Is this an Omega...?

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    clothing is a huge grey area, nothing seems original any more and with the moncler/ Tom Ford situation he has no room to comment, even his Styrrup trousers with that outfit are copied... Er I mean inspired by trousers used in the past. Everything has been done before, just because Billy Reid puts some leather detail on a peacoat and some other small detail does not make it original it's still copied from/ homage to the original naval item. I don't have any negative opinion on royale or Magnoli, with exception of direct pattern copies, if t&a have created their own geometric tie designs then it's their design and artwork therefore replicating that design is wrong, but slightly alter it in a small way and that's fine as that is accepted in the fashion world. Sunglasses, bags, watches and clothing that are direct copies are firmly in the fake made to decieve camp, do people who buy a pair of fake Adidas or Nike trainers tell everyone they are fake? I doubt it they generally purchase these items to pass them off as real and therefore pass themselves off as something different than what they are, we had a young man on here who recently bought a Rolex fake posted up pictures seeing nothing wrong with it, in the end he was happy as he could fool girls into thinking it was real which is a deception. I bought Magnolis qos sunglasses, but it's not possible to pass these off as Tom Ford or oliver people's as they say Magnoli on them, and don't have the T on the temple. Also particularly fake watches do damage the original brand, I always liked omega but I have worn a Rolex on a couple of occasions, I swore off them due to the amount of fakes which at one point were everywhere! 16 year old lads had them, bartenders had them, I was once in the supermarket and the man repairing the fridge had a bi metal Daytona on his wrist! Would anyone reach into the workings of a fridge with a 10k, watch on his hand? I'm not saying high end watches are the preserve of the wealthy and privileged and I know you can buy them on finance but when fakes flood the market to an extent that they loose exclusivity they also loose some appeal. Burberry suffered a lot due to their brand becoming a chav brand due to availability of fake goods, Luis Vuitton has also suffered, 6k handbag on a single mother on benefits?
    A friend of mine actually has a fake Burberry scarf, I think because they have such an iconic design pattern that its ridiculously easy to fake. Thankfully recently they've been branching out with clothing that cant be immediately pinpointed as a Burberry item.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    clothing is a huge grey area, nothing seems original any more and with the moncler/ Tom Ford situation he has no room to comment, even his Styrrup trousers with that outfit are copied... Er I mean inspired by trousers used in the past. Everything has been done before, just because Billy Reid puts some leather detail on a peacoat and some other small detail does not make it original it's still copied from/ homage to the original naval item. I don't have any negative opinion on royale or Magnoli, with exception of direct pattern copies, if t&a have created their own geometric tie designs then it's their design and artwork therefore replicating that design is wrong, but slightly alter it in a small way and that's fine as that is accepted in the fashion world. Sunglasses, bags, watches and clothing that are direct copies are firmly in the fake made to decieve camp, do people who buy a pair of fake Adidas or Nike trainers tell everyone they are fake? I doubt it they generally purchase these items to pass them off as real and therefore pass themselves off as something different than what they are, we had a young man on here who recently bought a Rolex fake posted up pictures seeing nothing wrong with it, in the end he was happy as he could fool girls into thinking it was real which is a deception. I bought Magnolis qos sunglasses, but it's not possible to pass these off as Tom Ford or oliver people's as they say Magnoli on them, and don't have the T on the temple. Also particularly fake watches do damage the original brand, I always liked omega but I have worn a Rolex on a couple of occasions, I swore off them due to the amount of fakes which at one point were everywhere! 16 year old lads had them, bartenders had them, I was once in the supermarket and the man repairing the fridge had a bi metal Daytona on his wrist! Would anyone reach into the workings of a fridge with a 10k, watch on his hand? I'm not saying high end watches are the preserve of the wealthy and privileged and I know you can buy them on finance but when fakes flood the market to an extent that they loose exclusivity they also loose some appeal. Burberry suffered a lot due to their brand becoming a chav brand due to availability of fake goods, Luis Vuitton has also suffered, 6k handbag on a single mother on benefits?
    A friend of mine actually has a fake Burberry scarf, I think because they have such an iconic design pattern that its ridiculously easy to fake. Thankfully recently they've been branching out with clothing that cant be immediately pinpointed as a Burberry item.
    A few years ago market stalls were full of fake burberry caps and scarves etc
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I have a omega watch which was a fake. it looked good it was a blue diel and a metal strap. I still have it somewhere but i could post a picture if any body is interested to see.
  • DUBL_OHDUBL_OH Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    Definitely a minefield out there people. I recently bought a Tudor Black Bay, and couldn't find any reputable write ups on how to spot a fake, so I ended up going to some forums where they discuss fakes, to sort of reverse engineer what to look for based on what I saw the fakes were doing. Scary stuff.
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    Especially when you can get things like this for a few hundred dollars... ok the strap is crap, but maybe the owners of the real deal can advise how close this is...

http://www.wristwatchspot.com/2016/01/20/replica-omega-seamaster-300-spectre-james-bond-007-vintage-watch-from-kw-factory/
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Tennyson wrote:
    Especially when you can get things like this for a few hundred dollars... ok the strap is crap, but maybe the owners of the real deal can advise how close this is...

http://www.wristwatchspot.com/2016/01/20/replica-omega-seamaster-300-spectre-james-bond-007-vintage-watch-from-kw-factory/

It not bad, but an owner of a real one will shoot you down in flames if you wear it in public. It's superficially good, but far from perfect.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Tennyson wrote:

It not bad, but an owner of a real one will shoot you down in flames if you wear it in public. It's superficially good, but far from perfect.

Would be good as a display, even better if you can get it lighting up red.

Wearing a fake, in my opinion you are only fooling yourself, like ASP said people that own the real deal will shoot you down in flames {[]
    Its just frightening how close things are getting... i would be gutted if i spent 10x the $$ for a LE only to find a 'perfect' copy/fake that was indistinguishable.. thankfully I've got me eye on a CR PO, which i have not seen ripped off to anything close to the original..
    That's just the point, they're not that good if you are familiar with the real thing. It might as well have iluminous tags saying FAKE on it to owners of real versions. People are blinkered as they only see what they want to see when they buy this crap.
    Tennyson wrote:

Where to start?
    Obviously the strap is way way off, the Crown on my genuine item it is polished, maybe the pictures but the patina on the lume looks off, the sandblasting on the dial is different texture, the movement has a the wrong colour balance wheel.... The 8500's have a titanium balance wheel which is black in colour, which is the biggest give away at first glance of the movement .
    But I have to say, that is a scarily good looking replica, and there has been a lot of work done on that movement even to copy the look of omegas. It must be very expensive for a copy is it?
    these workshops turning out such detailed fakes must have to charge 3, 4 or 5 hundred pounds for such watches but at that price surely people will want some form of guarantee of reliability? That being the case such fakes must surely be pricing themselves out of the market.
    What does amaze me is going to such trouble making that fake 8500 movement then sticking it on that strap.
    Tennyson wrote:
    Its just frightening how close things are getting... i would be gutted if i spent 10x the $$ for a LE only to find a 'perfect' copy/fake that was indistinguishable.. thankfully I've got me eye on a CR PO, which i have not seen ripped off to anything close to the original..
    I did and at first glance my heart sank a bit, like it did years ago when everybody and his dog had a Rolex copy and suddenly mine felt pointless. the problem is with the le is just that it's a limited edition, it's not made anymore and now thousands of people can buy a pretty accurate fake. Does this dilute the appeal?
    Fortunately most fakes are completey inaccurate and of models that dont even exist or of the very popular or brand new models.
    I've no idea on the price, just guessing it's not a $10 one from aliexpress, and certainly not full price so I guess a couple/few hundred quid, but yes, I would want a guarantee for that money, especially as you can pick up some nice vintage seikos, and I have even done some old omega geneves for about NZ$400, (£200ish).. ok maybe not a robust beater, but still a genuine OM..
  • CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,368MI6 Agent
    Agree with Asp9mm.
    When it comes to contemporary models, I have not seen yet a fake close enough to the real thing.
    However, I'm very worried about vintage watches.
    As rare model reach huge prices, the fakers spend a lot of efforts replicating them.
    I have seen fakes of very rare models sold by renouned auction houses...
    A lot of people are getting screwed, so do your own due diligence and beware if you are after a vintage watch!
    I saw a TV show talking about faking watches and the peoples said only the best experts could be able to no the best fake watches. I think some of the experts had been fooled. The show was called fake britian and this culd be on youtube.
    I find this on the internet. It is of corse an advertisment.

https://www.solidswiss.cd/replica-vs-genuine/

I do not now much about this but would these watches be made in Swizerland? I think not. I will try to find the fake Britain show. I remember this as these watches were fooling the dealers. I wonder if any body saw this show too?
    I found my watch and will take pictures if any one is interested to see?
    Joshua wrote:
    I saw a TV show talking about faking watches and the peoples said only the best experts could be able to no the best fake watches. I think some of the experts had been fooled. The show was called fake britian and this culd be on youtube.

That was a terrible programme and was just exaggerated. It's just not true and the examples they used in the show were laughable. They over dramatise most subjects on Fake Britain.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:

I am pretty often in Asia and people offer me fake watches all the time.

Not one of them - and I have seen a LOT! - was good enough to fool a watch conaisseur or an expert.
    I guess that the "experts" have not been so much that :s
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited January 2017
    Higgins wrote:
    Joshua wrote:

I am pretty often in Asia and people offer me fake watches all the time.

Not one of them - and I have seen a LOT! - was good enough to fool a watch conaisseur or an expert.
    I guess that the "experts" have not been so much that :s

The experts on that show were just playing up to the mood of the programme - 'disaster' doom, destruction, nothing can be done'. It's just a sensationalist TV programme that is common on early morning daytime TV these days, and bore no relation to the actual truth of the pieces.

I keep seeing people post about their fake watch saying that they took it in to a Rolex expert and they couldn't tell the difference and commented what a great watch it was. It's all BS. You can see fake watches from a few metres away for what they are, even these so called 'high end replicas'. If a Rolex agent really said that, they probably knew exactly what it was and were taking the P, or avoiding a confrontation. I've not commented on fake watches many a time I've been shown them as it sometimes ends up with an argument. Especially if they say their boyfriend or girlfriend bought it them :)) I've also had people kick off saying I know nothing about anything, when it was clearly a fake. That happened moreso than people accepting the truth as they felt humiliated in front of their friends who generally laughed and called them lying bast***s.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I've also had people kick off saying I know nothing about anything

Well, they would be very right then :D

That aside, a "high end" replica for 1/8 of the price of the real deal - if it existed - would be even worse.

Their sole existence would be to fool watchbuyers and cheat them, the argument "I just buy them because I enjoy the design" would make even less sense.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    When I was a teenager I knew an adult who thought the Rolex he got from one of his girlfriends was real. He took it off to show it to me, and when I handled it I immediately could tell it was a fake, even though it had a good weight to it. I had only handled a proper Rolex or two before, but it was so easy to tell because the weight just didn't feel balanced properly. And if the engraving on the caseback didn't give it away, the word "Submariner" on an Explorer II certainly did.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    wuld you like to see the fake omega? i do not wear this. i used to wear it but it broke down! i boght it from the man on a market stall. i could never afford to buy the real omega.
    I am suprised to here that the programe itself was fake! i watched it on coming home from my work. They did say on the bbc that this was true as in the reportings of this story and they arested some body for selling the fake watches.
    Joshua wrote:
    I am suprised to here that the programe itself was fake! i watched it on coming home from my work. They did say on the bbc that this was true as in the reportings of this story and they arested some body for selling the fake watches.

It's not fake, just exaggerated.
    Joshua wrote:
    wuld you like to see the fake omega? i do not wear this. i used to wear it but it broke down! i boght it from the man on a market stall. i could never afford to buy the real omega.
    It would be interesting to see it as a case in point.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Joshua wrote:

Thankyou. I have the photographs. I am sorry these are blured. I will try to take better ones if anyone is interested to see better.

010.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg
    Joshua wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Joshua wrote:

Thankyou. I have the photographs. I am sorry these are blured. I will try to take better ones if anyone is interested to see better.

010.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

Good lord, that's not even a copy of a real model!!! It's got aspects of loads of different watches. a Seamaster on the moon eh
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Good lord, that's not even a copy of a real model!!! It's got aspects of loads of different watches. a Seamaster on the moon eh

That was immediately obvious, and I've seen this a lot with fakes. Are they making obvious mistakes so there's no confusion about the watch being fake? I wonder it seems like they take parts from other models to try to make something different. Apart from that, so many things look off. Has Omega ever made a watch with blue hands on a blue?/black? dial? I can't imagine Omega would ever make a watch where you can't see the hands. The watch also has the common problem of not having the correct proportions. The bezel looks too wide.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

That was immediately obvious, and I've seen this a lot with fakes. Are they making obvious mistakes so there's no confusion about the watch being fake? I wonder it seems like they take parts from other models to try to make something different. Apart from that, so many things look off. Has Omega ever made a watch with blue hands on a blue?/black? dial? I can't imagine Omega would ever make a watch where you can't see the hands. The watch also has the common problem of not having the correct proportions. The bezel looks too wide.
    As far as I know omega have never put blued hands on o black faced speedmaster, which I think is what that is supposed to mimic, but obviously also omega never put seamaster on a speedmaster dial either. It also shows aqua terra style hour markers. Blue hands and screws were meant to be indicative of quality workmanship, obviously having blue hands against a pale dial also increases day light legibility. What these fakes seem to show is that they put enough details on the watch to make some people want it and asthetic accuracy is secondary. It reminds me of the fake armani and versace t shirts that were around some years ago with huge armani eagles and logos all over them when at that time armani was very conservative with his designs with perhaps just a very small logo somewhere.
    I did not no any of these things about the details and thouht it was a copy of a omega watch and not a made up desine. I think it cost ten pounds from the market stall. it went with no battery but no winding.