Any info regarding Spectre's gunbarrel?

13»

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I really like DC his walk and pose. Nice to see it's almost the same as in Skyfall. But I would have prefered the Brosnan look and blood. Also the fade wasn't necessary, why not the regular moving dot. Can't be THAT hard to make a proper gunbarrel.

Mendes is funny about his Bond film openers, apparently: he vetoed the gunbarrel at the beginning of SF because he wanted that opening shot of Craig's silhouette stepping into the light with a specific musical cue, and he didn't think it would work with the gunbarrel. I have no doubt that he opted for a fade to black with SP so that he could open with the title card about the dead being alive.

Personally, I've never bothered to rank the actual Bond gunbarrels in any order...but I thought this one was great---but then again, I believe it could have been made to work with the traditional one for both SF and SP. But oh well :)

I can see how the gunbarrel would have conflicted with Mendes' opening in SF, but it should have been written differently to accommodate the gunbarrel. Don't forget how easy it would have been to have a gunbarrel at the beginning of QOS. The opening seems so empty without it. The title card in SP just seems like Mendes really didn't want the gunbarrel. The title card adds nothing to the film (we shouldn't have to be told what the film's theme is), when the traditional gunbarrel would have had more impact by revealing the cigar skeleton in the circle and then expanding it. The beginning would have flowed so much better.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    Being a Bond fan is amazing. We are discussing and comparing a 5 second opening gunbarrel sequence with incredible detail. Any one little nuance can excite or disappoint us. I'm not criticizing anyone here because I too went crazy when the dots started and am critical of how the gunbarrel faded at the end. It's just amazing how every bit of the Bond formula adds to our experience as fans.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Being a Bond fan is amazing. We are discussing and comparing a 5 second opening gunbarrel sequence with incredible detail. Any one little nuance can excite or disappoint us. I'm not criticizing anyone here because I too went crazy when the dots started and am critical of how the gunbarrel faded at the end. It's just amazing how every bit of the Bond formula adds to our experience as fans.

It is great!

The gunbarrel is very important because it's a MAJOR trademark to the series. In fact, probably the biggest trademark in the entire thing.

I think it's odd that they did it in the first place, it's very obscure! Something you'd expect to see in a video game.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."

I work in graphics and I compose, arrange and play music as a hobby. Since the gunbarrel is primarily defined by those two things, I'm very critical of them since I have the ability to make a gunbarrel I think would be superior in both regards.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    Well here's to Matt making the gunbarrel in a future Bond {[]

Love the blog btw :)
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    I'll agree "The dead are alive" caption wasn't remotely necessary, made the GB end sloppily and the iris opening on the skull would have been much cooler. Who green-lights these ideas anyway?
    Funny how SPECTRE seems to have captions for nearly every scene. Did we really need the LONDON caption 3/4 into the film?
    Still, I am very happy the GB was back in it's rightful place, and I sincerely hope to see it again in 2 years time opening the next film. I may be asking for too much.............
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    ToTheRight wrote:
    I'll agree "The dead are alive" caption wasn't remotely necessary, made the GB end sloppily and the iris opening on the skull would have been much cooler.

As much as I enjoy that title card for its sheer atmospherics, I honestly can't disagree. There's a fairly subtle reference to 'you-know-who' there...but since they made such efforts to tick off traditional Bond boxes with this one, it's a bit bewildering that they didn't have the 'full Monty' traditional gunbarrel, with the iris moving around the black screen, and then opening up as you said.

I think it's just a Mendes thing, really.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    ToTheRight wrote:
    I'll agree "The dead are alive" caption wasn't remotely necessary, made the GB end sloppily and the iris opening on the skull would have been much cooler.

As much as I enjoy that title card for its sheer atmospherics, I honestly can't disagree. There's a fairly subtle reference to 'you-know-who' there...but since they made such efforts to tick off traditional Bond boxes with this one, it's a bit bewildering that they didn't have the 'full Monty' traditional gunbarrel, with the iris moving around the black screen, and then opening up as you said.

This was probably the trade-off.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    ToTheRight wrote:

It's like Mendes didn't want the gunbarrel ruining his opening shot. He seems to really love the old Bond films but thinks he can do better than the gunbarrel.
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    I found a very weird Chinese clip were they made a unfunny joke, but you it's dvd captured I think. For everyone who wants to see a spectate it more clearly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDt6O6Qo6fk

This is how it looks at full screen btw
    CTexyelW4AA8u4x.png

And you can compare his pose easlily by the others with this picture
    CTexyrzW4AACfo1.png
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
    ^ the Lazenby one is awesome.

"Better make that two."

I really like it that Lazenby's background is so white, something came back in 1995. His pose is fine too, no problem that he's on his knee.
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/

I really like it that Lazenby's background is so white, something came back in 1995. His pose is fine too, no problem that he's on his knee.

Yeah, the clarity of the Brosnan ones are epic.

"Better make that two."

Yeah, the clarity of the Brosnan ones are epic.

Brosnan has my favourite pose. Awesomeness to the max!! Together with the CR one.
    The colours changed slightly in each film, and probably a little on the VHS and then when redone for the Special DVD. When you compare all five instances of Moore's second gunbarrel, the coloured changed a bit. Lazenby's really looks fantastic there. The 60s silhouette of his suit (compared to the 50s silhouette of Connery's blazer) makes me think of The Avengers.
    Brosnan has my favourite pose.

Because as some say on here, he's a good "model" lol :))

"Better make that two."