SPECTRE reviews - *SPOILERS*

Comments

• sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I honestly think that Mendes is all played out now....

I really wouldn't rule him out just yet...

Please do, Skyfall was good, SPECTRE was not.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    I can't imagine Mendes coming back. He said he didn't want to do a second because he put everything he could into the first. He didn't really bring anything of his own into his second.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,666Chief of Staff
    sniperUK wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Please do, Skyfall was good, SPECTRE was not.

But both made a sh1t load of money...I can see both Mendes & Craig returning for another...
    YNWA 97
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,666Chief of Staff
    Matt S wrote:
    I can't imagine Mendes coming back. He said he didn't want to do a second because he put everything he could into the first. He didn't really bring anything of his own into his second.

It was already 99% certain he was back for a second...regardless of what he said...
    YNWA 97
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    MR-9 wrote:
    When I thought in SKYFALL, Bond throwing a knife from behind to kill off such cool villain like Silva was disappointing, this time the thing gets even kinda funnier when we see Bond shooting down Blofeld's chopper with his walther ppk. For Bond, I expect something majestic, more exciting & unique than usual other heroes do stuffs.

To explain Blofeld's chopper going down - when Bond shoots at the helicopter, the bullet hits the part right of the letter L in the image below. This causes the plane to malfunction and crash .... Now we know that even a bird hit on sensitive areas of a plane can cause a plane's downfall :)

1351703564265768550.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Yep. It went in a vent. Bond can be amazing that way.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Scribe74Scribe74 San FranciscoPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

Agreed . . . I think Mendes is a stellar director, but SPECTRE just fell flat in so many areas. While I'd love to see Craig return (and the support cast playing M, Q, and Moneypenny), I think it's time for new blood behind the camera--especially where the screenwriting is concerned.

Neal Purvis and Robert Wade need to be banished from the franchise. I recently read an interview where Wade said, "We're very well steeped in Ian Fleming." If that's the case, why do you write such dreck? I blame Purvis and Wade for SPECTRE's failings much more than I do John Logan. They're solely responsible for DIE ANOTHER DAY. Why EON ever brought them back after that catastrophe is beyond me.
  • MR-9MR-9 Posts: 15MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

You really think so? I just can't see him doing two climb downs from saying no to another film! And with the whole "full circle" and "conclusion of sorts" that Mendes and DC have been saying in interviews it feels like Mendes has done what he wanted and with the final scene of spectre potentially retired James Bond.

Yeah...they hinted that actually but at the end instead of "James Bond will return", this time for a change or fun they could have done "Bond never retires!" :D

Btw, how about to bring Martin Campbell back for Bond 25th!? The guy who made 2 Best Bond movies in last 20 years!
    am747 wrote:
    MR-9 wrote:
    When I thought in SKYFALL, Bond throwing a knife from behind to kill off such cool villain like Silva was disappointing, this time the thing gets even kinda funnier when we see Bond shooting down Blofeld's chopper with his walther ppk. For Bond, I expect something majestic, more exciting & unique than usual other heroes do stuffs.

To explain Blofeld's chopper going down - when Bond shoots at the helicopter, the bullet hits the part right of the letter L in the image below. This causes the plane to malfunction and crash .... Now we know that even a bird hit on sensitive areas of a plane can cause a plane's downfall :)

Agree and I wasn't actually questioning that, just trying to say expected a better & more exciting final encounter with Blofeld to knock him down.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    MR-9 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

You really think so? I just can't see him doing two climb downs from saying no to another film! And with the whole "full circle" and "conclusion of sorts" that Mendes and DC have been saying in interviews it feels like Mendes has done what he wanted and with the final scene of spectre potentially retired James Bond.

Yeah...they hinted that actually but at the end instead of "James Bond will return", this time for a change or fun they could have done "Bond never retires!" :D

Btw, how about to bring Martin Campbell back for Bond 25th!? The guy who made 2 Best Bond movies in last 20 years!
    am747 wrote:
    MR-9 wrote:

Agree and I wasn't actually questioning that, just trying to say expected a better & more exciting final encounter with Blofeld to knock him down.

I put in an earlier post how if welcome Martin Campbell back in the directors chair and also David Arnold for the score.
    Its not totally ludicrous for a helicopter to be brought down with a bullet in the right place, but I'm not sure a bullet from a 4" auto would be either powerfull enough to puncture the choppers skin or accurate enough from that range! But hey its bond. Its a movie and it's poetic license.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I'm not sure a bullet from a 4" auto would be either powerfull enough to puncture the choppers skin or accurate enough from that range!
    It went into a vent. You could see it if you had my telescopic vision. :))
    Seriously though.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    Apologies that my review of the film is this late, but I just saw the film this weekend.

After the first draft of the script had been made available, I had seen enough of different bits of it from different sites to have and idea of what was going to happen in all the acts. This was not a problem for me as I knew that they would be changing it though further drafts and also because I knew what I would actually end up seeing visually would further improve my experience. Knowing a recipe is one thing but seeing it and tasting it is something else.

The PTS from a cinematic POV was really well done. It almost seemed as if Hitchcock had storyboarded it. It really was a great way to open a Bond - in the middle of a festival celebrating the dead with skull icons everywhere. I loved the building facade collapse and Craig ending up on the sofa, then walking out and seeing the villain and each being surprised they ended up facing each other.

The initial chase through the crowds started to give me a bit of visual disturbance, but once they got to the square and into the helicopter stunt I was fine. The whole stunt was good and brutal and it was a good segue into the ring and the credits sequence, though I still can't figure out why Bond took the ring during the fight. Did he see the villain use that as a calling card in the room meeting?

The credit visuals were Ian Fleming creepy (sex/mystery/violence) though they seemed to be copying some of the ideas from SF (broken glass, mirrors, shadows,etc). They did help distract a bit from the song, though not enough. It would not have been as bad had there been no falsetto bits in the bridge and the bridge itself been cut down to fewer lines. As it stands, those parts for me damage it enough to make it one of another of those I will chose not to own on a soundtrack (along with DAD and QOS).

I enjoyed all of Craig's London sequences in the first act. You could tell he's really into the character (his confidence, his wry humor and his attitude in getting a job done). I enjoyed Q even more in this film and he's been made a more human character since a lot of people have cats and mortgages. I liked how Bond was to be deprived of the new AM and ended up "borrowing it" even though it wasn't quite field ready yet (referenced in a nice amusing way in the Rome chase later). I had a hard time accepting they were putting the DB5 back together as it was so demolished in the last film - though the joke about getting only one piece back was good.

The funeral scene was a pleasure to watch - cinematically well designed and staged. I enjoyed the dialogue - Bond saying he was in life insurance and the little - lets face it - thumb nosing wave at the goon shadowing her. It's one of things I enjoy about the Bond character - he is so sure of himself and has such dislike for the bad guys he will find any excuse, even a small one like this, to basically "poke the bear" and annoy it.

The following scene at the villa was okay, though I don't think Bond would have waited for the two killers to get in place and begin to raise their weapons before taking them out. He would have dispatched them upon arrival (and they could have shown him doing it that way and left a little more time to interact with her in this scene. However, these scenes (as with many in the film) are handled and shot with a presence of design and style that give the Bond series that extra polish of class that sets it apart from other action films.

The SPECTRE meeting was nice and eerie and I like how they kept Blofeld in shadow and you could not here him talking to his assistants. The car chase was fun and even though the bit with the Fiat was a nice joke I could have done without it - it just lengthened the film and had too much of a Roger Moore feeling to it. The parachute escape was fine for the old EON series but seemed a bit out of place in Craig's reboot. If this had been in QOS, he would have bailed out of the car and the villain would have also ended up in the river.

The Austrian scenes were entertaining - I liked that the weather was overcast which gave it a more realistic and oppressive feeling. The total lack of skiing to me was an obvious choice because it had already been done so many times in the series and they wanted this to bit different in the execution. Though I always hated Q being in the field in the past I didn't this time as he actually had a good reason to be there. It also gave him and Bond more screen time to interact and display there professional relationship. My biggest gripe with this sequence is that Bond didn't make sure Hinx was dead. They could have written this in a different way so he could show up later in the train fight, but this didn't seem very logical to me for Bond not to be certain Hinx was a corpse on that truck hood.

Originally I could not understand why Bond and her would have packed formal clothing for a desert train ride, but when I finally saw the scenes in the hotel room I realized they believed there was a large chance they would not survive the trip so they figured they would at least make the best of it (sort of a condemned's last meal or a last cigarette before being executed). They may have also figured if they did succeed why not have a first class celebratory meal at a formal place afterward?

The fight was great - really brutal and it looked real and I liked Hinx's reaction when he realized he was about to go out the door. Some have had a problem with Bond and her diving into bed right after that, but it was a life affirming release from the near death experience and perhaps a last chance to ever do this in their life again giving the possibility their final destination could be their final destination.

Now, here is where I wish they would have fixed the final draft. They should have had Bond and her spend more time with Blofeld (in the first draft I think he had dinner with them and that's when they escaped). I didn't like the torture scene only because it was a bit too cliche for me (just a high tech version of tying the hero in front of the table buzz saw). Yes they were trying to show how cruel Blofeld was but it was lazy way to do it and the only thing that helped was the quality of the acting. I would have preferred the original dinner/escape and a lengthier battle/escape. They could have combined this with Q and M defeating C back in London, then having Bond go off with her and for the final scene reveal the disfigured Blofeld somewhere briefly having escaped the destruction of his HQ then the end credits.

Instead we have them escape from the HQ without a lot of trouble (sort of like Brosnan would have done) with lot of well placed shots. The entire last act in London now seems anti-climatic and overdrawn. The whole bit with the photos of the characters from Craigs previous missions too Joker like - then he miraculously finds her just in time to escape the building (though the fall to the net was fine and made sense).

Shooting down the helicopter with the pistol. Why not have had the boat equipped with a automatic weapon or rifle? I could have bought him taking it out with that. Granted he had to make many shots to get it right, but it still looked a bit silly to me.

The final was handled fine for me though. I liked that he chose to not kill Blofeld (echoing M's line about knowing when not to kill) but instead go off with her. Leaving in the DB5 was a nice touch as well, though I would have shown it outside a cabin back in Austria with the two smiling at each other just before skiing off down the mountain.
    though I still can't figure out why Bond took the ring during the fight.  Did he see the villain use that as a calling card in the room meeting?

Precisely, Bond saw Sciarra flash the ring .... And an extended role for Q somehow makes Bond films more interesting be it TB, LTK or this one :D
    My percentage review:
    5% not totally into the Bond/Blofeld connection.
    4% not thrilled with the score or song.
    91% happy with all the rest.
    -{ That's a WIN!!!
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    Have to agree with this guy (including his comments on the previous Craig films):

https://splicedpersonality.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/spectre/
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • MR-9MR-9 Posts: 15MI6 Agent
    Have to agree with this guy (including his comments on the previous Craig films):

lolz! It's hilarious but painfully true at many parts.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    My percentage review:
    5% not totally into the Bond/Blofeld connection.
    4% not thrilled with the score or song.
    91% happy with all the rest.
    -{ That's a WIN!!!

Hah we have slightly different scores:

3% not totally into the Bond/Blofeld connection.
    3% not thrilled with the score or song.
    5% not enough Monica Bellucci ;%
    89% happy with all the rest. :)) :007)
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    MR-9 wrote:

lolz! It's hilarious but painfully true at many parts.

Great find. I liked it more than he did, but nothing he says is wrong. I have found powerfully diminishing returns setting in real quickly with SP...
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I'm not sure a bullet from a 4" auto would be either powerfull enough to puncture the choppers skin or accurate enough from that range!
    It went into a vent. You could see it if you had my telescopic vision. :))
    Seriously though.

Lol, Bond must have put in some serious target practice, in Sf he couldn't hit Patrice with seven shots at 20yards on that train,
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent

I thought this piece was amusingly observed until the 'lousy Roger Moore era' & 'Brosnan blunders' comments. I'm reading so much po-faced comments from various sources I'm wondering what it constitutes to actually be a Bond fan anymore.
  • om3ga_seamasterom3ga_seamaster Posts: 68MI6 Agent
    BIG TAM wrote:

I thought this piece was amusingly observed until the 'lousy Roger Moore era' & 'Brosnan blunders' comments. I'm reading so much po-faced comments from various sources I'm wondering what it constitutes to actually be a Bond fan anymore.

At this point I'm the only one of my friends that doesn't pick apart the movie and critique it over the smallest of details. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The 007 movies aren't immune from the same issues as any other film or franchise. And, yes, I notice the issues as well.

I guess for me it's just about being a fan and being entertained. Regardless of the mistakes or unfortunate decisions, for me, the good outweighs the bad.

In a world where we're bombarded all day every day with bad news, tragedy - the negative side of everything, going to the movies and getting lost in another world for a couple of hours and allowing myself to just be entertained is a good thing.

No movie is perfect. No franchise is perfect. We all have different likes/dislikes. We all have different measuring sticks. At the end of the day I guess I'm just surprised that a fan forum swings so wildly negative. I'm not saying it needs to be a love fest. And I'm certainly not suggesting people hold back and not be honest. I guess the purpose of this post is to just weigh in and say I've seen it now 4 times. Not because it's a flawless film but because it entertains me. I enjoy it. It's fun. Certainly not perfect but still a wonderful distraction and I leave feeling good.

And, like many of the fans out there, I'll end up watching many of the earlier movies over the course of the holidays. And, still hope to hit Spectre one or two more times before it leaves theaters.

Cheers! -{
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Well said om3ga_seamaster -{ I'm sometimes amazed at the forensic
    detail used by some, to pull apart the films, the slightest little inaccuracy
    is blown out of proportion ( just my opinion) . It's a bit of entertainment
    not a fact based documentary on the Intelligence service. Hence if Bond
    Can shoot down a helicopter with his ppk, I'm fine with that. If a woman
    can die by being painted in gold paint, that's OK with me. If a villain builds
    A huge space station, I'll all for that. :)) Some of us are lucky, we simply
    enjoy the adventures Bond takes us on. {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Well said om3ga_seamaster -{ I'm sometimes amazed at the forensic
    detail used by some, to pull apart the films, the slightest little inaccuracy
    is blown out of proportion ( just my opinion) . It's a bit of entertainment
    not a fact based documentary on the Intelligence service. Hence if Bond
    Can shoot down a helicopter with his ppk, I'm fine with that. If a woman
    can die by being painted in gold paint, that's OK with me. If a villain builds
    A huge space station, I'll all for that. :)) Some of us are lucky, we simply
    enjoy the adventures Bond takes us on. {[]

{[]
    K
    BIG TAM wrote:

At this point I'm the only one of my friends that doesn't pick apart the movie and critique it over the smallest of details. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The 007 movies aren't immune from the same issues as any other film or franchise. And, yes, I notice the issues as well.

I guess for me it's just about being a fan and being entertained. Regardless of the mistakes or unfortunate decisions, for me, the good outweighs the bad.

In a world where we're bombarded all day every day with bad news, tragedy - the negative side of everything, going to the movies and getting lost in another world for a couple of hours and allowing myself to just be entertained is a good thing.

No movie is perfect. No franchise is perfect. We all have different likes/dislikes. We all have different measuring sticks. At the end of the day I guess I'm just surprised that a fan forum swings so wildly negative. I'm not saying it needs to be a love fest. And I'm certainly not suggesting people hold back and not be honest. I guess the purpose of this post is to just weigh in and say I've seen it now 4 times. Not because it's a flawless film but because it entertains me. I enjoy it. It's fun. Certainly not perfect but still a wonderful distraction and I leave feeling good.

And, like many of the fans out there, I'll end up watching many of the earlier movies over the course of the holidays. And, still hope to hit Spectre one or two more times before it leaves theaters.

Cheers! -{

A fan forum is exactly the type of place where it will be dissected endlessly and for a very long time as we are the only people who care about it enough to do that. For most cinema goers it's vapourware. A friend of mine is a major Whovian and gets frustrated with me as I just don't really care enough to explore the minutiae (and we think we may have timeline issues, jeez Louise get a load of those guys) A forum where everyone is positive about the same things would be dull beyond belief, but agree that a sense of perspective is a bonus. It seems that SP is different in as much as timeline issues don't bother me, but a premise i.e. this was all because my father was too fond of you does, as does M's message: if she knew beforehand why not tell Bond? There may be good reasons for this, but the point is we are never told. SP is riddled with this stuff (what on earth was Bond supposed to learn at the funeral, again we are never told) None of this stops me enjoying it, but it does stop SP being a great Bond film, and after all this time and all that money we deserve a great one.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    It has already been pointed out that if you think about it, everthing
    Indy did in The Raiders of the lost Ark, was actually pointless and
    The outcome would have been the same if, he'd just stayed teaching.
    Although somehow, I still enjoy the film. :D
    But yes, fans do worry about the least little thing, as it doesn't bother
    Me. I guess I'm not as big a fan as I thought ! :)) I must be only a....
    ... Casual Fan ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    BIG TAM wrote:

I m with you on this one, I can't think of a single film in the whole bond franchise that stands up totally to minute nitpicking! Or any film for that matter, they are after all entertainment, I can't seriously find it in myself to rank the bond films as they span such a large length of time and encompass such varying factors.
    I like them all for different reasons and some I watch more than others for reasons unique to my mood, the time of year etc,
    I can see the would be failings of spectre but I totally enjoyed it, I can't wait to see it again and I'll buy it on dvd, it amazes me how so many people a critics and so called fans can be so serious in a critique of a bond film.

Cheers! -{
    B-)
    Indy did in The Raiders of the lost Ark, was actually pointless and
    Although somehow, I still enjoy the film. :D
    But yes, fans do worry about the least little thing, as it doesn't bother
    Me. I guess I'm not as big a fan as I thought ! :)) I must be only a....
    ... Casual Fan ;)

I think there are many types of fans, I'm just of the 'anal retentive' variety and for me the sheer amount of this stuff spoils it a bit for me. If it doesn't for you I'm delighted (really I am) B-)
    We are an odd collection, but hopefully a fraternity :D

Indeed we are.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    zaphod99 wrote:

Indeed we are.

{[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Indy did in The Raiders of the lost Ark, was actually pointle
    ss and
    wide-eyes.jpg

OMG. You're right.

Raiders sucks now... :# :# :#