Film with Connery's best hair?

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I think of Connery's Bond hair styles in three camps:

1. DN and FRWL: mostly Connery's natural hair

2. GF and DAF: stuck-on up-dos

3. TB and YOLT: Flattened wigs without much hairline that don't try to hide that they are toupees
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I quite like the look of Connery's toup in YOLT. Actually, the only rug that really bothers me is the DAF version. What a mess! However, he recovered years later with the hair he wears in NSNA. That one suits him well.
    The DAF one was pretty good except for the PTS where he he strangles the girl.... it looked very unreal, and his teeth looked bad there as well, and the short sleeved shirt didn't suit him at all... just a bad scene overall- except for Marie. -{ :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    People seem to be discounting the hair styles of the time. The first three films essentially had the "wet look" popular at the time, with Connery sporting a modified pompadour that became more swept back from the crown and temples with each film. In this, DN made him look the most youthful, but FRWL is where he looks the most polished. GF gave him a slightly more tousled look.

By TB, he starts sporting the "dry look." Instead of being swept back, it's clearly parted on the side. But the hair has some length, and the hard part and combing straight down and across, gives him a bit more of the toupee look. But he certainly wasn't the only actor of the time with that hair style. Don Adams essentially has the same cut in Get Smart, for instance. As the 1960s wore on, though, and styles became less conservative, people got shaggier. His hair in YOLT, for instance, is essentially a slightly more grown out version of what he had in TB, and the same can be said with DAF, though there, he also looks like he's aged 10 years, and the sideburns have that "steel wool" quality that gives him a much less kept look. I don't know that the style flatters his face at that point, either, but that's the problem with trying to match to the style rather than to the person.

NSNA gives him virtually the same hairstyle -- just older and grayer. But part of the reason it looks less natural is because it defies the way most men lose hair. When men go bald, they don't just lose hair at the crown; they also lose hair at the temples. When that hair recedes but somehow the hair on top of the head is still full, it's pretty obvious they're wearing a toupee. True, there are some men whose hairlines are more thinned out on top than the sides, and vice versa, but that's not common. Connery's face in NSNA is framed strangely because his hair has receded on the side, but then there's this straight line of side-parted hair across his forehead, which also makes it look smaller. The length is good but the part is not flattering or natural on him. Connery, like Yul Brynner, looks good bald not just because of the shape of his skull but because his forehead seems correctly proportioned for his face.

To me, the best haircut for Connery is the one that makes him look the most natural, and that's anything in the first three films. Those hairstyles go best with his face. He still looks good in the succeeding films, but just not as natural, and that's why it looks more like a toupee.

Craig, whose skull shape is similar to Connery's but whose features are less classically handsome, has the same issue. He looks better with the swept up, tousled look in CR than either the severe crewcut or hard side part of the last two films. His face will always look better with more "lift" on top and less hair on the side and back.
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Dr No for me.
  • BruceMurdockBruceMurdock OhioPosts: 133MI6 Agent
    A tie between Thunderball and You Only Live Twice for me.
    "No for me."
    "You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
    "I never miss..."
    "Time to face gravity!"
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Well, in the pic of Connery in DAF above, I think it looks fine. But in other shots, such as the Moon Buggy chase, it looks rough, and he almost resembles Richard Nixon!

Worst toupee for me is NSNA, I simply don't understand how anyone can say otherwise. It looks like a toupee in every scene, esp with the unlikely side parting. It's a Sinatra job. But Connery looks unnecessarily bad in the film generally imo, okay he's in better shape but the clothes seem to hang off him and if you lose weight quick, as he probably did, you can look wan and ill. Then there's the perma tan and trimmed eyebrows.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Oakvale wrote:
    I quite like the look of Connery's toup in YOLT. Actually, the only rug that really bothers me is the DAF version. What a mess! However, he recovered years later with the hair he wears in NSNA. That one suits him well.

What do you dislike about the DAF toup'?

The NSNA hair is very realistic.

I guess I don't like the "puffed up" appearance and the graying temples. Plus it's such a different look from when we last saw Connery as Bond in YOLT. For me it just doesn't work very well.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,217Chief of Staff
    For interest, "before and after", DAF:

aa_old_man_7.jpg

aa_old_man_8.jpg
    Barbel wrote:
    For interest, "before and after", DAF:

aa_old_man_7.jpg

aa_old_man_8.jpg

You've convinced me that DAF has one of his best toupees.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Craig, whose skull shape is similar to Connery's but whose features are less classically handsome, has the same issue. He looks better with the swept up, tousled look in CR than either the severe crewcut or hard side part of the last two films. His face will always look better with more "lift" on top and less hair on the side and back.
    Yeah both Connery and Craig have similar bone structure that's common among most masculine leading men.
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
    I just watched The Hunt for Red October again, and man, Connery looks great in this, especially his hair. They did a great job, he looks great as a silver fox.
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    I think we all can agree that his hair looked best in Zardoz.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    His red diaper was cool as well.
    :))

I actually like that film a lot. -{
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Yeah both Connery and Craig have similar bone structure that's common among most masculine leading men.
    They've actually done studies that suggest men with larger foreheads, broader faces, and higher cheekbones are consistently rated as more attractive, even among different cultures. The film industry tends to promote faces that are boxier, with smaller foreheads, narrower faces, and more ordinary cheekbones, a la Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan. That may be why they seem less masculine to me than Connery, Lazenby, or Craig.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    They've actually done studies that suggest men with larger foreheads, broader faces, and higher cheekbones are consistently rated as more attractive, even among different cultures. The film industry tends to promote faces that are boxier, with smaller foreheads, narrower faces, and more ordinary cheekbones, a la Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan. That may be why they seem less masculine to me than Connery, Lazenby, or Craig.

Dalton is pretty masculine, and chin is really quite defined and dimpled, which isn't something you normally see in many women.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent

Nah. The Name of the Rose is Connery's best look as far as his hair is concerned. :D
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    He is, though phrenologically speaking, he looks more like the villain, with the longer face and saturnine features. i recall when he first emerged as Bond, in the U.S. people compared him to Joe Camel.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent

Nah. The Name of the Rose is Connery's best look as far as his hair is concerned. :D

Are we forgetting The Anderson Tapes? Or The Offence?
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    zaphod99 wrote:

Are we forgetting what this thread is actually about?
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Connery, Lazenby and Craig are the most physically fit and imposing Bond's so that helped too.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Caught Connery in The Time Bandits the other day. Now that is a wig, but not too outlandish compared to the other get-ups in the film. What's odd is that you can see he is the guy who was James Bond, no question, and his virility, manner and comic timing is spot on. Only a year or so before NSNA, but in that he's geezer Bond. :(
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Caught Connery in The Time Bandits the other day. Now that is a wig, but not too outlandish compared to the other get-ups in the film. What's odd is that you can see he is the guy who was James Bond, no question, and his virility, manner and comic timing is spot on. Only a year or so before NSNA, but in that he's geezer Bond. :(

Yes, Connery did look great in Time Bandits, though if Bond had that hair it would have been a joke. You're right that Connery looks considerably older in NSNA by comparison, and that must have a lot to do with the toupee.
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    He looks years younger in Time Bandits. Gives the impression without that wig and beard, he'd resemble his old Thunderball self.
    Makes me speculate had he been given a hairpiece similar to TB or YOLT, he might have looked far more youthful, and not had to have done the retired Bond concept for NSNA.
    I wonder if the retired Bond concept in NSNA was suggesting that an older Roger Moore at the time should have been retired as well.
    I do think they made Connery look too old in NSNA, he was only 52 during filming.
    Matt S wrote:
    I wonder if the retired Bond concept in NSNA was suggesting that an older Roger Moore at the time should have been retired as well.

I've never thought of it like that, but you might be onto something. Perhaps not intentionally the overarching theme, but definitely one at play.
    Hell, he looked younger in Highlander!
    I think the problem in NSNA goes far beyond hair. It's the way he moves.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

Are we forgetting what this thread is actually about?

Good point. Well made.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Doctor WhoDoctor Who Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    From Russia With Love.
    Dr. No is also good.
    Every film from after FRWL looks like an obvious hair piece, at least to me. FRWL is the last time it could pass for real hair.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Bond's hair should've thinned out a bit by YOLT.
    The part where I stopped believing it was his actual hair was in the beach scenes with Domino in TB. It is very obvious that he's wearing a hair piece.
    a reasonable rate of return