Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Comments

• GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 2,943MI6 Agent
    Current rankings:
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
    TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 80MI6 Agent

Regé-Jean Page left Bridgerton. Gossip blogger Deuxmoi is hinting that it could be down to him being in Bond contention

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,091MI6 Agent

Regé-Jean Page is the flavor of the month. Of course the gossips are "linking" him to Bond.

Deuxmoi tends to be accurate - she isn't a blogger, she posts scoops from insiders. She doesn't verify the stories, but she is the first place for these stories nowadays. A lot of the big industry stories come from her....Story below:

https://www.thewrap.com/instagram-celebrity-gossip-accounts-changing-tabloid-media/

• GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 2,943MI6 Agent

from what I understand, BRIDGERTON is more of an anthology show anyways. Each season is going to focus on different characters so it's not surprising that he isn't coming back.

That said, this guy has got STAR written all over him. I didn't watch much of BRIDGERTON but, from what I saw, he was pretty decent. Add in the fact that he's way too handsome for his own good and yeah, he's going places. He actually kinda reminds me of Tom Ellis in his appearance, funnily enough.

Current rankings:
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
    TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 4,064MI6 Agent

I still haven’t watched any Bridgerton: he seems very mannered and camp in the trailer but I believe that’s the nature of the show so isn’t a criticism of him. I need to check him out; no objections in prospect, he’s the right age and all that.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 17,555MI6 Agent

Page is half Zimbabwan and half English and his features are a very advantagous mix. I think that's a plus for him as Bond, maybe making him acceptable for both those who want Bond to remain white and those who thinks it's time for a non-white actor in the role. I think the smart thing for him at this point, perhaps especially if he wants to be cast as Bond, is to appear in part where he gets to showcase his acting range in some awards-bait dramatic piece.

edited April 3

I expect he'd quite like to get a part like that anyway, as would most actors! 😊

I should think so. An action movie role to show he's fit and can do action is probably a good idea too.

There's a rumour that he could be in the next Black Panther film - whether as the new lead or another role. If he played the villain in a Marvel film that would increase his chances as Bond. Especially the Black Panther sequel. He'd then be out of the franchise after one picture. Opposed to someone like Madden who is likely tied to the franchise for years.

Yes, a Marvel villan role is better than playing Black Panther if he wants to be Bond.

Page is born in 1990 (strangely not mentioned in is Wikipedia entry) and 183 cm tall, so that's all good.

IMDB tells us Page is cast in the movie "The grey man", an action movie to be directed by the Russo brothers (several Marvel movies).

It's about a spy-assassin trying to save his daughter. Chris Evans is probably the lead, and among the stars is Ana des Armas!

edited April 3

Sounds like it could be quite a fun movie regardless! 😀

After that he's doing Dungeons & Dragons!

Well I guess that's one thing you can do with your time off, I prefer a jigsaw myself... 😉

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 30,814Chief of Staff

....but his contract allows the producers to call him back at the very last minute, just as his casting for Bond is to be announced?

Back to Miranda? 😁

Think 1986 and you'll get it.

edited April 3

I’m not sure what the last appearance of Haley’s comet has to do with anything 😁

Ah, that would only have to do with early plans for AVTAK.... which wasn't 1986. Never mind.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,547MI6 Agent

Tom Ellis, who I actually think would make a very good Bond is 42. Again, not to rain on anyone's parade, but by the time Bond 26 rolls around in 3 or 4 years (maybe) he will be 45 or 46 and they are not going to cast an actor, as good as he might be at that age. I know they did it with Roger, but that was then and this is now. Regé-Jean Page, for those concerned with Bond actor height, is listed at 5'10".....not an issue for me. I'm fine with a non-white Bond as long as they make some credible changes to the backstory. For Regé-Jean Page, they could almost stick to his actual background although I wouldn't mind having one of the parents with Jamaican roots which would fit nicely with Bond's traditional connection to the island. Unfortunately, Regé-Jean Page is the flavor of the month (which is kind of unfair as I think he has a bright future) and his name seems to be connected everywhere, which may ultimately be good for his career but usually is the kiss of death when it comes to EON casting a new Bond.

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 963MI6 Agent

It would not happen I'm sure, but I often think this man would make a good Bond. Why? For no other reason than he reminds me of Sean Connery in his features!

I hope that the next Bond is still a white man. For me it is messing with Ian Fleming's legacy too much to change the race of Bond. This is only my opinion of course.

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,044MI6 Agent
    edited April 4

He really does look like Sean Connery, especially in the last photo. Who is he, Joshua?

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 963MI6 Agent

I'm not sure of the spelling of his name but he is called Ashley Banjo (I think that's the correct spelling) I think it would be interesting to see him as a Bond. Even though I am against any one other than a white man, I think I would make an exception because I think he cold be a sort of 'new' Sean Connery. Not a imitation, doing his own style you see.

Heh! I never really thought of Banjo looking like Connery, but you're right 😊 He's more a presenter (and dancer!) than actor though I think.

"Banjo IS Bond!" 🤣

I think all his IMDB entries ar as "Himself". Hiring a dancer as 007? What's next...... casting a model/car salesman?

He looks a lot like Sean Connery, that's for sure.

edited April 4

I think there is a concern that hiring a black actor could chip away at the Bond brand and franchise imagery. It could distill its potency. For example, what would distinguish Bond from The Protagonist from Tenet? Etc....

Nevertheless, I actually think someone like Rege-Jean Page (who is basically very similar to someone like Henry Cavill if you ask me) is actually physically more of a traditional fit for Bond than Daniel Craig. Back in 2005, Craig's more rough, bruised and mean look was the opposite of what people expected. He has now come to define the role for a new generation. If Rege-Jean was to get the role, he would likely offer a less radical new take on Bond. He'd likely bring back Brosnan's 'tall, dark and handsome' flavour but keep Craig's more vulnerable side. In this sense, the franchise's brand remains intact and Bond remains 'Bond' - encompassing both the traditional and modern aspects of the character.

Therefore, I could see Rege-Jean play Bond. His career is blowing up and it's only going places in 2021.....There are even rumours that he's going to be Superman. Basically he's rumoured for everything. So I wouldn't take him too seriously currently, but I wouldn't discount at all.

I still think Barbara won't pick someone 'obvious' such as Rege-Jean Page or Henry Cavill. It'll be someone odd and unexpected.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,547MI6 Agent
    edited April 5

There has been an under 6' Bond, there could be a Black Bond, there could be a Black Superman, but there will never be a 5'10" Superman😋 Sorry Rege-Jean.

Haha, Rege-Jean was channeling 007 at the (virtual) SAG Awards yesterday.....This guy is tempting me to binge Bridgerton. I like what I see.

I think there is a concern that hiring a black actor could chip away at the Bond brand and franchise imagery. It could distill its potency. For example, what would distinguish Bond from The Protagonist from Tenet? Etc....

I think there's quite a lot really: Bond has loads of iconography attached to him. I'd definitely be able to tell one from the other.

Heh! I must be honest, I've never really thought Superman has to be over six foot! On a massive movie screen two inches wouldn't make any difference to me.

The only thing that puts me off Page a bit physically is that he seems quite slight and slender- even more so than Brosnan was. Maybe he could toughen up a bit I suppose if he got it.