why was Moore allowed to play Bond in AVTAK at 57?

124»

Comments

• DavidJonesDavidJones BermondseyPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    Roger always seemed like an English aristocrat, and that is something you can't really age out of.

The Americans liked it, despite machismo being in vogue, with Sly and Arnie etc.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I also think it was Roger's reward for the excellent OP
    Firmly beating NSNA at the Box office. So that Sir Rog
    Would always have the longest continuous run of
    Bond films. -{ ...... well at least more than Sir Sean ! :))
    Watched AVTAK again only last night, I find it very easy
    Watching, and anything with Roger Moore is worth watching
    I recently bought a download of " Shout at the Devil ", can't
    Wait to set aside an evening to re-watch it. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent
    He already had the longest continuous run of all actors by OP, so you know, pointless argument there. The truth has more to do with Moore's continuous bankability, and the sheer fact that, as much as critics and old-time fans didn't seem to like him, there were still audiences willing to see his films.
    "Continuous run of Bond films" Connery had six in a broken run
    and one with another company. Moore had seven with EON. :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    and the sheer fact that, as much as critics and old-time fans didn't seem to like him

You won't find many older-time fans than me, and I like him. However, I also like "Crystal Skull" so I agree with you there.
    You know what I mean. Some of those fans who never accepted any actor beyond Connery as Bond, most infamously Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune. But despite that, Moore's Bonds made money and that's a fact.
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    You know what I mean.

I do? Please explain.
    Barbel wrote:
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    You know what I mean.

I do? Please explain.

I think it is fairly well known that many Connery fans don't care for Moore's portrayal.
    Well, I can only speak for myself, not "many Connery fans".
    Barbel wrote:
    Well, I can only speak for myself, not "many Connery fans".

I like both too, though Roger is my favourite. He has been a major figure in my life - though, as I'm thirty, I wasn't there when his films were coming out.
    I remember him being cast! :))
    Barbel wrote:
    I remember him being cast! :))

From this distance, it seems so right and obvious that Roger should have been Bond, as The Saint (my favourite show ever) was basically Bond on television. Would you agree? Was there that sense of inevitability at the time?
    Definitely. It seemed inevitable after "The Persuaders", too.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    in the german dubbing of the Persuaders, they even referenced that.

"Because you are soon playing the Bond-man"....
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    :)) I've only heard some of the German dub, and it was a lot less serious (not that the English version is terribly serious) and more full of jokes than the original.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    It is one of the rare cases where the german dubbing beats the original by a mile.

But as a teenager I found the humor very ‚old man‘, well that perception has changed after 35 years :#
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Well, this is a point... was OHMSS dubbed in a foreign language? Because I'd have thought both Bond and Blofeld would have benefitted from having different voices attached.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    The same who voiced Connery in Dr. No/TB, also voiced Lazenby in OHMSS, in the original German versions.
  • RevelatorRevelator Posts: 582MI6 Agent
    Moore was retained for AVTAK for the same reason that AVTAK was a bad movie--lack of imagination and a desire to play it safe.
    In retrospect the series was clearly due for a reboot, but Broccoli shouldn't be blasted for deciding to stick with the formula after OP's success, especially against NSNA. AVTAK makes some adventurous decisions in casting, but not much else. Its disappointing performance at the box office was the ultimate sign that a shake-up was in order.
    Agreed. It's too bad, though. Imagine Christopher Walekn opposite Timothy Dalton... Oh, the what-ifs.
    Were the "What-ifs" , originally to do the theme? :007)
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I must be one of the few people who enjoy AVTAK. I think it is a good romp. Yes I think Roger Moore was too old but perhaps people will say the same about Daniel Craig in some years time when he (eventually) appears in the next James Bond film.

I thought he was starting to look a bit old in spectre.
    Joshua wrote:
    I must be one of the few people who enjoy AVTAK. I think it is a good romp. Yes I think Roger Moore was too old but perhaps people will say the same about Daniel Craig in some years time when he (eventually) appears in the next James Bond film.

I thought he was starting to look a bit old in spectre.

Yes, I think Craig is definitely looking too old. I used to think his craggy features would make him look the same, more or less, but no.

Apart from Dalton, of course, all Bond actors looked too old by the time they made their last film. (Although I've always thought Roger looked great until AVTAK.)
    I don't think Brosnan looked too old. He looked fine, just older, but not so much so that you wouldn't believe he could pull it off. And Connery was playing an old Bond, too, so he gets a pass.

And I always thought Craig was too old to play the "rookie" Bond in CR, anyway. He's lucky he's a terrific actor, as he otherwise should've hang up after QOS. That being said, I would've liked it if SPECTRE had been his last, it felt like it was anyway.
  • dr. evan-gelistdr. evan-gelist SheffieldPosts: 398MI6 Agent
    As mentioned before its played safe with Roger like you cant let go of a successful Bond (although far from my favourite).
    "You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
    James Bond- Licence To Kill
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    As mentioned before its played safe with Roger like you cant let go of a successful Bond (although far from my favourite).

I think it's the same reason why they're bringing Craig back. The producers like their Bond actor, and their actor has brought him success, so they think they might as well hang on to him as long as they can even though the actor has had enough and the viewers are more interested in who the next actor will be than anything else (though that's really the media's fault).
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • AndyLGRAndyLGR Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    Who else was in the running when Moore was originally cast?

After Octopussy was there any rumours of potential new actors to play Bond and was his "retention" for a AVTAK big news?
    Revelator wrote:
    Moore was retained for AVTAK for the same reason that AVTAK was a bad movie--lack of imagination and a desire to play it safe.
    In retrospect the series was clearly due for a reboot, but Broccoli shouldn't be blasted for deciding to stick with the formula after OP's success, especially against NSNA. AVTAK makes some adventurous decisions in casting, but not much else. Its disappointing performance at the box office was the ultimate sign that a shake-up was in order.
    I remember listening to an interview with Michael Praed on local radio and he was one of the actors interviewed for the role in the mid 80s. He was saying that when he met the producers they were selling him the idea that they were thinking of setting the next Bond film in the era that the books were written. That would have been a bold move back then.
    From Russia With Love
    AndyLGR wrote:
    Who else was in the running when Moore was originally cast?

William Gaunt, from TV's The Champions.

550313-10150915339245760-1260803169-n.jpg

Ranulph Fiennes

428658-2950827241991-1295331787-n.jpg

and very possibly...

13925596-1373511315998727-3622560712064772240-o.jpg