Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Comments

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent

Tom Hiddleson is a great actor - I say that having seen his work on the stage as well as fim and tv.

But he won't be Bond. His model type is too similar to Mr Craig on many levels, and he is now a solid Disney player what with Loki

via the Thor films. A high profile actor, who will not take a starting salary. The House Of Eon will not look here.

As an older Q, perhaps Tanner or even M in the future? I would not be surprised. He is certainly of the caliber of Ralph Finnes as he was 25 years ago. But too similar to what we already have in the Archive to be Bond himself.

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 244MI6 Agent

Hemsworth was a legitimate contender for the Bond role. However, we know with certainty that Eon will not pick an actor associated with another character or franchise - especially if they are the title character of that franchise. For this reason, names such as Henry Cavill, Robert Pattinson, Chris Hemsworth are all long shots to impossibilities.

I'm planning on checking out Bridgerton - perhaps this week if I can find the strength - because I really like Page's look. He looks the part. I just don't think he's that edgy or exciting - he kinda has a Brosnan Mk.2 vibe. He'd try to play Bond as the 'tall, dark, handsome' stranger. Perhaps even inject more humour and romance into the role. But he won't have that grit or brutality that Craig has....But perhaps Bond needs to go back to being a gentleman spy in the next film.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

How would we feel about a beardy Bond? I guess it might not upset me.

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent

Bond should always be clean shaven unless there's a reason behind it like in SF and DAD. A slight hint of stubble is fine I think (he looks to have some throughout NTTD) but a full beard would cut away at his clean cut image.

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent

Agreed, Tom Hiddleston is just Daniel Craig with much less testosterone.

Nooooo! TH is a long way from DC. He's a posh, Etonion lad. Daniel is working class, quiet, cold and moody.

An actor, I really think has the 'look' and intensity of Craig is Bill Skarsgård. He's Swedish though. Could a Swede play Bond? He's the right age, he's handsome in an unusual way and has a great screen-presence. He's no vanilla pretty boy.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent

I read a lot here how Eon will not pick an actor associated with another character or how Eon won't pick an actor who has already starred in a big movie.

But how do we know that? I am asking in all seriousness.

The last time Barbara Broccoli hired an actor to play James Bond was in 2005. A lot has happened in moviemaking — never mind the world — over those sixteen years.

Are there recent quotes from Babs about what she will or won't do NOW? Again, I am curious if others here have information that's more than old interviews and beliefs that have been repeated so often here they have taken on the quality of dogma.

Even in 2005 Eon was willing to think outside the box with Craig who fit some of the "qualifications" for Bond, but was also average height, blond, and some here believe borderline ugly. If we'd been engaged in this exercise of prognosticating the next James Bond in 2004, how many short* lists would Daniel Craig have been on.

*Pun not intended.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent

I never saw Bond as working class. I'd like to hear other members' opinion on this...

Yes, maybe. I think if the actor looks really good in one in a very sharp style, as with Page, I could probably let it slide.

I can see Bill Skarsgård's qualifactions, but if a Swede is cast as James Bond I'll seriously consider giving up being a Bond fan 🤪

It's a good thing Daniel Craig would never play a Swede... :)

Or Connery playing a Scandinavian either ;)

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

I have no problems with Connery or Craig playing Scandinavians, or Bill's brother playing an English lord and king of the jungle. I do have problems with an actor not from Britain or Australia or NZ playing Bond. Especially a SWEDE 😁

• MepharielMephariel Posts: 15MI6 Agent

I don't understand what people see in Hemsworth. He is a broad strokes actor with very little nuances. Plus, he just isn't that charismatic outside of the Thor franchise.

Hemsworth is too big a star now to be cast as Bond, but I think he delivered really good (but very different) performances in Rush and Ghostbusters.

Yes he wouldn't be Bond now, but I think he's a pretty good charismatic star and I hope he pops up in lots more stuff. He could have made a good Bond too.

He can't do a good English accent though! :)

This is correct. We don't know.

We know that Cubby had some "rules." For example, he wouldn't cast Brosnan whilst he was Remington Stelle. However, he had no problem casting him once he was done playing that role. We also know that Cubby was happy to cast an American in the role. He actually cast John Gavin and got pretty close to securing James Brolin.

I think the closest Barbara and Michael have given on casting the next Bond is this quote:

“You think of him as being from Britain or the Commonwealth, but Britain is a very diverse place,” Wilson says. There are certain things the duo appears open to considering, and other conversations that are nonstarters, when it comes to selecting the next Bond. “He can be of any color, but he is male,” says Broccoli. “I believe we should be creating new characters for women — strong female characters. I’m not particularly interested in taking a male character and having a woman play it. I think women are far more interesting than that.”

So I assume from Wilson's quote that actors from the Commonwealth are in contention. However, I seem to recall that Goran Visnjic was once close to getting the role. So even Eon's rules seem to be bendable. Personally, I think if we can't have Robert Pattinson because he's Batman, then Eon should just do a sixth film with Daniel. He looked better than ever in NTTD.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent

Thanks for flagging that quote for me. I wanted something firm to hold onto in this conversation.

I suppose the wild card is whether some corporation, desperate for intellectual property, makes a too-good-to-refuse bid for the cinematic Bond before the next actor is cast.

• FrankieFrankie Posts: 11MI6 Agent

I'm a Bond traditionalist. To me, nobody has come close to Sir Sean as 007. But under certain conditions, obviously, beyond my control, my personal preferences are:

A_ (If staying traditional): Clive Standen- Tom Ellis - Henry Cavill (in that order)

B_ (If I have to accept a blonde Bond): Sam Heughan

C_ (If I have to accept a black Bond): Regé-Jean Page (not mentioned in the poll. I will post his pic below)

I think a lot of the 'rules' are imposed by fans. But we really don't know. There is a set of circumstances where an actor may pursue the role and, subsequently, impresses to such a degree that they get the job. For example, if an actor of Timothee Chalamet's calibre actively wants the 007 role and actively pursues it, I think Eon would have to screentest him. I recall that Heath Ledger was not on Nolan's mind to be the Joker, but he actively pursued it and convinced Nolan he was right for the part.

The other thing is that since '94 and '05 when Barbara was casting Bond, the franchise playbook has changed. Now it's the case that finding a relatively unknown actor to lead a franchise is rare (not to say Brosnan or Craig were 'unknown' but they weren't name actors). Now every film opening is part of an 'universe' or 'franchise' and people like Angelina Jolie, Scarlet Johannson, Robert Pattinson, etc are competing for those roles.

Again, i feel it's too early to speculate. The pandemic not only hit NTTD but also Bond 26. Therefore, the next film will be out at the earliest in 2024 (I hope it comes earlier). By that time, I hope Chalamet is a legit prospect (he has a young Christian Bale vibe). It's all food for thought.

I know of actresses who are more masculine than Chalamet 😁

You could of said the same about Brosnan, Moore and even Henry Cavill in 2006. Chalamet was terrific in The King. Though if we listen to MGW, then Bond is from Britain or the Commonwealth. So, I think Chalamet's casting is pretty unfeasible.

What do we make of the news today that Warner bros are committed to making a black Superman film - this comes on the heels of Marvel announcing Anthony Mackie as Captain America. If Eon are known for anything, its following a trend.......

The only two black actors I could see taking on the Bond role are Rege-Jean Page or Sope Dirisu

No I don't think Chalamet is comparable to Moore, Brosnan and Cavill in terms of masculinity. Chalamet is just 68 kg! I know he can increase his weight by working out, but look at his facial structure. Based on Little Women I think he's a good actor, but I can't see him as Bond at all.

I think he’s got a great look too.

• MepharielMephariel Posts: 15MI6 Agent

I agree. I can't see Chalamet as Bond, no matter how much he works out.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent

I think the one thing for certain is we won’t get another Daniel Craig-style Bond. If they go with a Caucasian actor, they’ll try to differentiate it from Craig to avoid criticism that they’re not evolving. If they go with a non-Caucasian actor, I think we’ll get a portrayal very close to what is generally considered “classic Bond” so as to not alienate the fanbase. Either way, I don’t think we’ll get “woke” Bond as long as EON has the reigns. But if they sell, I think Bond becomes unrecognizable.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent

Page is much more classically movie star / model handsome. Dirisu on the other hand appears much more rugged, more like a black Craig.

I have trouble seeking Dirusu as James Bond. The Guardian can call me whatever they want, but I don't.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    edited May 2021

I have such a strong feeling it will be JRP. I think he ticks so many boxes and is perfect for today's world. Not only do I think he would be a great choice; Tall, dark and handsome, perfect age, great physique, I also put my money where my mouth is months ago so hoping he gets the gig😄

"Any of the opposition around..?"
    edited May 2021

I think JRP can become the next Bond, but I hope they'll managed to surprise us like they did with Craig.