Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

@Vesper007 Looks great! Can't go wrong with a well made authentic Panama. And having lost a few small chunks of my face thanks to skin cancer, I definitely think the wider brim is the way to go! 👍👍

@Chico a new post on spy film inspired overcoats is coming in early November. The Navy one will definitely be included!

Cheers!

• armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent

Welcome back, @canoe2, hope you are doing better!

With the recent Quantum tie run, I can't help but thinking about my favorite suit designs in the series: Skyfall and Spectre. I realized I've been looking for a screen accurate Granborough or Tricolor tie, but realized it'd be nice to have a similar suit for it to go with.

It's tough trying to find something similar to the Tricolor tie suit (dark grey check suit where Bond meets Mallory and then Q) and the best I got was for $649:

Found a decent Spectre PTS alternative at Jos A. Bank on clearance for $195... with the holidays coming up may be a good idea to bookmark this one and check on it through November...

https://www.josbank.com/p/1905-collection-tailored-fit-windowpane-plaid-suit-clearance?medium=TSA&CAWELAID=430003740005176114

The Granborough suit worn during the Q hack/Tube chase seems to be a little more common: Studio Suits has one for $300.

Skyfall PTS option for around $300 as well, also from Studio Suits:

For $99 more you can add a vest to it and I imagine it would also work as a Connery Goldfinger 3 piece:

Yes. Consssssiderably.

Morning all! The latest edition of our Best Budget Style Finds is up!

In a bit of a rush this morning, so I'll just say, "Cheers!" and be off ... 😁

John

• TimeyswirlsTimeyswirls Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    edited October 2022

So after wearing these around for a while I have to say they are a definite win. The suede doesn’t have the luxurious nap that higher cost boots do, but that’s to be expected for sub $100 usd.

That’s about the only negative I have for them aside from the laces being a bit short. The main positive is the sole, despite walking across concrete, asphalt and being used while driving they have no signs of disintegration or weathering. Plus they’ve darkened slightly in some spots and I can only guess that will continue until they match the rubber side wall better.

The contrast stitching is also much less eye catching in person, even in my picture it’s too bright. The color is actually taupe, not white and in person blends quite well.

I’ll continue to wear them and report if there’s any catastrophic failure like the sidewall coming apart but they’re quite nice right now. They feel a bit like wearing converse with a bit more support and grip.

Curious to see a review from anyone who’ll buy them in the lighter tan color. Those are closer to the Bullitt pair and the pictures seem like that suede might have slightly more nap to it

@armenianmovieman some great suit finds! I haven't done a suit post in a loooong time. Might be time to rectify that situation.

@Timeyswirls those Madcaps look really nice! And it's hard to beat that $87 price tag. Looking forward to hearing how they wear.

New post, not Bond related. I've always liked David Beckham's look in that older photo of him from 2014. So I went on the hunt for info about the clothing and alternatives. Just a simple but solid fall fit.

Cheers!

John

• ChicoChico Posts: 56MI6 Agent

Anyone ever review or get a suit from JBSuits? They apparently do custom measurements to your specific size, I don’t know anything more about them since there are no reviews.

https://jbsuits.com/

@Chico I haven't heard much about JB Suits. But maybe Matt @Matt S could offer some insights? Although I doubt it will be very positive 😁

New post: 5 Things I Want for October, my selfish wish list of things I've discovered around the internet.

Fair warning! I went a little crazy with this one

Cheers!

John

Hi all!

Hutton boots were kind enough to gift me a pair of there most recent Playtime chukkas for a review.

If you're interested in McQueen's style, I go into some detail about the history of Hutton and the Playboy-Playtime model and it's connection to the actor. And even though these were gifted, I hope you all know I try to provide objective and honesty feedback on products. So I discuss what I like and don't like about the chukkas. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers!

John

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    edited October 2022

Terrific review John. Very balanced. As I have wide feet with a very high arch I wonder if I can even wear these boots.

I do have a pair of the "Original Playboys" from the Danish company you mentioned. They did at one time ship to the US. They are fine. They do slip a little in the heels for me.

Regarding the black soles, I'd buy your theory about the Bullitt costume department darkening the soles and the foxing except for the fact that four years earlier McQueen's chukkas had black soles. This is evident in the 1964 William Claxton Carmel pictures. So did McQueen have his footwear altered or are Hutton's records from the 1960s incomplete?

@Westward_Drift thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. I don't think the width in the boots will be a problem. They're actually quite wide and I didn't have any issues. As for the volume, I replaced the one the Hutton comes with with a pair of Superfeet. Those footbeds are actually quite thin in the forefoot area, so they don't impact the volume very much, but offer a lot of arch support. As I said in the review, the boots are snug up front with the Superfeet, but not painful or anything. And after wearing them for about a week now, they're starting to stretch out a little. I think it will come down to what footbed you use.

As for the black soles, it was Hutton that told me directly that Play-boys and Playtimes only ever used blonde crepe. I agree they could be mistaken (Hutton was no longer making the boots after 1973 so that's a long time for records to get lost). Hutton also did special make-ups for different retailers in the U.S., so that's another possibility. But one thing I noticed when I was studying those color photos of McQueen at Carmel is that the photos themselves are very dark (for example, the color of his cardigan looks to be a darker blue than it actually was). When you look at the black and white photos from the same day, the soles and foxing actually come out as dark grey instead of "black" black, very much like the images Hutton sent me of worn Playtimes. The problem I have is that the soles of McQueen's boots are a solid dark color from toe to heel. And the wear I've seen on modern Huttons (with the blonde sole) shows that the forefoot and heel goes nearly black, but the arch area stays lighter where there's less wear. Anyway, the reality is the true color of those soles is probably lost to time.

On another note, I have a new post today on Bond inspired knitwear!

I'll be doing a dedicated post on the black polo sweater in the near future, so don't worry that it's not on the list.

Cheers!

John

Morning all! Just did an update on the post about Craig's C&J Pembrokes. Gorgeous shoes and perfect for the fall, imho. Also some very solid alternatives this season!

Cheers!

John

Hello! New post: I spoke with Peter, the new managing director at Curry & Paxton, about the brand's history, Michael Caine and their plans for the future. Really nice gentleman and it was a fun discussion. Curry & Paxton is also offering IA readers a 20% discount on their eyewear. Unfortunately I can't share the code directly here, since C&P asked that I keep confined to the article for now. Anyway, it's a good time to pick up some Seans or Yvans! Lastly, they also sent me a pair to review. I actually decided to try out a different model, the Hughes. So you can read my thoughts on those.

Cheers, everyone!

John

Happy Sunday! I went back to McQueen for today's post and looked at his Hanhart watch.

Something a little different, and a change from Rolexes and Omegas.

Enjoy your day, gang!

John

Back to Bond! Today's post is the classic black polo sweater from TB and CR

I'm working on the Best Boots for Fall post next. So if anyone has some good suggestions for alternatives for our favorites, please share! Just an FYI, I do the suede chukkas in a separate post, so this one is focused on the full grain leather models.

Cheers!

John

• DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent

@canoe2 Your earlier recommendation for a Tetbury alternative from Meermin seems to have been discontinued but the replacement looks good; I think it is a higher cut than the Tetbury but it does have 2 eyelets, studded sole, Goodyear Welted and a reasonably chiselled box toe; the 101268 ib black calf. I haven't owned a pair of Meermin shoes or boots - would love to know what others think of them.

https://eu.meermin.com/collections/mens-boots/products/101268-black-calf-e

My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent

That Hanhart is lovely, I've not seen that before, thank you. I love most of those alternatives too!

Here's another homage watch, maybe not quite the same, but I quite like its vintagey styling.

Thanks for sharing that, @emtiem They do a few really nice models that would do the trick! And they're very affordable. They also have a decent alternative for the SP Omega SM300

Not perfect, but a nice "inspired by" option. And only a $179

Cheers!

edited November 2022

Yes that is nice. Intended as more of a CWC homage I guess, but it has that vibe, certainly. And Bond might well have worn one in the Navy! 😊

Mind you, I guess Omega and CWC made pretty much the same watch back in the day, I guess to MOD spec? Not sure. Which was an SM300 of course 😁

I did pick up one of their dirty dozen watches a few months back: they're so inexpensive as not to worry about and they got the styling pretty right I think. And it's not like a dirty dozen watch is ripping off any particular brand! Very decently made too.

Must admit you got me with those Nike boots- they look pretty handy. Got a pair on the way!

Morning! I've updated the post on the Bond, McQueen and Craig inspired boots with a LOT of new options:

Some great affordable alternatives out there this season! @DB6 I will be including those Meermins you shared again in the update for the post specifically about the Bond chukkas.

Cheers!

John

Happy Sunday!

New post is up. I wanted to look at some other sweater styles we don't normally see a lot of. So nothing directly Bond, Craig or style icon related. It's more that I think the knitwear itself is iconic 😁

Cheers!

John

Back to Bond today. New alternatives for the SP Solden jacket

There's a great one from Mango for $99 this season. And one from Tommy Bahama, believe it or not

Cheers!

John

Happy Friday! A classic piece of Bond outerwear for today's post

Interested to hear thoughts on this one. I'll be updating the posts on the more traditional navy overcoats very soon. But I wanted to get started with something a little more unusual.

Cheers!

John

• ChicoChico Posts: 56MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

Hello, just enjoyed reading your post @canoe2 !

On the topic of coats, I’ve got a question for anyone about my Royale Filmwear Bond Peacoat. It’s all great, except for the left lapel which seems to have gotten bent in packaging.

I understand stuff happens in deliveries, and I enjoy the coat in this winter weather, but is there a way to correct it? Just doesn’t look right to me

I’d like it just to lay flat, like the right one, tried ironing but didn’t stay like I want it to. Any solutions?

Left (top), right (bottom):

• lotusguy2001lotusguy2001 Posts: 132MI6 Agent

Perhaps try steaming it , like when a hat is shaped, that usually works for me, you can spritz it with water, then steam it and shape it.

And want to reiterate I’ve been loving the Iconic posts lately, the Beckham, the classic sweaters, and the camel coat have been great.

@Chico I'd reach out to Daniel to see what he recommends. But as @lotusguy2001 said, your best bet is to dampen the fabric and then steam it into shape. I'm not sure if Daniel bonded a liner into the lapel of his coat. But if he did, applying direct heat from an iron might actually cause it to warp. Also, there's always the dry cleaners. I've had plenty of old, wrinkled wool coats I found thrifting brought back to life by a good dry cleaning service. I'm sure a reputable one could handle this job.

And thank you both for the kind words! Glad you're enjoying the posts!

On another note, today's article is about as far away from Bond as we can get. I decided to go down the rabbit hole of Western outerwear from Yellowstone ...

Won't be to everyone's taste 😁 But if you do like that workwear cowboy style, there's some great jackets and coats out there.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

John

• McQueenMcQueen Posts: 138MI6 Agent

@canoe2 The shearling jacket worn by Costner is an RRL from a few seasons back. Many of his denim shirts, and jeans are as well.

The Overland Mustang is a model that was released this year and is close in design. I have a few coats from them, all in 42, but I sized up to the 44 in this model due to the narrow shoulders.

Awesome, thank you! I'll update the post with credit to you for the correct info. Appreciate it!

edited November 2022

Gosh, for a rough-and-ready outdoorsman, Costner's character is quite the clotheshorse, isn't he? 😄

I have a couple of Penfield jackets in a similar style to the one you picked, and they're great come winter.

Hi all! New post: our best budget style finds for Nov. I've also created a Master List at the end of the post with the Black Friday Deals I've been finding from our favorite "alternative" brands 😁 I'll keep updating as I find more. Cheers!