The Future of Bond

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,339Chief of Staff

I'd still very much like to see the entirety of the TSWLM novel compressed into what would likely be the longest PTS ever - a movie within a movie - which would also be a cracking way to introduce a new face.

Oh dear lord- YES!!!
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Oakvale wrote:
    superado wrote:
    I think the immediate future, maybe the next 15-20 years, all depends on how the producers feel. Michael Wilson is getting on in years though I don't remember reading anything that he wants to slow down or retire anytime soon. Though younger, I don't know if Barbara has entertained the same thoughts. I just know they don't have the same zest for the series as Cubby's though I don't discount their dedication but they just don't seem to have the same mastery over the production as Cubby did.

Then there are the heirs. Doesn't Michael Wilson have children, and aren't there other siblings apart from Barbara from the Cubby and Dana? Depending on the legal predicament within their family on who owns what, I wonder what say the next generation has, or if any of them are even interested. Should the family opt to quit altogether, I predict a huge sale being announced, with several studios, media and entertainment giants and perhaps even big guns from other industries who will try to claim the franchise, but I predict that the most viable buyer will be a studio. I don't know if there are any laws that will allow two separate studios from jointly owning the franchise, if if there is, MGM will be the likely buyer of the whole thing unless they balk because of their own financial constraints at which time there might be a double sale!

If and once this happens, I predict that whatever studio then owns the franchise will preserve as many elements as possible as their purchased trademark will allow, gunbarrel, theme song, etc., but the change will allow significant tweaks in style and execution which would be just as expected in bringing something with a long history up to date.

Michael Wilson has two sons, David and Gregg Wilson, who both work at EON. I imagine if there is any sort of family continuation, it will be with the two of them and Barbara.

Are you secretly one of the Wilson brothers, Oakvale? I have a lot of interesting ideas you may want to hear :D
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • ml94ml94 FinlandPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    I've always been a big Cavill booster...but alas, a confluence of big roles has almost certainly taken him out of the running. As happy as I am that Craig is back, I was really intrigued by the notion of Hiddleston. When the role is finally recast, it will probably not be anyone currently on the radar.
    Agreed.
    "Bond, James Bond"
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    My idea for post-Craig is a radical one, but it hearkens back to Fleming.

Whether #25 is his last, or it ends up being a #25-26 back-to-back movie in two parts, or whatever...Craig's Bond ends up with total amnesia in Japan at the end of his final film.

Bond #7 makes his debut in the next film - a fresh face - trying to reenter MI6 although everyone in the service believes him dead. He's been brainwashed, as in the beginning of the TMWTGG novel, and makes a thwarted attempt on M's life in the PTS. He's rehabilitated through act one, and put on a mission during the rest of the film to prove his worth to Queen and Country...which should be to put an end to whoever brainwashed him and roll up that organization (which might or might not be a remaining tentacle of SPECTRE).

I'd still very much like to see the entirety of the TSWLM novel compressed into what would likely be the longest PTS ever - a movie within a movie - which would also be a cracking way to introduce a new face.

I've been think of the same thing. It would be very interesting. The problem is of cource Jason Bourne, since many in the audience will think they're copying him and not using Fleming. Perhaps it would be better to have Bond rescue another 00-agent from captivity in the PTS, then have the agent try to shoot M later in the movie?
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Number24 wrote:
    My idea for post-Craig is a radical one, but it hearkens back to Fleming.

Whether #25 is his last, or it ends up being a #25-26 back-to-back movie in two parts, or whatever...Craig's Bond ends up with total amnesia in Japan at the end of his final film.

Bond #7 makes his debut in the next film - a fresh face - trying to reenter MI6 although everyone in the service believes him dead. He's been brainwashed, as in the beginning of the TMWTGG novel, and makes a thwarted attempt on M's life in the PTS. He's rehabilitated through act one, and put on a mission during the rest of the film to prove his worth to Queen and Country...which should be to put an end to whoever brainwashed him and roll up that organization (which might or might not be a remaining tentacle of SPECTRE).

I've been think of the same thing. It would be very interesting. The problem is of cource Jason Bourne, since many in the audience will think they're copying him and not using Fleming. Perhaps it would be better to have Bond rescue another 00-agent from captivity in the PTS, then have the agent try to shoot M later in the movie?

It's pure Fleming, who (of course) did it first. Ludlum owed a debt to Fleming in many regards. At any rate, it would only be the PTS. But of course it's an academic point, because it won't ever happen :#
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    It's Fleming, but I fear many in the audience won't know this.
    I still think the start of TMWTGG should be used in a Bond movie by letting it happen to another 00-agent.
    Now that M is a former SAS officer and Moneypenny is a former agent the assassination atempts can be turned into a fine action scene.
    edited August 2017
    Number24 wrote:

That would be of no concern to me; I wouldn't let the ignorance of the unread hamper my vision - otherwise, Eon lets the Bourne franchise (!?) rob them of the chance to deliver one of Fleming's best literary finales (YOLT) to the big screen. To me, that is unacceptable.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    The literary Bond should be respected.

I just don't see why EON couldn't re-do, re-make or re-envision a Bond that has already been made in the past.

YOLT, TMWTGG comes to mind (for me) for instance.

I want to see Mary Goodnight again for instance, so much potential there.
    Dalton Rulez™
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,339Chief of Staff
    I wouldn't let the ignorance of the unread hamper my vision

Line of the week! {[] Well said, Loeffs.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I would also like to see more of the side of Bond where he enjoys himself. I miss seeing him order fine wine and enjoy fien dining, have a fling with a woman where he isn't doing it "for England".

Indeed. I'd love that counterpoint and hope we may get something of it Bond needs to take pleasure when he can, he also needs to class up a bit. I'm hopeful that an older Craig may give us the opportunity.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    Number24 wrote:

That would be of no concern to me; I wouldn't let the ignorance of the unread hamper my vision - otherwise, Eon lets the Bourne franchise (!?) rob them of the chance to deliver one of Fleming's best literary finales (YOLT) to the big screen. To me, that is unacceptable.

I understand perfectly :007)
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

As I've posted here years ago, I've always suspected Robert Ludlum's intention of doing that. The parallels are more evident with the plot of the Bourne Identity novel vs. the movie series, which approximates the events from the ending of YOLT with an amnesiac Bond to Bond's encounter with Pistols Scaramanga, who became the fictionalized version of Carlos the Jackal in Ludlum's book, who took on the reputation of being the best assassin in the world like coincidentally the movie Scaramanga.

To be fair though, whether in the immediate period after Bourne Identity became a bestseller or when the movies adaptations were finally made, EON would not have been to venture beyond the lines of experimentation to put Bond in a prolonged state of vulnerability and unconventionality, at least in how that applies to Bond. The furthest they've stretched beyond conventional territory was Bond's long imprisonment in DAD, the Bond Begins aspect of CR, and his "death" in SF, though still not radical enough to reach what could have been epic proportions to play out the climax of the literary YOLT.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    superado wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

As I've posted here years ago, I've always suspected Robert Ludlum's intention of doing that. The parallels are more evident with the plot of the Bourne Identity novel vs. the movie series, which approximates the events from the ending of YOLT with an amnesiac Bond to Bond's encounter with Pistols Scaramanga, who became the fictionalized version of Carlos the Jackal in Ludlum's book, who took on the reputation of being the best assassin in the world like coincidentally the movie Scaramanga.

To be fair though, whether in the immediate period after Bourne Identity became a bestseller or when the movies adaptations were finally made, EON would not have been to venture beyond the lines of experimentation to put Bond in a prolonged state of vulnerability and unconventionality, at least in how that applies to Bond. The furthest they've stretched beyond conventional territory was Bond's long imprisonment in DAD, the Bond Begins aspect of CR, and his "death" in SF, though still not radical enough to reach what could have been epic proportions to play out the climax of the literary YOLT.

They have that opportunity...but do they have the boldness and the writers on staff to pull it off? The Magic 8-Ball says: "Signs point to 'no.'"
  • ml94ml94 FinlandPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:
    Would be quite interested in what Tom Hughes could do with the role, currently only about 30 so in say 5 years time would be ideal to take over!
    He is solid candidate and reminds me little bit of PB.
    "Bond, James Bond"
    ml94 wrote:
    superdaddy wrote:
    Would be quite interested in what Tom Hughes could do with the role, currently only about 30 so in say 5 years time would be ideal to take over!
    He is solid candidate and reminds me little bit of PB.

Just looked him up on IMDB, and saw him for the first time. I must say, I can see it -{
    Neither can I. His face is to thin and he simply doesn't look masculine enough.
    Let's not forget, Craig in 2001-2003 looked like a bad joke, thinking he would be Bond one day. Even in Layer Cake he is not quite there.

Who knows how some of the actors that were born between 1983 and 1987 or even a bit later will look once they are 38-40ish.

Pierce Brosnan, while already being his suave, Bondian self by Remington Steele, would have been too young in 1987. It would have worked that's for sure but just saying.
    Dalton Rulez™
    Let's not forget, Craig in 2001-2003 looked like a bad joke, thinking he would be Bond one day. Even in Layer Cake he is not quite there.

Who knows how some of the actors that were born between 1983 and 1987 or even a bit later will look once they are 38-40ish.

Pierce Brosnan, while already being his suave, Bondian self by Remington Steele, would have been too young in 1987. It would have worked that's for sure but just saying.

I agree. He looks potentially feasible to me. A lot can change in a few years. Pierce changed a great deal from an almost too youthful and slight figure in GE to the full (if still a bit catalogue model like) package in TND. It also depends upon the trajectory following DC (full or soft reboot)
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    I don't know. I just looked at photos of Craig when he was about 30. He looked younger, obviously, but the basic shapes of his face was just thougher than Hughes looks now. Hughes has that Hollywood, thin metrosexual British model face. Not a nice thing to say and I could be proven wrong in the future, but I doubt it.
    Aidan Turner will be ready in 2022 for the 60th.... and the world will rejoice.
    Dalton Rulez™
    I have a friend on Facebook who has an overweening man-crush on Matthew Goode, and I have a similar reaction to him that you do to Hughes, 24.
    Yes, Hughes and Goode are the same type.
    It's reasonable to expect a new Bond actor on screen in 2022-23. My take on it is this: There is a group of good candidates born in 1980 or a couple of years later: Tom Hiddleston, Clive Standen, Rupert Friend, Sam Heughan and Aidan Turner. The only younger I like is Aaron Taylor-Johnson, born in 1990. I hope and assume more younger candidates will emerge before the next James Bond is cast.
    I wouldn't bet on 2022-2023. This era will drag on until we are all old and retired.
    Dalton Rulez™
    I don't think so, somehow.
    After DAD they didn't know it was Brosnan's last, they just got the rights for CR and they had a hard reboot.
    Now they already know Craig is leaving 5-6 years in advance, plenty of time to find the next actor (or have they allready found him?) and it's been to short time since CR for a reboot. There is no reason to spend more time than 3-4 years after Bond25 to make Bond26.
    I wouldn't bet on 2022-2023. This era will drag on until we are all old and retired.

I'm already retired and at 55 am defo old
    History has shown since 2008 that EON isn't capable anymore of thinking ahead.

I bet half my Bond collection, they have NO IDEA whatsoever who will play Bond next, and they won't even start looking until Craig FINALLY will not be able to bought again for Bond 27. After he has thought about it for two years, naturally. We are going into dark times.
    Yep, that's assuming, speculating etc, but it's based on what we experienced since 2008.
    Dalton Rulez™
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't know. I just looked at photos of Craig when he was about 30. He looked younger, obviously, but the basic shapes of his face was just thougher than Hughes looks now. Hughes has that Hollywood, thin metrosexual British model face. Not a nice thing to say and I could be proven wrong in the future, but I doubt it.

You're right, he's definitely on the PB end of the axis
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,585Chief of Staff
    History has shown since 2008 that EON isn't capable anymore of thinking ahead.

I bet half my Bond collection, they have NO IDEA whatsoever who will play Bond next, and they won't even start looking until Craig FINALLY will not be able to bought again for Bond 27. After he has thought about it for two years, naturally. We are going into dark times.
    Yep, that's assuming, speculating etc, but it's based on what we experienced since 2008.

It's probably true Eon have no idea who will be Bond after Craig...and I doubt they will even care.
    YNWA 97