Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    I've always seen Bond as just a job for Daniel Craig. It's a job he's usually given his best, but for him it's not his dream. It's not like it was for Pierce Brosnan, who always wanted to play James Bond. But Daniel Craig did say that if he came back to Bond again it would just be for the money. That would imply that he was doing Bond for reasons other than just a job before.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,334MI6 Agent
    Yet in Everything Or Nothing, Pierce couldn't, in his memory, differentiate any of the films after Goldeneye :))
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    I've always seen Bond as just a job for Daniel Craig. It's a job he's usually given his best, but for him it's not his dream. It's not like it was for Pierce Brosnan, who always wanted to play James Bond. But Daniel Craig did say that if he came back to Bond again it would just be for the money. That would imply that he was doing Bond for reasons other than just a job before.

It seems like there is a split between Bond actors - those who do it as a job, and grow tired of it (Connery and Craig), and then those who see it as a dream fulfilled and quite enjoy it (Moore and Brosnan).
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Oakvale wrote:
    It seems like there is a split between Bond actors - those who do it as a job, and grow tired of it (Connery and Craig), and then those who see it as a dream fulfilled and quite enjoy it (Moore and Brosnan).

I wonder how the two most rumored to be the next Bond would feel about it? Hiddleston is a bigger name at this time than either Connery or Craig was before Bond. I can't quite get a handle on Turner's place on the star spectrum. I know he's a much bigger name in Great Britain than the US primarily through the Poldark television series. I would think that despite his success on television it would be a bigger career break for Turner. Hiddleston, who is part of the Marvel films and has a big role in the new Kong film seems to be much further along in his theatrical film career and has a decent chance at stardom without Bond.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,334MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I wonder how the two most rumored to be the next Bond would feel about it? Hiddleston is a bigger name at this time than either Connery or Craig was before Bond. I can't quite get a handle on Turner's place on the star spectrum. I know he's a much bigger name in Great Britain than the US primarily through the Poldark television series. I would think that despite his success on television it would be a bigger career break for Turner. Hiddleston, who is part of the Marvel films and has a big role in the new Kong film seems to be much further along in his theatrical film career and has a decent chance at stardom without Bond.

Hiddleston is a HUGE Bond fan. There were reports of him during shooting of SKULL ISLAND going to see SPECTRE and excitedly humming the Bond theme in his seat. He might be the first dyed-in-the-wool Bond fanboy to play Bond.
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

Hiddleston is a HUGE Bond fan. There were reports of him during shooting of SKULL ISLAND going to see SPECTRE and excitedly humming the Bond theme in his seat. He might be the first dyed-in-the-wool Bond fanboy to play Bond.

I'm sure he'll get tired of it at some point. Any actor would given how Bond film shooting times are like.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    What I've read suggests that Moore got tired of playing Bond after FYEO (Moore No. 5) but came back twice more because Cubby Broccoli kept offering more and more money.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

I think th could get pretty close to literary bond......given half a chance and a decent story to work with.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    edited September 2016
    It is realistic to think that any Bond actor, no matter how dedicated to or as much they may love playing Bond or covetted the role will tire of it eventually. Whether it's the physical toll, boredom, more freedom to pursue other roles, etc.

Ironically, I think Moore when he took on the role was: a) very realistic about his own talent level and career at the time and knew that Bond would be the very pinnacle and he was gonna ride that horse until it dropped and b) despite starting in his 40's, Moore (unless someone can dispute this) had better physical longevity because he did significantly less stuntwork himself and didn't take the physical beating that other Bond actors did, especially Craig.

With regards to Tom Hiddleston, the fact that he really wants to be Bond (well portray Bond) and is a true fanboy doesn't guarantee that he'll be a great Bond.....but it certainly doesn't hurt. One thing that Craig did as Bond is set the bar high for properly prepping for the role, physically and mentally. I think EON and whoever is next is well aware of this also so I don't believe we will ever see a Bond who is not in tip top shape or a physical specimen or who doesn't look convincing using a firearm or his fists.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Yeah, for Craig I can understand that perhaps now he's gotten over being James Bond since he's been Bond for over 10 years now, most things will get boring after awhile, even being Bond I assume.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    It is realistic to think that any Bond actor, no matter how dedicated to or as much they may love playing Bond or covetted the role will tire of it eventually. Whether it's the physical toll, boredom, more freedom to pursue other roles, etc.

Ironically, I think Moore when he took on the role was: a) very realistic about his own talent level and career at the time and knew that Bond would be the very pinnacle and he was gonna ride that horse until it dropped and b) despite starting in his 40's, Moore (unless someone can dispute this) had better physical longevity because he did significantly less stuntwork himself and didn't take the physical beating that other Bond actors did, especially Craig.

With regards to Tom Hiddleston, the fact that he really wants to be Bond (well portray Bond) and is a true fanboy doesn't guarantee that he'll be a great Bond.....but it certainly doesn't hurt. One thing that Craig did as Bond is set the bar high for properly prepping for the role, physically and mentally. I think EON and whoever is next is well aware of this also so I don't believe we will ever see a Bond who is not in tip top shape or a physical specimen or who doesn't look convincing using a firearm or his fists.

+1.
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    What I've read suggests that Moore got tired of playing Bond after FYEO (Moore No. 5) but came back twice more because Cubby Broccoli kept offering more and more money.

Yes I have heard Roger say in interviews in recent years that he always enjoyed pay day. He has also joked that nobody else would come as cheap as him. :)
    welshguy34 wrote:
    Gala Brand wrote:

Yes I have heard Roger say in interviews in recent years that he always enjoyed pay day. He has also joked that nobody else would come as cheap as him. :)

Roger is a very grounded and self-aware individual. He always worn his fame well and to good purpose for the less fortunate.
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    When we look at how Spectre ended I become more convinced that it is the end of DC's run.

All the previous villains are tied up together as being linked to Spectre, Blofeld appears and is captured, and Bond leaves the service with Madeline. There can be no sensible follow on other than an OHMSS based revenge style story.

A new Bond and probably a reboot is probably the sensible option now. Blocked can then be kept as a character but without the foster brother angle.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,473Chief of Staff
    IanT wrote:
    Blocked can then be kept as a character

There might be obstacles in that direction....
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    Damn autocorrect it was supposed to be Blofeld
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,473Chief of Staff
    :D
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    IanT wrote:
    Damn autocorrect it was supposed to be Blofeld

We guessed.it happens to all of us :)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    IanT wrote:
    When we look at how Spectre ended I become more convinced that it is the end of DC's run.

All the previous villains are tied up together as being linked to Spectre, Blofeld appears and is captured, and Bond leaves the service with Madeline. There can be no sensible follow on other than an OHMSS based revenge style story.

A new Bond and probably a reboot is probably the sensible option now. Blocked can then be kept as a character but without the foster brother angle.
    Exactly this, I don't really see the point in Craig returning.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    edited September 2016
    Hard to say how they will handle a new actor in the new script. I don't expect a reboot just because Craig left. They didn't have to do it when any of the other actors took over and it didn't seem to bother anyone. Yes they brought in Judy Dench and new HQ staff actors but audiences seemed to accept it as part of keeping the series fresh and continuing. Though doing the big reboot with Craig showing 007's beginning and tying up all his films with the last one (though I really wish they had not used that "Blofeld behind everything" storyline) was a larger change, I believe they will just have a new story and may not even reference SP since it was the previous film. They've mention Tracy's death in succeeding films with the other actors but that was only after a number of years passed. Somehow with a new actor I can't see them mentioning Madeleine or Blofeld because it would have people immediately thinking of Craig and seem a bit strange - it would to me anyway. No, they'll probably make a clean sweep of Craig's storyline into the DVD vault and not even acknowledge it in the next film. In the one following it they may mention Bond's history in passing (his dead parents or Skyfall) but if that is three or more years from now I don't think it would be a problem. My issue is the HQ building. By blowing it up they've totally seperated the series from contemporary reality, so it seems that they will never be able to again acknowledge it still exists, so It should be interesting to see what exterior establishing shots for a new MI6 they're planning to use. They showed Craig standing on the roof of the building M's office is supposed to be in SF, but that's it. In fact, that whole scenario is a bit confusing to me. Is the bulk of the new HQ supposed to remain underground while M's office is in the seperate building? I thought the underground facility was only temporary until they found new above ground digs.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    I dont think a reboot is necessary either - different actor will be sufficient like the good ol days!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I dont think a reboot is necessary either - different actor will be sufficient like the good ol days!
    I agree, don't need a reboot. Just give the new actor a good reveal.
    With a new Bond I think it best to let sleeping dogs lie for a bit with Blofeld. They can always bring him back in Bond 26 or 27 or just move on.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    The smart play is to film the next two at the same time and release them apart, with Craig as Bond and Waltz as Blofeld. But they take so long to make the films -- and I still don't know why because they never seem as developed or epic as the 60s ones -- that too many details get mixed up. It's amazing what an arduous process it is to make a relatively pedestrian product. That may be a big reason why Craig is so ready to leave. So if they could speed the production process up, perhaps he would stay instead.
  • MarcAngeDracoMarcAngeDraco Piz GloriaPosts: 564MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    The smart play is to film the next two at the same time and release them apart, with Craig as Bond and Waltz as Blofeld. But they take so long to make the films -- and I still don't know why because they never seem as developed or epic as the 60s ones -- that too many details get mixed up. It's amazing what an arduous process it is to make a relatively pedestrian product. That may be a big reason why Craig is so ready to leave. So if they could speed the production process up, perhaps he would stay instead.

They had novels to adapt against the backdrop of the Cold War, so they didn't have to think about a potential threat, and then develop it and flesh it out. Hence why they came out quicker.

And no, the smart move is to move on from Craig and Waltz's Blofeld. It's disappointing to lose such a talent in Waltz, but we can thank the film makers behind SPECTRE for that, for shoehorning in a ludicrous personal connection between Bond and Blofeld.
    Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:

They had novels to adapt against the backdrop of the Cold War, so they didn't have to think about a potential threat, and then develop it and flesh it out. Hence why they came out quicker.

And no, the smart move is to move on from Craig and Waltz's Blofeld. It's disappointing to lose such a talent in Waltz, but we can thank the film makers behind SPECTRE for that, for shoehorning in a ludicrous personal connection between Bond and Blofeld.

I could not agree more...
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:

Rod Serling personally turned out 92 of 156 Twilight Zone episodes, all while hosting the show and overseeing its production. The Man from UNCLE, The Avengers, The Wild, Wild West, and other spy craze television shows were produced weekly, and they are still watched today. When they've been reimagined with bigger budgets and more time, they've been disasters. It's talent, not time, and the inclination to be expeditious that turns out a quality product.

The Bond productions are bloated and top heavy. They trudge along at a leisurely pace, retread concepts done before, and still end up pretty underwhelming in most cases. Lots of people get rich off of them, so they're in no hurry to get off the gravy train. Because Bond is a brand, they're pretty much guaranteed to be a success no matter how dodgy the final product is -- it's just a question of how successful they will be.

Moving on from Craig and Waltz won't change that. Right now, the series at least can say it attracts better talent than any other era except the 60s, and rounding out Craig's tenure with two films would allow for both a cash grab and a chance to cap the best critically and popularly acclaimed era since the 60s. Starting all over would be starting all over. Not very smart at all. From what I can see, Craig's problem is not the character but the cumbersome, drawn-out productions. I'm with him on that.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    IanT wrote:

Exactly this, I don't really see the point in Craig returning.

I disagree. Blofeld can escape or another villan can be .... eh ..... the villan. Bond has left the service and returned before, so that's no problem. Madeline was the first Bond girl to still be around at the end of a Craig Bond movie - it's not like he married her.
    The way I see it the end of SPECTRE ending was made in such a way that Craig could leave elegantly if he wants to, but there is plenty of ways for him to continue.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    If Blofeld did come back with Craig (or without), they could easily just ignore that he's Bond's brother. He could escape, do criminal activity with better motivations than silly revenge, and Bond could stop him just as he would stop any other villain. Or they could have the villain win yet again.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    From what I can see, Craig's problem is not the character but the cumbersome, drawn-out productions. I'm with him on that.

I agree. The elaborate action pieces are the reason it takes so long to film the modern Bond movies. That's also why the films cost so much money to make. That's also why the roll has taken such a physical toll on Craig. If they really want him back, they should limit the action pieces and set the film up more as a character-driven thriller. That would also cut costs and increase profit. But there's no chance of that happening because EON is convinced that fans of the series demand big explosions and outrageous set pieces.
This discussion has been closed.