Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,545MI6 Agent
    I get that articles are going out on a limb by saying M will be in the new James Bond movie, but you had posted that Fiennes himself had confirmed it, but he said nothing in regards to Bond 25. There is a difference...

This story:
    https://www.nu.nl/entertainment/5632010/ralph-fiennes-speelt-weer-m-in-nieuwe-james-bond-film.html

says:
    "The British actor Ralph Fiennes has confirmed that he will play the role of M again in the latest James Bond film.

He told that in an interview during the Sevilla Film Festival, where he was to receive an oeuvre award from the European Film Academy."

It's reported speech. Reported speech is no less valid than a quote. When speaking at that film awards event he said he was doing Bond.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Look, all I’m saying is that the article you posted only said “up next for Fiennes as an actor, he will shoot Matthew Vaughn’s Kingsman prequel, he will play M in the next James Bond film to be directed by Cary Fukunaga,” which makes no differentiation between whether the info came from Fiennes or if it was just the author stating an assumption. The other articles you posted seem to only refer back to that original article...
    edited December 2018
    Look, all I’m saying is that the article you posted only said “up next for Fiennes as an actor, he will shoot Matthew Vaughn’s Kingsman prequel, he will play M in the next James Bond film to be directed by Cary Fukunaga,” which makes no differentiation between whether the info came from Fiennes or if it was just the author stating an assumption. The other articles you posted seem to only refer back to that original article...

You've deliberately excluded text from the story that clearly indicates that what you have repeated is actually his reported speech.

I used a different browser to access the article. This is the whole section of the article dealing with Fiennes discussion about his career at the awards and I have put in CAPITALS, my own emphasis, the key words.
    Before the awards at a public talk on Friday night at Seville’s Teatro Alameda, Fiennes discussed his career and screened for a public audience his new film as a director and actor, The White Crow, about Soviet ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev.

“It became an obsession of mine, I read an account of his defection and it moved me. And also his character, he was a forceful, difficult, driven young man.”

He added, “I didn’t come [to the film] because of ballet, I came because of a young man … [who is] a force to be reckoned with, he was hungry for all aspects of art. That was the thing that drove me.”

Fiennes spoke about different directors he has worked with as an actor. “I’ve worked with many diff directors and I’ve tried to be available to their way of working, their vision. For instance I worked with István Szabó who has a precise way of working, and I’ve worked with Fernando Meirelles who has a loose and surprising way of working, all this is very exciting. As an actor I love to be enabled to discover. The best directors let actors discover, they allow you to try and they gently guide you. Weirdly when I am directing I get a bit insistent. When I catch myself directing other actors, I hope I’m empowering (laughs) I’m still working it out.’

He said he hopes to direct again but hasn’t got another directorial project set yet. “I’m learning as a director. I’ve directed three films and I feel that I’m still discovering very much what it is to be a director. I feel I am still very much as a beginner.”

Up next for Fiennes as an actor, he will shoot Matthew Vaughn’s Kingsman prequel, he will play M in the next James Bond film to be directed by Cary Fukunaga, AND HE ADDED [my emphasis], “then I’ve got a couple of smaller films.”

At the awards event Fiennes said he was doing Bond 25. Fact.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent
    edited December 2018
    Baz Bamigoye says Ben Whishaw will return a s Q in Bond25. He's rarely wrong about Bond.

After "Marilyn", Whishaw will join his 007 colleagues, as Q, in Bond 25, directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6518567/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Tea-two-purring-Patti-LuPone.html

Ben Whishaw himself confirmed it on The Graham Norton Show. https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/ben-whishaw-says-he-will-be-back-in-the-next-bond-film-893351.html

Asked about the possibility of returning to the famous spy franchise, he tells The Graham Norton Show: “I’m told so, but it is so secretive and weird that I can’t tell you.”
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Baz Bamigoye says Ben Whishaw will return a s Q in Bond25. He's rarely wrong about Bond.

After "Marilyn", Whishaw will join his 007 colleagues, as Q, in Bond 25, directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6518567/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Tea-two-purring-Patti-LuPone.html

Ben Whishaw himself confirmed it on The Graham Norton Show. https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/ben-whishaw-says-he-will-be-back-in-the-next-bond-film-893351.html

Asked about the possibility of returning to the famous spy franchise, he tells The Graham Norton Show: “I’m told so, but it is so secretive and weird that I can’t tell you.”

Surprise, surprise......and continuing to do a good job of avoiding any follow-up questions. EON really has any information about Bond 25 in lock down.
    Deep down I think that's a good thing.
    Number24 wrote:

Baz had already said that Fukunaga had told him that.

It's odd that the only online stories I can find about this Ben Whishaw Graham Norton show comment are that Irish site (https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/ben-whishaw-says-he-will-be-back-in-the-next-bond-film-893351.html), which is a Press Association story, and a story on www.jamesbondbrasil.com which has no source but uses a picture it credits to BBC America. Maybe a BBC America press release?

Both stories say that Whishaw's comment is: “I’m told so [that I am in Bond25], but it is so secretive and weird that I can’t tell you.”

Weird? Q is only seen in flashback?

I guess the Vanity Fair interview where Whishaw said he wasn't sure if he was in Bond25 did occur before Fukunaga's comments to Baz.
    I think what he ment is his (Whishaw's) casting in Bond25 is secretive and weird, meaning what he can say and know, not Q's part in the movie itself.
    I just watched the Graham Norton show. There was no Bond comment!
    Strange. I know talk shows are often filed the day before, then edited before it's aired. My guess is that the press stories are from one or more journalist in the audience, then it was cut for time.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Strange. I know talk shows are often filed the day before, then edited before it's aired. My guess is that the press stories are from one or more journalist in the audience, then it was cut for time.

In America, talk shows are filmed the day they air and are rarely edited. I don't imagine this kind of news would have been cut, but I could be wrong.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    edited December 2018
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

In America, talk shows are filmed the day they air and are rarely edited. I don't imagine this kind of news would have been cut, but I could be wrong.

Maybe I missed it, but I find that hard to believe. Whishaw says very little throughout the programme, the chat is dominated by Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda.

My friends tell me that if you google The.Graham.Norton.Show.S24E12.720p.HDTV you can find it on the interweb. Not that I know anything about such things.

I've watched it again. No mention of Bond.
    Whishaw has been interviewed by UK tabloid The Sun. No mention of Bond.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/8031302/mary-poppins-ben-wishaw-adverts-hollywood/
    Someone wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Baz had already said that Fukunaga had told him that.

It's odd that the only online stories I can find about this Ben Whishaw Graham Norton show comment are that Irish site (https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/ben-whishaw-says-he-will-be-back-in-the-next-bond-film-893351.html), which is a Press Association story, and a story on www.jamesbondbrasil.com which has no source but uses a picture it credits to BBC America. Maybe a BBC America press release?

Please note that Ben Whishaw is wearing the same clothes and is sitting in the Graham Norton studio in the photo in the Breakingnews article, even though the article was published on Thursday. Clearly the show is shot on Thursday, so his Bond comments must have been edited.
    edited December 2018
    Number24 wrote:
    Please note that Ben Whishaw is wearing the same clothes and is sitting in the Graham Norton studio in the photo in the Breakingnews article, even though the article was published on Thursday. Clearly the show is shot on Thursday, so his Bond comments must have been edited.

Equally, the journalist could have been sent a promotional image or access to an advance copy of the programme and made up the story.

Interesting that the story is not being repeated. It is the 'Q in doubt' story that is being repeated, if you do a Google search.

google-whishaw.jpg

Only the Daily Mail website, since 20 Dec, has said Whishaw is back as Q. Right at the end of the page, Baz Bamigboye does say Whishaw is back as Q but that could be from his Fukunaga interview.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    You guys know this is a James Bond movie and not the Kennedy assassination, right?
    You guys know this is a James Bond movie and not the Kennedy assassination, right?

I think I saw Badge Man behind Whishaw in the Christmas tree. :))

Yes, this is much more important!
    I think the mysterious man on the grassy knoll will be the next Q.
    Number24 wrote:

As I had thought. Craig now has 8 to 12 weeks to finish preparing for Bond 25. If you Google "Pictures of Daniel Craig on the Knives Out Set" there are other pictures of Craig where he looks quite a bit better than the group photo that many got their knickers in a twist over.
    To me, he looks like he just needs to drop a few pounds to be Bond ready....and 8 to 12 weeks is more than enough time. With a Pro Trainer, good work out plan and proper nutrition he could easily drop 15 pounds by the start of filming. He won't be the ripped Bond of the first three films, he just needs to look trimmer and fit. The make-up, wardrobe and lighting people will take care of the rest.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

As I had thought. Craig now has 8 to 12 weeks to finish preparing for Bond 25. If you Google "Pictures of Daniel Craig on the Knives Out Set" there are other pictures of Craig where he looks quite a bit better than the group photo that many got their knickers in a twist over.
    To me, he looks like he just needs to drop a few pounds to be Bond ready....and 8 to 12 weeks is more than enough time. With a Pro Trainer, good work out plan and proper nutrition he could easily drop 15 pounds by the start of filming. He won't be the ripped Bond of the first three films, he just needs to look trimmer and fit. The make-up, wardrobe and lighting people will take care of the rest.

Mmmmmm. Not sure that I share your optimism or view re how ready he looks. Perhaps it would have been better to have focused on getting ready for Bond rather than squeezing in another film. He'll have plenty of time after 25 to do what he likes. It smacks of arrogance or lack of care to me, particularly given the obscene amount of money he's being paid. Really hope its not part of some hackneyed burnt out Bond shtick (again)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Won’t take him long to get into shape
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

They film the show on Thursday and air it on Friday. The taping I went to lasted 90mins, and a fair bit was edited out. Generally it lasts around 70mins.

Can't imagine why they would edit out B25 news on Britain's biggest chat show, when DC announced his return on America's biggest talk show. Strange.
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
    Red_Snow wrote:
    Can't imagine why they would edit out B25 news on Britain's biggest chat show, when DC announced his return on America's biggest talk show. Strange.

I agree. And no mention of Bond25 in Whishaw's interview this week in the tabloid The Sun, which would not miss a bit of Bond news IMHO.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    edited December 2018
    Why is there speculation about Whishaw returning when it was already confirmed that he was? Or was that not a confirmation?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:
    When is there speculation about Whishaw returning when it was already confirmed that he was? Or was that not a confirmation?

Fukunaga told the Daily Mail on 6 December that Whishaw was coming back as Q.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6469437/Lea-Seydoux-star-James-Bond-director-Daniel-Craig-asked-come-back.html

But, Whishaw told Vanity Fair that he was not sure if he was coming back as Q. That article was published 18 December.
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/12/ben-whishaw-profile-mary-poppins-returns

He is quoted saying: "I’m not even sure if I’ll be in it. I’m assuming that I’m not going to be so it will be a nice surprise if they put me in. I think it’s right he and Daniel need to just figure it out. I’ve done two; I’ve had a good run.”

On 20 December the Press Association wrote a story that was used by a couple of media, that said that Whishaw told Graham Norton on his show, which was broadcast a day later on the 21st, that he expected to be in Bond25, but it was "secretive" and "weird".
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/ben-whishaw-says-he-will-be-back-in-the-next-bond-film-893351.html

BUT, Whishaw said nothing about Bond25 on The Graham Norton show when it was broadcast on the 21st and wasn't asked about Bond25. And while some people believe that Whishaw may have said something that was edited out, the Graham Norton show twitter feed, for example, says nothing about Whishaw and Bond25.
    https://twitter.com/TheGNShow/status/1075698934549544960

On the same day, the 21st, The Sun ran an interview with Whishaw and nothing was said of Bond25.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/8031302/mary-poppins-ben-wishaw-adverts-hollywood/

So, we have one story, which has only been repeated by two Irish media outlets and the Metro, and no one else, while all the other evidence, stories and a TV show, demonstrate that his involvement has not been confirmed by him.

Of course, Fukunaga's comments could have been pre-contractual and Whishaw is doing what his manager told him to as the contract is yet to be negotiated.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    Naomie Harris has confirmed her return via a post on her Instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrvQqe0Fcye/
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Mmmmmm. Not sure that I share your optimism or view re how ready he looks. Perhaps it would have been better to have focused on getting ready for Bond rather than squeezing in another film. He'll have plenty of time after 25 to do what he likes. It smacks of arrogance or lack of care to me, particularly given the obscene amount of money he's being paid. Really hope its not part of some hackneyed burnt out Bond shtick (again)

Agreed. We’ve heard “he’s got a year to get in shape,” then “he’s got six months to get in shape,” and now we’re down to “he’s got 8 weeks to get in shape.” Next it’ll be “he can get in shape during filming!” At some point people will need to accept that Craig is going to look like hell in this film. And sadly, you are probably correct that it it’s part of another tired burnt out Bond plot.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Didn’t we go through all this bull for SPECTRE?
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Agreed. We’ve heard “he’s got a year to get in shape,” then “he’s got six months to get in shape,” and now we’re down to “he’s got 8 weeks to get in shape.” Next it’ll be “he can get in shape during filming!” At some point people will need to accept that Craig is going to look like hell in this film. And sadly, you are probably correct that it it’s part of another tired burnt out Bond plot.

Ah...that's your opinion. IMO, there's just as good a chance that he looks fine. Not like the first three, but good enough. Remember, cinema is all about the illusion...but I guess he'll be taken to task for "not really being in shape" it's just all make-up, lighting and the always dreaded CGI. Just like he doesn't do all his own stunts. By the way, it would more likely be not the tired burnt out Bond plot, but the old Bond plot. :))