why was Moore allowed to play Bond in AVTAK at 57?

Comments

• Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Moore on "Good Morning America" promoting AVTAK:

AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg
    Yes, I saw these on YT quite recently.
    He looked good.
    The problem could lye in the make-up, colour, lighting department or the extra high resolution that View is available on these days?
    a reasonable rate of return
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,326Chief of Staff
    I think it was the make-up. Raymond Benson criticised it, too.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    I think it was the make-up. Raymond Benson criticised it, too.
    Roger looks human here, he looked very flat and dull in the movie.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    I think he looks better in AVTAK than he does in OP, slimmer.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    As much as I love AVTAK, I have often wondered why he was brought back to play 007.

OP is understandable, since they were going head to head with Sean. With no such pressure in place for 1985, I am surprised they didn't decide to try a younger actor.

They cast Brosnan's wife in a film, but not Pierce?!? 8-)
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    As much as I love AVTAK, I have often wondered why he was brought back to play 007.

OP is understandable, since they were going head to head with Sean. With no such pressure in place for 1985, I am surprised they didn't decide to try a younger actor.

Pierce was not available at the time.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    As many of you know, I'm a huge AVTAK fan.

But I must ask this - didn't AVTAK tank at the box office? Ok maybe not tank, but it is the 2nd lowest grossing film in the entire franchise, so how was Moore a safe bet?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:

But I must ask this - didn't AVTAK tank at the box office? Ok maybe not tank, but it is the 2nd lowest grossing film in the entire franchise, so how was Moore a safe bet?

Without inflation:

It grossed $152.4m
    Overall it was the worst grossing Bond film of the 80s, $2m shy of LTK.
    In the US it made $50.3m, which was 2nd worst in the 80s but about $15m better than LTK.
    It was the 13th best ranked for BO take in the US for 1985, but 4th worldwide.

With inflation:

It's the 2nd worst performing Bond film ahead of LTK.

-

So overall yeah it didn't do that well, considering how well FYEO and OP did, then there was a $40m lift to TLD.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Yes, AVTAK tanked at the box office - like TLD and LTK did.

I'll not go the easy way of the Timboys and blame marketing, season of the year or competition for that.

In my opinion, you could feel that Team Cubby was obviously tired, exhausted and not very inspired and the attempt to play it 'safe' was obvious.
    Pretty sure the battle of Bond over all the years took substance of all kind from EON's crew.
    And I'll admit that Sir Roger looked very old and tired in AVTAK*and that it clearly was time to move on with another actor -

Pierce Brosnan!

*See Timboys, what I am doing here: Blaming the key element for a lack of success at the BO: The main actor!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Higgins wrote:
    Yes, AVTAK tanked at the box office - like TLD

TLD didn't tank at the BO, it was the 2nd best performing of the decade behind FYEO. You could argue that it didn't perform well at the US BO though - only pulling $1m more than AVTAK...

"Better make that two."
    Worst grossing EON Bonds:

TLD - AVTAK - LTK
    enough said.

• ml94ml94 FinlandPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    edited September 2017
    Firemass wrote:

Roger was still in his peak in FYEO.
    "Bond, James Bond"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Firstly for me Roger could do no wrong -{ :x

He was MY Bond in the cinema and almost a member of the family from his many brilliant tv shows, I'd watch
    as a kid. So I had no problem with him getting older after all He was freaking Roger Moore he Was James Bond !
    ( just my two cents )
    for many with Roger's passing we didn't just lose a talented actor but a childhood friend. :#

792374bfe6e207682dea57597ad7b023--james-darcy-roger-moore-james-bond.jpg
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Yes, AVTAK tanked at the box office - like TLD

TLD didn't tank at the BO, it was the 2nd best performing of the decade behind FYEO. You could argue that it didn't perform well at the US BO though - only pulling $1m more than AVTAK...

Yes, 'tanked' is a relative term. UA could have sunk that budget into a non-Bond project, with unknown results - the corporation was still hurting from the financial debacle of Heaven's Gate and one can understand them being risk-averse at this stage.

Even an under-performing Bond movie was pretty well guaranteed to make money.

He was MY Bond in the cinema and almost a member of the family from his many brilliant tv shows, I'd watch
    as a kid. So I had no problem with him getting older after all He was freaking Roger Moore he Was James Bond !
    ( just my two cents )
    for many with Roger's passing we didn't just lose a talented actor but a childhood friend. :#

Nice picture - I haven't seen that before. I can certainly empathise with that attitude towards Sir Rog. I was a fan since The Persuaders in 1971. As children I would play at being Lord Brett and Danny Wilde and I would always insist on being Lord Brett. My main reaction on seeing Roger as James Bond was 'why is his hair so short?'.
    rog.jpg

( just my two cents )

I wholeheartedly agree!
    Great statement, TP! {[] :x

:)) I too was always Simon Templar or Lord Brett Sinclair
    ( in my head at least ) and still have the ambition. That if
    I'm ever made a Lord ( can only be a matter of time ) I'll
    Choose the title " Lord Brett Sinclair " :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Lord Pussy Sphincter :D Sorry TP I just had to :x
    ...of Greensleeves!
    I find nothing remotely amusing about my name :p
    713792.jpg
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I find nothing remotely amusing about my name :p
    713792.jpg

that would be Higgins then, or so he would like to think :D :v
    RIP Sir Roger -{
    "Bond, James Bond"
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Without inflation:

It grossed $152.4m
    Overall it was the worst grossing Bond film of the 80s, $2m shy of LTK.
    In the US it made $50.3m, which was 2nd worst in the 80s but about $15m better than LTK.
    It was the 13th best ranked for BO take in the US for 1985, but 4th worldwide.

With inflation:

It's the 2nd worst performing Bond film ahead of LTK.

-

So overall yeah it didn't do that well, considering how well FYEO and OP did, then there was a $40m lift to TLD.

I personally take no notice of any figures without inflation, because it is unfair to compare them that way.

To me, only the inflated figures count.

From my point of view, it is such a shame that 2 of my absolute favourite bond films are the 2 lowest grossing ever.

Number of tickets sold would be the most fair way to compare it all, I wonder why there are no figures of those?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Cubby wanted Dalton and others wanted Sam Neill for TLD, is that right?
    "Bond, James Bond"
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I think Sam Neill was against Sam Neill as Bond :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,326Chief of Staff
    Michael Wilson, Barbara Broccoli, and then current director John Glen all favoured Neill, but Cubby Broccoli wasn't convinced. This is from "When The Snow Melts", Cubby's autobiography (written by or with Donald Zec, a journalist friend).
    Barbel wrote:
    Michael Wilson, Barbara Broccoli, and then current director John Glen all favoured Neill, but Cubby Broccoli wasn't convinced. This is from "When The Snow Melts", Cubby's autobiography (written by or with Donald Zec, a journalist friend).
    Thanks.
    "Bond, James Bond"
  • ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    I too grew up watching Roger Moore as a kid. I loved the Persuaders and I vividly remember my Mother taking me and my Sister to see Live and Let Die at Kensington Odeon.

58 years old or thereabouts in a View to a Kill but he still managed just about to do it in style. Proper Legend was Mr Moore :)
    Yes. Considerably!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    ToTheRight wrote:
    IanFryer wrote:
    What I find strange about RM's physical appearance in AVTAK is that he looks younger and more natural in TV promotional interviews that he does in the actual film. I think his hair was a fact here, as by this stage he wore a toupee for movie work. Off-screen he never wore one to the best of my knowledge. More importantly, in an interview format he always joked and laughed, and the wonderful Moore smile took years off him - Clint Eastwood had the same thing going on in his fifties but his film roles rarely allowed him a grin.
    On the Good Morning America spots he did promoting VIEW, he had a similar haircut to his LALD length and looked years younger. From those interviews, I'd say he could have played the role another film or two, actually. He looked great.

Two more films? Moore at 62 in LTK? There's a thought to conjure with... Then again, he'd have gone out the way he came in - with David Hedison as Felix Leiter. -{ And with a storyline culled from the novel Live and Let Die... -{ -{
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

( just my two cents )

my feelings exactly, so glad I had the privilege to see him a couple of years ago in Bath! My boyhood hero -{