Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Gassy Man wrote:
    It's not necessary to kill Bond off. All they really need to do is either choose an actor who physically resembles Craig if even in a vague way -- pale and light hair, a la Hiddleston -- or change the films tonally -- make them more comedic, a la Roger Moore -- to suggest to the viewer that this is the same character but not quite the same way. That's what they've done in the past.

But I don't think contemporary films are really all that concerned about this sort of continuity. The Batman films took a pretty sharp turn after Tim Burton and Michael Keaton left, for example, and by the time Craig is replaced, a new generation of young fans will be coming up who may not be invested in Craig's Bond interpretation.

It's certainly not necessary to kill Bond...but I can see where the idea might have some allure for Eon IF they actually decide to sell - a symbolic closing of the book; the end of an era. Regardless, a new owner will do whatever the hell they want to do, which is both exciting and unsettling. As for subsequent generations of fans, who knows? I think Craig will cast a shadow for a while, whether it's Eon or someone else making the pictures.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Just get Dame Judi in a shower and have it all as a dream ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Just get Dame Judi in a shower and have it all as a dream ;)

:)) Brilliant! Cut, print, move on -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    It's not necessary to kill Bond off. All they really need to do is either choose an actor who physically resembles Craig if even in a vague way -- pale and light hair, a la Hiddleston -- or change the films tonally -- make them more comedic, a la Roger Moore -- to suggest to the viewer that this is the same character but not quite the same way. That's what they've done in the past.

But I don't think contemporary films are really all that concerned about this sort of continuity. The Batman films took a pretty sharp turn after Tim Burton and Michael Keaton left, for example, and by the time Craig is replaced, a new generation of young fans will be coming up who may not be invested in Craig's Bond interpretation.

It's certainly not necessary to kill Bond...but I can see where the idea might have some allure for Eon IF they actually decide to sell - a symbolic closing of the book; the end of an era. Regardless, a new owner will do whatever the hell they want to do, which is both exciting and unsettling. As for subsequent generations of fans, who knows? I think Craig will cast a shadow for a while, whether it's Eon or someone else making the pictures.
    I certainly hope not. That all just seems too needlessly complicated to accomplish the same thing franchises have for decades -- replacing one actor with another.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:
    Killing Bond is a stupid idea. Sensationalist and gimmicky. In fact, the early films used to play on it (FRWL, TB,YOLT) because the idea of killing Bond is so ridiculous. Everybody in the world knows that if you kill Bond, there will still always be another Bond film, so there's absolutely no point. It would be for shock value plain and simple. And it would be a hollow shock indeed. A waste of celluloid. Bond is not killable, hence why the character has been going in one form or another for 64 years. EON please Spare everyone this and get on with it -{

But what IF Eon don't want to "get on with it"...what IF they've had enough...?...wouldn't it be a nice coda for Eon to round off their ownership before selling it on...?

IF they did it before selling, it would merely set the table for the ultimate 'hard reboot,' wouldn't it? The new owner would have carte blanche - as well as the theme song, logo, etc. Merely an academic discussion, mind you...

Any 'new owner' could do what they wanted anyway...remake all the films for a start...have a 'hard reboot' regardless of Eon/DC killing Bond off...as you say though, academic...for now...
    YNWA 97
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    EON killing off Bond before they sell could symbolise their end. It would also force the next owners to start new (which I'm sure would happen regardless) so that nobody is confused that the new films are not part of the old.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I don't think EON will kill Bond off. There's just something about this kill Bond off stuff that really touches a nerve in me. I guess it goes back to my childhood, when my brother, who was ten years older than me would tease me by telling me that he had read that Bond would be killed off in the next film. It all really came to a head prior to the release of YOLT. Esquire Magazine had a cover story previewing YOLT with the cover being a picture of two women in black mourner's garb crying with the headline: "James Bond is Dead". Of course it was playing off of the faked Bond assassination in the film's PTS but my brother showed it to me with sadistic glee and my 10 year old self took the bait hook line and sinker. Prior to the YOLT/death torture, my brother's other attempt to torture me about Bond was playing off the CR spoof by telling me that Connery quit and was being replaced by Peter Sellers, another trauma for a very young Bond fan. Yes, I will be the first to admit that I have been I crazy "needs to get a life" Bond fan since 1964. I'm guessing I'm not alone around here. :s :)) -{ {[]
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    do we know for a fact they're looking to sell? or is this just another rumour?
    and would the gunbarrel and the Barry music go with the filmrights? (I hope so)

you know the end to the You Only Live Twice book is very particular to Fleming. if you've read them all in order it is obvious the Japanese fishing village is his idea of paradise, it evokes the lengthy scuba diving sequences from Live and Let Die and Kissy is similar to the admirable Honey Rider character. The films haven't really dwelled on Fleming's obsessions, but rather have their own set of ideals, and the Craig films are themselves unique. So if we were to end Bond25, not literally with Fleming's idea of Paradise for Bond, but with CraigBond's specific idea of Paradise, what would that be?

Who knows? Craigbond doesn't seem to enjoy anything at all, so his idea of Paradise is a mystery.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Daniel BondDaniel Bond Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    It would be a great story if the villain kills Bond just to find out later that he didn't kill the real Bond but his twin brother. :))
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I found this on James Bond Radio about "The Future of Bond: Implications of a Deal with Apple or Amazon" by Jack Lugo. Agree or not, it's interesting:

http://jamesbondradio.com/the-future-of-bond-the-implications-of-a-deal-with-apple-or-amazon/
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
    It would be a great story if the villain kills Bond just to find out later that he didn't kill the real Bond but his twin brother. :))

Don't give them any ideas! :p
    Number24 wrote:
    I found this on James Bond Radio about "The Future of Bond: Implications of a Deal with Apple or Amazon" by Jack Lugo. Agree or not, it's interesting:

http://jamesbondradio.com/the-future-of-bond-the-implications-of-a-deal-with-apple-or-amazon/

Not a bad article but it isn't much different than what folks post here, mainly questions and speculation.
    It's not surprising that Apple or especially Amazon have interest in Bond. For Amazon it would be their first opportunity to get involved with a big tentpole franchise (FYI, for those who have 4K HDR home TV's, Amazon is streaming SPECTRE in 4K HDR).
    With regards to alleged front runner Warner Bros, I think Warners is pushing for another big franchise to compensate for their DC Universe playing second fiddle (except for Wonder Woman) to Marvel and while Fantastic Beasts was a big hit and three more installments are planned, Harry Potter lies dormant on screen while Warners patiently waits for the Potter stage play to run its course, Daniel Radcliff to get a bit older and JK Rowling to get off her high horse and allow the Potter shows to be adapted for the screen.

It's also interesting in the article, the author speculates much more about MGM being potentially bought out than EON.
  • angelicbondangelicbond Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    I'm not too worried about a tech firm taking over the distribution rights for Bond. Look what amazing work a company like Netflix is doing in original content.

Throughout the years Eon has kept their artistic autonomy no matter the other companies involved, and I have no doubt that whoever takes the distribution rights, they will make sure they maintain that.
    Instagram: mybudgetbond
    Twitter: @mybudgetbond1
    edited September 2017
    The link said much of what we say, but I don't remember much here about how Apple or Amazon can shorten the time between movies. Otherwise it was well written.
    I suspect that the characters who will be most impacted if Apple gets involved are Moneypenny and Q. Imagine all the iThings they'll have to carry around!
    A remake of Thunderball Largo could have an i-patch ? :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    If you kill me, Linux replaces me.
    I trust he won't be more successful.
    But he runs what I run.
    It is "Wine", Mr Dows.
    Alright Mac, you've made your point.
    Do you expect me to spread?
    No Mr Dows, I expect you to sheet!
    a reasonable rate of return
    :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I suspect that the characters who will be most impacted if Apple gets involved are Moneypenny and Q. Imagine all the iThings they'll have to carry around!

at least then with style....

although I do love this very much, the film not the product...

https://youtu.be/VL4iYg-6KSg
    Dalton Rulez™
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

at least then with style....

although I do love this very much, the film not the product...

https://youtu.be/VL4iYg-6KSg
    Sony certainly knows how to advertise.
    a reasonable rate of return
    I hear Apple are making an iCar. Aston Martin should look out :v
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    Also seeing Harris in that clip makes me wish for a one-off Moneypenny film, we already got the one-off Moneypenny comic book luckily.
    Dalton Rulez™
    Also seeing Harris in that clip makes me wish for a one-off Moneypenny film, we already got the one-off Moneypenny comic book luckily.

Actually it makes me more anxious for a new Bond film. As I recall, Moneypenny stopped being a field agent for good reason as I recall from Skyfall.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Thomas Newman is rumored to return to score Bond 25. I know some fans won't be happy if this came out. I personally never minded Newman's score in Skyfall and Spectre and wouldn't be that bothered if he returned. As long as he doesn't recycle some soundtracks again though!

http://omegaunderground.com/2017/09/15/skyfall-spectre-composer-thomas-newman-expected-return-bond-25/
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
    I need a drink :# ...... Lots of Drink if Newman is returning.
  • BondClothingBondClothing Posts: 351MI6 Agent
    Thomas Newman is rumored to return to score Bond 25. I know some fans won't be happy if this came out. I personally never minded Newman's score in Skyfall and Spectre and wouldn't be that bothered if he returned. As long as he doesn't recycle some soundtracks again though!

http://omegaunderground.com/2017/09/15/skyfall-spectre-composer-thomas-newman-expected-return-bond-25/
    Sounds like something they pulled from an IMDb listing.
    Lifestyle guide to the products and locations featured in the James Bond films.
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Damn. If this comes to pass, I probably won't be jumping for joy. Hate to say it, but with this and the constant going on about Madeleine possibly returning I'm becoming more and more indifferent to BOND 25 each day.
    Newman was Mendes' guy. Unless the Bond 25 director has someone he feels strongly about it wouldn't surprise me if Arnold is back on board.
    I hope they get Arnold Back ! -{
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    With EON being more interested in big names than they used to be, Thomas Newman is a bigger name today than David Arnold is.

Then again, EON has held onto David Arnold for other projects, so there is hope.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits