New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,765MI6 Agent
    edited September 2022

Moore and Brosnan had the "car salesman gene". They were very good at and possibly even liked promoting their movies. Dalton didn't really have that. Ironically Lazenby was a car salesman, but didn't do nearly as good work promoting his movie.

• Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent

Moore or Brosnan didn't look like they could kill someone, and yet they had successful runs. Actually, Craig was as different to Brosnan as possible, which was a wise move. I expect a similar move now.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent
    edited September 2022

He was actively terrible in fact! He slightly childishly grew his hair and a beard because they'd told him they wanted him to look like Bond (which I do think was a bit weird of Eon), so they took him off the US press tour, and he then slightly weirdly paid for a rogue tour of the States of his own. He also appeared on Simon Dee's chat show in the UK but went off on a random tangent naming US senators he thought were complicit in JFK's murder(!), which actually assisted in the downfall of Dee's chatshow!

He was, to put it mildly, a massive liability and I could well believe that Broccoli and Saltzman were happy to be rid of him.

edited September 2022

I wonder who of the most popular candidates now are more the opposite of Craig? Jacob Elordi is very tall, dark haired and conventionally handsome. Rege-Jean Page is dark-skinned and comes across as the "lover, not a fighter" type. Based on the pendelum theory, who do you think they'll cast?

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,126MI6 Agent

Callum Turner could well be an inspired choice, right age, height, will connect with a younger audience. A slightly leftfield, outside of the box choice (as opposed to the usual names mentioned). It's a very interesting process at the moment as I just don't think there is a natural successor, stand out candidate, like there has been on some previous occasions.

Callum Turner does have a look of Hoagy Carmichael about him from certain angles so for that alone, I would be unhappy if he were chosen.

I've said it before but the producers and directors always do a good job of taking an actor and turning him into James Bond. Put the actor into the James Bond world on screen and the audience generally accepts that person as 007. I saw this film still of Callum Turner and thought it was a good example. He cold easily be James Bond relaxing with a lady friend in that photo.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent

Not wanting to offend anyone here but a lot of names suggested on here don‘t even have that certain Bond-look to them…

The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    edited September 2022

I think most people here agree with you, but disagree on who doesn't have the Bond look. 😂

• Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent

In "Masters of the air", set in the 40s, Callum Turner looking like a young wartime Bond.

• Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent

I like Will Poulter, but I didn't see his name on the list. Quite a good actor...also, young enough to be a "young James Bond"

"I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,742MI6 Agent

I'll just throw out another name. How about Fabien Frankel? He currently plays a Knight, Sir Criston Cole on the Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon. Frankel is 28 and from a physical build and "type" perspective IMO he resembles Aidan Turner. Ironically, Frankel is the son of the late British actor Mark Frankel who was a name that came up as a Bond candidate back in the 90's.

Frankel has a very Mediterranean look. Some like it, and I guess others don't. Personally I feel he looks too generic Mediterranean. I suspect if someone put him in a line-up with nine actors from Spain, Italy, Egypt etc. I'd be hard pressed to pick him out. Hos voice is good enough, but not as deep and striking as f.ex. Aidan Turner's. I'd rank him as good enough to be considered, but not a standout. That's just my first impression, nothing more. Please keep posting suggestions!

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent

I think the key to casting Bond is the old line, "Men want to be him, women want to be with him." It certainly defined Connery for generations of filmgoers.

Obviously it's a subjective assessment. But I believe it guided Barbara Broccoli in casting DC. In her eyes he had an effortless masculinity (helped by his eyes and deep voice) that appealed to her. And the fact that tens of thousands of men have tried to dress like Craig for more than a decade proves that lots of guys wish they could be him.

When I look at the under 40 British actors I see very few with that kind of natural charisma. And the guys who have it are either unavailable (Chris Hemsworth) and/or aging out of the window quickly (Aidan Turner). That's simply my subjective opinion. I just look at someone like Poulter, recently mentioned, and think, "Nah."

I honestly don't envy Eon here.

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

I'm still routing for Cavill but I think he would need to slim down to be Bond. Lay off the weights for a bit.

I would have loved Luke Evans but I think he's just a fraction too old now.

Henry Golding could be a very interesting choice.

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,543MI6 Agent

Frankel is a pretty boy, I don't think he'll be Babs choice for Bond. He's 28, so he's a bit too young too.

• SaskSask Posts: 12MI6 Agent

Variety posted a long list with candidates 1 week ago.

Henry Golding

Richard Madden

Regé-Jean Page

James Norton

Henry Cavill

Dev Patel

Andrew Garfield

Tom Hardy

Daryl McCormack

Joe Alwyn

Jacob Elordi

John Boyega

Michaela Coel

Jamie Dornan

Jonathan Bailey

Lashana Lynch

Will Poulter

Ṣọpẹ́ Dìrísù

Idris Elba

Jodie Turner-Smith

Aaron Taylor-Johnson

Marwan Kenzari

Nikesh Patel

Kedar Williams-Stirling

Emily Blunt

Matt Berry

Joseph Quinn

Riz Ahmed

Jason Wong

Alfred Enoch

Nicholas Hoult

Delroy Lindo 

Pierce Brosnan

Fabien Frankel

https://variety.com/lists/next-james-bond-henry-cavill-james-norton-rege-jean-page/fabien-frankel/

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,217Chief of Staff

Hi Gymkata, yes you're using that phrase correctly and yes, they surely are.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,126MI6 Agent
    edited October 2022

You're avin a larf me ol mukka. Takes more than a bitta Rabbit.😉

"Any of the opposition around..?"

I think they forgot Barack Obama and Dame Edna ..... 🤣

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,515Chief of Staff

Personally, I don’t want Cavill anywhere near Bond 😖 he’s too much like a walking wardrobe 👀

Although BB & MGW obviously saw something there for him to get down to the last two last time round…

And I’m with you on the idea of Henry Golding being an interesting choice 🍸

YNWA 97

His nationality is also a big problem in my opinion. English should always be a Bond actor's first language. Unless some Norwegian actor somehow, sometime gets considered. Then I'll delete all of these posts and then do a Liz Truss.

edited October 2022

It's not enough that the actor can speak English without an accent. English must be his first language! It's not logical, it just is. 😁

I don't see Harket as Bond. His nerves would be showing.

• 00Stirl00Stirl Posts: 52MI6 Agent

My choice is Dan Stevens. Forget Downton Abbey, although this introduced him to USA audiences, along with Sir Lancelot - Night at the Museum, watch 'The guest'. Brilliant action film with twists and turns. Seems personable genuine guy and right age for role.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

Nic Hoult has physical presence and charisma by the absolute bucket load.

At least Harket shouldn't det his hopes up way too high.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent

My wife would very much like to see Hoult in the role.

I’ve always been intrigued by Dan Stevens who is an absolute chameleon and one of the best actors on these lists. I watched A Walk Among the Tombstones for an hour before I realized he was one of the leads. IRL Stevens is a petrolhead which would be a refreshing change: to have a Bond who genuinely loves fast cars.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent

I quite liked the nod to that in Spectre when Bond identified the model of Rolls Royce from a great distance in the desert.

Mind you, I guess it could quite equally have been a nod to the Roger/Sean Bond being a general know-it-all! 😊

• 00Stirl00Stirl Posts: 52MI6 Agent

Lol, I understand. In my defense, I have been recommending Dan from when he WAS young enough.

Whoever they pick they should get a move on 🤔

I've been thinking about what the producers said about Bond being in his thirties. The way I interpret it they're talking about it's not really about the age of the actor. It's about looking like someone in their 30's, someone who looks experienced and still young. He can be in his twenties or 40's, the main thing is looking thirtysomething.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

That could be true for a film or two, but they then run the risk of hiring a young-looking 43-year-old and having him "hit the wall."