The new Omega SEAMASTER DIVER 300M "COMMANDER’S WATCH"

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Micheal Wilson and Babs Broccoli were at the launch for this watch, as Daniel Craig is both an omega ambassador and the incumbent Bond you'd have thought he would have been there too ?:) I don't think he's busy doing promo for Lucky Logan yet.
    Omega probably invited Craig to the event but he saw the watch and went "F*ck that, I mean I'm uuhh busy".
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Micheal Wilson and Babs Broccoli were at the launch for this watch, as Daniel Craig is both an omega ambassador and the incumbent Bond you'd have thought he would have been there too ?:) I don't think he's busy doing promo for Lucky Logan yet.
    Omega probably invited Craig to the event but he saw the watch and went "F*ck that, I mean I'm uuhh busy".

He was certainly conspicuous by his absence; especially considering he attended a non Bond-related Omega event earlier this year.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    :)) :)) :))
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • BrackleyBondBrackleyBond Oundle, NorthamptonshirePosts: 87MI6 Agent
    I like the box that this comes in, and I like the back of the watch with the Commander rank insigna and 007 logo within.

However as the back of the watch would be on your wrist, the front is just not good at all! Bond himself wouldn't even give it a look!!

Doesn't seem from those I follow on Instagram that anyone has anything nice to say about it.
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    And here is the "Bond Themed" ahem event link....Get yer cheque books out....oh dear! :s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5pehWYpYZ0
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    What the heck was that? Sooooo, lackluster video to go along with an underwhelming watch?
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    And here is the "Bond Themed" ahem event link....Get yer cheque books out....oh dear! :s

• JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Would've loved to check out all those prop displays though. Can see Estrella's mask and Jack from SP, what looks like TF108's and maybe Quantum pin from QOS, BMW's spikes from TND etc

Commanders%20Watch%20Launch%20Props_zpsmvvtzr6a.jpg

Other than the displays, the event doesn't seem to have anything else too special. And really, a new Bond watch is released in 2017 and the Bond cast member they get to attend is Samantha Bond who finished her minor supporting cast tenure in '02? Nothing against her personally but kinda seems like they might have been scraping the barrel for their special guest.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    What the heck was that? Sooooo, lackluster video to go along with an underwhelming watch?
    ppw3o6r wrote:

Donk has a record of posting lackluster and underwhelming videos on AJB 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Wasn't a slight against him at all, but rather a jab at Omega.....
    Higgins wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:
    ppw3o6r wrote:

• ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:
    ppw3o6r wrote:

TRAINERS! STOOPID EGG! :D
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    Wasn't a slight against him at all, but rather a jab at Omega.....

We all know this, but my comment was :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    I'll go against the grain and say the event looked well put together. There's just no getting around the primary colors on that watch.
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    So ... safe to say Omega has a winner with this one? :v
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I think it is just a ruse by you guys. You pretend not to like the watch then all buy 25 and sell them at ridiculous prices!! But I'm not falling for it!
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:
    Would've loved to check out all those prop displays though. Can see Estrella's mask and Jack from SP, what looks like TF108's and maybe Quantum pin from QOS, BMW's spikes from TND etc

Other than the displays, the event doesn't seem to have anything else too special. And really, a new Bond watch is released in 2017 and the Bond cast member they get to attend is Samantha Bond who finished her minor supporting cast tenure in '02? Nothing against her personally but kinda seems like they might have been scraping the barrel for their special guest.
    I was surprised by that too. Would've figured atleast Naomi Harris or another Craig-era castmember would be in attendance.
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:

I was surprised by that too. Would've figured atleast Naomi Harris or another Craig-era castmember would be in attendance.

Seems like they are going overboard to keep away any reference to Bond 25
  • DUBL_OHDUBL_OH Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    I knew Tudor shares design language with Rolex, but this is strait out of the Tudor playbook from a few years ago based on a 31 mm ladies diver no less! The Hydonaut II.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Saw it in the steel when I visited the Omega flagship store in Geneva, shown to me by a very nice blonde lady because she had just gotten it in-store. She called it the new 007 limited edition and she appeared to be impressed with me knowing the name of the watch.
    I didn't really like it but the white on the bezel looks good, IMO.
    For those of you wondering, no, I didn't get an Omega but I did get to see the 42mm PO and 41mm 300 Diver.
    Leaning towards the standard black dial 300 Diver if I don't find a 2220.80.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • BasildonBasildon Posts: 27MI6 Agent
    Surely Omega could have produced something better than this! I think Omega is releasing too many of these 'Limited Edition' watches which cheapen the brand IMO.
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    What I think is crazy is the timing of all this. The more I think about it the less it makes sense. Which makes me think the timing is out. Either EON and Omega mis communicated or Omega got their dates wrong ( or maybe EON failed to deliver) and had to go with it anyway. As we all seem to agree here it's never going to be on James Bind wrist so actually there is no direct linkage other than he wore the 41mm SMP 20+ years ago - just weird if you ask me.

Still I think some will go but if this went the way of the Spectre AT LE I would not be surprised.

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Bond44 wrote:
    What I think is crazy is the timing of all this. The more I think about it the less it makes sense. Which makes me think the timing is out. Either EON and Omega mis communicated or Omega got their dates wrong ( or maybe EON failed to deliver) and had to go with it anyway. As we all seem to agree here it's never going to be on James Bind wrist so actually there is no direct linkage other than he wore the 41mm SMP 20+ years ago - just weird if you ask me.

Still I think some will go but if this went the way of the Spectre AT LE I would not be surprised.

Speaking only for myself, the appeal of a Bond-related watch is it's the watch on Bond's wrist in the film. But I was at an Omega event recently and there were Bond fans with the special editions with the 007 logos all over them ("this is THE JAMES BOND WATCH", one guy proudly informed me as he waved the AT LE on his wrist at me). Didn't know the case diameter or even the names of the watches on their own wrists. They'd just marched into a boutique at one point or another and bought "the James Bond watch." So maybe Omega knows their business.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    I dont think the timing was wrong or any miscommunication. EON would have been involved and Wilson was at the launch

This is purely a cash grab inbetween films when things are quiet.

Indeed this will go the way of the Aqua Terra and will hang around ADs for donkeys, except worse
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Bond44 wrote:

Speaking only for myself, the appeal of a Bond-related watch is it's the watch on Bond's wrist in the film. But I was at an Omega event recently and there were Bond fans with the special editions with the 007 logos all over them ("this is THE JAMES BOND WATCH", one guy proudly informed me as he waved the AT LE on his wrist at me). Didn't know the case diameter or even the names of the watches on their own wrists. They'd just marched into a boutique at one point or another and bought "the James Bond watch." So maybe Omega knows their business.

I think most on this site would agree with your take on what is a Bond watch (I may have once taken that to the extreme when I made a black faced 8500 PO Ti). And I agree Omega does not take such descisions likely it's a big investment to get it wrong. But as we saw with the Spectre AT LE I am not sure the market was entirely sold on such a special watch with limited direct link to the actual film (unlike the production version which was screen used). Throw in the Spectre SM300 screen used and they somewhat screwed themselves in the wider market and I am sure left many AT LE's on the shelf in the same year.

I was nearly one of those and I could not believe how tight it was I saw the AT
    LE on a Bond event on the Friday (obviously trying to ditch them) before the next week when the SM300 came out. I was staggered and thankful I slept on it and bought the SM300 LE in the end but it was a close call. I even know some who cancelled their AT order from the same night/ event.

I think if this one had been truer to the original 2531 or 2220 as an anniversary watch with a NATO thrown in, it would have been more popular and made more sense.

As you say Omega are not stupid and there will be plenty of watch buyers, buying what they believe is 'The Commanders' watch James Bonds very own watch. But maybe that's the difference between a watch collector and a true fan i.e we see screen used as more accurate to being a true Bond watch..

P.S I had a similar experience last month with someone who had the SF 8500 LE with the 007 at the 7 o'clock position and Walther grip dial. When I explained mine was the closest match he had to Google the Christies auction before he would believe the screen used was a Ti. Like I said watch buyer vs fan.
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    edited July 2017
    I was having a quiet Sunday night in so I thought I'd have some fun with Photoshop. Decided to really emphasize the Commander aspect. So, here's the Omega Seamaster 300m "The Commander"...or "The Bumblebee, whatever. :))

The%20Commander_zpsynfg25go.png
    Wouldn't surprise if half of these buyers think DCs has 007 on the second hand :))
    I think this watch will sell, primarily bought by watch collectors, not particularly bond fans, but serious watch collectors love an oddity and this watch is certainly that.
    With regards the at le, I have this watch and it does have a tenuous bond link but I bought it more for its outstanding in the flesh beauty, I'm not a fan of the huge watch boxes and I know bond fans didn't take to this watch but it's unique and I simply love it.
    Ive never seen a watch get such a hammering on social media / forums
    Yeah by bond fans, on my Facebook stream there is a bit of love but not much...... Omega have missed the mark here.
    Bond44 wrote:

That's the impression I got from the Omega boutique.
    It's probably that, sadly.
    JTM wrote:
    I was having a quiet Sunday night in so I thought I'd have some fun with Photoshop. Decided to really emphasize the Commander aspect. So, here's the Omega Seamaster 300m "The Commander"...or "The Bumblebee, whatever. :))

The%20Commander_zpsynfg25go.png
    Actually, orange it up and you will have the Omega equivalent of Eastwood's rootbeer GMT.