Bond 25 Director

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    Please include a link the next time you make claims about what has or hasn't been said.

I am going to remain polite here. The article I read was the same one you posted the link for.
    As has been said previously, you seem to interpret and twist things to fit and support your view point...which you are
    certainly within your rights to do.
    We have survived the Craig is Not Bond crew here, the "Bond 25 is doomed" movement
    is warm and fuzzy compared to that. -{
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I haven't really followed all this so may have missed important points. In essence though whilst not 'doomed' I do feel sufficient cause for concern re 25. I'm always nervous when a contrary or unpopular viewpoint gets demonised and made a faction. It smacks of a binary ideology where you are either with us or against us. AJB is a broad Church and rudeness and hostility are properly called out and challenged and rightly so.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    Someone will you actually go and see this movie when it is finally released?
    or is this the fun part for you, all this conspiracy-theorising and panic-mongering?
    I'm picturing you munching popcorn and cheering at the screen and booing the villains as you write this stuff, but the actual movie, not so much...

You really are making me nostalgic for the pre-Internet age where we just got on with our lives and were pleasantly surprised when a new movie suddenly arrived at our neighbourhood theatre.

I'll be one of the very first, I can assure you of that.
    Someone wrote:
    Please include a link the next time you make claims about what has or hasn't been said.

And after I go back and provide you with links what then, screenshots?

Please stop saying I am making claims. You asked for evidence of what I said I had read about in the media, and I took time out of my day to do that for you with multiple direct quotes.

Please Someone, let’s have a constructive discussion. This constant aggressiveness is unnecessary.

Links please.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    The director has been in place for a long time now. People panicking about a rushed schedule shouldn’t worry.

Hooray!

Thanks Asp9mm, I'm looking forward to the May/June announcement. ;-)

Mendes! Mendes! Mendes!
    zaphod99 wrote:
    I'm always nervous when a contrary or unpopular viewpoint gets demonised and made a faction. It smacks of a binary ideology where you are either with us or against us.

Hear, hear!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I think EON wants to avoid all the leaks that happened with SPECTRE. This time they will try to control information about Bond25 as much as possible.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    +1, I think they're being super tip top
    Secret this time :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent

I think you are right. They won't or need not fret too much about a few obsessive over anxious Bond heads fretting. I keep oscillating between faith and panic. What I am sure of is that It will happen, and release date will be met. I'm also hoping that time pressures may force ingenuity and tight focus and produce a much better film. Sometime lack of news hits harder. It's really all driven by wanting it to be a really good one. Much as Daniel will never be 'my Bond' he has been terrific for the franchise and deserves a top notch final outing.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

"Super Tip Top Secret" (STTS) is two levels of secrecy above Top Secret. Only Theresa May, Boris Johnson and Barbara Broccoli are allowed to read STTP documents, and only with one eye closed. "For your eye only". Any other persons handling STTP documents have to wear a blindfold at all times, including couriers and the person actually writing the papers.
  • Marketto007Marketto007 BrazilPosts: 237MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I think EON wants to avoid all the leaks that happened with SPECTRE. This time they will try to control information about Bond25 as much as possible.

That's exactly what's happening.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

"Super Tip Top Secret" (STTS) is two levels of secrecy above Top Secret. Only Theresa May, Boris Johnson and Barbara Broccoli are allowed to read STTP documents, and only with one eye closed. "For your eye only". Any other persons handling STTP documents have to wear a blindfold at all times, including couriers and the person actually writing the papers.

In tbe case of the Prime Minister it will be to give permission for filming access to sensitive places. Possibly permission to mention her in the script too. In the case of Johnson, to keep him away from filming locations!
    After the Spectre leaks, security will be tighter than the seal on a bottle of Jamesons.

I can only hope Martin Campbell comes back. Mendes is overrated. Bond is Film, not Theatre. 8-)
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    What the Boyle, Hodges script would be good for is to rapidly bring in a new Bond and don't have a four or five year gap between Daniel Craig and, say, Tom Brittany. A successful Bond25 could be followed with a November 2021 Bond26, directed by Boyle with Hodges script and Brittany as Bond. I admit this is slightly off topic for this thread.
    Paul Bettany will be nearly fifty years old when Bond26 becomes an issue, but you have a point. I believe the Purvis & Wade plot for Bond25 is a "sequel" to SPECTRE and the Boyle/Hodges plot isn't. If both story ideas are good it would save time to use the Boyle/Hodges story for Bond26.
    Someone wrote:
    What the Boyle, Hodges script would be good for is to rapidly bring in a new Bond and don't have a four or five year gap between Daniel Craig and, say, Tom Brittany. A successful Bond25 could be followed with a November 2021 Bond26, directed by Boyle with Hodges script and Brittany as Bond. I admit this is slightly off topic for this thread.
    Number24 wrote:
    Paul Bettany will be nearly fifty years old when Bond26 becomes an issue, but you have a point. I believe the Purvis & Wade plot for Bond25 is a "sequel" to SPECTRE and the Boyle/Hodges plot isn't. If both story ideas are good it would save time to use the Boyle/Hodges story for Bond26.

Interesting to say the least. I'll throw my two cents in.

- History tells us that (while it may seem to be a good idea to us) Bond 26, with a new Bond will be a three or more
    likely four year wait after 25....although the 2035 expiration to EON's exclusive film rights may give EON a bit more urgency to
    begin the next Bond actor era.

- Assuming P&W's script is a sequel to SPECTRE there truly is logic to doing that as Bond 25 and saving Boyle/Hodge for Bond 26.
    That being said, these are some things to consider:

- Hodge/Boyle's Bond script, while not being a direct sequel to SPECTRE may be written/tailored specifically for Daniel Craig's
    portrayal of Bond .
    - Boyle might only be interested in directing a Bond film with Craig as Bond.
    - And of course maybe the biggest wild card: EON et al might not have been overly thrilled with the P&W script and were more than
    likely going to have re-writes and polishes done and were apparently quite taken with whatever Hodges and Boyle had brought to
    the table. Just my thoughts and more fodder for discussion.
    I too suspect the P&W script is unimpressive since EON is willing to abandon (at least for now) their "in-house" script writers. In fact I think you make several good point in your post.

I also suspect the P&W script is very predictable, essentially modernizing the OHMSS plot. That's not something I want to see. First of all the original was pretty much flawless. Second, Craig's Bond has already lost the love of his life, become a colder man and avenged her. I don't want to see that again.
    I'm much more interested in what Boyle and Hodges have to offer.
    I know we are kind of getting off track here but I just wanted to comment on the concept of an OHMSS based film.
    I respect that the idea of an OHMSS remake is considered blasphemy to many but to me it was a missed opportunity during the Craig era but only if it was done the right way with good writers adapting Fleming's book. It could have been followed by a more faithful screen adaptation of YOLT as a perfect ending to Craig's tenure as Bond. I may have even changed the YOLT title to The Garden of Death to avoid the remake stigma to an extent, especially since the original was a Connery film. OHMSS is such a great title I couldn't see changing it...plus the film among non-Bond aficionados is kind of an outlier as Lazenby's only Bond film. I guess a lot of this is just baggage I carry from my youth. I am old enough to have seen the Connery Bond films in the 60's in theaters and to me Connery was Bond and Lazenby was a mannequin trying to be Bond (which is really unfair to Lazenby who was great in the action scenes and better than he should of in the drama). I just think OHMSS with Craig could have been incredible....it would have been perfect for him, especially if they cast the actress as Tracy and the right actor as Blofeld.
    Number24 wrote:

LOL!
    TOM BRITTNEY not Paul Bettany...
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5938631/
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,326Chief of Staff
    If I'm understanding you correctly, HowardB, you're saying that a new version of OHMSS with Craig would legitimise the story in roughly the same way that CR06 legitimised the earlier version(s) of that story?
    Someone wrote:
    LOL!

Anyone born in a town named "Gravesend" has gotta be right for Bond. -{
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    "Saving" Boyle's script for Bond 26 is the kind of tidy housekeeping that only continuity-obsessed fans are interested in. It's s odd to think Craig should be forced to end on a direct sequel to a film that he's actively trying to distance his legacy from :))

Boyle is only there because of Craig and there's good reason to think Craig is there because of Boyle. I'm excited at the possibilities of this "completely different" Bond they've teased.
    Barbel wrote:
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that a new version of OHMSS with Craig would legitimise the story in roughly the same way that CR06 legitimised the earlier version(s) of that story?

As I have said, it's kind of personal with me. As an adult, I have come to appreciate OHMSS. I wouldn't put it even remotely in the category of the '67 "version" of CR....that would be an absolute insult and totally inappropriate. IMO, OHMSS is a good Bond film that
    could be remade into an incredible Bond film with Craig as Bond and especially if followed by a faithful adaptation of the YOLT novel.
    I can understand anyone who would disagree. Also, to be clear, my point also is that this remake of OHMSS would have been instead of SPECTRE. It's just something that has an appeal to me.
    I agree, and definitely wouldn't compare OHMSS (a great Bond film) with CR67 (a travesty), which is why I said "roughly".
    Someone wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

LOL!
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5938631/

Whadda mistake-a to make-a! :))

I've never heard of him before, but I've seen far worse candidates.
    It would be fantastic if they had made a version of YOLT after CR instead of QoS. Avoid the space stuff and Bond in Japanese disguise, use the Garden of Death instead.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Still hoping The Garden Of Death is used for the next one.

If it's not, then I will be hoping that after B25 Nolan takes on a "Blofeld trilogy" with a new Bond (not Tom Hardy though), and The Garden Of Death is used as the third one. New titles for all 3 films too, I hate the thought of them re-using old titles. "The Garden Of Death" as a title would be excellent, and one I myself keep saying they should use.

Basically, The Garden Of Death needs to be filmed, it's a truly unique idea in the bond universe, extremely interesting, could be very visual and provide great sets, and is extremely memorable and not samey like many bond films can be. Why on earth has it not been filmed yet?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    I've wanted the start of TMWTGG to be used. Bond shouldn't be the one with amnesia, that would look like they're copying Bourne. In the PTS Bond saves a 00-agent who's been a captive of SPECTRE for a long time. Later in the movie the 00-agent tries to kill M, but M and Moneypenny stop him. This will be perfect since both M and Moneypenny are ex-agents.
    Number24 wrote:
    I've wanted the start of TMWTGG to be used. Bond shouldn't be the one with amnesia, that would look like they're copying Bourne. In the PTS Bond saves a 00-agent who's been a captive of SPECTRE for a long time. Later in the movie the 00-agent tries to kill M, but M and Moneypenny stop him. This will be perfect since both M and Moneypenny are ex-agents.

And this agent is called Philip Margesson, just to tie up a loose end.
    Barbel wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

And this agent is called Philip Margesson, just to tie up a loose end.

That would be a nice touch, yes (and I didn't have to Google that name. No sir!)
    {[] Well done, I'm impressed.