The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yes Boris has a Big Majority ( If Correct ) and I'm guessing Jeremy Corbyn will soon
    be gone and a new Labour leader contest started. The SNP look to have done
    amazingly well too.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff
    I honestly expected the Tories to win, though not by as much as the polls are predicting.
    Here in Scotland, it was clear that the SNP would do extremely well, and possibly achieve another wipeout.
    So could we end up with The UK leaving the EU, and Scotland then Leaving the UK ?
    As the Tories and the SNP are literally "Polls" apart.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Nice one!
    Yes, that could be the case.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    If that's true I suspect there will be a new referendum - about Scotish independence. If the Tories get a majority to pass the current Brexit deal the SNP and the Scots will have a new and very valid reason to leave the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if Corbyn has to step down, just like you said. He'salways been to the left of most potential Labour voters, but he has also failed to take advantage of the mess in the Tory party.
    The markets like it the value of the Pound is going up and up
    I believe that this means the end of Jeremy Corbyn and Labour will descend into another period of internal chaos.
    And the Tories, what about them? Will it be calmer waters for the Conservaties?
    If the polls are accurate, then yes.
    A very bad election for the Brexit party with no MPs , but they didn't compete with the Tories on purpose to make sure Brexit will happen. I guess their real support is significantly higher.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    The tories have been calmer since Boris took over, mostly because he removed those who opposed him, and all tory mp candidates have signed a charter to support the government.
    There is a lot of dead wood in the Labour Party, they need someone like Kier Starmer or Hilary Benn as a leader, the old rebellious student anti establishment politics just doesn't work for a lot of people.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    I think one of the big question is how the large number of votes for the Tories can be explained. Is it mainly because of support for Boris Johnsson and the Tory politics in general? Or is the main reason simply that people tired of the whole Brexit process and voting toey is seen as the fastest way to make it stop?
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    If that's true I suspect there will be a new referendum - about Scotish independence. If the Tories get a majority to pass the current Brexit deal the SNP and the Scots will have a new and very valid reason to leave the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if Corbyn has to step down, just like you said. He'salways been to the left of most potential Labour voters, but he has also failed to take advantage of the mess in the Tory party.

I doubt that very much mainly because it was the Tories who allowed the first Scottish referendum and won by the skin of their teeth and the Tories who allowed the Brexit referendum which ended in political turmoil. I really don't think they'll put themselves in that position again any time soon.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I think one of the big question is how the large number of votes for the Tories can be explained. Is it mainly because of support for Boris Johnsson and the Tory politics in general? Or is the main reason simply that people tired of the whole Brexit process and voting toey is seen as the fastest way to make it stop?

It’s mainly the latter. The largest swing was in formerly Labour strongholds in the North of England, which were Leave voters in the referendum, and felt betrayed by Labour’s stance on Brexit.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    It's been a joy to watch certain MPs get their
    P45s
    One of the best bits at any election!
    What are P45s?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Thanks!

Good point about the Tories not wanting to have another referendum, Lady Rose. It must be frustrating for the Scots since there's barely a Tory MP in all of Scottland.
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    This is my own perspective. It is a comment.

It would be an education for some to visit a polling station where armed men are standing outside to threaten you to voting for the 'correct' party. It would also be an education for some to have those people telling you that they will be able to tell who you vote for and any vote not for the 'correct' party will result in your arrest or beating. It would be an education for some to see your votes disregarded. (though I believe those who voted to leave the EU have had a taste of my last point).

Those same people may then perhaps place more value in the freedoms they enjoy.

Yesterday I voted in a UK election for the first time. I only did so because I saw many similarities emerging between what I have have seen elsewhere.

The machinery which has tried so hard to overturn the will of the people in a free vote has finally been defeated. The people have spoken - again - and there are now no further excuses to ignore them.
    You have a perspective on democracy and elections that thankfully the rest of us don't have, Joshua. It's a good thing you remind us of this. But I think the similarities between dictatorships and the situation in British politics are fewer and less clear than you seem to think.
    Number24 wrote:
    You have a perspective on democracy and elections that thankfully the rest of us don't have, Joshua. It's a good thing you remind us of this. But I think the similarities between dictatorships and the situation in British politics are fewer and less clear than you seem to think.

Perhaps I wasn't being clear, but I would respectfully ask that you don't attach things to my comments which I don't believe are there. Thank you.

I am speaking about the subtleties of the UK political machine and how it swung behind the establishment in order to attempt to block a democratic vote. That same UK machine could never get away with using rifles or sticks or arrests and torture to get its way, it had to be more devious. This it did by using everything in its power (including large sections of the television & radio & press) to carefully reinforce its message that the people had voted 'the wrong way' and it would be better to vote again so they could correct their 'mistake'.

The people have had three and a half years of being told they are stupid and racist, that they did not understand the question and a host of other issues.

The politicians of the Labour side lied to the people by promising to respect the referendum. They did this in 2016 and 2017, but then told their supporters that they would have to have another referendum. The Labour party - a party which became a party of extremists and anti - Semites under Jeremy Corbyn, dug its own grave. I personally have no sympathy for them.

Perhaps it would be a good wake up call for everyone to have their vote disregarded just once - as the leave voting people of the UK had - it stirs the desire not to let such things happen in the future.

As for those who will continue to denounce the result of free & fair votes, their actions speak more about them as people than any one or thing else.
    I would just like to make it clear that had the people of the UK voted to stay in the EU and the establishment tried to make them vote again in order to get them to change their minds, my attitude would be the same. It is to respect the majority decision in any free vote and in that case to remain in the EU.
    Joshua wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Perhaps I wasn't being clear, but I would respectfully ask that you don't attach things to my comments which I don't believe are there. Thank you.

I am speaking about the subtleties of the UK political machine and how it swung behind the establishment in order to attempt to block a democratic vote. That same UK machine could never get away with using rifles or sticks or arrests and torture to get its way, it had to be more devious. This it did by using everything in its power (including large sections of the television & radio & press) to carefully reinforce its message that the people had voted 'the wrong way' and it would be better to vote again so they could correct their 'mistake'.

The people have had three and a half years of being told they are stupid and racist, that they did not understand the question and a host of other issues.

The politicians of the Labour side lied to the people by promising to respect the referendum. They did this in 2016 and 2017, but then told their supporters that they would have to have another referendum. The Labour party - a party which became a party of extremists and anti - Semites under Jeremy Corbyn, dug its own grave. I personally have no sympathy for them.

Perhaps it would be a good wake up call for everyone to have their vote disregarded just once - as the leave voting people of the UK had - it stirs the desire not to let such things happen in the future.

As for those who will continue to denounce the result of free & fair votes, their actions speak more about them as people than any one or thing else.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my comment. I didn't mean to say you see Britain being a dictatorship or anything like that. But I do interpret what you're writing as saying there are undemocratic elements to the Brexit process.
    From Spiegel online today:

"The Goose have voted Pro Christmas

So, there is a leader who - from day one lied to his country and his Queen.
    Opposition he deals by firing those who disagree with him.
    He derides his parliament as traitors, he mocks MPs who fear for their wellbeing and exposes them to ridicule on social media.

As soon as the media are getting uncomfortable, he threatens with harsh consequences.

People who have been hosed for almost 10 years by his party are being promised the paradise on earth.
    Requests to elaborate, he deflects or replies with further lies.

And the people have elected him.

Integrity, modesty and decency have lost."

Congratulations to Boris Johnson!
    The UK voters have voted until the result fits!

That decent people like Jo Swinson don't regain their seats is a shame and speaks bands for the political climate - in the UK and far away.

But the others have lied, too....

Number24 wrote:
    Joshua wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my comment. I didn't mean to say you see Britain being a dictatorship or anything like that. But I do interpret what you're writing as saying there are undemocratic elements to the Brexit process.

I see. Then you are correct. I do believe that there have been many undemocratic voices at work - working hard to deny the people the result of the referendum. Some have done this openly, other have been in the shadows. It would be interesting to see if any one in the UK who voted for Brexit or anyone who didn't but believe in honouring the result of a free vote has to say. If they agree with me or not.

I have just watched an interview with Lisa Nandy (Spelling?) from the Labour party. She is the only person I have heard that has spoken sense & truth from her party. I hope that interview is able to be seen on the internet as I recommend it.
    Higgins wrote:
    Congratulations to Boris Johnson!
    The UK voters have voted until the result fits!

Excellent article, thanks Higgins.
    It's not all of the UK voters, though.

Election-map-2019-Results-mapped-across-UK-2213703.jpg

Scotland mainly voted for the SNP, who have an overwhelming majority in our parliament.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Election 2017: Jeremy Corbyn is Labour's Secret Weapon
    Election 2019: Jeremy Corbyn is the Conservative's Secret Weapon...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Thanks, Barbel,

here is the mentioned article.

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/grossbritannien-wahl-boris-johnson-hat-alle-gegner-besiegt-kommentar-a-1301152.html

And this brings it to the point as well - not sure if it's been posted before.

A decade of the Tories:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjUWX6S8iYU
    (that should have been a speech in parliament by the opposition btw :)) )

Anyhow, I am happy that the decision is made. Took far too long.

Yes, it's a good thing the decision is finally made. The market is reacting well to the election, probably for the same reason. If the wthing ends in a hard Brexit anyway I suspect this will change.
This discussion has been closed.