Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    That is very true, DP.

Q- Ah there you are, Double O Seventy, now plug in your hearing aid and pay attention. This guitar converts to a motorboat...
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Well, Q is immortal, as is Bond. I don't see a problem with that logic :)) .
    a reasonable rate of return
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Three words: Return On Investment. :007)

Is not everything when the total numbers are tanking because the main actor is nit accepted by the audience :p
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    edited June 2017
    Higgins, you may think I am crazy, but in my country crazy people can legally get guns. Do not piss off crazy Americans.
    :))
    (The preceding was a JOKE, not to be confused with SERIOUSNESS)
    (The author of this bit of levity assumes no responsibility for violence directed towards people in real life)
    (Actual threats are condemned by chrisisall, his parent company and affiliates)
    (chrisiall is a trademark of American Cowboy Mentality Inc. (c) 2005)
    (Any similarity between chrisisall and actual persons is purely coincidental)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    PMSL! :)) :)) :))
  • Doctor KnowDoctor Know Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    [
    I've heard several stories as to why LTK wasn't the BO hit previous Bond films. Was it really the Lethal Weapon and Die Hard movies that muscled James Bond out of the game? I also heard stories of MGM's financial troubles at the time that put the Bond on ice for a few years.

There is a popular approach, that moviegoers in the 80s had to pick one out of the big releases and thus the big movies cannibalised each other.

I don't follow that! In my opinion, the upcoming Of Leathal weapon and others would have raised interest in cinema in general to all competitors would have benefitted from a better market.

Just one example: You have a normal food market with one high end shop.
    If they decide to move to a high-end market (in London that would be Borrough's Market for example) it could be good for them instead of fearing to be cannibalised by the competitors. If their product is good - they will succeed in an upscale market.

The same should have happened with a decent Bond. Raiders, Leathal weapon and Die Hard succeeded - why not Bond as the big player in that field?

bildschirmfoto6gawkvr5eq.png

bildschirmfoto3jfyk6nhl8.png

Great post, mate. Thanks Higgins.
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    To add to my previous post on this thread, it's great to see Q get more screen time, but the scene where he talks to Pam Bouvier on the broom radio makes him look like a hypocrite! After all the times he's told Bond to look after his gadgets, he throws the broom in the bushes. It's meant to be played for laughs, but it irks me.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    chrisisall wrote:
    Higgins, you may think I am crazy

Well, that would be too polite :D

I think that you are totally nuts and your wish to turn off the ABS on your car gives me good reason for that :D

Higgins wrote:
    I think that you are totally nuts and your wish to turn off the ABS on your car gives me good reason for that :D
    Professional drivers like I have no need of interference in vehicle control... but ABS actually helps older and untrained drivers with impaired sight & reflexes. You must really love your ABS then-? :))
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    The very Bond films I love the most (like the 80's) are ranked at the bottom? I don't care, because they are awesome. If the public didn't appreciate the serious take on Bond films back then then that's fine.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
    Wadsy wrote:
    If the public didn't appreciate the serious take on Bond films back then then that's fine.

Myth or fact?

IMO, the public had a problem with Dalton himself and not with his more serious take on Bond -no matter how often it's pointed out by his fanboys *
    As an example, you may have a look at the success of the "Die Hard" movies. They hardly pass under the "non-serious" label.

*other popular explanations by that group are the lack of advertising budgets and Dalton's haircut.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Wadsy wrote:
    If the public didn't appreciate the serious take on Bond films back then then that's fine.

Myth or fact?

IMO, the public had a problem with Dalton himself and not with his more serious take on Bond -no matter how often it's pointed out by his fanboys *
    As an example, you may have a look at the success of the "Die Hard" movies. They hardly pass under the "non-serious" label.

*other popular explanations by that group are the lack of advertising budgets and Dalton's haircut.

But Wadsy didn't write that the audience wasn't ready fro serious movies - he wrote that the audiance wasn't ready for serious Bond films!
    You simply got his post wrong.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Wadsy wrote:

Myth or fact?

This isn't just about Dalton. What about For Your Eyes Only?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    Timothy Dalton suffered from the general loss in interest in Bond in the 80's. It went downhill from film to film culminating in LTK being the least successful in 1989.

Imho, that had nothing to do with Dalton. Had Brosnan taken over in 1987 it may not have gone done differently.

The 6 year hiatus from 1989 to 1995 saved the franchise in my opinion. And of course Brosnan was ready and the right man in 1995.

To put the blame on Tim is silly imo. He could have taken over in 1981 and nothing would have been different success wise.
    Dalton Rulez™
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Timothy Dalton suffered from the general loss in interest in Bond in the 80's. It went downhill from film to film culminating in LTK being the least successful in 1989.

Imho, that had nothing to do with Dalton. Had Brosnan taken over in 1987 it may not have gone done differently.

The 6 year hiatus from 1989 to 1995 saved the franchise in my opinion. And of course Brosnan was ready and the right man in 1995.

To put the blame on Tim is silly imo. He could have taken over in 1981 and nothing would have been different success wise.

I'm a dyed in the wool Daltonista, but agree that Brozzer would probably fared better with the movie going public except for one issue. He looked on the edge of too boyish in GE hence the experiments with stubble to butch him up a bit. Other than that much as I am a fanboy, even I can see that he (Dalton) had little chemistry with females (this somehow has never impacted upon DC's popularity despite his equal lack of connection or charm) but it was certainly a problem for Dalton. I think that this might be explained by although having little evident chemisty enough women seem to think he' (DC) is 'hot' (Mrs Zaphod notwithstanding) Brozzer may well have fared better as he is more likeable than both.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Brozzer may well have fared better as he is more likeable than both.
    I was pumped for the Broz back in '85-6. When it was announced he lost the role due to NBC I was big timed bummed. And this DID affect how I received Dalton at that time. I was not the fan of him back then that I am today.
    Matt S wrote:

Well, FYEO brought significantly more money to EON than any Dalton movie did.

Following N24's argument, people where much better ready for a serious Bond film by Roger Moore than 6 years later by Dalton.

1981 it was much more difficult to set a serious tone in a movie (and in a Bond movie) then in 1987/89.
    As far as I remember, "First Blood" was a game changer in terms of realistic violence, serious tone and grittiness.

You can turn it like you want, audiences did not accept DALTON - and it had little to do with his take on Bond (as a matter of fact his serious approach prevented him to totally going down imo), his clothing, his haircut, the competition or the lack of marketing.

Higgins wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Well

Following N24's argument, people where much better ready for a serious Bond film by Roger Moore than 6 years later by Dalton.

Please explain ......
    FYEO with a more serious approach to Bond grossed significantly higher then any Dalton movie. And thst was much sooner -even before First Blood which changed suspense and action movie formula dramatically. Prior to First Blood any action movie had to integrate some comedic elements and 'soft violence' to be successfully

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    The Bond films in Germany from 1967* to 2015:
    *sadly, before 1966 neither ticket sales nor box office figures exist for Germany
    ticket sales = number of tickets sold

tickets sold / film / rank in year
    9.000.000 YOLT (most successful film of the year)
    4.000.000 OHMSS (5th place)
    5.500.000 DAF (3rd place)
    6.000.000 LALD (4th place)
    4.500.000 TMWTGG (4th place)
    7.200.000 TSWLM (2nd place, lost to Disney's The Rescuers)
    5.300.000 MR (3rd place)
    4.820.641 FYEO (3rd place)
    4.324.692 OP (3rd place)
    3.583.930 NSNA (5th place)
    3.373.064 AVTAK (8th place)
    3.106.367 TLD (6th place)
    2.472.732 LTK (10th place)
    5.501.310 GE (2nd place, lost to Babe)
    4.477.102 TND (4th place, suffered greatly against Titanic!)
    5.072.138 TWINE (4th place)
    4.940.255 DAD (7th place)**
    5.461.490 CR (5th place)
    4.744.130 QOS (2nd place, lost to Madagascar 2)
    7.779.654 SF (2nd place, lost to Intouchables, French film)
    7.089.019 SP (3rd place)

**No other Bond film ever faced this kind of competition, DAD beaten by Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Ice Age, Spider-Man, Men In Black

ranking of ticket sales:
    1 9.000.000 YOLT
    2 7.779.654 SF
    3 7.200.000 TSWLM
    4 7.089.019 SP
    5 6.000.000 LALD
    6 5.501.310 GE
    7 5.500.000 DAF
    8 5.461.490 CR
    9 5.300.000 MR
    10 5.072.138 TWINE
    11 4.940.255 DAD
    12 4.820.641 FYEO
    13 4.744.130 QOS
    14 4.500.000 TMWTGG
    15 4.477.102 TND
    16 4.324.692 OP
    17 4.000.000 OHMSS
    18 3.583.930 NSNA
    19 3.373.064 AVTAK
    20 3.106.367 TLD
    21 2.472.732 LTK

with 9.000.000 YOLT is the most successful
    therefore let's see which films sold more tickets from 1965 to 2017: it's a short list

1969 Once Upon A Time In The West 13.000.000
    1972 Trinity Is Still My Name 11.300.000
    1990 Pretty Woman 10.625.337
    1993 Jurassic Park 9.367.216
    1994 The Lion King 11.333.217
    1996 Independence Day 9.258.993
    1998 Titanic 18.081.331
    2001 Harry Potter I, 12.565.007
    2001 Lord Of The Rings I, 11.833.420
    2002 Harry Potter II, 9.702.824
    2002 Lord Of The Rings II, 10.692.798
    2003 Lord Of The Rings III, 10.432.470
    2009 Avatar 11.292.801
    2012 Intouchables (French film) 9.140.334
    2015 Star Wars TFA 9.018.037
    Not even E.T. or any original Star Wars sold more tickets. Dirty Dancing came close with 8.700.000

Allow me to comment:
    It becomes totally clear that GoldenEye saved the franchise in 1995.
    Daniel Craig only with SF became more successful than Brosnan.
    Timothy Dalton's run suffered from the steady loss of interest in Bond in the 80s and had little to do with the actor who was welcomed very well in the German-language era.
    Dalton Rulez™
    Higgins wrote:
    FYEO with a more serious approach to Bond grossed significantly higher then any Dalton movie. And thst was much sooner -even before First Blood which changed suspense and action movie formula dramatically. Prior to First Blood any action movie had to integrate some comedic elements and 'soft violence' to be successfully

FYEO wasn't nearly as serious as LTK. I'm not sure First Blood changed that much. There has always been a large market for both light-hearted and serious action movies.
    Sorry, I can't follow that logic.

TLD and LTK where the worst-grossing 007 movies in Germany and Dalton was not well accepted here and in the US. What's not to understand here?

Every other 'new ' Bond actor received a standing ovation at the box office - only Dalton not and you still blame the weather/tone/haircut 8-)

edited June 2017
    Number24 wrote:

FYEO wasn't nearly as serious as LTK. I'm not sure First Blood changed that much. There has always been a large market for both light-hearted and serious action movies.

Please give me examples for serious 1970/80 action movies which made it into the top 15 prior to First Blood.

Thank you!

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Please give me examples for serious 1970/80 action movies which made it into the top 15 prior to First Blood.

Thank you!
    Conan the barbarian? Came out same year as first blood
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Higgins wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Thank you!

Three Days of the Condor
    Matt S wrote:

Three Days of the Condor

I can't find a ranking, but it was not in the top 10 in 1975.
    Are you sure that it was in the 15?

Chriscoop wrote:
    Conan the barbarian? Came out same year as first blood

Ranked 17 and is imo more a phantasy movie

Higgins wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Three Days of the Condor

I can't find a ranking, but it was not in the top 10 in 1975.
    Are you sure that it was in the 15?

I couldn't find worldwide, but for the US it was at number 8: http://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/cumulative/released-in-1975
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Dirty Harry
    Deathwish
    Magnum Force
    Deliverance
    The Getaway
    The Enforcer
    sniperUK wrote:
    Dirty Harry
    Deathwish
    Magnum Force
    Deliverance
    The Getaway
    The Enforcer

Thanks!!!
    Imo that only strengthens my point. The mentioned movies were much earlier (early - mid 1970) then First Blood and imo only ranked high because of the old well-known battleships (Eastwood, Reynolds etc) pulled those movies up.
    Imagine their success without a male lead.

First Blood was something completely new and a gamechanger in action movies in the cinema though Stallone was also well known from Rocky I admit.