Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Hmm but DC is a lover not a fighter (skinny boy) in Layer Cake
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The movies are all about make believe anyway. Even the original King Kong
    was only 18 inches high. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:
    Can the name James even be used for a female?

I don't know why everyone is saying the female version would be named "Jane", as the female version is obviously "Jamie". I know many females named "Jamie" whilst the few "Janes" I know are older than my mother.

Yeah I knew Jamie was one. Was just not sure about James itself.

But either way, if not James, then the character wouldn't be James Bond anymore. The series would have to be known as the Bond series, rather than the James Bond series.

Either way, as I've mentioned, I think the idea is just plain stupid.

People can be named anything. I can only think of a woman I knew who went by Charlie, but it was short for Charlotte. On the other hand, I knew a boy named Sapphire. I don't think they could have a woman Bond named "James". It would be like in Remington Steele when Laura Holt had to use a man's name to be taken seriously as a private investigator. The show made a statement about the sad reality of capable women not being taken seriously in male-dominated professions. But the same approach today wouldn't work.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,330MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Regarding Hiddleston, I think he lacks the physicality to play Bond. Some have pointed to the fight scene in The Night Manager as evidencing the required physicality, but the problem with that scene is that Tom Hollander who played Corkie is very short (5'5"). His lack of height was accentuated by the height of the three actors he appeared around, Laurie, Hiddleston, and Debecki, who were all well over six feet.

As Hiddleston's character was beating Corkie to death I could only think, pick on somebody your own size!

Anyway, intense physical scenes are de rigueur in spy films nowadays and I don't see Hiddleston matching up to Craig, Cruise, or Damon in that department.

In episode...two? Hiddleston beats the hell out of a huge guy in a bar.

His physicality will not be any kind of issue. The big X factor is what kind of tone the filmmakers hope to effect on this iteration of Bond, and whether Hiddleston is a good fit for that (at the moment, unknown) tone. As per the last time, it is probably something that hasn't even occurred to us plebes.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Still not sure TH is the next Bond! Find it quite funny thr Hiddleston war seems to have started before it's even been confirmed :))
    Cue, some old bar room brawl footage ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Just waiting for Alessandra to come back to really stir it all up :)) still think she wasn't an Italian PR lady/ journalist but really a welder from Grimsby called Cyril :))
    It's the cover I use ! ;)
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:
    Still not sure TH is the next Bond! Find it quite funny thr Hiddleston war seems to have started before it's even been confirmed :))

I doubt there will be a full-blown Hiddleston War. I expect his tenure to be altogether less polarizing than Craig's.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,610Chief of Staff
    Barbel wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Hmm I was wondering that myself. Come on sir miles we need that information! Are you in fact Michael g Wilson?

Drat, they've rumbled us Mike... I mean Miles! :))

Quick...start the car, Babs...err...Barbel :o :D
    YNWA 97
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    superdaddy wrote:

I doubt there will be a full-blown Hiddleston War. I expect his tenure to be altogether less polarizing than Craig's.

I'm going to call it the Tom Turmoil :)) It will happen, because there will be some who simply don't see him as Bond, no matter what, especially if---in the announcement presser---he looks significantly different from the Bond he will portray (as Craig certainly did, with his longer-cut bleach-blond hair, on the bank of the Thames)...but I agree that the controversy will be less overall than it was in '05, as I think Eon have earned the benefit of the doubt, as evidenced by Craigger's success in the role.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Bring it on, To survive war, you gotta become war ! Same with shopping at TK Max.
    To be honest I thought he'd already been mentioned :) if true I'm guessing a
    Big dance number as the climax of the film. "Jazz hands at Dawn " :))
    eric7064 wrote:

I'm only slightly less likely to get the part myself :007)
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    edited May 2016
    Jarvio wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:
    Can the name James even be used for a female?

I don't know why everyone is saying the female version would be named "Jane", as the female version is obviously "Jamie". I know many females named "Jamie" whilst the few "Janes" I know are older than my mother.

Yeah I knew Jamie was one. Was just not sure about James itself.

But either way, if not James, then the character wouldn't be James Bond anymore. The series would have to be known as the Bond series, rather than the James Bond series.

Either way, as I've mentioned, I think the idea is just plain stupid.

Male and female names are mixed nowadays, no-one will mind a female named James Bond. And I used to work with a Jane, she may have been older than me, but certainly much younger than my mum.
    Jag wrote:
    no-one will mind a female named James Bond.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited May 2016
    eric7064 wrote:

That article is complete rubbish. Gee whizz, Jamie Bell is in a film produced by Barbara Brocolli, he's meeting with Barbara Brocolli, so it must be concluded that he is a candidate to be the next Bond. No way he could be meeting with her because he is currently in a film she is producing. Sheesh :s

OK, back to business. This idea that Hiddelston isn't physical enough because he beat up on a short guy is kind of ludacris.The fight scene with the short and stocky Corky in Night Manager was not real, it was a movie fight. It was realistically awkward, took place in the dark and wasn't photographed very well IMO; it did end in a very real, incredibly brutal way. IMO, with the proper training, choreography and cinematography, even though Hiddelston to my knowledge has never been an MI6 agent, martial arts expert, MMA Fighter, or SAS Commando in real life the creative team behind the action in the Bond films will be able to make him fight like James Bond on the screen. Ironically, my issue with Hiddelston's physical presence has more to do with the way he carries himself ala Connery and Craig.
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    eric7064 wrote:

That article is complete rubbish. Gee whizz, Jamie Bell is in a film produced by Barbara Brocolli, he's meeting with Barbara Brocolli, so it must be concluded that he is a candidate to be the next Bond. No way he could be meeting with her because he is currently in a film she is producing. Sheesh :s

OK, back to business. This idea that Hiddelston isn't physical enough because he beat up on a short guy is kind of ludacris.The fight scene with the short and stocky Corky in Night Manager was not real, it was a movie fight. It was realistically awkward, took place in the dark and wasn't photographed very well IMO; it did end in a very real, incredibly brutal way. IMO, with the proper training, choreography and cinematography, even though Hiddelston to my knowledge has never been an MI6 agent, martial arts expert, MMA Fighter, or SAS Commando in real life the creative team behind the action in the Bond films will be able to make him fight like James Bond on the screen. Ironically, my issue with Hiddelston's physical presence has more to do with the way he carries himself ala Connery and Craig.

Well a few reputable sites are reporting it.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    eric7064 wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    eric7064 wrote:

Well a few reputable sites are reporting it.

I agree. This one is surely silly season nonsense. This will only stop when we get some official statement or announcement.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    eric7064 wrote:

ludacrismeme.jpg

;)

Seriously, though, Bell bears a passing resemblance to Craig. Bulked up, he might project a similar image onscreen.
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    6-Days-still-3.jpg

We will see how he does as a military hard man when 6 Days is released , but he is really too small and lightweight for Bond.
    We were promised some sort of official announcement a couple of weeks ago "within a couple of days" - and nothing happened.

I'll just make an official announcement instead then - this seems to be my 1,000th post! -{
    Jag wrote:
    We were promised some sort of official announcement a couple of weeks ago "within a couple of days" - and nothing happened.

I don't think we were...I did report that a local(ish) radio station said they were expecting an announcement "in a couple of days"...obviously unfounded...but the report did come from a TV journalist...
    YNWA 97
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    By the way, apologies if this has been mentioned before, but Hiddleston's Pine does order a vodka martini in The Night Manager.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Jag wrote:

I don't think we were...I did report that a local(ish) radio station said they were expecting an announcement "in a couple of days"...obviously unfounded...but the report did come from a TV journalist...

I heard this from a few independent sources, looks like they may all have heard the same rumour.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    TH was on the Chris Evans show this morning, I have to say he does come across really well, very funny and charming, he was presenting a young writers award and Evans did ask if he'd been reading any Fleming novels recently, tom was stoney silent.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    It's the cover I use ! ;)
    I knew it!!! :))
    Jag wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Jag wrote:

I heard this from a few independent sources, looks like they may all have heard the same rumour.

Good...at least I wasn't alone in hearing that then :D
    YNWA 97
    Chriscoop wrote:
    TH was on the Chris Evans show this morning, I have to say he does come across really well, very funny and charming, he was presenting a young writers award and Evans did ask if he'd been reading any Fleming novels recently, tom was stoney silent.

Seems like some 'media types' are in the know as well then ! :D

I bet it will be a relief when Eon finally announce it ! :))
    YNWA 97
This discussion has been closed.