Bond 25, shooting news and Rumours. ( possible Spoilers)

Comments

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Doesn't it seem odd that they're writing a script without assurances from Craig? I would think the entire plot might change depending on whether he's in the film. 2018 may be out of reach either way, but it strikes me as definitely Off the table if Craig doesn't come back.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I agree. If DC is on board, they can seamlessly pick up from where Spectre left off, if they wish to do so. If there's a new Bond, then a completely new storyline seems to be in order I would have thought. Certainly different approaches for the writers depending on what's going on.
    I agree. If DC is on board, they can seamlessly pick up from where Spectre left off, if they wish to do so. If there's a new Bond, then a completely new storyline seems to be in order I would have thought. Certainly different approaches for the writers depending on what's going on.

Then again, Purvis and Wade are on record saying that Spectre was "the end of a certain way of doing Bond," whatever that means. So perhaps the next film will stand alone no matter who plays Bond. That would be my preference, so it's probably wishful thinking.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent

Then again, Purvis and Wade are on record saying that Spectre was "the end of a certain way of doing Bond," whatever that means. So perhaps the next film will stand alone no matter who plays Bond. That would be my preference, so it's probably wishful thinking.

It'll definitely be a Donald Trump inspired story, I bet
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Doesn't it seem odd that they're writing a script without assurances from Craig? I would think the entire plot might change depending on whether he's in the film. 2018 may be out of reach either way, but it strikes me as definitely Off the table if Craig doesn't come back.

Accomplished script writers are supposed to write a script so that many actors can play the parts. It's not unusual to have a script written and then actors are replaced. It's almost normal.

From Wikipedia concerning The Man From Uncle

In November 2010, George Clooney showed interest in the film,[12] and was in talks for the lead role of Napoleon Solo, but he left in September 2011 due to a recurring back injury.[13][14] After Clooney's departure, actors including Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ryan Gosling, Channing Tatum, Alexander Skarsgård, Ewan McGregor, Robert Pattinson, Matt Damon, Christian Bale, Michael Fassbender, Bradley Cooper, Leonardo DiCaprio, Joel Kinnaman, Russell Crowe, Chris Pine, Ryan Reynolds, and Jon Hamm were considered for the lead role.[15] On March 18, 2013, Tom Cruise was in early talks to take the lead in the film.[9] Armie Hammer was cast in the second lead role as Illya Kuryakin on April 24, 2013, with Cruise set as Solo.[16] Swedish actress Alicia Vikander joined the film on May 8, 2013, as the female lead.[17] On May 23, 2013, Cruise dropped out of the film, due to his commitment to Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation.[18][19] British actor Henry Cavill replaced Cruise.[20][21][22] Elizabeth Debicki was cast in a femme fatale role on July 31, 2013; Rose Byrne and Charlize Theron were earlier considered for the same part.[
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:

Accomplished script writers are supposed to write a script so that many actors can play the parts. It's not unusual to have a script written and then actors are replaced. It's almost normal.

In November 2010, George Clooney showed interest in the film,[12] and was in talks for the lead role of Napoleon Solo, but he left in September 2011 due to a recurring back injury.[13][14] After Clooney's departure, actors including Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ryan Gosling, Channing Tatum, Alexander Skarsgård, Ewan McGregor, Robert Pattinson, Matt Damon, Christian Bale, Michael Fassbender, Bradley Cooper, Leonardo DiCaprio, Joel Kinnaman, Russell Crowe, Chris Pine, Ryan Reynolds, and Jon Hamm were considered for the lead role.[15] On March 18, 2013, Tom Cruise was in early talks to take the lead in the film.[9] Armie Hammer was cast in the second lead role as Illya Kuryakin on April 24, 2013, with Cruise set as Solo.[16] Swedish actress Alicia Vikander joined the film on May 8, 2013, as the female lead.[17] On May 23, 2013, Cruise dropped out of the film, due to his commitment to Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation.[18][19] British actor Henry Cavill replaced Cruise.[20][21][22] Elizabeth Debicki was cast in a femme fatale role on July 31, 2013; Rose Byrne and Charlize Theron were earlier considered for the same part.[

The concern is whether or not the next story will continue from Spectre. The actor makes a big difference if they want to continue the story from Spectre.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • dickiebartdickiebart Posts: 220MI6 Agent
    IMG_1740.png

Just saw this tidbit on Twitter?!?
    http://www.007collection.blogspot.com check it! All my 007 autographs, toys, cars, books and more!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    dickiebart wrote:
    IMG_1740.png

Just saw this tidbit on Twitter?!?

Well, that's interesting, and muddies the waters a bit IF there's anything to it.

Still waiting on something official - and dying to know whether I get to collect on my $5 Hiddleston bet :)) Of course, I'll be happy if Craigger does another, as well.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Gala Brand wrote:

Great. But UNCLE wasn't that good. And I doubt anyone here would call Purvis and Wade "accomplished script writers." Further, as Matt points out, the Spectre story line is pretty specific and can't really continue without Craig. So my point stands.
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    If that Twitter image is 100 percent legit and not made up - it means Chris Nolan is to direct Bond 25? I wouldn't believe one Twitter post, though.
    "Fake news!"
    (said in my worst Donald Trump accent) :D
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Isn't that just from the IMDB which anybody can edit / add like wikipedia (i.e. doesn't really mean much at all)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    If it were true that would generate a massive amount of excitement since Nolan is one of if not the hottest directors in the business at the moment.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited May 2017
    First of all, I don't believe that Nolan would sign on to direct Bond without having written the script himself with his brother.
    I would find it hard to believe that the Purvis and Wade script was so good that it would only need a polish by the Nolan Brothers....but stranger things have happened. Bottom line is as said by others, anybody with the ability to log on to IMDB can write anything. If we want to get really out there with this I'll put out a far fetched theory I have come up with: despite all the wooing, etc Craig has finally told EON he is officially through with Bond. EON, before they decide to just move on with another Bond actor, director, etc decide they have nothing to loose by secretly reaching out to Nolan as to whether he would truly have interest in doing Bond. EON basically lays it out to Nolan that except for the Bond theme, a pre-title sequence and the gun barrel walk he basically has a clean slate to work with on Bond including the option of doing a Dark Knight-like trilogy. To everyone's surprise, Nolan agrees. The next day, the British Tabs are reporting that Tom Hardy is utilizing a special experimental stretching chamber to add 3 inches in height in preparation for playing Bond. :s :)) -{ Again, totally far fetched but one never knows.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Getting Nolan would be the best of all worlds for EON, but are they willing to give up creative control?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Or is Nolan willing to give up (some) creative control for his dream of directing a Bond movie? I think it goes both ways.
    Number24 wrote:
    Or is Nolan willing to give up (some) creative control for his dream of directing a Bond movie? I think it goes both ways.

I think he's smart enough not to do that. Giving up creative control to direct a Bond film would be the most frustrating thing for someone used to having complete creative control. He'd be so disappointed in the resulting film otherwise.
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I think he's smart enough not to do that. Giving up creative control to direct a Bond film would be the most frustrating thing for someone used to having complete creative control. He'd be so disappointed in the resulting film otherwise.

I think it's actually the exact opposite. I honestly think that BB and MGW will let Nolan do whatever he wants and will need his name to launch the next actor who plays Bond and get as many people in the seats as possible.

Because the actor who plays Bond is going to be a newcomer\non-famous person who WILL be signed for at least 6 (if not 7) pics.
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I think it's actually the exact opposite. I honestly think that BB and MGW will let Nolan do whatever he wants and will need his name to launch the next actor who plays Bond and get as many people in the seats as possible.

Because the actor who plays Bond is going to be a newcomer\non-famous person who WILL be signed for at least 6 (if not 7) pics.

As of now, Purvis & Wade are being paid to write a script. Do you think Nolan really wants to work with their drivel?
    edited May 2017
    I don't think EON will ask for total creative control and neither will Nolan expect to get it if he ever directs Bond. It will be a trade-off and he will probably get more freedom than most Bond directors. Someone wrote once that the Bond producers can be compared to showrunners on a major TV-series and less like most move producers. Tom Cruise has had a clear policy of letting directors put their own stamp on the Mission Impossible movies, and it sometimes shows. But he can do it because there is much less of a MI- style and much less history to live up to. But I still think there has to be some creative freedom if they want to hide the best directors. Still, no-one will get total control. Not the director and not EON.
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't think EON will ask for total creative control and neither will Nolan expect to get it if he ever directs Bond. It will be a trade-off and he will probably get more freedom than most Bond directors. Someone wrote once that the Bond producers can be compared to showrunners on a major TV-series and less like most move producers. Tom Cruise has had a clear policy of letting directors put their own stamp on the Mission Impossible movies, and it sometimes shows. But he can do it because there is much less of a MI- style and much less history to live up to. But I still think there has to be some creative freedom if they want to hide the best directors. Still, no-one will get total control. Not the director and not EON.

I was the one who compared EON to the showrunners of a TV show. Sam Mendes is probably the most high-profile director that the Bond series has had, and even he didn't have nearly as much control as Nolan is used to having. It showed that Mendes really didn't have control over the whole film. Nolan wouldn't be able to do much more than bring in a bad composer for the score like Mendes did.
    Sam Mendes got his prefered DoP Roger Deakins on Skyfall (he wasn't available for SPECTRE). That is important. It's also my impression that he had some input on the plot. Nolan would get less control than he usually gets, but it would be far from having no control IMO.
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

As of now, Purvis & Wade are being paid to write a script. Do you think Nolan really wants to work with their drivel?

What I meant to say was that Nolan's Bond film will be the debut of the next Bond. Whether that's Bond 25 or 26 (I hope neither) or 27 I don't know. But I feel Nolan will definitely get to direct the next James Bond.

The Blofeld\Bond history in Spectre and the idea of focusing on Bond as a person and his origins in Skyfall is obviously very very Mendes, so I think Nolan will have the same control Mendes had, perhaps a tiny bit more at the most. I can't guess how Purvis and Wade get thrown in the mix: do they write a draft, which goes to Jonathan Nolan, then to Chris? Do they just write an outline and give it to one or both of the Nolan Bros? I think they'll just have an outline, like what David Goyer did with the Batman sequels: he wrote the story with Chris Nolan, then passed it on to Jonathan Nolan, who wrote a draft which Christopher Nolan did a final pass over before filming.
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited May 2017
    Nolan is a huge Bond fan, more specifically a Bond film fan who has indicated an interest in the recent past of wanting to do a Bond film. When you look at the Bond influence in Nolan's films, more specifically Inception, I don't think Nolan is interested in reinventing or for lack of a better term, "messing" with Bond. I think Nolan would want to make the absolute best variation on a "classic" Bond film more than likely using OHMSS as his inspiration. I wouldn't mind seeing Nolan create a trilogy or two films out of OHMSS and YOLT. As far as casting Bond for the Nolan films, I don't believe Nolan would be as wed to Tom Hardy as many would think. He might very well be a fan of Tom Hiddleston or someone we have no idea of. Nolan might even be able to talk Christian Bale (despite his dismissal of the role) into the tux. It's fun to imagine however.
    I don't think it's about the plots of those movies, but the style. I agree on everything the part about Hardy. People seem to take it for granted that hiring Nolan means casting Hardy, but I'm not sure about that.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    My dream scenario is for DC to return for a fifth, THEN, after that, the next bond stars in the Nolan Blofeld trilogy. I want The Garden Of Death in one of these films (or DC's last, either is good). And Michael Caine in a bond film would be brilliant. Do you think he'd make a better ally or villain?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    considering the surprise plot twist of the last film, maybe they should just leave Michael Caine out of it
    As much as I love Michael Caine, I can't imagine him in a Bond film as anything more than a gimmick.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    As much as I love Michael Caine, I can't imagine him in a Bond film as anything more than a gimmick.

Bonds father back from the dead :))
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    Caine was perfect in Goldmember :)) - the inspiration for Spectre
    This IMDB/Nolan thing is ridiculous. The media is now starting to report it as though it's a story.
This discussion has been closed.