Pros and Cons: License to Kill

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    ...and you have a lot to achieve on that field :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    bonded123 wrote:
    Watched a bit of LTK a few days ago. I was struck how handsome Timothy Dalton looked as James Bond.

you must give me the name of your oculist 8-)

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    This is James Bond, nothing as cool, gritty and moving has been done before or since. And this is just one of the many great scenes of that film.

https://youtu.be/FDTEsevKumA

Read my lips: or my signature line :P

PS: Best Gun-barrel ever!
    Dalton Rulez™
    This is James Bond, nothing as cool, gritty ...

you forgot weepy :p

Higgins wrote:
    This is James Bond, nothing as cool, gritty ...

you forgot weepy :p

you mistake one Bond for the other...

full.jpg
    Dalton Rulez™
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :)) awesome comeback
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    nice try, bjb006 :))

• zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :)) awesome comeback

Indeed. He shoots, he scores !
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    80s action films were adventurous, comedic, larger-than-life and overall fun. LTK, and a lesser extent, TLD weren't fun, breezy films.

This style might go down well with fans, but it didn't with general audiences. They didn't want to see these films! To me it highlights Cubby's lighter involvement.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    80s action films were adventurous, comedic, larger-than-life and overall fun. LTK, and a lesser extent, TLD weren't fun, breezy films.

:x

Give that man a drink, please! {[]

• FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    I would say 80's action films were more violent and had increasingly higher body counts. LTK followed this trend of heavy R-rated action. Die Hard, Terminator, Sudden Impact, Robocop, Commando, Above the Law, etc
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    ... and that's why auciences where prepared for a more serious and violent Bond in 1987.

That they where not ready for Dalton's interpretation is a myth {[]

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    I would say 80's action films were more violent and had increasingly higher body counts. LTK followed this trend of heavy R-rated action. Die Hard, Terminator, Sudden Impact, Robocop, Commando, Above the Law, etc

I haven't seen all of those films, but while most of these are incredibly violent films, they also aren't devoid of humour. I think of them, particularly Commando, as fun movies and not dark or overly serious.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Commando was tremendous fun :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Firemass wrote:

I haven't seen all of those films, but while most of these are incredibly violent films, they also aren't devoid of humour. I think of them, particularly Commando, as fun movies and not dark or overly serious.
    Especially Die Hard, it had some very good lines.
    The Terminator, not so much but Sudden Impact had some very nice moments.
    -We're not gonna let you...walk out of here....
    -Whooz we sucka?
    -Oh just...Smith...and Wesson....and me. *BANG*
    Make my day...etc. While it wasn't the most comedic of the Dirty Harry movies, it certainly had a few moments for comedic effect.
    a reasonable rate of return
    Box office numbers for 1987:

The Living Daylights: USA 51 Million, Worldwide 191 Million

Lethal Weapon: USA: 65 Million, Worldwide: 120 Million
    Predator: USA 59 Million, Worldwide: 98 Million

Bond was in good company in 1987 with other action/thriller films that could be compared. And it outdid all of them by the way when looking at worldwide figures.

Timothy Dalton was a success. To say otherwise is a myth. Because films in general fared less and less good during the 80s especially the action/thriller genre.

1988: Die Hard: USA 83 Million, Worldwide 140 Million, just another example.

Licence To Kill by the way did 156 Million worldwide. Black Rain did 134 Million worldwide in 1989 and Licence To Kill was the third most successful action/thriller in 1989. Lethal Weapon 2 outdid them all with 228 Million worldwide.

Bond in particular was on a downward spiral in the 80s, no one would have stopped that, Brosnan wouldn't either, but Brosnan would probably have slowed down the decrease with more BO in the US.
    Dalton Rulez™
    Roger Ebert on Licence To Kill in 1989 in his review:

On the basis of this second performance as Bond, Dalton can have the role as long as he enjoys it. He makes an effective Bond - lacking Sean Connery's grace and humor, and Roger Moore's suave self-mockery, but with a lean tension and a toughness that is possibly more contemporary. The major difference between Dalton and the earlier Bonds is that he seems to prefer action to sex. But then so do movie audiences, these days. "Licence to Kill" is one of the best of the recent Bonds.

That man was ahead of the times and understood.
    Dalton Rulez™
    edited June 2017
    We've heard all this before - but it still stands:

LTK was the worst grossing 007 movie of all times - no matter how you turn and bend it and Dalton made 2 of the 3 lowest grossing 007 flicks (and yes, Chris they made an amazing roi :p ).

No surprise that the Americans insisted in firing him.

Btw, I personally enjoy LTK much better then TLD

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Roger Ebert on Licence To Kill in 1989 in his review:

On the basis of this second performance as Bond, Dalton can have the role as long as he enjoys it. He makes an effective Bond - lacking Sean Connery's grace and humor, and Roger Moore's suave self-mockery, but with a lean tension and a toughness that is possibly more contemporary. The major difference between Dalton and the earlier Bonds is that he seems to prefer action to sex. But then so do movie audiences, these days. "Licence to Kill" is one of the best of the recent Bonds.

That man was ahead of the times and understood.
    {[]
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Sure it stands with the BO of TLD and LTK, but you have to look at the big picture. Not even Connery returning would have made much of a difference.

It was the sign of the times.

As for ROI, that is the illness of the recent era. Shame on EON for letting such a thing happen. Those kind of budgets are insane and cost expenditure is not in EONs vocabulary it seems.
    Dalton Rulez™
    edited June 2017
    Instead of speculating "what if", I prefer sticking with the facts.
    And those are that both of his movies stank at the BO and that he was not accepted in parts of the audiences and myself.

That's the big picture, my friend! {[]

As you enjoy a good weeping now and then - you should try his movies :))
    hqdefault.jpg

As for ROI, I've said it before:

As a producer, I'd rather have a movie with a budget of 300 millions grossing over 1 billion instead of having one with a better roi budgeted with 30million and grossing at 300 million.

Call me crazy, but that's how I see it :))

EON will welcome you with open arms then... :))

I don't know who that is in the picture above.

As for weepy, I simply can't see anything weepy about Dalton...he is ruthless like Connery.
    Dalton Rulez™
    You should see his movies with eyes open - the weeping is all over there.

I remember ASP9mm coming up here after having rewatched TLD and he was blown away about how often Dalton does it :D

When he's happy, when he's angry, when he's romantic, when he's sad, when he sees Kara - he weeps.
    Must be a Shakespeare acting school thing :D

But as you persistently ignore facts about your hero, you may not notice that as well :)) :)) :))

Ah yes, another such actor is Patrick Stewart, probably my second favourite actor behind Timothy!
    Dalton Rulez™
    That's called acting abilities dear Jonathan.

That's called having a range and not just one expression like a certain current Bond :))

Timothy is my hero, absolutely, because of him and the PTS of TLD I have become a para-scout and that is a fact! LTK helped that motivation even more and two years later I was accepted by the Swiss Army to train for it :D
    Dalton Rulez™
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    Dalton and Stewart could be twins, same face, same moves, Dalton looks like Stewart with hair and bigger muscles

anecdotally, I stopped watching Bond before a View to a Kill, therefor missed both Dalton films not because I didn't like the new actor, but because I thought I'd outgrown this type of film
    why? I was in art school in the 80s, and my cool new friends were teaching me deconstruct mainstream entertainment in search of the inherent cultural biases ... James Bond was easy pickings ... instead I was pretending to like Peter Greenaway, Jim Jarmusch, Wim Wenders, that sort of stuff ... of the list of 80s action films above, the only ones I saw were Robocop, because that was supposed to be satire (the ladyfriend I invited certainly didnt think it was funny) and Die Hard, because I was intrigued by the skyscraper concept

years later I was first in line to see Goldeneye, the filmmakers were smart to incorporate the critique against Bond directly into the dialog then get on with all the fun stuff we really really wanted to see

but had I seen Dalton's films at the time, I'm sure I would have liked them: I always wanted more Fleming content, and less of the comedy routines
    That's called acting abilities dear Jonathan.

That's called having a range and not just one expression like a certain current Bond :))

Timothy is my hero, absolutely, because of him and the PTS of TLD I have become a para-scout and that is a fact! LTK helped that motivation even more and two years later I was accepted by the Swiss Army to train for it :D

A range??

Just watch how gracefully Moore handles the scene at Theresa's grave!
    That's class acting - Dalton would have bursted out in tears!

Dalton is limited in playing the range of emotions only in one way: bo-hoo!
    That's the opposite of having a range X-(

• Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Oh Higgins...sweet, sweet Higgins.
    giphy.gif
    a reasonable rate of return
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    1987 saw films like Lethal Weapon, 1988 films like Die Hard. LTK was a try to jump on that genre but the remaining Bond fans didn't buy it back then, it was too much of a change too fast.

Watched Die Hard last night, hadn't seen it in ages, with Kamen's score, Robert Davi, Grand L Bush it struck me that the team involved in writing LTK really didn't have much creativity and just took the 80s American action film blueprint and copied it with a few Bond inserts.

Die Hard makes LTK look pretty bad...
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."