Bond 25 Director

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    She did have special powers in the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Maybe
    some of them have stuck ? ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Jarvio wrote:
    Still hoping The Garden Of Death is used for the next one.

If it's not, then I will be hoping that after B25 Nolan takes on a "Blofeld trilogy" with a new Bond (not Tom Hardy though), and The Garden Of Death is used as the third one. New titles for all 3 films too, I hate the thought of them re-using old titles. "The Garden Of Death" as a title would be excellent, and one I myself keep saying they should use.

Basically, The Garden Of Death needs to be filmed, it's a truly unique idea in the bond universe, extremely interesting, could be very visual and provide great sets, and is extremely memorable and not samey like many bond films can be. Why on earth has it not been filmed yet?

As I've often opined, I like The Death Collector as a title as well :007)

I'm hopeful about Danny Boyle getting the nod. He's a solid filmmaker, IMHO.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    edited March 2018
    HowardB wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    There is a short interview with Naomie Harris in the latest issue of Total Film...She replies: "I'd love it if Danny Boyle would. He's extraordinary. I think he would have an amazing twist. I'd love it if Sam Mendes came back as well. But Yeah, who knows?"

A bit of foreshadowing. I'm going to give a bit of credit to "Someone" here.

Danke!

I recognise it is weird that an Oscar winning director would throw their hat in the ring, if another Oscar winning director is already on-board. But, in Hollywood directors come and go from projects all the time, they even get fired (Han Solo) midway through.

I give all the credit to Asp9mm. He has been strangely prescient about previous Bond films, for example saying that Spectre would connect all the previous DC films together before anyone could have possibly known that and then more recently he mischievously asked how people would feel if Mendes came back for B25 and then the other week, when things got a bit heated on this board, he said a director has been attached for some time and people should chill about a Quantum type situation happening.

Mendes' return would make sense because the studios like billion dollar and $880 million movie revenues and I also think having Bond in a long-term (for Bond) relationship and not in MI6, but Spectre still 'out there' gives you a greater flexibility for the possible story and I think that would appeal to Mendes. Revolutionary Road meets OHMSS?

However.

If you watch the embedded video from early 2017 in this radio station's webpage;
    http://wmgk.com/2018/02/21/rumored-james-bond-25-director-lie-debella-show/

Boyle is promoting Trainspotting 2 and at 10 minutes 36 seconds, he is asked about Bond25 and he says, "I think Sam's going to do it, isn't he? Sam Mendes is going to do it, I would think."

So, the question is, has Boyle let the cat out of the bag, or is he deflecting possible attention away from himself (despite the interviewer's preamble saying he'd heard Boyle would not do B25) and it's just easy to refer to Mendes as he did the last two.

At that point, early 2017, Purvis & Wade were not even officially writing the B25 script. But, was the P&W script actually for Boyle? But, DC didn't like it, so they got Hodges in?

But, then again, if Boyle had been on-board for so long, why not just announce him?

Just to be extra conspiratorial, watch Lea Seydoux's reaction to the question, would she return for Bond25 at 3 mins 10 seconds.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=5CmenJ8acg8

And again here at 4 mins 50 seconds.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3KAPj5pWbc

Looking back at what rumours, news occurred in March/April before Spectre, casting rumours were bouncing around and Fiennes had said when filming would start. This time, the central cast don't seem to know what is going on. Weird.

BTW it was in April 2011 that Sony was confirmed as distributor. Is April a good month because they want to start negotiating the cross-marketing agreements, by which I mean those Coke Zero, Heineken type of adverts. Time soon for the international distributor announcement?
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    Boyle is doing it. There's no way he would say that he and his collaborator Hodge are working on a script just as a feint for Mendes. There will be an appropriate time I imagine to officially announce it but at best EON are waiting to see how the script pans out before saying all in with Boyle.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I just knew "Someone" would be back after the Harris quote. As usual, interpreting everything to support his theory. Couple things, just for the sake of argument. I am guessing that Boyle has always been on EON's radar screen as a prospective Bond director....hell, he directed the short film for the Olympics. But I don't think the Bond 25 P&W script was written with Boyle specifically in mind as director.
    Again, just guessing here, but it is possible that EON reached out to Boyle about directing and Boyle may have said l'll only do it if we can come up with a new idea/better script and went to work with Hodge or it is also possible that Boyle, who had earlier dismissed the idea of directing a Bond film had an epiphany with Hodge about an idea for a Bond script that he really felt passionate about, ran it by EON, et al and they said run with it, you are our guy. We have to understand that these are gifted, creative people....Hodge and Boyle have a history of working very well together. When brilliant and creative minds get on a roll, they can be capable of producing
    outstanding material pretty quickly. Just my thoughts.
    HowardB wrote:
    I just knew "Someone" would be back after the Harris quote. As usual, interpreting everything to support his theory. Couple things, just for the sake of argument. I am guessing that Boyle has always been on EON's radar screen as a prospective Bond director....hell, he directed the short film for the Olympics. But I don't think the Bond 25 P&W script was written with Boyle specifically in mind as director.
    Again, just guessing here, but it is possible that EON reached out to Boyle about directing and Boyle may have said l'll only do it if we can come up with a new idea/better script and went to work with Hodge or it is also possible that Boyle, who had earlier dismissed the idea of directing a Bond film had an epiphany with Hodge about an idea for a Bond script that he really felt passionate about, ran it by EON, et al and they said run with it, you are our guy. We have to understand that these are gifted, creative people....Hodge and Boyle have a history of working very well together. When brilliant and creative minds get on a roll, they can be capable of producing
    outstanding material pretty quickly. Just my thoughts.

How do you know I'm a he?

:)) :p :D ;) -{
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Well, someone has to be male :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,326Chief of Staff
    AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

Oh, sorry, male...
    https://youtu.be/8JigBfoDtzY. I like being a girl ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    "Those were the days when spirits were brave, stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri."

- Douglas Adams
    Have no idea what gender, species, etc "Someone" is. My apologies. If you want to clue us in, that's fine. Anonymity is fine also. I will try to remain gender, species neutral if there are any further references. :)
    Cousin It ? :D should cover all eventualities ;)
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Have no idea what gender, species, etc "Someone" is. My apologies. If you want to clue us in, that's fine. Anonymity is fine also. I will try to remain gender, species neutral if there are any further references. :)

I suspect TP of being a girl really. That butch avatar pic is fooling nobody :)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

I suspect TP of being a girl really. That butch avatar pic is fooling nobody :)

The Swedes (who else?) have invented a new pronoun in the name of political correctness. "Hon" (her) and "han" (him) is gender specific, so now they have the new option of "hen". So inventing a new pronoun or call people "hen". :D
    In 2018 there are 112 different genders.
    https://www.quora.com/How-many-genders-are-there-in-2018
    .... so at least we know that the next director will be from
    One of those groups. ;)
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    In 2018 there are 112 different genders.
    https://www.quora.com/How-many-genders-are-there-in-2018
    .... so at least we know that the next director will be from
    One of those groups. ;)

So there’s hope for Lee Tamahori yet
    Marc Forster was announced on 19 June 2007.

On the entirely unscientific basis that that date is a likely latest possible date for the Bond25 director announcement, at some point in the next 78 DAYS a director will be formerly announced by EON/MGM, one hopes, by 19 June 2018.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:

On the entirely unscientific basis that that date is a likely latest possible date for the Bond25 director announcement, at some point in the next 78 DAYS a director will be formerly announced by EON/MGM, one hopes, by 19 June 2018.

And QOS turned out to be a certifiable mess, so, you know, there's that.
    Someone wrote:

Given the recent quotes by Danny Boyle, it's all a bit absurd. But at this point, June 19th would almost seem reasonable. I guess they want to have a press conference and announce everything at once: director, principle cast/crew members, the new distributor and of course the actual title of the film.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Someone wrote:

And QOS turned out to be a certifiable mess, so, you know, there's that.

Did it? 8-)
    Seemed to take a shed load of cash so obviously plenty of people liked it.
    YNWA 97
    QOS made a tidy sum at the box office, not to mention pay/cable TV fees and DVD sales. IMO, it's a flawed film and a disappointment compared to CR but it has some great moments. I may be in the minority here but I love the PTS car chase (far superior to the car chase in SPECTRE) and the opera scene is great.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    QOS made a tidy sum at the box office, not to mention pay/cable TV fees and DVD sales. IMO, it's a flawed film and a disappointment compared to CR but it has some great moments. I may be in the minority here but I love the PTS car chase (far superior to the car chase in SPECTRE) and the opera scene is great.

I feel the same way: flawed, but better than its reputation. The chase across the rooftops of Sienna and the fight in the bell tower are among my favorite action scenes in the franchise.
    We all know the problems it had in production
    With the writers strike etc but it has some great
    Moments in it, and I once hated it. :)) ..... just
    Don't ask me about the theme song ;)
    It's not quite DAD bad, but the theme song is bad.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,326Chief of Staff
    AA_OLD_MAN_3.png
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Barbel wrote:
    AA_OLD_MAN_3.png

Wise....very wise :v

:D
    YNWA 97
    HowardB wrote:
    Given the recent quotes by Danny Boyle, it's all a bit absurd. But at this point, June 19th would almost seem reasonable. I guess they want to have a press conference and announce everything at once: director, principle cast/crew members, the new distributor and of course the actual title of the film.

Yeesh, we could be looking at a lot longer wait if all that is being announced at once. Skyfall had a 3 November 2011 press conference announcing the title and cast and Spectre had a 4 December 2014 press conference announcing the title and cast.

I think the practical realities of hiring actors and crew will mean something earlier than the fourth quarter, even if its Boyle-as-director-like 'rumours' in the trade papers. Lea Seydoux has said her first audition was in early August and the director would need to be part of the casts' auditioning process.

Things would probably start leaking as soon as they start talking to actors and scouting locations and selecting senior production staff like the director of photography. Spectre's locations leaked in July 2014.
    Someone wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

Yeesh, we could be looking at a lot longer wait if all that is being announced at once. Skyfall had a 3 November 2011 press conference announcing the title and cast and Spectre had a 4 December 2014 press conference announcing the title and cast.

I think the practical realities of hiring actors and crew will mean something earlier than the fourth quarter, even if its Boyle-as-director-like 'rumours' in the trade papers. Lea Seydoux has said her first audition was in early August and the director would need to be part of the casts' auditioning process.

Things would probably start leaking as soon as they start talking to actors and scouting locations and selecting senior production staff like the director of photography. Spectre's locations leaked in July 2014.

The key word here is "leaks". I am guessing that EON is keeping things very close to the vest this time around because of what happened with SPECTRE and the Sony hacks. With the release date they have, one would have to believe that more is happening than EON is letting on. While I disagree that the Boyle news was a "feint" I do believe that Boyle's pronouncement was calculated and made with EON's full knowledge as it would be considered very positive news by most considering Boyle's reputation and Oscar pedigree and they were do to put something good out there especially when the tabs were just recently playing up the "Daniel Craig appears bloated" angle recently.
    I agree with HowardB
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

Those two scenes and the roof top fight scene are good. And the fight in Haiti. And the ending, which recalled some of the CR vibe (if also a let-down). But then there's the remaining sixty-five minutes. The treatment of Fields was atrocious. At least the writers (whoever they were) could've introduced Fields earlier at MI6 HQ while M is going on and on. Have Bond exchange looks, flirt a little. No more than twenty seconds. As it is, she's brought for no other reason than to be killed and her death is meaningless because she means nothing to Bond or the audience. The handling of Mathis's death was also atrocious. Throw him in a dumpster? And who thought that anybody could live after jumping out a plane traveling maybe 120 MPH from a height of several thousand feet (they fall for thirty seconds) and live when the parachute doesn't open until about ten feet off the ground? And walk away unscathed? Camille was a dull and pointless character. The plot was incomprehensible and Forster tried to jazz up the proceedings with a lot of shaky cam. There was a potentially interesting theme centering around loyalty but it was never explored.

But Bond's suits were the best of the Craig era.