Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Comments

• ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    edited December 2020
    HowardB wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    Now they can digitally "de-age" actors. It was used to take years off DeNiro and Pacino in The Irishman and to a much lesser, but in some ways more effectively, for Brad Pitt in Allied. The rub is, the technology is very, very expensive. Based upon the Bond track record, EON will probably go for a lesser known but well regarded actor in their early to mid 30's and it won't be a model type or boy band member who spends a lot of time in the gym. :))

Very true. You could not have gotten better de-ageing tech if you left Deniro and Pesci's wax dummies in a boiler room for six hours. Also the Irishman made the interesting choice of having young Deniro and young Pesci shuffle around like old men and talk with old men's voices, creating a fascinating dissonance that was never annoying.

I've seen some videos about the making of The Irishman and what also made the de-aging that much more difficult was that they de-aged them to look more like the actual people they were playing as opposed to just making them look like younger versions of themselves. Also, with regards to "shuffling around", DeNiro who is not "short" at around 5'11" (given his age probably more like 5'10" or less these days) was playing a guy who in real life was a very big guy (Frank Sheeran was 6'4" and over 220 lbs). So in addition to the de-aging, they had him in big clunky elevator boots (think Boris Karloff in Frankenstein) and padded up to look bulkier. IMO, the movie overcame some of this just because the actors were so good in their roles. DeNiro was excellent as was Joe Pesci and Pacino was terrific as he went back to actually acting and not doing another bloviated "Scent of a Woman" "hoo rah" performance.

I suppose in the 12 minutes of screen time that he wasn't sitting down he did look taller than normal. I am glad they retired the old-hat tradition of casting age appropriate actors for their respective characters, but its a too bad they didn't feel comfortable with letting Deniro play Sheeran at age 11 as I believe the technology is there, ex. snapchat. It'd be great to have his childhood of leaving his mother to come to the new world. A thirty minute backstory would help to stretch out the runtime to more of a theater length.
  • nobodynobody Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    DeNiro is not 5'11". MAYBE 5'8" in his prime. Probably 5'6' now...
    HowardB wrote:

Very true. You could not have gotten better de-ageing tech if you left Deniro and Pesci's wax dummies in a boiler room for six hours. Also the Irishman made the interesting choice of having young Deniro and young Pesci shuffle around like old men and talk with old men's voices, creating a fascinating dissonance that was never annoying.

I've seen some videos about the making of The Irishman and what also made the de-aging that much more difficult was that they de-aged them to look more like the actual people they were playing as opposed to just making them look like younger versions of themselves. Also, with regards to "shuffling around", DeNiro who is not "short" at around 5'11" (given his age probably more like 5'10" or less these days) was playing a guy who in real life was a very big guy (Frank Sheeran was 6'4" and over 220 lbs). So in addition to the de-aging, they had him in big clunky elevator boots (think Boris Karloff in Frankenstein) and padded up to look bulkier. IMO, the movie overcame some of this just because the actors were so good in their roles. DeNiro was excellent as was Joe Pesci and Pacino was terrific as he went back to actually acting and not doing another bloviated "Scent of a Woman" "hoo rah" performance.

I suppose in the 12 minutes of screen time that he wasn't sitting down he did look taller than normal. I am glad they retired the old-hat tradition of casting age appropriate actors for their respective characters, but its a too bad they didn't feel comfortable with letting Deniro play Sheeran at age 11 as I believe the technology is there, ex. snapchat. It'd be great to have his childhood of leaving his mother to come to the new world. A thirty minute backstory would help to stretch out the runtime to more of a theater length.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Jamie Dornan looked pretty Bond-ish cleaning what looks like a PPK in "Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar".
    IMG-6395.jpg
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent
    Jamie Dornan looked pretty Bond-ish cleaning what looks like a PPK in "Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar".
    IMG-6395.jpg

I think Dornan would make a good Bond also but he's 39 now and by the time they get around to Bond 26......well you all know the old story. 8-)
  • tsholdtshold TorontoPosts: 212MI6 Agent
    My guess is we get someone who is 25-30ish now who is a relative unknown to the mainstream.
    Shop the latest thing from the SIS Training Collection!
    https://sistraininggear.com
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    Irishman is superior to goodfellas in that goodfellas cut out all the driving and checking into hotels and just left the exciting parts.
    nobody wrote:
    DeNiro is not 5'11". MAYBE 5'8" in his prime. Probably 5'6' now...
    HowardB wrote:

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I think we're moving past a pure White male having to be Bond. Gen-Z in particular embraces diversity in ways that cause fear or unease for many people in previous generations, even ones who think themselves rather open minded -- I'm not sure the old school version of Bond will be as appealing to younger people who see diversity as a strength. The oldsters will become increasingly irrelevant. Since so many people have embraced the possibility of Idris Elba, who I think would have made a great Bond but is too old now for the role, it's entirely possible they will cast someone of mixed heritage, like Henry Golding or the fellow from Bridgerton, who while not yet having all of the characteristics I look for in Bond, may physically be closer to the type.

817e92c46a589891d751680f2adaa1e1ed-22-henry-golding-rsquare-w1200.jpg

rege-jean-page-embed2.jpg

I have no issue with Golding except that I worry that he is more model than actor....tall, strikingly handsome, looks great in formal wear, but lacking in Bond level charisma and presence. The other bloke from Bridgerton, I have never seen before.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent

I suspect if you put Golding in a lineup with nine other male Asian models he wouldn't stand out. Not in a "all Asians look the same to me" way. I should think the same could be said of dark haired European models.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

Golding's got a bit of charisma in the things I've seen him in. I don't know if he's Bond level or not, but he'd be worth a look I think.

Like N24, I haven't seen Bridgerton so I don't know what Page is like.

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent

I've seen episodes of Bridgerton. Page has model-type looks with a slim model-type body. He falls into the pretty-boy type and he has the right body type for a classic Bond. He's extremely charismatic. So physically and personality-wise he's the opposite of Daniel Craig. I did not like Bridgerton at all, and I didn't find myself caring for his character. A bit too soap-opera. With the right director he may be able to handle Bond.

Visit my blog, Bond Suits

I have no doubt page can play the charming womanizer based on what I've heard about Briderton. I've searched YouTube for Page's scenes from the mini-series Roots because I'd Imagine he has more serious and dramatic scenes there. I mainly found interviews with him about Roots. I'm still unconvinced, but open to him as a future Bond. His etnicity will be seen as a plus for some and a negative for others, but to me a 007 with a French name will take some getting used to.

• JoviusJovius Albuquerque, NMPosts: 42MI6 Agent

Regé-Jean Page is a fine actor, even if Bridgerton didn't hold my interest too much as a series. Henry Golding I'd need to see more of to form an opinion on. I had Crazy Rich Asians on my list a couple years ago and completely forgot to watch it. And like anything else on streaming services now, its presence was fleeting.

A mixed-race actor could be a nice way to have the James Bond name, and his intrinsic Britishness, still "make sense" to many people. Never minding, of course, that plenty of completely non-white people have very British names and are born and raised British, but you know. People have pre-conceived notions of what being British, or European as a whole, looks like.

• John Francis KennedyJohn Francis Kennedy South lanarkshire, ScotlandPosts: 88MI6 Agent

hiddleston does a fine Michael Jackson, bond? Not for me, Richard madden not on the list??

There is a poll made in 2020. Why don't you try that?

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent

I think Tom Bateman would make a good Bond imho.

It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent

I think you are correct. I never thought Idris was right for Bond, but I’m unwilling to rule out anyone just because they are a person of color or mixed heritage. Just as I don’t think a non-white actor should be cast solely for the sake of diversity, I don’t believe anyone should be ruled out because they’re not white. There’s more than one way to get it right, but the cost will be high if they get it wrong. No choice will ever please everyone, of course. That has always been the case, but everything is heightened these days.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 244MI6 Agent
    edited March 2021

I really like that Jamie Dornan photo! But I feel Fifty Shades tarnished him. He'd need to really redeem himself to not be slaughtered by fans and critics if he were cast as James Bond (Doran has a new HBO/BBC series called Tourist which sounds very 007 which might do that). However, recent photos of Richard Madden on the set of new futuristic spy series, Citadel, have me convinced that he would be a terrific 007. He's young, sexy and looks a bit like Pierce Brosnan, albeit with a slight bit of that edgy Daniel Craig vibe.

I'm not sure if Eternals will keep him from 007. After all, being in the Marvel franchise is a big commitment. They contract their actors for multiple films and shows. Though, he isn't the lead of his films ensemble. So perhaps he could still play Bond. Maybe Barbara will even pay Marvel out to have Madden break his contract.......Who knows. Nevertheless, he's ageing excellently.

Madden looks great in those photos.

Madden might be a bit short, but otherwise IMO, Bond material.

IMO, Dornan would be an excellent choice but as I said previously, by the time they get around to Bond 26, he will probably be too old to just get started.

+1

I wish Dornan didn't do 50 Shades as he would be high on my list. He was great in A Private War and My Dinner with Herve. Though it be unfair to judge his performance in Anthropoid as Cillian Murphy outacts anyone with a single glance.

I also agree on your point about Madden. He photographs short. I saw him in Bodguard - which he is very good in - but he did not look 5'10 despite what Google says. That show was filmed at least 3 years ago and in that time he's aged fantastically.

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent

I watched a Netflix series called "in her eyes" and it struck me that the lead actor in that would be a good candidate, Tom Bateman

I saw Jamie Dornan in "the siege at Jadotville" well worth a watch and again a good candidate, I've never seen any of the 50 shades films so can't comment .......thankfully .

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Ryan Gosling would have been a terrific Bond. He's so damn cool, charismatic, sexy and mischievous. Probably too famous and Canadian.

An up-and-coming English actor with a similar vibe is Harris Dickinson. He was very good in Beach Rats and is one of the leads of the new Kingsman film. He's only 25 though.

Regarding Harris Dickinson.....maybe in 5-10 years. Being in a Kingsman might rule him out for EON though.

But now I see that Ralph Fiennes is also in the new Kingsman prequel....so maybe not.

I think it actually gets him the right attention. I don't think Dickinson has been earmarked as the future of the Kingsman franchise. Meanwhile, due to him being British and staring in a spy film, he will inevitably get 'next 007' attention. Also, he's booking some pretty buzzworthy projects at the moment. We don't know how young they plan to go with the next Bond. However, I suspect they will want someone in their late 20s/early 30s. In which case, Dickinson might be in the right age range.

Mark Kermode correctly heaped praise on his provocative film Beach Rats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6D7QgAZPqo

He has 'something.' But at this stage it's purely a guessing game. We have no clue who could be in the running. For example, I would never have had known who Rege-Jean Page was a year ago. Now he's a frontrunner.

It's a funny thing, but I would guess some good candidates for Bond have aged out or gone on to other franchises just because of the passage of time between Bond films.

I worry that's what's happening with Sam Hueghan.

My above post was a response to HowardB's post. Like Gymkata I like Heughan as Bond. There are also other good candidates like Ed Skrein, Aidan Turner and Ben Barnes who were born early in the 80's who may age out.

Hueghan is nakedly campaigning. Also, his body of work isn't that encouraging. He just did a movie for Sky with Ruby Rose and starred in a Bond spoof with Kate McKinnon. Meanwhile, Harris Dickinson is maturing well and could be a star in his own right. Kinda a cross between Timothee Chalamet and Ryan Gosling. If Eon wanted to go after a younger A24 audience, then he could be the dude......Or someone like him.