A Very Special Daniel Craig item!

Comments

• jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    CRB wrote:
    Ah, that was jared_nomak . I'm not sure what the fate of that particular jacket was ...

Jacket still not been touched as yet but will have to be altered to fit
  • GSGS Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    If I can help with any images or anything let me know
    Managed to get the jacket altered so the stitching was all in line and had a tiny bit taken out of the sleeves for a better fit. I used Hidalgo brothers on Saville Row and they did a pretty good job I think.

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    Looks great, Grant. {[]

Anyone at the leather shop recognize the jacket? Is this it for your jacket collecting for now?
    Thank you, they didn't but they did comment on it being a nice jacket!

I think I may get the new ones from Dan and then stop.... Before I found this site about 6 years ago I used to have about 2 jackets..... I now have way too many!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff
    Nice job - looks good -{
    YNWA 97
  • Peregrine CarruthersPeregrine Carruthers Los Angeles, CAPosts: 34MI6 Agent
    Looks great! I'm the maniac who purchased the other one on eBay. I have way too many jackets. Sure wish I had a cooler addiction (like heroin!), but I guess "outerwear as seen in a movie" will have to suffice for now. My Dunhill is currently being repaired, but I hope to have it back in another few weeks.
    edited January 2016
    Looks great! I'm the maniac who purchased the other one on eBay. I have way too many jackets. Sure wish I had a cooler addiction (like heroin!), but I guess "outerwear as seen in a movie" will have to suffice for now. My Dunhill is currently being repaired, but I hope to have it back in another few weeks.

Welcome to the thread, Peregrine. Congratulations on your purchase. -{

I hope you had a proxy to send the jacket to LA. The Ebay Global Shipping Costs on your jacket were outrageous. Do share photos when the repairs are complete. That'll make 4 of the 5 "in the wild" Dunhills represented in this thread.

What other film jackets do you have? Outside of Bond jackets and the Dunhill I'm limited to the Banana Republic from Die Hard 4. I'm in California as well and, as you know, being in California makes all those winter coats from the Bond films all but useless.
    Congratulations! I'm glad it went to someone on this forum - hopefully you'll post photos when you have it back.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Glad you got sorted GS - green with envy here :)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I'll keep looking for you in the UK... Hopefully eBay will be flooded with them!
  • Peregrine CarruthersPeregrine Carruthers Los Angeles, CAPosts: 34MI6 Agent

Welcome to the thread, Peregrine. Congratulations on your purchase. -{

I hope you had a proxy to send the jacket to LA. The Ebay Global Shipping Costs on your jacket were outrageous. Do share photos when the repairs are complete. That'll make 4 of the 5 "in the wild" Dunhills represented in this thread.

What other film jackets do you have? Outside of Bond jackets and the Dunhill I'm limited to the Banana Republic from Die Hard 4. I'm in California as well and, as you know, being in California makes all those winter coats from the Bond films all but useless.

Thank you! The global shipping was absurd but, luckily, the seller was willing to get it out to me in a much more cost effective way. I'll make sure to add photos of the jacket to this thread.

The Los Angeles climate definitely cuts into my ability to wear jackets. I find that the Menlo is light enough that I can wear it a lot - same with the Royale Harrington and Royale Haiti jackets. The JV works out here as well. The Belstaff Ethan, Racer H and Hero not so much.
    edited April 2018
    I recently purchased a Layer Cake replica, specifically a XXXX Ecstasy jacket made by Rick of Filmjackets.com and thought it would be interesting to compare it to the actual Dunhill Layer Cake.

The XXXX is a size US44 while my Dunhill is a EU54 (US/UK44). The full chest of the XXXX is 44" while the Dunhill is 47". However the XXXX has a larger shoulder at around 20" compared with the Dunhill with a 19.5 inch shoulder. The XXXX shoulder is also more structured than the Dunhill. Despite the difference in the chest, the XXXX doesn't feel much smaller than the Dunhill due to the Dunhill lambskin being incredibly thin and light.The Dunhill wants to mold itself to your body.

Lets take a look at some comparison pictures. In each photo the XXXX is on the left while the Dunhill is on the right.

IMG_20161105_190328007.jpg
    IMG_20161105_190218473.jpg

Under natural light to the naked eye the exterior color of the lambskin is an almost exact match.

With a flash, you can see the difference in the quality of the lambskin. The XXXX on the left is grainier and the leather isn't nearly as soft to the hand, even though the grain looks very much the same to the naked eye. I wouldn't expect it to feel the same, considering the differing price points, but thought I would mention it.

IMG_20161105_190244119.jpg

While the Dunhill's leather is much lighter than the replica's, its Riri zipper (size A6) has a much more solid and substantive feel than the replica's YKK zipper.

IMG_20161105_190549897.jpg

The XXXX zipper pull has a slight curve that makes handling easier. I'm not a big fan of the XXXX pull, but it is superior to the leather pulls on some of the Dunhill Layer Cake jackets.

The color of the contrast stitching on the replica is quite close to the original, although the stitching itself is closer together on the original.

IMG_20161105_190431301.jpg

The biggest difference between the original and the replica is in the interior of the jacket. As you can see the color isn't close. It's much too bright a red. You can also see that the Dunhill pockets used a black zipper while Rick used a red one.

IMG_20161105_190058071.jpg

IMG_20161105_185948714.jpg

IMG_20161105_190028025.jpg

Looking at the full interior shots you can also make out the different textures of the XXXX and the Dunhill. Each has dyed the suede side of the lambskin, but the nap of the XXXX is much greater than that of the Dunhill. The replica feels fuzzier, more suede-y, especially in the sleeves. The nap of the Dunhill is incredibly short and tight.

My overall conclusion is that Rick did a very good job with the replica all things considered. The exterior is very close to the original. I only wish the interior color was darker.
  • TintinTintin Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    Ah Steve, that really rubs salt into my open wounds. I ordered and paid for an ECSTASY XXXX Jacket in spring 2014.
    Unfortunately, I have never seen my jacket and I never received any responses to my inquiries. :( And as I could read at the filmjackets forum, I'm unfortunately not the only one who was ripped off by Rick. It's a shame!

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing the pictures. :# And congratulations to your purchase of a spare jacket. Now you have a jacket which you can wear outside of your strong room. :))
  • PortentPortent Posts: 30MI6 Agent
    I don't know how this compares to the Filmjackets version. But Soul Revolver in the UK make a Layer Cake jacket. It's probably not as accurate as the Filmjackets one although Soul revolver customer service is excellent and their jackets are very good indeed. I have one of their cafe racer jackets from two years ago and have just ordered another jacket recently.

http://www.soulrevolver.com/replica-leather-jackets/mens/layer-cake-black

I'll probably get a Layer Cake from them at some point.
    Tintin wrote:
    Ah Steve, that really rubs salt into my open wounds. I ordered and paid for an ECSTASY XXXX Jacket in spring 2014.
    Unfortunately, I have never seen my jacket and I never received any responses to my inquiries. :( And as I could read at the filmjackets forum, I'm unfortunately not the only one who was ripped off by Rick. It's a shame!

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing the pictures. :# And congratulations to your purchase of a spare jacket. Now you have a jacket which you can wear outside of your strong room. :))

I'm so sorry Alex. I had no idea you were one of the people who never got the jacket you ordered from Rick.
  • The Bond VivantThe Bond Vivant SeendPosts: 1,327MI6 Agent
    Recently bought a very close Dunhill jacket and off to Dunhill in London today to have the zip fixed and was considering having the current leather zip pull changed for the metal ones, but on scanning this thread am I right in thinking that actually the SA one was leather?
    Recently bought a very close Dunhill jacket and off to Dunhill in London today to have the zip fixed and was considering having the current leather zip pull changed for the metal ones, but on scanning this thread am I right in thinking that actually the SA one was leather?

Congratulations, Blair. Please post a picture of the jacket. -{

The screen accurate jacket has a single zipper with metal pull. This is the jacket worn by Daniel Craig and Dougray Scott. Dunhill also made a version with the double zipper with leather pulls.

Of the five Layer cakes to show up in the wild two have had the single metal pulls while three have had the double leather pulls.
    Some pictures of the jackets worn by Daniel Craig and Dougray Scott showing the single metal zipper pulls.

Daniel_Craig_Dunhill_2.jpg

dougray_scott_97928.jpg
    edited February 2017
    Here are some pics of the almost, but not quite, Dunhill jacket I recently grabbed. As you can see, no stitching across the chest, and the oxblood lining doesn't reach the edge of the jacket, but, all in all, very happy with it. And it fits like a glove, too:

IMG_7055_zpsrwj576lk.jpg

IMG_7058_zpss1suz3yf.jpg

IMG_7061_zpsvcwvihfj.jpg

And here's one of the leather zip pulls:

IMG_7059_zpsi0wss4u3.jpg

Hope that you like. Cheers,

Blair
  • richmenstoysrichmenstoys GermanyPosts: 1,482MI6 Agent
    very nice blair...but i thought you must saving? :)) -{
    **everybody needs a hobby**
    https://www.instagram.com/wearitlikebond/
  • GaryD_007GaryD_007 Near the Bonnie BanksPosts: 579MI6 Agent
    Here are a few of me wearing it:

IMG_7095_zpskyuazqwj.jpg

IMG_7094_zps2czpbqun.jpg

Cheers, then,

Blair

Looks made for you Blair! Amazing item, well done fella {[]
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    Very nice find! Ebay or someplace else? I've been looking for a nice Dunhill leather jacket for awhile now. -{
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
    I was lucky enough to have be alerted to it on eBay by an ajber. Loving it!
    Awesome Blair. -{

While not a Layer Cake, that black Dunhill is definitely a sportier sibling with the zippered sleeves.

I would definitely want one of those in a 52, but if anything it's rarer than the Layer Cake. You got it for a very good price. {[]
  • CommanderBCommanderB San FranciscoPosts: 87MI6 Agent
    Here are a few of me wearing it:

IMG_7095_zpskyuazqwj.jpg

IMG_7094_zps2czpbqun.jpg

Cheers, then,

Blair

Fantastic Blair! Jealous over here...
    “What is your occupation?”
    “That’s not the sort of thing that looks good on a form."
  • VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
    I think I prefer that jacket to the Layer Cake one. Top find. -{
  • jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent

Hi
    Looks that good and it does look the perfect size, starting to wish I'd bought it myself :)
    Ross

Hi
    Looks that good and it does look the perfect size, starting to wish I'd bought it myself :)
    Ross

48 may have been too small for you, Ross. Looks perfect for Blair.