Is Bond crying in Thunderball?

When Bond tells Domino of her brother's death, she is visibly shaken, and teary, and he seems to struggle with telling her, and seems visibly moved by her reaction. He puts on sunglasses as he tells her the rest. I was wondering if he puts on the glasses to hide tears of his own?

Comments

• Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    edited August 2017
    Doctor Who wrote:
    When Bond tells Domino of her brother's death, she is visibly shaken, and teary, and he seems to struggle with telling her, and seems visibly moved by her reaction. He puts on sunglasses as he tells her the rest. I was wondering if he puts on the glasses to hide tears of his own?
    Bond's hand shakes a bit as he gives her her brother's Navitimer. An excellent
    As he's explaining the rest of the plan, he hides the true emotional part of his face, his eyes.
    The only trouble with the last part is that he seems to be trying to do his job while being as convincing as he can to this, now, emotional wreck of a woman. To be honest, he seemed to be a bit angry at "...thousands, hundreds of thousands of people..."

At the end of his original tenure, Sean complained that he didn't see any character development with Bond.
    He didn't understand the tone of the fight scenes in YOLT as people are getting harder and harder to kill, starting as early as the faux-widow in Thunderball.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • Doctor WhoDoctor Who Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    Doctor Who wrote:
    As he's explaining the rest of the plan, he hides the true emotional part of his face, his eyes.
    The only trouble with the last part is that he seems to be trying to do his job while being as convincing as he can to this, now, emotional wreck of a woman. To be honest, he seemed to be a bit angry at "...thousands, hundreds of thousands of people..."

I also like how the film deconstructs his wooing of Pussy Galore in the previous film:
    [after making love to the evil Fiona Volpe]
    James Bond: My dear girl, don't flatter yourself. What I did this evening was for Queen and country. You don't think it gave me any pleasure, do you?
    Fiona: But of course, I forgot your ego, Mr. Bond. James Bond, the one where he has to make love to a woman, and she starts to hear heavenly choirs singing. She repents, and turns to the side of right and virtue...
    [she steps on Bond's foot]
    Fiona: ... but not this one!

Totally is a knock at Goldfinger.

I know people say that only the Lazeny and Dalton are the only 'human' Bonds but I think in Thunderball Bond shows a great range of emotions for a macho action guy in the 1960s. Also, his care for Domino, and utter hatred, disgust and disdain for Largo is made very clear.

If only Conner had stayed on board for OHMSS.

I'm no feminist but I do like how the Bond girl saves the day, saves Bond's arse. Very forward for 1965.
    Also, just noticed. Right before he puts the shades on, you can see his eyes are wet. It's very quick, but they're clearly wet.
    Doctor Who wrote:
    Doctor Who wrote:

I also like how the film deconstructs his wooing of Pussy Galore in the previous film:
    James Bond: My dear girl, don't flatter yourself. What I did this evening was for Queen and country. You don't think it gave me any pleasure, do you?
    Fiona: But of course, I forgot your ego, Mr. Bond. James Bond, the one where he has to make love to a woman, and she starts to hear heavenly choirs singing. She repents, and turns to the side of right and virtue...

I know people say that only the Lazeny and Dalton are the only 'human' Bonds but I think in Thunderball Bond shows a great range of emotions for a macho action guy in the 1960s. If only Conner had stayed on board for OHMSS.
    Exactly!
    (The heavenly choir singing being the Goldfinger end title.)
    That scene is among my favourites of the series.
    "Well, can't win them all."
    Connery's foot in TB is like Moore's balls in the 70s. They are both targeted twice. Once by Fiona stepping on him and the other when he is shot there. The one thing that I love is how he suppresses his pain, even going dancing after having a large hole in his leg.
    "You see, I enjoy my dancing"
    (Moore's is when he is shot there as a mannequin by Scaramanga and when he has a missile launched at it by Stromberg)
    When he finds his assistant dead, there is a brief moment of Bond being a bit shocked/stunned by her suicide.

Thunderball is a very, very good film indeed for Bond's character.
    edited August 2017
    Doctor Who wrote:
    Also, just noticed. Right before he puts the shades on, you can see his eyes are wet. It's very quick, but they're clearly wet.
    Screen_Shot_2017_08_08_at_03_14_35.png
    All men cry or tear up, wether you want to admit it or not.
    Even Con.
    In Goldfinger, he seemed like he wanted revenge for the death of Jill.
    Even if I love Dalton (not so much Lazenby), these brief Connery moments have made a much bigger impact on me.
    When Francois (her brother) is first mentioned, Bond stutters a bit before he asks the question.
    He knows that he is more than likely dead. She doesn't know it and Bond doesn't have evidence for it yet but he knows it.
    Doctor Who wrote:
    Screen_Shot_2017_08_08_at_03_14_35.png
    All men cry or tear up, wether you want to admit it or not.
    Even Con.
    In Goldfinger, he seemed like he wanted revenge for the death of Jill.
    Even if I love Dalton (not so much Lazenby), these brief Connery moments have made a much bigger impact on me.
    When Francois (her brother) is first mentioned, Bond stutters a bit before he asks the question.
    He knows that he is more than likely dead. She doesn't know it and Bond doesn't have evidence for it yet but he knows it.

I know, it's just the Connery films are often criticized for Bond being "superhuman" or un-emotional. But I think it shows through, it's just not over the top. I actually don't see much difference between Connery and Dalton in their portrayals. They're very similar IMO.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I've never got that with SC, in a lot of scenes he is visibly rattled, like when he's on goldfingers laser table, or fighting Oddjob, in Thunderball when on the back stretching machine he actually calls for help. Of course his nonchalance is part of his appeal, the death of Paula was a bit underplayed but he seems to hit it perfectly most of the time.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    ...... must.........resist.......
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    Yes you must :p
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,368Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    Yes you must :p

:)) :)) :))
    Higgy-bum, you can't like Sean, Tim, Laz or Danny.
    It's forbidden now :p :p
    some say that I never ru n out of arguments - so I'll try:

How often per movie do the following actors have tears in their eyes?

1. Connery
    2. Lazenby
    3. Craig

and now Daaaalton who was constantly weeping thru most of his movies.

Roger was actor enough to do serious stuff without tears at all and so did Brosnan ;)

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    19101819-5431-28_zps80efdf9f.jpg
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :)) :)) :))

Lazenby had tears in the final scene on Her Majesty's Secret Service, so that counts as his whole tenure.
    He's out.
    True about Moore/Brozzer. They never wept.
    Connery in TB.
    After that he became dehydrated, hence the quick aging between TB/YOLT. :p
    Give me an example of Dalton's weeping, Jony (I think that this is even more offensive than Hibby-Bum :p).
    I'll ignore your hopeless attemps to insult me.
    As for your question:

When Della asks about his previous marriage
    When he's popping the balloon
    When he meets back with Kara in Afghanistan

Basically everytime when he's happy, angry, sad .
    Just watch his movies with that in mind and you'll shout out at least half a dozen times : << Higgins is right!!>>

• superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    I'll ignore your hopeless attemps to insult me.
    As for your question:

When Della asks about his previous marriage
    When he's popping the balloon
    When he meets back with Kara in Afghanistan

Basically everytime when he's happy, angry, sad .
    Just watch his movies with that in mind and you'll shout out at least half a dozen times : << Higgins is right!!>>

Higgins, or should I say, Robin Masters? ...it's called dramatic range:
    1b0644ecb9deca7df965c2f913b4b39b.jpg

Some people just envy TD for his RADA training :))
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    dramatic range tssss.....

It's just horrible and limited acting ;)

:)) It takes a Real Man to act in tights ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    From what I can see from his tights, he's also limited there ;)

:)) It takes a Real Man to act in tights ! :D
    Correct, Sir Roger wore his tights in style in Ivan hoe. -{
    Would we not expect bond to be upset at the death of his wife or someone he loves? I don't think connery cries once as bond he looks upset in Thunderball but no more so than Brosnan when he shoots elektra or when Paris is killed.
    I think that Higgins us such an Alpha male, he just
    Can't imagine men having emotions ? ;)
    Do you mean if he came accross his friends murdered wife and his friend half eaten by a shark he would just kind of shrug his shoulders and say something like " what a rotten bit of luck, well no use crying over spilt milk Felix there's plenty of fish in the sea! Hahaha get it? Shark is a fish! anyhow I'm off trainer shopping now see you around old chap...... Oh BTW I've called an ambulance.... From your phone roaming charges are shocking in the states! Tata "
    edited August 2017
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Would we not expect bond to be upset at the death of his wife or someone he loves?

Just look at Moore and how he handles it at the beginning of FYEO. Or how he does it with Lisl's death.
    That is class and appropriate acting!

And the problem is not how Dalton handles ONE scene, it's how he handles mostly EVERYTHING where he has to show emotion. It's just limited and annoying and reminds me more of a Bollywood buster rather than the often-proclaimed 'hard-edge' performance 8-)

Higgins wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Would we not expect bond to be upset at the death of his wife or someone he loves?

Just look at Moore and how he handles it at the beginning of FYEO. Or how he does it with Lisl's death.
    That is class and appropriate acting!

And the problem is not how Dalton handles ONE scene, it's how he handles mostly EVERYTHING where he has to show emotion. It's just limited and annoying and reminds me more of a Bollywood buster rather than the often-proclaimed 'hard-edge' performance 8-)

There are non so blind as those who will not see 8-)
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Doctor Who wrote:
    Doctor Who wrote:

I know people say that only the Lazeny and Dalton are the only 'human' Bonds but I think in Thunderball Bond shows a great range of emotions for a macho action guy in the 1960s. Also, his care for Domino, and utter hatred, disgust and disdain for Largo is made very clear.

If only Conner had stayed on board for OHMSS.

I'm no feminist but I do like how the Bond girl saves the day, saves Bond's arse. Very forward for 1965.

Goldfinger is often cited as his definitive performance, and it is great, but I really like him in TB.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • kb81kb81 Posts: 1MI6 Agent

Did anyone notice how Bond seemed to ignore Paula at times in Thunderball? Also he seemed to be quite short with her.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,368Chief of Staff

Yes, he does ignore her at times. I get the feeling there may be a missing scene, since Felix has to ask by overdub "Who's the girl, James?" to be told, also dubbed in, "My assistant here, Paula Caplan". It's hypothetical, I know, but I suggest that scene would be more relaxed (eg over drinks) with Bond introducing Felix to Paula and Pinder, and was cut for pacing. Bond might have been friendlier with her then.

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    edited November 2023

For me, I've felt that Thunderball is where Connery started to phoned in his performance, my favorite performance from Connery as Bond is From Russia With Love, very balanced and natural (to which I prefer to my Bonds).

I don't know, but Bond's line deliveries in Thunderball felt forced at times.

Why Bond put his shades on in that scene? Because maybe it's a matter of coincidence, but I don't remember him having emotions in that one.

Had Connery stayed for OHMSS, it would've been a different film, Guy Hamilton wanted to direct that film with Connery and Bardot in the leads, and you have those early drafts of Blofeld being Goldfinger's twin brother, a chimpanzee helping Bond in Piz Gloria, and an Aston Martin turning Submarine to save Tracy from drowning.

No, Lazenby is the Bond for that film.

Do you think the Producers would've exerted a bit more effort in that film, I mean, look at You Only Live Twice, that film was stripped off the qualities and felt lazily made that it just depended on Connery's presence carrying off that film, and I think the same would be for OHMSS.

The thing is, with a new actor in the role, and the Producers felt it very risky, they've made such efforts to create a quality film.

Hah! Dalton, I don't get the weepy statement about him.

If anything, my complaint about Dalton was him being too serious and dour, no charm at all, just purely stoic, no style, no charisma, he's playing Bond as he's playing a generic 80's action character, even McClane from Die Hard at least showed a different side of his character, he showed emotions, with Dalton's Bond, there's none of it.

He's just one dimensional as Bond, I know Dalton's a good actor (for such a Shakespearean, I believe), but his Bond just comes off like an action figure.

His Bond was too much of an overcorrection from Moore's Bond, too serious, fell flat in humor, and just purely dark without any dimension.

Think of The Living Daylights, his portrayal was matched against the tone, and when he conquered it in Licence To Kill, the Bondian quality went to zero.