up ye uffer agents an we'll surround ye place while theyre still inside!

Dalby: Now you know it's not that easy Palmer. If you wish a warrant to open private property and conduct a search thee must fill out a form Whoo(P)Cush(N)SFX-dash-plfft!

Palmer: (Slaps hand to forehead, stoops wearily.) Ah no sir, not a bloody Whoo(P)Cush(N)SFX-dash-plfft!, thass 150 bleedin pages long!!!

Dalby: You mind your language you escapee from ye criminal underclass! There ist only one way to obtain a warrant to open private property and conduct a search and that ist to fill out a form Whoo(P)Cush(N)SFX-dash-plfft. And make sure you use the correct colour ink or you shall have to begin all over again and pay for ye paper you have wasted!

Palmer: (On knees, begging.) Ah no sir, please, they’re right! There! In ye floggin' warehouse right! Now! I swear...

Dalby: I've told you once Palmer. Now get on with it!

Palmer: Aw sir... ('arry slumps out of Dalby's office defeated; Dalby resumes his cheerful but tuneless humming.)

Dalby: Now where was I? Oh yes: hum, hum, hum-diddly-hum, diddly-hum; hum, hum, hum! Diddly-hum, diddly-hum. I quite like that one! 'Tis a fine Imperial March!

(In ye office Palmer shares with Carswell.)

Carswell: Now ye start a Whoo(P)Cush(N)SFX-dash-plfft by filling in this bit here,’tis thine name, see? Your name would be Harry, of course?

Palmer: Yeah, ‘tis right. (Turns to audience, hand to mouth as if sharing a secret.) Now my name's not 'arry!

Carswell: (Writing very carefully.) Hair... Ree! Now, that’s done it! Looks good! Now let me see…. (Counts.) Only nineteen more pages to go and we're done with this one! And after that we can start on those! (Points to overflowing pile of papers tumbling off table onto floor.)

Palmer: Thou hast got to be kidding me, surely!

Carswell: Nay, and my name ist not-

Palmer: This form here- we must skip it and get moving as quickly as possible.

Carswell: Nay, nay, Palmer. Not without filling in this form, old man. Section 26, Paragraph 5. Need to know. Sure thou doth understand.

(Palmer sits and begins ye onerous task, desperate to get it done as quickly as possible.)

(Dalby’s office. Palmer bursts in.)

Palmer: Here, sir. I ‘ave filled in ye Whoo(P)Cush(N)SFX-dash-plfft form!

Dalby: Oh, thou hast? (He takes ye form and examines it.) But nay, Palmer- this ist in blue ink and ye regulations doth clearly state that it must be in black ink.

Palmer: (Dismayed.) But sir-

Dalby: No “buts”, Palmer. Now go away and do this again- and I shalt be docking ye cost of this from thine wages!

(Half an hour later….)

Palmer: (Wearily.) Here, sir, thine form- in black ink.

Dalby: Let me see…. Hmm, this would appear to be correct. All right, Palmer, let us go.

A Warehouse. Dalby, Palmer and a dozen worker types have shown up and entered ye warehouse and it ist empty.

Worker Type: Sorry squire, there’s nuffink ere. Whyntcha just pay us an’ we'll be off n still ‘av time t’catch a game?

Dalby: You were instructed to be here precisely when high noon was above ye local steeple and you arrived five minutes late

Worker Type: Naw look, guv, we busts opens warehouses all round London town and dere's lotsa churchsteeples, and each has ‘er own local relative high noon, so who's to say whevver we's five minnits late or five minnits early?

Dalby: I'm to say, local church steeple takes precedence. There shalt not be standarised time zones for another three centuries! Therefore time ist measured in relation to the closest church steeple. You arrived late, thou art fired without pay! Be off with you!

Worker Type: (Exits with mates.) Bleedin toff!

Palmer: ‘Ats right civil of ye, sir. Ye know if I ‘ad been right bout this ‘ere warehouse I'da been a ‘ero!

Dalby: But thou wast wrong Palmer! Don't you ever fill out a Whoo(P)Cush(N)SFX-dash-plfft again, Palmer, dost thou hear?

(Dalby struts off stage right, Harry shuffles round ye warehouse set muttering to himself, kicking stray detritus, when something flies from beneath his feet.)

Palmer: Cor! Major Dalby sir, come’n’see, itsa whatsis, a watchyermacallit, a carrier pigeon!

Dalby: (Returning to stage centre.) A carrier pigeon thou sayest?

Palmer: Naw, ‘ats not right, not a carrier pigeon, 'tis one of ‘em birds from ye tropics all ye pyrates are bringin' back to London wif ‘em. Y’know, ye silly lookin’ ones ‘at talk! A carrier parrot! They repeat what they ‘ear people say!

Dalby: And you sayest such birds talk, dost thou? Perhaps we'd better take this one back to headquarters. I say, wouldst thou care for some lunch?

thats tied it altogether nicely, boss, I think we got most of the first act done. Lots of nice Dalby content!

We just need a quick scene where theyre trying to get the parrot to talk and all it does is make silly sound effects, Dalby can abuse 'arry a bit more here, saying things like "you must be the most incompetent agent ever, I sent you out to find Parakeet and instead you've brought back a parrot! they are not the same thing you know! dont you know anything about birds?" and 'arry could aside "oh I knows a fing or two about birds alright!"

and the parrot says things like "ah-oo-ga! poopding poopding poopding ! boyoyoyoyoing!!" and other silly sound effects to taste while Jean, Jock and the entire staff crowd round and try to interest it with crackers, mirrors and other things that ordinarily amuse parrots. Humans: "polly wanna cracker? please? no? give us a kiss? no, dont know that one either. Its like this Parrot doesnt even know how to talk proper english!"

Yep, that's coming soon. 👍

Dalby’s office. Ye staff are all crowded round his desk, upon which sits ye parrot.

Dalby: You must be ye most incompetent agent ever, Palmer, I send thee out after Parakeet and instead thou hast brought back a parrot! They are not the same thing, you know! Don’t thee know anything about birds?

Palmer: (Aside.) Oh, I knows a fing or two about birds alright!

Jean: (To ye parrot, obviously.) Who’s a pretty boy then?

Carswell: Polly want a cracker?

(Ye parrot gives them a look of disdain.)

Palmer: ‘Tis like ‘e don’t know ‘ow ter speak proper English. Here, what’s this on his ankle?

Carswell: His ankle? What is it?

Palmer: ‘Tis ye joint between his leg and his foot, but that’s not important right now.

Jean: It doth look like a ring of some sort.

Dalby: Let me see…. It hath writing. It says “One ring to rule them all, one ring to-”

Palmer: Nay, nay, sir, it says “Ipcress”.

Carswell: Ipcress?

Jean: Ipcress?

Parrot: Ipcress! Ipcress!

Dalby: What on earth ist an, what did they say, “ipcleft”?

Palmer: Nay, sir, Ipcress.

Parrot: Ipcress! Ipcress!

Palmer: Well, ‘e seems to know what it’s all about.

Parrot: What’s it all about, Alfie?

Palmer: Ssh, my name’s not Alfie.

Parrot: Give it time, Harry, give it time.

Jean: Oh, he ist talking away no problem now.

Parrot: ATAC to St Cyrils! ATAC to St Cyrils!

Dalby: I do not understand.

(Ye parrot begins to make a series of strange sounds.)

Parrot: Ah-oo-ga! Poopding poopding poopding ! Boyoyoyoyoing!!

Palmer: Now I do not understand, either.

Carswell: I shalt take him to ye lab and study these sounds.

Palmer: Just make sure to feed him.

Carswell: Feed him? With what?

Parrot: Polly wants a cracker!

good stuff @Barbel instead of trying to transcribe silly sound effects (which I realised is not as easy as it "sounds") it looks like youve used Michael Caine references. Dalby mustve been worried when the parrot started to talk, but relieved when it didnt say anything relevant. I picture him watching long enough to be sure the Parrot wont say anything useful, then strutting off happily humming his out-of-date military marches, confident his staff are wasting their time.

I'll try to think up more silly Palmer/Dalby dialogs for the bandshell scene. I picture 'arry being worried any of his mates will see him out in public with this old fashioned square, like a teenager with his parents.

I looked up a list of Mozarts compositions on wikipedia and i'm baffled, I thought some of these had proper titles we could make elizabethan wordplay with, but theyre mostly just listed by instrument and number! so what does 'arry listen to thats so much better than what Dalby listens to? I still think Asterix style anachronisms will be funnier than historically accurate composers no-ones heard of. Did 'arry like modern jazz in the books or was that just Deighton? in the film he only talks about Mozart, whereas there was definitely references to Miles and Monk and the gang in the book. and at least I know a few Miles and Monk titles we could play with, but if 'arry dont listen to that stuff then thats not relevant.

'arry could insult Dalby's musical tastes by saying "aw that stuff was cornball back in a days o' Boadicea!" and putdowns like that (I'm sure Boadicea's army had their own marching music, just maybe not with so many sousaphones)

but that doesnt tell us what he does like! I'm surprised the food was easier than the music!

edited March 2022

I had Dalby trying to stall by pretending not to see the word "Ipcress" then mispronouncing it.

Here's a first draft of the bandshell, using some of your ideas. It needs more work, of course.

A park. A brass band plays. Dalby sits in ye audience, Palmer enters and sits beside him.

Palmer: Major Dalby-

Dalby: Sssh! (His hand beats out ye rhythm of ye tune being played upon his stick.)

Palmer: But, sir-

Dalby: Sshh, Palmer! This ist one of mine favourites.

(Palmer sits impatiently waiting for ye tune to finish. When it does, he speaks again.)

Palmer: Sir, do ye mind telling me what we art here for?

Dalby: Why ye rush, Palmer?

Palmer: I am scared any of me mates might see me ‘ere wif this old-fashioned stuff.

Dalby: Culture and ye art strangers, Palmer. Just enjoy ye beautiful music.

Palmer: Beautiful music? That ist a military march!

Dalby: Of course.

Palmer: Aw, sir, that was cornball back in ye days of Boadicea!

Dalby: Her army did not have sousaphones. Now ssh, here come ye next one.

(Ye band begins again. Palmer gets more impatient. When ye next tune finishes, he tries again.)

Palmer: Major, ‘tis most important we-

Dalby: Be quiet, Palmer. Now I know you think I'm an old fuddy-duddy, a bit of a pompous git with a broom stuck up his buttocks, and all that sort of rot, as you young folk say. But I "dig" a few "toons" myself, and fancy I can "get down" with the best of them! (Dalby bops his head and pumps his fist to ye marching music with ye least sense of groove ever.)

Palmer: Yes I can see that, sir. (Looks round to see if anybody he knows is watching.) Most, er, embarrassing sir. But do go on.

(Dalby reaches out behind him and exchanges papers with ye man behind, who gets up and leaves.)

Dalby: Now, Palmer, thou wert saying?

And here's the following scene for the exchange. I may wish to tweak a couple things.

*************************************************************************************

Tis nightfall. Two coaches enter a yard of a business closed for the night. The yard is filled with half-painted carriages and coaches, some in garish colors. Shadows loom everywhere. A sign on the fence gives the business name.

The coaches stop at a respectable distance from one another. Dalby, Palmer, a Doctor, and enough agents to fill a jester coach disembark. Palmer and the a few of the agents raise crossbows and aim it at the other coach. One agent is carrying a wooden chest with a large "£" on it; he, the Doctor, and another nondescript agent take point.

Likewise, a number of men alight from the other coach. Two are carrying a stretcher with an unconscious Alchemist Radcliffe. Grantby and his valet come into view. Parakeet and the two men carrying the stretcher take lead position. Several of their brethren have aimed weapons at the opposing coach.

Dalby: I did nay expect you to oversee ye exchange thyself.

Grantby: I must earn my commission.

Dalby: Quite. Standard Exchange Protocol, then. (To Grantby) Doest though object to me starting?

(Grantby gestures his acquiescence.)

Dalby: Excellent.

(Dalby begins to move his hands as if playing a snare drum.)

Dalby: Approach. (The six men approach each other, walking in lockstep, almost like a synchronized march.) Boomshakalaka, Boomshakalaka, Boomshakalaka, Boom!

The two groups have stopped at the midpoint between the coaches. The stretcher carrying Alchemist Radcliffe and the small chest are placed on the ground.

Grantby: (Taking over as per Standard Exchange Protocol) Bow to your partner.

The Doctor and Parakeet give one another a nod.

Grantby: Do-si-do.

The Doctor and Parakeet pass one another, turning such that they are back to back and almost touching as they pass. The Doctor kneels and examines the Alchemist while Parakeet kneels and opens the chest of money.

Parakeet: Oi. Thou couldn’t have used just Sovereigns?

Dalby: It’s all we had on such short notice!

Parakeet: This will take a bit to count.

Palmer: (to himself) Get on with it, then.

Dalby: Have somewhere to be, Palmer?

Palmer: Aye. I ‘ave a date lined up for tonight.Dalby gives him a disdainful sneer and turns back to the exchange.

The doctor puts his ear Radcliffe’s chest and then looks into his eyes. Radcliffe begins to awaken from his drugged slumber. Parakeet meanwhile has removed the different denominations of coins and stacked them on the ground to be counted.

Doctor: What is thy name?

Alchemist Radcliffe: Radcliffe.

Doctor: Who is thy Minister in Parliament?

Alchemist Radcliffe: I know not. And really, who doth care?

Doctor: (To Dalby) He’s sounds fine!

Parakeet: You’ve made me lose my place with all thy talking. I have to start again. (He starts counting each stack of gold again.) Let’s see. Twenty shillings to a pound….These Angels are seven shillings and six pence... (eventually) All here, Sir! (He places the coins back into the chest)

Grantby: Let’s finish up then. Gentlemen...RAZzle DAZzle!!!

The Doctor and Parakeet circle 90 degrees while the other four men circle around them 180 degrees and trade places. It all looks remarkably well choreographed. Dalby’s agents pick up the stretcher.

Dalby: (Again playing the air drum) Why did the chicken cross the road? (The men start walking in lockstep to their respective groups) To get from the left to the right. He stepped out of rank, got hit by a tank, he ain't no chicken no more, no!

Grantby and his men pile into their coach while Radcliffe is helped into Dalby’s coach. The enemy agents drive off.

Audience Member: There’s that purple fella’ again lurking!

Palmer turns and sees the Suspicious Stranger in the Eggplant Purple Doublet lurking behind a half painted carriage.

Palmer: Look Out! We’ve been betrayed.

The Suspicious Stranger begins to run away. Palmer quickly fires his crossbow and the Suspicious Stranger collapses onto the ground next to a silver carriage made by ye DB5th Earl of Aston and ye Lord Martin. Palmer and Darby run over to ye fallen man.

Dalby: Who art thou? Who dost thou work for?

Suspicious Stranger: Mon Dieu, je suis assassiné.

The Suspicious Stranger dies.

Palmer. I think ‘e’s French, Sir.

Dalby gives Palmer a withering glare. He goes through the dead man's clothing and pulls out a piece of paper.

Dalby: An introductory letter from Louis de Revol, the French Foreign Minister and Secretary of State. The man was a Monsieur Aubergine.

Palmer: Aubergine...that’s French for eggplant. A little on the nose with ‘is choice of attire.

Dalby: Stop thinking about food Palmer. You’ll have to cancel your date with the Widow Courtney. You’ve just killed a French agent.

Audience Member: See? We ‘ad reason to be suspicious o’ him!

edited March 2022

good start to the bandshell scene @Barbel

I suggested this exchange on the previous page, perhaps you can work it in? these two could argue music for 100 lines straight and I'd be happy! the bit in the film where Nigel Green leans over and says "its got a good beat" while doing the stiffest headbop ever made me laff out loud both times I watched the film

Dalby: Now I know you think I'm an old fuddy-duddy, Palmer, a bit of a pompous git with a broom stuck up his buttocks, and all that sort of rot, as you young folk say. But I "dig" a few "toons" myself, and fancy I can "get down" with the best of them! (Dalby bops head and pumps fist to marching music with least sense of groove ever)

Palmer: Yes I can see that sir (looks round to see if anybody he knows is watching) Most, er, embarassing sir. But do go on.

@Westward_Drift I'm at my dayjob right now, I'll read your new scene later when its suppertime, (after I boil beans in me iron cauldron over open flame, trying not to set off the smoke alarm)

edited March 2022

@caractacus potts I've added those lines above. Keep prompting me if I miss anything!

@Westward_Drift I've just given your scene a quick once over, will study it in more detail soon.

So I'm a textbook writer now, am I? Lol.

This is what happens when I get assigned scenes that originally had few lines of dialogue.

edited March 2022

Love the not caring who is his Minister!

Love the choreography!

And the jokes!

We now have to do some backtracking and establish and/or build up Radcliffe and the Suspicious Stranger so they can pay off here.

Edit: I've given Radcliffe a namecheck earlier.

I have the Suspicious Stranger and Audience Member in the Library scene so we are good there.

We need the opening scene where Radcliffe's kidnapped from a boat on the Thames. And that he is a leading alchemist in the transmutation of lead and mercury.

The film's garage scene was so choreographed I couldn't help but laugh at it. Imagine the dance lessons at MI5 and MI6. Except for the square dancing moves that it what happened. Razzle dazzle indeed.

I look forward to all the British readers googling Earl Scheib. Pity them if they never saw Stripes.

mmmmthats the fact, Jack!

I still had to look up Earl Scheib

do we need to show the alchemist kidnapped? thats another scene with almost no dialog, your specialty @Westward_Drift

I should probably remind you they did not have railways in 1590

but now I think, the first scene is echoed by the scene where 'arry imself is kidnapped, which should be coming up next, so there should be similarities.

when 'arry's carriage is waylaid by the highwayman, maybe can it be Dennis Moore demanding lupins, then as Dennis is dragged into nonsensical argument by the occupants of the carriage he is knocked aside by a much tuffer rival highwayman who kidnaps 'arry?

edited March 2022

That's why I mentioned in the library scene he was abducted from a boat on the Thames. It can be changed to a highwayman kidnapping. No, we don't seed to show it. It can be in the original briefing along with his alchemy specialty. That can be changed to whatever.

I grew up with all the Earl Scheib commercials. "I can paint any car for $99.95."

I dare you to rewatch the garage exchange and take all those choreographed movements seriously.

a boat o the Thames! didn't think of that!

of course, 'arry is trying to leave the country, why waste time travelling by carriage to the coast when youre already on a river?

either way I dont mind, I didnt have any other ideas for the scene. I'm more interested in the dialog in the bandshell scene and the final confrontaton.

course 'arry doesnt have to try to leave the country, 'e just has to make imself scarce.

It's now mentioned in the briefing scene that Radcliffe is the latest alchemist to go missing.

Is that enough or should we actually see it, so we can draw a parallel with Palmer being kidnapped later?

I say keep it short. It's a play and Radcliffe is the McGuffin. The briefing sets it up and gives us the protagonist right away.

If we're eliminating the body in Harry's apartment and the death of Carswell, what if Dalby says to Harry the French have put a bounty on his head. Gives him a reason to run while also providing another clue Dalby is the bad guy.

All fine by me. And caractacus will like Dalby getting more to do.

I'm a Dalby fan!

to me his silly behaviour is much more interesting than the actual plot

one of these days we need a thread where we compare and contrast the various Spy Bosses from all the Spy Films over the years. Until the very last scene we just accept Dalby as a particularly eccentric Spy Boss. but theres many other cinematic Spy Bosses who use their limited screen time to completely steal the film from the supposed star, so Dalby should be part of that list.

(Ross on the other hand gets a few good lines, but is a fairly lowkey performance. I do like when he threatens 'arry with a shopping cart)