Possible alternative to varatos jacket

Comments

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    I already posted this in the Spectre Wardrobe thread but thought I'd cross post it here since it's related to John Varvatos.

Mango has a budget alternative to the black JV zip-through that DC was photographed wearing:

The PIQUÉ PANELS BOMBER JACKET, REF. 53063007

jv_zip_through_alt.jpg

Mango USA for $79.99: http://shop.mango.com/US/p0/men/clothing/jackets/pique-panels-bomber-jacket/?id=53063007

Mango UK for £59.99: http://shop.mango.com/GB/p0/men/clothing/jackets/pique-panels-bomber-jacket/?id=53063007
  • chriscollins007chriscollins007 North Somerset , England Posts: 1,155MI6 Agent
    Great alternatives guys , just wondered if you can answer for those who have the zara , mango and Hboss versions.
    Which do you consider to be the most SA ?

Not sure which to get. :s thanks
    007 reporting for duty
  • PPKPPK Posts: 60MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    I own the JV version and both alternative versions from HBoss and Zara and i will post some pics of all three tomorrow
    so you can choose for yourself :)

but in my opinion, the fitting and overall apperance is more SA on the Zara one (colour, fitting and the zippers on the sleeves),

but quality is much better on the HB version which (on me since its 48 size and i am 37 chest) dont have that fitted look but a more SA coller.

i think if you go for SA, choose the Zara one (which can be altered by a tailor to get the coller right and the pocket zips removed).

but as mentioned earlier, i will take some photos tomorrow.

Sascha -{

Edit: maybe the navyblue? :))

http://www.zara.com/de/de/herren/city-urban-gentle/gerippte-strickm%C3%BCtze-c763510p2814332.html

image.jpg
  • BodieBodie Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    Interesting article on the Esquire UK website - 8 suade jackets. Includes the makes and the price. Worth a look.
    Here are some pics as promised -{

HB JV Zara
    IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg

colours are not 100% true on the pictures
    Thanks for taking the time on the info buddy , most appreciated
    Pics not showing on my iPad though , shame I'll try my Mac later
    Gives me a better idea now cheers
    PPK wrote:
    I own the JV version and both alternative versions from HBoss and Zara and i will post some pics of all three tomorrow
    so you can choose for yourself :)

but in my opinion, the fitting and overall apperance is more SA on the Zara one (colour, fitting and the zippers on the sleeves),

but quality is much better on the HB version which (on me since its 48 size and i am 37 chest) dont have that fitted look but a more SA coller.

i think if you go for SA, choose the Zara one (which can be altered by a tailor to get the coller right and the pocket zips removed).

but as mentioned earlier, i will take some photos tomorrow.

Sascha -{

Edit: maybe the navyblue? :))

http://www.zara.com/de/de/herren/city-urban-gentle/gerippte-strickm%C3%BCtze-c763510p2814332.html

image.jpg
    007 reporting for duty
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    PPK wrote:
    Here are some pics as promised -{

HB JV Zara
    IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg

colours are not 100% true on the pictures

Thanks for the comparison, PPK. The pictures aren't embedded in your posts. I had to copy the url into my browser to view.

Pity the HB jacket has BOSS embossed (no pun intended) on the back of the collar.

The jackets are very similar in style, yet different in the details. How do the colors look to the eye?
    clear pics now PPK , shows up well on the mac book
    All I have to do now is decide which one :))
    thanks again
    007 reporting for duty
    i tried to capture it with a better camera but for some reason the JV is always much lighter (as you see on the pictures)
    In my opinion you can compare the zara and HB versions and the JV have allmost the same colour as the zara one.

i wold say: if you are athletic build to get the fitted look and want something more "luxurious" (the suede is like butter) get the HB one.
    otherwise go with the Zara ;)
  • cmdr_bongcmdr_bong AustraliaPosts: 202MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the comparison pics PPK! That Zara sure looks the business next to the JV. :)
  • valkyrionvalkyrion Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    Hello
    Could someone post the dimensions of the armpit of the Zara jacket
    Cause due to capital controls in Greece I cannot shop it and my cousin from Germany will shop it and I want to know the cm of the armpit of the medium and large
    Thank you in advance
    Hello valkyrion,

on the medium one, armpit to armpit is ~49cm
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    Picked up the Zara today size med and it's a cracking (but slim) fit - works for me with 39inch chest but any bigger most would have to size up.

See full ensemble below

image.jpg

And on its own

image.jpg

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,585Chief of Staff
    Excellent pics Bond44 {[]

It looks a great jacket for the money...it'll be Friday before I can get to a store that carries one...will have to take my credit card with me :D
    YNWA 97
  • ThomoThomo ReadingPosts: 949MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

It looks a great jacket for the money...it'll be Friday before I can get to a store that carries one...will have to take my credit card with me :D

I'd order on line. Can always return to a store ☺️
    Thomo wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

I'd order on line. Can always return to a store ☺️

True...but I want to get the size/fit right...don't want to have to pay for two upfront :o
    YNWA 97
    PPK wrote:
    Hello valkyrion,

on the medium one, armpit to armpit is ~49cm

hello ppk thank you for the info
    anyone with large please post the armpit dimension
    thanks again
    top pics ppk , I'll now go for the L as I'm a 42" , most helpful
    It looks cracking
    Bond44 wrote:
    Picked up the Zara today size med and it's a cracking (but slim) fit - works for me with 39inch chest but any bigger most would have to size up.

See full ensemble below

image.jpg

And on its own

image.jpg

007 reporting for duty
  • writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    Went to the local Zara this Saturday and had the chance to try it. Unfortunately the only size L available had an ugly bend in the collar (not properly sewn) and will have to order online. Oh well.

For those in doubt, I'm 42"-ish in chest and yes, L is the one for me. It's indeed a slim fit, so if you're a bit too ample in the waist (like I am :)) ) you may want to go on diet for a while before being able to zip it comfortably. Well, the missus decided last night that we're going on diet, so that's two birds with a stone I guess...
    "Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
    my cousin send it and today i just received it in large.
    thanks to pkk posting the dimensions and writingsonthewall who is 42 inch like me i order it in L and the jacket is almost perfect for me.
    i say almost cause the sleeves are kinda long.
    the colour is dark navy blue.in specific lightning you can tell that is blue black.
    overall the jacket is value for money for us who cant afford the varvatos jacket.
    Went to Zara to look (again) at the Tan coloured jacket and although it has chest pockets I think it's a good version and cost effective not a perfect match but certainly in the spirit for the Morocco jacket.

Throw in black sunspel polo, QOS 307's and Skyfall enjoying death des boots and hey presto you have the look!

I will post when I have assembled it all

Cheers :-)
    valkyrion wrote:
    my cousin send it and today i just received it in large.
    thanks to pkk posting the dimensions and writingsonthewall who is 42 inch like me i order it in L and the jacket is almost perfect for me.
    i say almost cause the sleeves are kinda long.
    the colour is dark navy blue.in specific lightning you can tell that is blue black.
    overall the jacket is value for money for us who cant afford the varvatos jacket.

Thank you!
    i am always glad if i can provide some helpful informations here in the forum after getting so much infos and help for myself. -{
    I tried the Zara jacket on in Manchester yesterday...tried a large on...it was a good fit apart from trying to zip the blooming thing up ! I wouldn't say my belly was THAT big but it was a struggle to zip up !
    I looked at the tan jacket - I think they had a couple of different designs in that (?)...didn't try that one on though...
    YNWA 97
  • Martin AstonMartin Aston LondonPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    Manchester! Are you mad man?? I hope you were wearing something LFC based, even if it was well hidden :D
    Manchester! Are you mad man?? I hope you were wearing something LFC based, even if it was well hidden :D

Manchester is my nearest city...I always have something LFC with/on me...and NEVER hidden :D
    YNWA 97
  • Martin AstonMartin Aston LondonPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    Good man! {[]
  • martinimartini Posts: 289MI6 Agent
    Not sure what shoes I would wear with this jacket. Only chukkas I have are midnight blue! Would clash a bit, I feel.
    "It is better to be as well dressed as possible to stave off, at least for a very little bit, the total collapse of civilization"
    martini wrote:
    Not sure what shoes I would wear with this jacket. Only chukkas I have are midnight blue! Would clash a bit, I feel.

Bond wears Sanders in suede brown so I would say any suede brown boot will be fine.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,134MI6 Agent
    Picked up my alternative Zara version today. Was torn between the small and medium (38 or 40). Both were okay but I felt the small fitted that little bit better. The medium wad longer in body and arms. Now need the rest of the oufit!

Will try and post pics when I get chance but for anyone thinking about a budget alternative to the Varvatos I can confirm it's a great buy. Can't knock the fit and quality for £99!

Popped in to NPeal to look at the charcoal jumper but didn't take the plunge. Back to London in a couple of weeks anyway so will return.. ;)
    "Any of the opposition around..?"