The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited May 2019
    Very telling that so many people follow such a blatant opportunist and proven liar just to protest and perceivedly punish the existing system. As if the clowns from the Brexit party would do anything better.

Seems that the memory of many voters is quite short.

I am hearing a lot of ‚they shouldn‘t have allowed the UK to vote“ here in Germany - not only from populists.
    Juncker gave a clear reply on that and it also gives a reply to all critics who bemoan an antidemocratic state of mind inside of the EU. It‘s quite the opposite.

And he also said : ‚running after voters‘ does not make much sense to him, he‘d rather see them face to face.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It's always wrong to ask the people what they want. They should be
    happy with the scraps they're given :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The issue with the UK is that politicians and voters know what they don‘t want.

What they want, they can‘t find a consensus.

And voting for someone, who has no competence in leading the country ( he was not even able to lead his own party) and is only interested in destroying things without any constructive approach ( sounds familiar :v ) is just plain silly.

Given what the Brexit party stands for and its massive lead in
    every poll. I think it clear thet there is a consensus to leave. The
    only people arguing about it are the Remainers/politicians :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Let‘s see if he‘s ready leaving the EU without a deal.

If he‘d do that the history books will not be very kind about him ( and that‘s exactly the reason why the current leaders of the country are hesistent to leave without a deal).

A question to our UK friends:

How are the majorities across the party lines in the recent polls?

Which other parties are pro-EU and which are Anti-EU?

That's fine but stop calling it a Democracy, as the people are taking orders from
    the Political class and not the politicians fullfilling the will of the people. :D
    All political parties are split, they all have remain and leave sides. The
    LibDems are very pro EU, as are The Green party and the Nationalist
    parties in Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,692MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

If he‘d do that the history books will not be very kind about him ( and that‘s exactly the reason why the current leaders of the country are hesistent to leave without a deal).

Higgins:

According to The Times yesterday, leaving without is deal is exactly the policy Farage's new Brexit Party is running on in the European parliamentary elections to be held on 23 May 2019. From poll data the Brexit Party is also projected to win the most seats of all the parties running in the UK.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    If you see and treat your politicians and other experts as servants, you won‘t get better than that.

I‘d rather elect politicians who know better than me, have a spine and an opinion and follow to what they think, is the best for people and country.

Worst thing are politicians that are running after votes and voter just because of that. I call them populists

edited May 2019
    Higgins wrote:

Higgins:

According to The Times yesterday, leaving without is deal is exactly the policy Farage's new Brexit Party is running on in the European parliamentary elections to be held on 23 May 2019. From poll data the Brexit Party is also projected to win the most seats of all the parties running in the UK.

Yes, just like he could not wait to keep his promise with the 325£ million for the NHS :v
    Promising stuff is one thing.
    Staying on board and execute what you have promised is another thing and this has been the case after Farage and gang won the referendum.

He could not have ran fast and far awayenough because he knew best that he could not deliver what he was promising. What a pathetic clown!

:)) I love that old chestnut ..... always brought up and always Ignored by
    voters :)) .... Just like the lie that the result would be respected :))
    The old chestnut, that "Leave the EU" means leaving hard without any kind of deal ONLY?

And the old chestnut, that everything who interpretes the "Leave" vote and tries to embed that into a Deal is undemoctratic and ignoring the vote?

Just like our discussions here, Just a load of old nuts :D
    The fact that Trump, Putin and Steve Bannon actively support and endorse him and his endeavour should raise some eyebrows or start some thought processes by some.....

No need to worry with the soon to be EU army, which will
    Lead to the fall of NATO. The EU is doing Putin's work for
    Him. :D so leave or remain doesn't really matter.
    edited May 2019
    Nonsense.

The EU Army was never a serious topic (besides some scaremongering from the Brexiteers just like the turkish EU membership) until Trump has been starting to question the US support for the european NATO members..

It would be plain stupid not to draw some actions from that and the European Army ( not EU army) will be connected to NATO for sure.

But glad to see some common ground, that Putin is actively doing everything to disrupt Europe and to destroy NATO.
    As Farage is actively supported and endorsed by Putin and always has been, that should get you thinking.

• Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Well one thing is for sure - if the likes of the BBC keep on serving up pathetic hatchet attempts on Farage as per Andrew Marr's efforts earlier today, then his stock will only keep on rising. I don't think I've ever seen such an abysmal 'political' interview from someone who is supposedly a leading journalist / presenter.
    So the EU army isn't going to happen ?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    No need to worry with the soon to be EU army, which will
    Lead to the fall of NATO. The EU is doing Putin's work for
    Him. :D so leave or remain doesn't really matter.

The EU Army isn't really something the EU belives in or has done much to organize. The Europeans know they need NATO (read: USA)against an agressive Russia.
    Higgins wrote:

And he also said : ‚running after voters‘ does not make much sense to him, he‘d rather see them face to face.

A very good line.
    I think that an European Army will happen in some kind but it will be embedded and closely connected to NATO.

Solo-runs like the hope to get better tradedeals outside of a strong Union - we are leaving up to our UK friends :D

It‘s not something that we really wanted, it‘s something that we must do

The fact that you two have said it will never happen, is good enough for me. {[]
    How will this non existing army be paid for given how both France and Germany
    don't pay their full amount in to NATO ? but can find the extra cash for this EU
    army ? :))
    We have said it over 2 years ago.

A lot has happened in the meantime.
    It‘s sometimes wiser to adapt to reality instead of radically sticking to things that have been said in the past in a very different reality.

Nice to know {[] that the next few wars will be delt
    With by the EU .

As said in Star Trek " what does God need with a starship "
    Or " what does a trading group need with an army "

Although As we both agree we're all helping Putin in destroying
    NATO -{ ..... I feel a lot safer knowing the might of the EU will
    Be looking after my interests and safety.
    You keep on ignoring what we have said,
    The European Army will be connected to Nato.

And the EU is not only a Trading Union.

You may remember this: Germany has a very bad record in all terms of military and net, we are still the 4th largest payer to NATO.

And may I add that only 4% of the US military spendings are dedicated to Nato and in return they get bases and support. Same with the UK.

Having said that I am sure that funding an European Army will be the smallest issue though.

I think an European mlitary organsation can happen in the future, but it will take many years. If the European nations use more on the military (there are some signs of this) and the US becomes more isolationist or focuses mainly on the Pasific we might have to.
    Such an organisation doesn't have to be an EU project. It's possible some EU members can opt out and non-EU members can be a member of the military organisation, just like in NATO. Anyway, I don't think this will happen in a long time, perhaps in 20-30 years.
    Perhaps training and equiping the European members to operate without the US is the most likely. This will take more money, especially in heavy transport planes, fuelig planes and support ships.
    Agreed Germany doesn't pay what it should to Nato, but
    Will find extra money to pay for a EU army. ;) So like a
    Mohel on a Job something's got to get cut, I'm guessing
    It will be NATO.
    If a European Army will be part of NATO, why would spendings towards that not count as spendings to the NATO defense system.

If Germany dedicates their fighter planes to NATO and European Army, why should it count only half to the NATO umbrella?

Why pay anything, as Germany doesn't pay what it should now :))
    Also in a crisis how quickly will 27 countries come to a decision. :D
    Still hopefully not our problem anymore, after the EU elections ;)
This discussion has been closed.