Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    Do you know what? I am going to agree with you almost entirely here.
    {[]
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    We are hopelessly starved for real news around here. If something was going to happen with respect to Bond 25 in 2018, I would think we'd be starting to hear actual rumblings. Instead, it's crickets.

On the other hand, Tom Hiddleston's 2018 is looking rather wide open!

I'm bored of all the 'non news' now. Impatient even.

I still hope it's TH, only because I have a flutter on it... but this not knowing is just cruel.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I'm impatient for real news too. At least they should be able to name the scriptwriters and director soon.

Tom Hiddleston does seem to have a lot of time on his hands next year, but I wouldn't read too much into it. I've IMDB'ed a number of actors and having little or nothing on the plate for 2018 at this time is nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not saying the rumours about Hiddleston are wrong, I just can't find anything to support it.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Hiddleston will be busy promoting skull island worldwide for some time, he also may be looking at some theatre work??
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited February 2017
    It appears that Hiddleston's next project is as a voice artist in an upcoming animated feature. Aiden Turner has either finished filming season 3 of Poldark or close to finishing for spring 2017 airing. No news regarding whether Poldark will continue after season 3 at this time. So the two most talked about Bond candidates still appear to be very available for Bond 25. Craig is committed to Purity but in a supporting but recurring role. Most of what I have read about the Purity Series has it filming in 2017. It's all still remains a mystery as long as all the players remain mum.
    I've started thinking that the longer we have no word about a new Bond the more likely it is dc will return, if he'd gone then eon would push on with the project at their own pace, Im thinking with dc doing 2 films and purity the bond question keeps the publics interest and also they would want those projects done and dusted so as not to detract from Bond, the makers of Dc's 2 films and purity also wouldn't want Dc's appeal diluted with he's making bond 25 or he's left the role.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I've started thinking that the longer we have no word about a new Bond the more likely it is dc will return, if he'd gone then eon would push on with the project at their own pace, Im thinking with dc doing 2 films and purity the bond question keeps the publics interest and also they would want those projects done and dusted so as not to detract from Bond, the makers of Dc's 2 films and purity also wouldn't want Dc's appeal diluted with he's making bond 25 or he's left the role.

This is my thinking too...unless they are waiting on 2 possible actors...? The whole thing is just weird!
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

This is my thinking too...unless they are waiting on 2 possible actors...? The whole thing is just weird!
    Great minds think alike :)
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Would it make any sense if they were waiting on Skull Island to see how TH does as an action hero? I don't think it would be the case, but who knows.
    what can I say? Lack of real news is making me crazy.
    Would it make any sense if they were waiting on Skull Island to see how TH does as an action hero? I don't think it would be the case, but who knows.
    what can I say? Lack of real news is making me crazy.

If Hiddleston is the guy, EON isn't waiting on how the Kong film does to make a final decision. EON made their decision based upon screen tests, interviews and Hiddleston's past body of work.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Frustration is quickly giving way to apathy. A friend who is a Dr. Who nerd asked me what I thought about Capaldi leaving. I only have a passing/casual interest and told him that I really could not muster much interest,and that it had run its course and should go and have a long lie down to think about what it's done only to return if it really has something special. I'm starting to think the same about Bond. The novels and the films will always be important to me, but as to what happens next. Perhaps Daniel is right and he and we are done.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Frustration is quickly giving way to apathy. A friend who is a Dr. Who nerd asked me what I thought about Capaldi leaving. I only have a passing/casual interest and told him that I really could not muster much interest,and that it had run its course and should go and have a long lie down to think about what it's done only to return if it really has something special. I'm starting to think the same about Bond. The novels and the films will always be important to me, but as to what happens next. Perhaps Daniel is right and he and we are done.

Whoa whoa whoa! Dude!...a bit of perspective! Bond is not done -{ Bond is never done -{ The show must go on and Daniel will be back -{
    Revolver66 wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa! Dude!...a bit of perspective! Bond is not done -{ Bond is never done -{ The show must go on and Daniel will be back -{
    It's only been just over a year since the last bond, zaphod you need a stiff drink my friend, it's frustrating having no solid news but it will come.
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    I think that the next actor is lined up ready to go as first reserve in case DC backs out. My opinion is that he (DC) will call it time and the next Bond will be announced.

There will be a draft script which features an outline of a story but it won't be fleshed out until the new/next Bond is decided. At that point there will be a flurry of writing to make it fit the actor and to determine if it is a continuation or reboot.

My favoured option is for DC to call it a day. TH to take over and for a soft reboot to take place where the only new actor is TH, but forgetting the previous DC films.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    IanT wrote:
    My favoured option is for DC to call it a day. TH to take over and for a soft reboot to take place where the only new actor is TH, but forgetting the previous DC films.

This is also my preferred scenario. I think Hiddleston is a real talent and could easily make the role his own. I could also get behind Turner. He is excellent in Poldark. A real darkness about him.
    If a new actor takes over the role in the next movie, I would like to see an even softer reboot. I think the Blofeld storyline has to finish, so the new actor should take over the DC storyline too. This is nothing new. Both Moore and Dalton had references to Tracy in OHMSS in their movies. If DC returns in Bond25 and wraps up the Blofeld story there can be a clearer break from previous movies.

In any case the MI6 regulars and Leiter should return with the same cast.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

It's only been just over a year since the last bond, zaphod you need a stiff drink my friend, it's frustrating having no solid news but it will come.

Thanks very much. I don't think Bond is done, just that I'm possibly done with it. I think Hiddleston is very good, and would make a fine Bond. It's just that I cannot fathom how they can avoid increasingly diminishing returns. But hey, I'm not a filmmaker so what do I know. Perhaps a stiff drink and a lie down are in order :007)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:

Thanks very much. I don't think Bond is done, just that I'm possibly done with it. I think Hiddleston is very good, and would make a fine Bond. It's just that I cannot fathom how they can avoid increasingly diminishing returns. But hey, I'm not a filmmaker so what do I know. Perhaps a stiff drink and a lie down are in order :007)
    I think EON will be hoping to top Skyfall with each subsequent film like they tried with Spectre.
    I think if Craig returns for 25, EON tightens things up a bit and dials back the excesses that made SPECTRE less than the sum of its parts.
    While SPECTRE was a box office success, I don't believe that the folks at EON are so tone deaf as to not realize they need to make a better film. Barbara Broccolli and Michael Wilson have proven to be pretty good at looking at the big picture and tend to bounce back from a mediocre effort. While we have been very focused on whether Craig will return, the other big question is does Mendes return with Craig?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I think if Craig returns for 25, EON tightens things up a bit and dials back the excesses that made SPECTRE less than the sum of its parts.
    While SPECTRE was a box office success, I don't believe that the folks at EON are so tone deaf as to not realize they need to make a better film. Barbara Broccolli and Michael Wilson have proven to be pretty good at looking at the big picture and tend to bounce back from a mediocre effort. While we have been very focused on whether Craig will return, the other big question is does Mendes return with Craig?

If you believe EON is good at bouncing back from a mediocre effort, hopefully they will be smart enough to not let Mendes near the series again.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    If you believe EON is good at bouncing back from a mediocre effort, hopefully they will be smart enough to not let Mendes near the series again.
    I would prefer Mendes not return also, but while there are those who did not care for Skyfall who post here, it was a huge commercial and critical success. Mendes is a very talented director, it is not inconceivable that in hindsight he understands that some misjudgements were made with SPECTRE and would have the ability to move on and make a better film of Bond 25 if given the opportunity.
    As much as I get a bit concerned about Bond 25, this bit of rational (or possibly deluded) thought :s puts me a bit more at ease:
    1) Craig returns for Bond 25; things get tightened up a bit and we get another classic
    2) Craig does not return and we get a soft reboot with either Tom Hiddleston or Aiden Turner as Bond, two actors who I would be perfectly fine with to carry on in the tux.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    HowardB wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    I would prefer Mendes not return also, but while there are those who did not care for Skyfall who post here, it was a huge commercial and critical success. Mendes is a very talented director, it is not inconceivable that in hindsight he understands that some misjudgements were made with SPECTRE and would have the ability to move on and make a better film of Bond 25 if given the opportunity.
    As much as I get a bit concerned about Bond 25, this bit of rational (or possibly deluded) thought :s puts me a bit more at ease:
    1) Craig returns for Bond 25; things get tightened up a bit and we get another classic
    2) Craig does not return and we get a soft reboot with either Tom Hiddleston or Aiden Turner as Bond, two actors who I would be perfectly fine with to carry on in the tux.

I remain in the camp that believes that unless Craig is persuaded to return, Tom is the man :007) That said, Mendes gave us some great Bond moments...but I too am ready for a different director's vision. I think Sam is played out, re: Bond.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Matt S wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

I agree but unlike Skyfall, Spectre doesn't feel or look much like a Sam Mendes film.
    Is the strong focus on Bond's past an personal life mainly from Mendes, the producers or the scriptwriters? Obviously it didn't happen against the will of any of them, but who was the main force behind this shift in focus? What do members think?
    Matt S wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

I agree but unlike Skyfall, Spectre doesn't feel or look much like a Sam Mendes film.

I think SPECTRE was an uneven attempt at combining a Sam Mendes Bond film with a classic Bond film. When you try to satisfy everyone, you end up satisfying no one. I actually like SPECTRE just because it has enough excellent moments to almost overcome the bad stuff.
    I think Sam is played out, re: Bond.

Mendes thought that too after Skyfall. He should have stuck with his gut.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

It may be that Mendes ran out of original ideas with Skyfall or it may be that some combination of EON/MGM/Sony didn't like his original ideas for Spectre.

We'll never know.

The idea of a hit man who has grown tired of his work isn't very original, but it was original to Bond.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Matt S wrote:

But he was already signed on for a second before Skyfall was filmed...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

But he was already signed on for a second before Skyfall was filmed...

So he was just full of crap when he said he wasn't going to do another movie after Skyfall?
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

It may be that Mendes ran out of original ideas with Skyfall or it may be that some combination of EON/MGM/Sony didn't like his original ideas for Spectre.

We'll never know.

The idea of a hit man who has grown tired of his work isn't very original, but it was original to Bond.
    Mendes has said that he threw everything he could've wanted into a Bond film into Skyfall. And he originally wasn't interested in doing another Bond film until they threw enough money at him I guess.
This discussion has been closed.