Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    ... Casting would also be a bit more streamlined as the MI6 team (Q,M,, Moneypenny, etc) are already in place....just the bad guys and other roles....
    ...and quite possibly Waltz, Belucci, Seydoux, and Drax the Destroyer are all coming back.
    Speaking of which, the upcoming Avengers sequel (april 27th) is meant to be a Guardians of the Galaxy crossover, for which Mr. Hinx's services would have been required. Maybe they've been waiting on him?

For whatever reason, I just assumed that whatever Hodge and Boyle have come up with would be a standalone story.... but I could be totally wrong. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Bellucci and Dave Bautista return along with Jeffrey Wright as Felix Leiter.
    I hope its a standalone film. As in other then the recurring MI6 characters there's no villains from previous films carried over. Especially Christoph Waltz, he's a fine actor but his Blofeld was such a dull incarnation of an already boring Villain. Instead I hope they've created a completely new adversary so the audience doesn't already have an awareness or familiarity of the villain before the film even starts.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent

That article is insane. Bond 25 is supposed to be released in Nov. 2019 which means filming should start Nov. 2018. Boyle is going to finish pre-production, then film, and do post-production on another film and then do pre-production on Bond 25, which would mean lining up a cinematographer, a composer and do casting, etc. all in eight months? On a blockbuster film, the director usually works for 4-6 weeks with the cinematographer and a sketch artist planning every shot and that's only one part of pre-production. And Hodge is somewhere on a script, but that could take months until he's finished and you can't do scene locations, casting, etc. until you know what the story is.

And what about the distributor who was supposed to be lined up by February 2016 at the latest?

I have nothing against Boyle. He's an interesting choice, but this has all the indications of a classic EON cluster****.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,798MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    ...and quite possibly Waltz, Belucci, Seydoux, and Drax the Destroyer are all coming back.
    Speaking of which, the upcoming Avengers sequel (april 27th) is meant to be a Guardians of the Galaxy crossover, for which Mr. Hinx's services would have been required. Maybe they've been waiting on him?

For whatever reason, I just assumed that whatever Hodge and Boyle have come up with would be a standalone story.... but I could be totally wrong. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Bellucci and Dave Bautista return along with Jeffrey Wright as Felix Leiter.
    I hope its a standalone film. As in other then the recurring MI6 characters there's no villains from previous films carried over. Especially Christoph Waltz, he's a fine actor but his Blofeld was such a dull incarnation of an already boring Villain. Instead I hope they've created a completely new adversary so the audience doesn't already have an awareness or familiarity of the villain before the film even starts.

I have a feeling that Seydoux and Waltz won't be involved, at least heavily involved. My impression is that the main idea for the story came up years ago, long before SPECTRE. That would rule out a story about Blofeld killing Madeleine and Bond going after Blofeld, the story many expect to unfold (I suspect that's P&W's script).
    That's just the feeling I get reading the article, of course. I could be wrong.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    That article is insane. Bond 25 is supposed to be released in Nov. 2019 which means filming should start Nov. 2018. Boyle is going to finish pre-production, then film, and do post-production on another film and then do pre-production on Bond 25, which would mean lining up a cinematographer, a composer and do casting, etc. all in eight months? On a blockbuster film, the director usually works for 4-6 weeks with the cinematographer and a sketch artist planning every shot and that's only one part of pre-production.  And Hodge is somewhere on a script, but that could take months until he's finished and you can't do scene locations, casting, etc. until you know what the story is.

And what about the distributor who was supposed to be lined up by February 2016 at the latest?

I have nothing against Boyle. He's an interesting choice, but this has all the indications of a classic EON cluster****.

It is possible that despite his good track record when it comes to Bond, maybe Baz is just wrong this time.
    Classic EON cluster**** That's pretty subjective. Almost all the box office receipts for Bond films would say otherwise.
    In fairness however, if one does not care for a particular Bond film or films (and you can count me in on that) then I guess you could say that. :) -{
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

I have a feeling that Seydoux and Waltz won't be involved, at least heavily involved. My impression is that the main idea for the story came up years ago, long before SPECTRE. That would rule out a story about Blofeld killing Madeleine and Bond going after Blofeld, the story many expect to unfold (I suspect that's P&W's script).
    That's just the feeling I get reading the article, of course. I could be wrong.

I think Waltz has ruled himself out, I seem to recall. Of course, he wouldn't be the first actor to deny a role (and I think he denied being Blofeld as well in the run-up to Spectre), so it doesn't necessarily mean anything and could just be studio-secret bafflegab, but for what it's worth he says he's not coming back. I have no issues with Blofeld coming back but was underwhelmed by Waltz's Blofeld. I like Seydoux but was underwhelmed by Madelaine, so I'd really have no complaints about seeing either again.
    I love the word "bafflegab". :D
    Is it really in the dictionary?
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    It is!

Well, it's in "The Illustrated International Encyclopedia of Bafflegab", 7th edition.

:))
    It is!

Well, it's in "The Illustrated International Encyclopedia of Bafflegab", 7th edition.

:))

I always liked the Illustrated dictionaries the best :))
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    Man this is chaos! Personally I'll be happy if Boyle turns out to be the director. He's the pedigree director Bond 25 needs, but this script business has my eyebrows doing Simon Templar's. Either Boyle and Hodge have come up with an absolute corker of an idea that EON could not resist, or Purvis and Wade's script is an absolute write off and EON are making a last ditch attempt at something that has some quality before being locked into the Purvis/Wade script. I'd say it's probably a mix of both, but given how close things are getting to the filming date, It does seem a little desperate. This could be interesting...
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Revolver66 wrote:
    Man this is chaos! Personally I'll be happy if Boyle turns out to be the director. He's the pedigree director Bond 25 needs, but this script business has my eyebrows doing Simon Templar's. Either Boyle and Hodge have come up with an absolute corker of an idea that EON could not resist, or Purvis and Wade's script is an absolute write off and EON are making a last ditch attempt at something that has some quality before being locked into the Purvis/Wade script. I'd say it's probably a mix of both, but given how close things are getting to the filming date, It does seem a little desperate. This could be interesting...

Let's hope that more is settled than we know, or that necessity is...
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:

Yes fingers crossed! {[]
    edited March 2018
    Revolver66 wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Revolver66 wrote:

Yes fingers crossed! {[]

Sometimes talented individuals can crank out brilliant work in very short time frames. Some of the greatest songs (many by Lennon and McCartney) were written in less than a half hour. Certainly a screenplay is quite a bit more than a three minute pop song but it's not out the realm of possibility that Hodge with input from Boyle was able to put close to a full draft together in a relatively short period of time in a fit of creativity and inspiration. We also do not know how long this script has been gestating prior to it being pitched to EON. As far as the other issues, Boyle has worked quite a bit with Cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle, who while not as well known as some other past Bond DP's is very well regarded and I'm sure much of the crew in general would come from EON regulars. Locations can be scouted quickly and more convenient and efficient substitutes can also be found. It could happen and it has the potential to be quite good......or not...... but I would lean toward quite good. It does appear that EON flies by the seat of their pants at times but I think a lot of that is a perception do to a lack of real information. Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson are not stupid and are not fools. They have been at this for an incredibly long time and while they make mistakes, tend not to make the same mistakes in consecutive films.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I'm wondering if Boyle's apparent interest in directing a Bond film blossomed when directing Craig as Bond during the London Olympics in 2012?
    The article makes it perfect ly clear that the Olympics short movie kindled Boyle's interest in making a Bond movie. I find it unlikely that Boyle and Hodges challanged the Purvis/Wade script with just an idea. Hopefully they have a script that needs polishing, but the main structure is in place.
    I also suspect the P&W script was a rethread of OHMSS with the return and following death of Madeleine and Bond avenging her. The roots of the Boyle/Hodges script pre-dates SPECTRE and has a more origional plot.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    Personally, I think the Boyle/Hodge situation is a feint and Mendes is coming back.

Looking back at when announcements were made for Spectre in 2014 in the run up to production, firm information comes quite late, not until the summer - see below.

Naomie Harris confirmed herself she was back in the summer, while Ralph Fiennes had confirmed it earlier with his comment about start of production being October (which was wrong).

In 2017, people complained about the lack of info, but really that was to be expected, looking back at when news starts to emerge for the franchise normally.

Looking at what happened in 2014, the Bond25 'who is the director' debate could easily rumble on until May. I suspect a late May film trade paper story will announce that the Hodge script got rejected.

I think May, because that is when the first screen test rumours start to spread. A Boyle movie, if greenlit, will need to start screen testing ASAP for the new characters and that would likely be the May. We have also been told, care of rumours, that pre-production has been postponed to May from its normal March start. If nothing happens during May, I think that is a good indication that Boyle is out.

The longer this news/rumour drought continues, the more likely it is that Mendes and Seydoux and Bautista and Waltz are coming back. Seydoux has said in interviews her first screen test was in August and that was when the first rumour/leak of her emerged.

Below are the months when the rumours first appeared in the press.

February 2014
    Roger Deakins not returning, Logan talks about the script.

March
    Penelope Cruz and Chiwetel Ejiofor rumours.

April
    Mendes talks about Bond24 not being a direct sequel to Skyfall.

May
    Scandinavian actress screentest rumours, Kate Upton rumour.

June
    Kevin Spacey says he is not the new villain, script rewrites rumours, P&W said to return, production delayed, Tom Ford doing DC's suits, Daniel Radcliffe rumour.

August
    Script said to be complete, Lea Seydoux rumoured, Sam Smith rumoured as theme singer, Cara Delevingne rumour, Naomi Harris confirms she is back, iconic henchman rumour.
    Interesting theory of Mendes returning but I don't know if the Boyle story is a "feint"; it may not be true or much ado about nothing but I don't think EON would purposely put a fake story out there to throw the scent off Mendes returning. I wouldn't rule out Mendes returning but I just think EON is being very tight lipped with any details in general. They don't want a repeat of the Sony leaks. Advance word of an allegedly troubled production (true or not) is like blood in the water for sharks. It influences critics (and everyone is a critic these days who has access to a computer) and can hurt box office.
    B-)
    Someone wrote:
    Personally, I think the Boyle/Hodge situation is a feint and Mendes is coming back.

Looking back at when announcements were made for Spectre in 2014 in the run up to production, firm information comes quite late, not until the summer - see below.

Naomie Harris confirmed herself she was back in the summer, while Ralph Fiennes had confirmed it earlier with his comment about start of production being October (which was wrong).

In 2017, people complained about the lack of info, but really that was to be expected, looking back at when news starts to emerge for the franchise normally.

Looking at what happened in 2014, the Bond25 'who is the director' debate could easily rumble on until May. I suspect a late May film trade paper story will announce that the Hodge script got rejected.

I think May, because that is when the first screen test rumours start to spread. A Boyle movie, if greenlit, will need to start screen testing ASAP for the new characters and that would likely be the May. We have also been told, care of rumours, that pre-production has been postponed to May from its normal March start. If nothing happens during May, I think that is a good indication that Boyle is out.

The longer this news/rumour drought continues, the more likely it is that Mendes and Seydoux and Bautista and Waltz are coming back. Seydoux has said in interviews her first screen test was in August and that was when the first rumour/leak of her emerged.

Below are the months when the rumours first appeared in the press.

February 2014
    Roger Deakins not returning, Logan talks about the script.

March
    Penelope Cruz and Chiwetel Ejiofor rumours.

April
    Mendes talks about Bond24 not being a direct sequel to Skyfall.

May
    Scandinavian actress screentest rumours, Kate Upton rumour.

June
    Kevin Spacey says he is not the new villain, script rewrites rumours, P&W said to return, production delayed, Tom Ford doing DC's suits, Daniel Radcliffe rumour.

August
    Script said to be complete, Lea Seydoux rumoured, Sam Smith rumoured as theme singer, Cara Delevingne rumour, Naomi Harris confirms she is back, iconic henchman rumour.

I know it's not your intention but you are really depressing me...the thought of more Mendes melodrama and the girl child Seydoux fills me with dread. Please no more, I'm begging now :007)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    B-) I know it's not your intention but you are really depressing me...the thought of more Mendes melodrama and the girl child Seydoux fills me with dread. Please no more, I'm begging now :007)

Mu-hahahahah!

I think I've exhausted the timeline/google search/IMDB database search.

Only time will tell who is right...
    Someone wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    B-) I know it's not your intention but you are really depressing me...the thought of more Mendes melodrama and the girl child Seydoux fills me with dread. Please no more, I'm begging now :007)

Mu-hahahahah!

I find calling Lea Seydoux a "girl child" strange. She is an experienced actress and 32 years old. Seydoux doesn't look very young for her age either.
    Number24 wrote:
    Someone wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

Mu-hahahahah!

I find calling Lea Seydoux a "girl child" strange. She is an experienced actress and 32 years old. Seydoux doesn't look very young for her age either.

I think there was something genuinely child like about her petulant performance. That combined with that to me and others that i have discussed this withs she appeared young looking, particularly as love interest for Daniel who looked great, but not younger than his years amplified the disparity. For me at least.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Someone wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

Mu-hahahahah!

I agree. While she clearly doesn't look Craig's age I definitely think she looked and acted her age if not a little older.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Someone wrote:

Mu-hahahahah!

I think there was something genuinely child like about her petulant performance. That combined with that to me and others that i have discussed this withs she appeared young looking, particularly as love interest for Daniel who looked great, but not younger than his years amplified the disparity. For me at least.

While I disagree when you say she looks and behaves too young, that's your opinion. But I find it disrespectful to call a 32 year old "girl child".
    edited March 2018
    Number24 wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

While I disagree when you say she looks and behaves too young, that's your opinion. But I find it disrespectful to call a 32 year old "girl child".

Didn't mean to offend. Upon reflection it was needlessly snide of me.
    :)
    Few of us are innocent of doing this from time to time.
    Number24 wrote:
    :)
    Few of us are innocent of doing this from time to time.

Very gracious of you. Thanks.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    I'm sure normal folks deciding to go to a new James Bond film do not worry about who the director is.
    They're hardly auteurial type films, the director is an employee making the film the producers pay him to.
    Only we worry about that, and we're still going no matter what.
    I think I knew who John Barry was, and Ken Adam, Maurice Binder, Bob Simmons, and Richard Maibaum, all before I really thought about who the directors were.
    Someone wrote:
    I'm sure normal folks deciding to go to a new James Bond film do not worry about who the director is.
    They're hardly auteurial type films, the director is an employee making the film the producers pay him to.
    Only we worry about that, and we're still going no matter what.
    I think I knew who John Barry was, and Ken Adam, Maurice Binder, Bob Simmons, and Richard Maibaum, all before I really thought about who the directors were.

True. But, put yourself in Daniel Craig's shoes. Would you want to have another Quantum of Solace situation where you have a last minute director appointment and another script written quickly? For Quantum, Purvis and Wade wrote a script, it was rejected and Marc Forster had a script written which wasn't finished in time. Cue the writers strike.

DC announced he is coming back August last year. Why? He was co-producer on Spectre. He's likely to take that role again for Bond25. Spectre went down badly with US critics. So, why would DC make an announcement? The November 2019 release date for Bond25 was announced in the July, but the 'who is going to play Bond' debate could have kept on going, it's all good publicity.

I think DC announced his return because he felt that, as with Skyfall, a four year gap and a 2019 release date had given him and Mendes plenty of time to go and do something else, while also developing further the two-handed story they had always intended to make, but now only with P&W on-board (as Logan screwed up part one). Come 2017 and DC and Mendes give the whole project more of their time to produce the script along with P&W, to make sure they had something as good as Skyfall and Casino come start of production in 2018.

That's why I think it's a feint and Mendes is coming back. DC was never going to allow another Quantum to happen.
    QoS had the writer's strike, and Craig and the director had to write some of the script themselves.
    It sounds like the Boyle/Hodges script has been worked on for some time and Boyle has been thinking on it for years. I don't fear QoS situation.
    Someone wrote:
    That's why I think it's a feint and Mendes is coming back. DC was never going to allow another Quantum to happen.

I am not dismissing your theory or general idea that Mendes could be back for Bond 25 or whether that would be a good thing or not. I just continue to question what would be EON's motivation to concoct a ruse of this nature? The only people who really care whether Mendes returns or not (beyond EON, et al) are people on this site. I don't think the general movie going public really care or pay much attention to that sort of thing.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Yeah, I don’t think there’s a “feint.” Unless Chris Nolan was going to do it, I agree that the director doesn’t matter to most people.