Walther PPK

Comments

• CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    Hart008 wrote:
    Thanks Jared and Asp
    but this was only for promo shoots right? the one used in CR was all black >?
    sorry for asking again

Correct. DC has never used a stainless S&W PPK (evident by the extended beavertail and dark laser etched text on the slide) on screen.
    I edit, therefore I am.
  • BCFDRayBCFDRay Joppa, MarylandPosts: 373MI6 Agent
    Not trying to stir the pot, and this is off topic from the PPK, but Im looking into getting a P99 for my collection and would rather not get an QA or SA. I found this on gunbroker and it says "first generation" but has S&W import/manufacturer markings.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/630041197

Is this a true "first gen"? What do you all think would be "don't pay more than" price
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    BCFDRay wrote:
    Not trying to stir the pot, and this is off topic from the PPK, but Im looking into getting a P99 for my collection and would rather not get an QA or SA. I found this on gunbroker and it says "first generation" but has S&W import/manufacturer markings.

Is this a true "first gen"? What do you all think would be "don't pay more than" price

Please read post 202, study the images then decide for yourself. Good luck should you decide to proceed with your purchase -{
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    BCFDRay wrote:

Please read post 202, study the images then decide for yourself. Good luck should you decide to proceed with your purchase -{

Yes, I've read through all of that. I don't think I asked my question correctly.
    A PPK can have a blank slide, Interarms, Manurhin, S&W, etc
    Is the P99 the same way? Does the manufacturer/import markings play into it or is the trigger guard just a tell all?
    edited March 2017
    BCFDRay wrote:
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    BCFDRay wrote:

Yes, I've read through all of that. I don't think I asked my question correctly.
    A PPK can have a blank slide, Interarms, Manurhin, S&W, etc
    Is the P99 the same way? Does the manufacturer/import markings play into it or is the trigger guard just a tell all?

The frame is the component part which identifies the P99 variant which will be manufactured and therefore stamped by either Ulm Germany or Manurhin in France. I can only speak from experience in Europe but I would imagine it is possible unnumbered slides may be supplied by Walther in Germany to for example Earl's Repair Service or similar importer in the US. Remember the frame is the component part with factory identifications on the Generation 3 model. In my opinion the example which you posted a link to is a third generation P99 purely by detail specification in the polymer frame -{
  • CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    edited March 2017
    BCFDRay wrote:

It is a gen 1, just imported by S&W. The "Classic" (AKA no trigger system marking) Gen 1 P99 has the AS (Anti-Stress) trigger system, as referenced in the listing's description.

Not sure what price range to recommend for this one, but last I checked, the average price for a NIB gen 1 was between 6 and 8 hundred bucks. The good news is that factory mags have been plentiful for some time now.

http://www.gunfaqs.org/P99FAQ/index.html

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/faq-trading-post/35567-how-check-completed-auctions-gunbroker.html

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/walther-p99-magazine-15-rounds-9mm-steel-matte-black-723364200519.do

Hope this helps.

:007)
    I edit, therefore I am.
    Thank you Gents, most helpful as always.

There really should be a firearms thread on here for showing off and general questions regarding the firearms of Bond.
    Finally brought her home thanks to my C&R license and some overtime. 1939 Walther PPK in 7.65mm
    20170401_185426.jpg
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    BCFDRay wrote:
    Finally brought her home thanks to my C&R license and some overtime. 1939 Walther PPK in 7.65mm
    20170401_185426.jpg
    Very nice 1939 I wonder what stories these little PPK's could tell in their own right?
    Some proababky more intriguing than JB himself!

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    edited April 2017
    This is out of my price range at the moment but an interesting find. I noticed there's a small write up about this set in the last few pages of The Most Famous Gun

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/633585289

Screenshot_2017-04-03-19-17-22.png
    edited April 2017
    BCFDRay wrote:
    This is out of my price range at the moment but an interesting find. I noticed there's a small write up about this set in the last few pages of The Most Famous Gun

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/633585289

Screenshot_2017-04-03-19-17-22.png

Now that is seriously cool find!
    Oh how I wish I lived in the good old US of A sometimes!
    Even if I took a punt by the time is was in the UK and deactivated to a mulch it would be knackered and buggered forever!

Wot he said! :(
  • jbholstersjbholsters Posts: 179MI6 Agent
    there is one up now, but at $769.00 and reserve not met. :s
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/635422234
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    jbholsters wrote:

With its extra back straps too -{
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    jbholsters wrote:
    I saw that one too, I currently have a bid in for a Beretta 418 and on the waiting list for a Spectre holster for the PPK, so my funds are tied up
    edited April 2017
    OK finally it has arrived - very nice just need to change the grips as I prefer black. Weapon itself needs re blacking but it's a good start. Picking up the suppressor was a good result as well.

May get a magazine with no thumb extension with brown grips for early years and swap thumb extension and black grips for later years. Very flexible!!

Why we'll this year feels like my bucket year and I am ticking things off the list!

This

image.jpg

To this

IMG_5159.jpg

I give you

IMG_5160.jpg
    Beautiful Bond44! I have the grips for you whenever you'd like them. May I ask where you got the supressor and the serial number in 123xxx format? I've been fascinated lookin up the history of PPK's
    And where are all these threaded PPK's in the states!? Lol, depending on how much rebluing needs to be done, I've had great success with either of these products for touchups.
    20170406_121853.jpg
    BCFDRay wrote:
    Beautiful Bond44! I have the grips for you whenever you'd like them. May I ask where you got the supressor and the serial number in 123xxx format? I've been fascinated lookin up the history of PPK's

This is the UK and as much as it pains me its all deactivated (officially). I will pm you the serial number (would be interested in what you find out) and suppressor is screw in not screw on. I had the option of the latter but without suppressor it looked a little ugly.

Thanks for the bluing pointer will probably redo the whole weapon at some point. See PM ref hand grips

want to sell the brown grips?
    Looking at the pics, I don't think you will get away with using cold bluing on that. It needs a dip in the bluing tank.
    jbholsters wrote:
    Looking at the pics, I don't think you will get away with using cold bluing on that. It needs a dip in the bluing tank.

I will let you know on the grips when I hear back on the Black ones :D
    Am I bucking a trend here everyone else seems to want Brown!
    Any ideas where you can get a dip in a bluing tank in the south east of the UK?(I am guessing not a DIY job?)
    Also can you change the finger extension on the mags or are they fixed?(again I am looking brown to black)

I've had success reblueing using Philips

DSC_0011.jpg

In fact I reblued a whole ppk/s slide, I've also touched up the ppk holster wear with it.
    I guess most gun shops will know someone to dip it for you, if you.
    the base plate of the mag comes off easily. Being in the States, I've no idea where you can get that done. Where I am at, there are about 3-4 gunsmiths that do it within 5 miles LOL Not a diy job for sure. it will need some surface prep work done. Just google search firearms hot bluing in UK or gun refinishing UK

Here is the first thing that came up when I did it.
    http://www.ukgunrepairs.co.uk/

The problem with cold bluing is that it wears off very fast and has even less surface protection than standard hot bluing. It also isn't as dark of a blue/black finish. Too bad you can't ship it. I could have it done for you in about 2-3 days.
    Being an older gun it should blue really well. Make sure when you find someone that they will get the tank hot. The bluing will come out darker the hotter the tank is. Usually for a few dollars more they will fix any flaws and repolish the sides of the slide. Or in the case of a PPK the whole gun is polished to about 400 grit.
    Thanks guys I will take a look

• 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Having blued firearms professionally for quite a few years I would suggest leaving your PPK alone!

The factory legend on the slide is etched and just walking the part near a buffing wheel will seriously degrade it. Properly refinishing a pistol is very time consuming and even here in the USA only about one out of a thousand "gunsmiths" can do a nice firearm justice. Cold blue products use acid to color the metal and can cause rusting if you're not careful. They also eat away at the original bluing. A nice PPK with honest wear can be wrecked by trying to spiff it up (don't ask how I know this).

Besides, take a look at the pistols used in the films (when they were real and not cast replicas) you will find them pretty well worn. Too bad a nice pistol like that PPK had to be deactivated ... don't add insult to injury. In the end it's your pistol Bond44.
    7289 wrote:
    Having blued firearms professionally for quite a few years I would suggest leaving your PPK alone!

The factory legend on the slide is etched and just walking the part near a buffing wheel will seriously degrade it. Properly refinishing a pistol is very time consuming and even here in the USA only about one out of a thousand "gunsmiths" can do a nice firearm justice. Cold blue products use acid to color the metal and can cause rusting if you're not careful. They also eat away at the original bluing. A nice PPK with honest wear can be wrecked by trying to spiff it up (don't ask how I know this).

Besides, take a look at the pistols used in the films (when they were real and not cast replicas) you will find them pretty well worn. Too bad a nice pistol like that PPK had to be deactivated ... don't add insult to injury. In the end it's your pistol Bond44.

Thanks for the feedback and I do see your point. It's not something I will be rushing into. I think if I fit Black hand grips and finger extension that will tone the colour down naturally (the current colour contrast may be what is bugging me). So I will work on that and see how it looks first then decide if I take further action.

As you say the real weapons used in the film are far from perfect (must be my OCD kicking in)

Great insight though thanks guys

Bond44 wrote:
    7289 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback and I do see your point. It's not something I will be rushing into. I think if I fit Black hand grips and finger extension that will tone the colour down naturally (the current colour contrast may be what is bugging me). So I will work on that and see how it looks first then decide if I take further action.

As you say the real weapons used in the film are far from perfect (must be my OCD kicking in)

Great insight though thanks guys

To be fair my ppk was in a pretty similar condition at one time, but after a good strip down and clean and a touch up it looks like this now
    20170407_190923.jpg

20170407_191021.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

And this is the finish I got on the ppk/s with cold blueing using Philips on the slide

DSC_0013.jpg
    Some sound advice given, but I've found it is possible to touch up a gun to an OK standard. Though some may look at my pictures and disagree :))
    I blue mein guns wiv syrup und Pumpernickel paste....it looks sh*te but tastes good viv und burger! :))