Rogue Nation Similarities

Kent007Kent007 Posts: 338MI6 Agent
The new trailer for Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation has just dropped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrIyFIZIgwA

From the trailer, it seems as if the film is going to explore similar elements to SPECTRE. There's a battle at government level to shut down IMF/MI6 but really, there is a sinister organization behind it which is Rogue Nation in Mission Impossible and obviously, people have suspected that SPECTRE will have infiltrated the government.

I guess the only real thing separating the two thematically is that SPECTRE discusses Bond's past.

Just thought it was strange that two spy films that are coming out in the same year seem so similar. Though of course SPECTRE will be far superior.
"You are about to wake when you dream that you are dreaming"

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    It's most likely a pure Coincidence though.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Both have Morocco locations.
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    why does this keep happening? a lot of people think Skyfall ripped off dark knight rises because of the resurrection theme even though the y came out the same year
  • PDJamesBondPDJamesBond Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    There are a startling amount of coincidences between the two films, not only in terms of story but locations as well. M:I-RN goes to London, Austria, and Morocco...sound familiar?

I do believe that this is all total coincidence. But it's a bit unfortunate, because there are some people int he world, ignorant of how films are made, who might believe SPECTRE ripped off M:I. Oh well. Those people are few and far between, I think.
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    Kent007 wrote:
    The new trailer for Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation has just dropped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrIyFIZIgwA

From the trailer, it seems as if the film is going to explore similar elements to SPECTRE. There's a battle at government level to shut down IMF/MI6 but really, there is a sinister organization behind it which is Rogue Nation in Mission Impossible and obviously, people have suspected that SPECTRE will have infiltrated the government.

I guess the only real thing separating the two thematically is that SPECTRE discusses Bond's past.

Just thought it was strange that two spy films that are coming out in the same year seem so similar. Though of course SPECTRE will be far superior.

I guess it fitting since Skyfall stole from the first MI movie. I am sure EON will eventually take from one of Harry Potter Films before the lights are turned out.
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
    what did Skyfall :# borrow from MI now?
  • perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    what did Skyfall :# borrow from MI now?

Are you serious??? Remember the NOC list?
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    More like MI ripped of James Bond from the 1960s onwards.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    +1 {[] Bond is the origin of the species. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    +2
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    I saw Rogue Nation last week and the similarities to the DC Bond movies are unbelievable.
    Am I allowed to post spoilers here? (About Mission Impossible NOT SPECTRE).
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I saw Rogue Nation also, but have avoided the leaked SPECTRE script draft and other spoilers so I have no idea. Nothing surprising though, the MI TV series and films exist because of the Bond films. Just based upon the SPECTRE trailers, the feeling I get is that SPECTRE (and the other Craig Bonds) have a bit more "gravitas" to them than the MI films (except the first MI film which was a different animal than the subsequent follow-ups). Plenty of room in my world for other spy films, but 007 is still the big daddy of them all.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    I saw Rogue Nation last week and the similarities to the DC Bond movies are unbelievable.
    Am I allowed to post spoilers here? (About Mission Impossible NOT SPECTRE).

I created this thread about the similarities labelled spoilers: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/46164/comparing-mission-impossiblerogue-nation-to-bond-films-spoilers/

There's nothing prohibited with posting spoilers unless the information was obtained illegally (the Sony hack). You can post anything you want about Spectre's plot after the film is released. I didn't want to post in this thread since there is no spoiler warning.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • JigenJigen Posts: 76MI6 Agent
    I thought exactly the same thing watching MI:RN. I don't think any of the two franchises ripped off the other, but perhaps it's particularly favourable to shoot movies in those locations (incentives, tax rebate). I know they shoot an awful lot of movies in London and I happened to pass by the Royal Courts of Justice as they were prepping to shoot the final scenes (last 20minutes) of Rogue Nation. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the movie as it's a massive improvement compared to the previous instalments, but it definitely lacks the style and elegance of a Bond movie.
    I enjoyed MI:RN but I think Cruise's character is starting to become a little too much of a flawless superman. Some great stunts and a nice chase but lacked soul. The main villain would have made a great henchman in a Bond film.
    I agree, I do enjoy the MI films but they are a bit soulless, infact
    a criticism from many reviewers of the original TV series.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    I think M:I-2 is by far the best and it even feels a bit like a Bond movie :)
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    I agree, I do enjoy the MI films but they are a bit soulless, infact
    a criticism from many reviewers of the original TV series.

I think in the case of the original TV series, it was purposely written to concentrate on the nuts and bolts of each mission, sort of the original "techno thriller"; and that works for a 45 minute TV episode, a two hr plus feature film is another story. The TV series was also truly an "ensemble" show while the films are much more focused on Cruise and built more around his "starpower". Cruise, who looks amazing at 53 just looks a little too fresh and unscathed for someone who's been in that line of work for so long. Bond, especially Craig's Bond certainly looks like he's been around the block more than a few times.
    +1, -{ Very true.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    I find Cruise to be a soulless actor. Christian Bale said he based his performance of Patrick Batemen the Wall Street banker/serial killer in American Psycho on Tom Cruise. Bale said that Cruise appears to exude engagement and energy with his facial expressions and mannerisms but behind the eyes there's nobody home.
    I think it's quite the opposite.
    I don't think he's a soulless actor, and he undeniably puts a lot of effort into his movies:
    M:I-4: climbing outside on the world's tallest building
    M:I-5: hanging on a plane that takes of and that 8! times
    besides the scientology thing I consider him a great actor
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    I don't think he's a soulless actor, and he undeniably puts a lot of effort into his movies:

Physical stunts don't require much soul in acting. Cruise has soul to put into making the films, but he doesn't have the same kind of soul as an actor.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Well, clearly SOMEBODY likes Tom Cruise. Have a look at this site, which examines Cruise's collective box office take and critical reviews. . .it shows that Cruise's "mediocre" efforts are actually what other actors would consider their BEST work!

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-four-types-of-tom-cruise-movies/
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    I have no bone to pick with Tom Cruise...he is a movie star, a box office draw and I generally enjoy his films. IMO, he is a decent actor with very good screen presence. Cruise is capable of giving an outstanding performance as he did in "Born On the 4th of July" and "Rainman". I think he aspires to be a contemporary Steve McQueen (McQueen would have been perfect for the MI films) but because of his still boyish looks (amazing at 53) sometimes he comes off a bit "light"; although IMO he gave more grounded mature good performances in both Oblivion and Edge of Tommorow (of course it helps to have a script that gives you a bit more to work with).
    Matt S wrote:

Physical stunts don't require much soul in acting. Cruise has soul to put into making the films, but he doesn't have the same kind of soul as an actor.

you lost me here... :))
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Well, clearly SOMEBODY likes Tom Cruise. Have a look at this site, which examines Cruise's collective box office take and critical reviews. . .it shows that Cruise's "mediocre" efforts are actually what other actors would consider their BEST work!

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-four-types-of-tom-cruise-movies/

Cruise made a career out of playing the same character over and over: The young, callow, immature, smartass race car driver, fighter pilot, pimp (Risky business), lawyer (twice), pool hustler, bartender, sports agent etc. who goes through adversity and comes out a better person. Cruise's lack of an inner core aided him in playing an immature jerk. He was also very good at playing a soulless hit man (Collateral) and a soulless jerk (Rain Man).

Now that he's gotten too old for that kind of part, the last ten years haven't been so kind. Outside of the MI series, the only movie that was a box office hit and critical hit was Tropic Thunder which was a Robert Downey, Jr. vehicle in which Cruise had a bit part. At first glance, Edge of Tommorow looks like it fills the criteria, but with a $178 million production budget + marketing budget and only a $369 million world wide box office gross it was a big loser at the box office.

Cruise's whole career now is the MI movies and Rogue Nation looks like it won't do the numbers that Ghost Protocol did, not even accounting for inflation.

Cruise should seek out parts in which he plays the bad guy. I think he makes an exceptional sociopath.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/tom_cruise/
    :# it goes from austria to morocco to london . plus benji their q is in the field
  • StrykeStryke U.S.A.Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    There may be some similarities, but I will say Rogue Nation was great! In fact, the Mission:Impossible films seem to get better with every installment, which is very unusual for film series, especially action films. It's worth seeing IMO.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I have no bone to pick with Tom Cruise...he is a movie star, a box office draw and I generally enjoy his films. IMO, he is a decent actor with very good screen presence. Cruise is capable of giving an outstanding performance as he did in "Born On the 4th of July" and "Rainman". I think he aspires to be a contemporary Steve McQueen (McQueen would have been perfect for the MI films) but because of his still boyish looks (amazing at 53) sometimes he comes off a bit "light"; although IMO he gave more grounded mature good performances in both Oblivion and Edge of Tommorow (of course it helps to have a script that gives you a bit more to work with).

I agree. I think he works incredibly hard at his roles, and although his religious beliefs are a huge turnoff (and I wonder what hindrance??) I would NEVER compare his movies to Bond.

His last movie, Edge of Tomorrow, imo, was one of his best in a while, and I think his MI franchise has enabled him the 'superhero' role he has longed (desperate) for... I would never consider himself soulless... self indulgent maybe, but not soulless.

I think the similarities are purely coincidental.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony