What was your childhood like?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I also loved to make models. When my Wife said we should re-do all the ugly Seventies cabinets in our kitchen, I told her I'd do it myself to save money. At that point I'd never done work like that before, but in essence it's just like working on a HUGE model using wood instead of plastic. It came out great, and proves all those model Enterprises and Batmobiles were not just a waste of time! B-)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    We used to make " Clothes peg" guns, just a short piece of wood, stick a clothes peg on " As a Trigger"
    push a nail on the end, then connect a few rubber bands together, tied to the metal spring of a clothes peg
    ( This is your bullet) use the clothes peg to hold the metal coil bit, hook the rubber bands on the nail at
    the end of your " Gun", and fire when ready ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    We used to make " Clothes peg" guns, just a short piece of wood, stick a clothes peg on " As a Trigger"
    push a nail on the end, then connect a few rubber bands together, tied to the metal spring of a clothes peg
    ( This is your bullet) use the clothes peg to hold the metal coil bit, hook the rubber bands on the nail at
    Oh man, that is so Little Rascals/Our Gang. :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

I did that too (and I thought I was the only one! :)) ) even made some crossbows that way. I was always making bows, arrows and knives out of stuff.

I was born in '64. My favourite toys as a kid were always toy guns. Cap guns, spud guns, dart guns, water pistols, everything. We grew up in the middle if Essex, it was very quiet, my Dad owned a shoe shop and my mum did his books (she went out to work when we grew a bit older). I went to a good school and it was quite mixed so racism was never an issue, though the area was predominantly WASP :( .
    Like AS and TP said, it was considered a lot safer so we could play outside all day and nobody worried. Even though looking back, we never wore seat belts in our parents' Wolseley Six (or was it an Austin Maxi?) and everyone smoked, so it can't gave been that safe!
    As I kid I loved Bond from the age of 7 when I first saw DAF, and also Danger Man, Thunderbirds, Star Trek too. -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    As kids (10- 12) we would go to our local gun store and buy catapult elastic , can you still get it ?
    and make our own catapults out of privet hedge (you need a handy hack saw ) so you could nip into some ones front garden and chop up their hedge , (it would be criminal damage these days ) :)) .Also fire works ,we could always buy fire works at the right time of year . No one ever stopped us .Our favourite ploy was to find a big pile of dogs mess ,(there was a lot of it around in those days ) :)) put a banger in it ,light it and run . One day in an alley way ,we spied this huge pile , in went the banger ,and leg it ,just as this bloke came round the corner ,and splat, by ,god did we have to run (bloody kids if I catch you ill bloody murder yah ) :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    My fav comics were The Warlord... ;)

Me too - though I also remember loving Whizzer & Chips, and Shiver & Shake:

image.jpg

image.jpg
    To be honest I had loads of favourite comics, including the Beano and
    The Dandy. As I got a little older I started reading some American horror
    Comics like The house of mystery etc. ;) but I just love the stories about
    World War two. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    So come - who of us was a Warlord Secret Agent and had the code book, ID card and stuff? :)) I put a drawing if Roger Moore in LALD as the photo on my ID card :#

image.jpg
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,807MI6 Agent
    As kids (10- 12) we would go to our local gun store and buy catapult elastic , can you still get it ?
    and make our own catapults out of privet hedge (you need a handy hack saw ) so you could nip into some ones front garden and chop up their hedge , (it would be criminal damage these days ) :)) .Also fire works ,we could always buy fire works at the right time of year . No one ever stopped us .Our favourite ploy was to find a big pile of dogs mess ,(there was a lot of it around in those days ) :)) put a banger in it ,light it and run . One day in an alley way ,we spied this huge pile , in went the banger ,and leg it ,just as this bloke came round the corner ,and splat, by ,god did we have to run (bloody kids if I catch you ill bloody murder yah ) :))

I have already mentioned that my Dad is quite handy. When he was a kid just after the war, exposives and gun powder were easy to get your hands on. So he and his friends made simple pistols, bombs, rifles and even mortars. His parents knew, but they didn't really mind :))
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I did have some good Times in Secondary School (Despite the Bullying)

My Mate once installed Unreal Tournament 2 on the Schools Network, and we spent most Lunchtimes just playing that in the Library. Someone else I knew was downloading full Films (Obviously illegal) but was caught and the School nearly got fined! Me and a Group of Mates bunked off one Day and the Head of Maths caught us hanging around Farnborough Town Center.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,807MI6 Agent
    Our childhoods were in some ways very different :))
    :))

That's the Beauty of it, each Story is different {[]
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    I did have some good Times in Secondary School (Despite the Bullying)

My Mate once installed Unreal Tournament 2 on the Schools Network, and we spent most Lunchtimes just playing that in the Library. Someone else I knew was downloading full Films (Obviously illegal) but was caught and the School nearly got fined! Me and a Group of Mates bunked off one Day and the Head of Maths caught us hanging around Farnborough Town Center.

I have spent a lot of time knocking around that neck of ther woods as my late Uncle lived in Church Crookham and we seemed to go and stay most summers during the 1960's, and in adult life my eldest brother lived in Cove which is just outside Farnborough.

I was brought up in an East Lancashire mill town and I have to say life was pretty tough. I had a great childhood though spending endless hours either fishing in one of the three mill Lodges which were very near to where I lived or just kicking a ball about and getting up to mischief in two railway tunnels putting pennies on the line similar to the young lad in the Pink Floyd film "The Wall"

Thats where my love of James Bond was nurtured. It was amazing seeing all that glamour on the screen when our lives were lived out under grey damp skies.

Southport or Blackpool was most folks idea for their summer holidays, us going to leafy Church Crookham was like going to a different planet. I saw Goldfinger and Thunderball in Bournemouth in the summer of either 1966 or 67 I can't remember now.
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
    Ah yes, Cove! My first Girlfriend lived there :))
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Forgot about my large amount of" Airfix" models, I had a huge air force
    Of German and Allies fighter planes. All hanging from strings from
    my bedroom ceiling. -{ :)

Airfix models played a huge part of my childhood.

My father is a massive enthusiast of WW1 & 2 and inparticular Battle Of Britain planes ... my childhood was spent avoiding model planes placed all around the house !! :))

When I wasn't avoiding model planes I was being dragged to various airfields and museums looking at the real things !!
  • UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    Ah yes, Cove! My first Girlfriend lived there :))

We used to go for a beer in a pub with a thatched roof, I can't remember the name of it, mind you working mens club prices from the north of England it was not lol!! It was best part of £3 a pint and I'm going back 20 years or more. I can't really remember much about Cove I know you walked past a Jewson's to get to the local Sainburys.
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
    I haven't been to Cove since I left School in 07, so I'm really behind on any recent Developments in the Town -{
    Some other childhood memories .....

I knew every kid in the street because of an evening we'd all be out on the street
    playing. Such games as " German jumps" having to jump over strings of rubber bands,
    " 1,2,3 red light" a game about standing still etc. :))
    I remember when I'd take my dog for a romp in the fields :D I'd end up with eight or
    Nine of the other neighbours dogs, who'd just tag along for the walk. :))
    I used to walk down Blackwater Valley Path. It's a lovely stroll along some Fishing Lakes and Countryside -{

But it's bloody spooky at Night! There are no Light's at all along the Path.
    Maybe it's all this nostalgia, but yesterday for my lunch, I made some
    " Cheese & Onion " crisp sandwiches. :)) lovely. ;)
    Lovely :))
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Cordon bleu dining at its finest, TP! :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    I still put crisps in my sandwiches , :D
    If you want a more upmarket Creation, use M&S Chicken and Rosmery :p
    when we was kids ,cheese and onion came in a green bag ,and salt and vinegar came in a blue bag ,
    the some dickhead decided to swop em round ,just leave the bloody things alone ,my fave is Bovril :D
    I've never liked Cheese and Onion :(

It's got to be Smokey Backon ;)
    Talking of kids sweets ,as we are on WWYCHL thread , :D we had this stuff called SPANISH GOLD ,It was shredded coconut spiced up with this brown stuff ,and it was meant to look like rolling/pipe tobacco ,it even came in a similar pouch .That with me licorice pipe ,and candy cigarettes , I never stood a chance really , :))
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I remember edìble cigarettes. They don't do them now. Do they?
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    I remember edìble cigarettes. They don't do them now. Do they?

they don't even do real cigarettes now either :)) :))
    Ah yes, edible Cigarettes :))

I remember the Chewits Eggs as well.