The "Ask Higgins questions about the EU" Thread

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

At times, gymn buildings have been occupied, containers be built all over the country, tent village risen. We could have said - "sorry no infrastructure here", but fortunately we haven't

Thats very generous - however what is the long term plan? These are obviously temporary solutions
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    The migrants must have been show pictures of the islands, and went " F*ck that ! " :p :D
    I think wearing tom ford clothing is a must on the Falklands, most immigrants can't afford £600 for a polo shirt :D
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The migrants must have been show pictures of the islands, and went " F*ck that ! " :p :D

They prob would!! :))

Cold weather with crazy wind, 2 supermarkets in the whole country, expensive slow telecommunications (all satellite), 2 restaurants in the whole country, 1 hotel, 1 bank, 5 pubs, £2K for a ticket out of here :D

Lots of immigrants here from South America now working (big money for them compared to their own countries) - a lot of them hate it so much here due to the weather and lack of things to do socially - they do a year and never return as its such a culture shock.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I think wearing tom ford clothing is a must on the Falklands, most immigrants can't afford £600 for a polo shirt :D

If you want to envisage the local fashion then watch Emmerdale (wellie boots, wooly hats etc) :D
    edited July 2016
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

If you want to envisage the local fashion then watch Emmerdale (wellie boots, wooly hats etc) :D
    :)) is that emmerdale 20 years ago? No one there now have to wear wellies as they just sit in there 800K farmhouses counting the noughts on the EU subsidy cheque.

Oh BTW good look for tonight Welshie, I hope bale puts a few in for you.
    Yes, Good luck for tonight. {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Higgins wrote:
    Hello number24,

I took the liberty to twist your questions:
    Number24 wrote:
    If they do, do you think the EU will survive?

If France leaves the EU, the EU is dead!
    There is a strong right-wing nationalist anti-EU movement in France (Front National) which is supported by Russia but all my french friends assure me that a FREXIT won't happen. I do hope that they are right.

Number24 wrote:
    Do you think France, Denmark, the Netherlands and/or Hungary will leave the union after Brexit?

I have hope that 2 things will happen

1. The EU recognizes that they have to substantially regain confidence and the hearts from the european people.
    This particular thread is my attempt for a contribution in that direction.
    I personally want Juncker to resign but don't think that that will happen

2. Seeing how miserably the UK Anti-EU Populists (sorry, Criscoop, I insist - they are Populists!*) failed and ran out of the house which they left burning down should let voters in other countries realize that those are no true alternative to the EU which is still doing much good for the people!

*The UK BREXIT campainers - yes I mean Johnson and Farage - could not have exposed themselfs any better for being Populists :

"Being Against" was everything that they had and still have to offer. Farage took back the 350 million nonsense hours after the result was clear, Johnson ran away like a kid hving stolen some candies and left the entire EU in a massive mess!

If that's not the definition for Populists, what should it be?

In Netherlands a Referendum will not happen, De Wilders just was denied with his claim.
    Not sure about Denmark. Living close by and knowing many Denish people, I can hardly imagine that they will decide to leave if there is a Referendum. Their prices are already ridiculous and they rely on the EU market.

Hungary is a different matter.
    But if we could, I'd kick them out of the EU today rather than tomorrow - so no harm done if they really leave.
    A last word from me on populism as I don't agree it has any role in the UK referendum,
    With absolutely no offence meant, it is fact the nazi party found power of the back of a populist movement, Argentina got Peron on the back of a populist movement. Other successful populism resulted in the French revolution, the Russian revolution and what happened in Cuba.
    There is populism in the UK mainly the British national party and to some degree ukip both struggle to get serious political backing, ukip has profited recently more from cause than effect. If the vote leave was a populist movement then ukip would be getting around 17m votes.
    Interestingly the German republicans, the democratic party of Germany and the German people's union all have toes in the populist pool. As do the American republicans.
    England in particular is historically a conservative nation. It has been said that Labour have not won a general election but the conservatives lost them.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited July 2016
    Well, you judge Populists from their heritage, I define Populists by what they are saying (getting back control), what and how they do (divide and polarise a population with fear and hate) and what they don't ( take responsibility) after they won {[]

And yes, we where falling on populists a while ago and hopefully many of us learnt their lesson :#
    I certainly did {:)

And the whole mess started when the Tories - in particular Cameron got under pressure on the right wing because Farage was taking them away voters. He's obviously fishing in the same pool and many conservative voters seem to fall for that populism.

And now Farrage together with BOJO managed to get a majority for his p....erm course.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    Well, you judge Populists from their heritage, I define Populists by what they are saying (getting back control), what and how they do (divide and polarise a population with fear and hate) and what they don't ( take responsibility) after they won {[]

And yes, we where falling on populists a while ago and hopefully many of us learnt their lesson :#
    I certainly did {:)
    I don't mean to draw comparisons with Germany, a country I have spent time in and enjoy my ex wife's sister in law was German, we had many good insightful conversations. My arguments are against the EU as it is today and no individual country. :)
    Higgins wrote:
    Cameron wanted that workforce and encouraged them to come

welshboy78 wrote:

On a more serious note our politicians did enquire about taking migrants during the height of the crisis, they were knocked back for some reason.

Yep! {[]

Chriscoop wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

:)) is that emmerdale 20 years ago? No one there now have to wear wellies as they just sit in there 800K farmhouses counting the noughts on the EU subsidy cheque.

Oh BTW good look for tonight Welshie, I hope bale puts a few in for you.

Ah of course, its all Range Rovers on Emmerdale now instead of old rusty series 1 land Rovers :D

Yes - I'm off down the boozer in the next hour, have a bad feeling Belgium will rip Wales apart however its been a great campaign regardless and Bale is due a goal {[]
    edited July 2016
    welshboy78 wrote:
    they do a year and never return as its such a culture shock.

....after having a pint with you in the pub and knowing you a bit better :D :D :D

edited July 2016
    :)) We dont have beer on tap down here (im serious)

Bottles or cans! Think booze is our number 1 import too!!
    And that's the best reason not to go there :)) :)) :))

edited July 2016
    welshboy78 wrote:

Blame the EU! They tried to ban the pint here too :D
    Isn't there a naafi down there serving pints?
    Higgins wrote:
    And that's the best reason not to go there :)) :)) :))

No chinese restaurants either!!!! I would say first world problems but some people call this place third world :))
    Chriscoop wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

The NAAFI is about 40 miles away, full of drunk fighting squaddies and not a female in sight!!! :))
    edited July 2016
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

The NAAFI is about 40 miles away, full of drunk fighting squaddies and not a female in sight!!! :))
    :)) sounds about right. I miss the good old days... Breaking up fights between squaddies.. Sigh
    Could you not arrange some scrabble games, videos of Countdown,
    perhaps an evening of whist ? I'm sure the chaps would enjoy that. :))
    Could you not arrange some scrabble games, videos of Countdown,
    perhaps an evening of whist ? I'm sure the chaps would enjoy that. :))
    Jeez tp I think they'd rather play Russian roulette with a double barreled shot gun!
    :)) who wouldn't enjoy an exciting evening, identifying bird calls ?

I had a mate who was in the RAF, came back to our karate club after
    a year, built like a slim Arnie. He said he was stationed " in the middle
    of nowhere" and it was either drink or train. :D
    The decent guys seem to train a lot and enjoy a drink now and then, the nuggets seem to drink a lot and not enjoy training every now and then. :s
    Same here the quality members post sparingly , the nuggets post all the time ! :D oh dear :#
    Same here the quality members post sparingly , the nuggets post all the time ! :D oh dear :#
    Sh*t, that statement rings a hollow bell. {:)
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Yes, but there's gold in them thar nuggets... :007)
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    And as a old plumber friend of mine once while looking down a backed up sewer,
    "it might be sh*t to you son but it's bread and butter to me" :D
    many films in my movie collection start with a plumber calling. :v
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Dear Higgins,
    How can you be so knowledgeable, insightful, and thoughtful on almost EVERY issue, EXCEPT when it comes to negativity to Dalton and positivity to ABS? :o
    :v
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS