New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

1171819202123»

Comments

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 142MI6 Agent

Jacob Elordi does a really good English accent........Just saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYiQZKLEAW4&t=7185s

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 2,636MI6 Agent
    edited July 1

Krysty Wilson-Cairns and David Farr. You couldn't go wrong with either. Why it takes EON two years (4 since NTTD wrap-up) to process these decisions, is beyond me. Obviously much to think about following the devisive in many quarters, less than favourable reaction to NTTD and popularity of MI and Top Gun Maverick.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 19,992MI6 Agent

Elordi seems like a better candidate for Bond the more we learn about him.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 25,637Chief of Staff

Less than favourable reaction to NTTD? 🤔

Where do you get that from?

YNWA 97
    Currently Head of Station C: Canada 🇨🇦
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,679MI6 Agent

Looks the part for sure (especially if they decide to go younger).

I wonder if his height (6'5") could be an issue?

(Please ignore the quote)

If you google images of the cast of Euphoria he's a head or a little more taller than the rest, but I don't think it's a problem. It mainly means casting taller henchmen and that shouldn't be too difficult. The way I see it his height creates more possibilities than problems. Now they can cast actresses who are close to six feet tall, something I suspect that was an issue with Craig.

• GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,161MI6 Agent
    edited July 6

I must concur. If you want to say 'polarizing' or 'divisive', that's fine. I'll buy that. To say 'less than favourable' as a blanket statement is flat out wrong. I know we live in our own little echo chamber in here but I've gotta tell you, NTTD is popular enough out in the main world.

edited to add:

83% by critics on Rotten Tomatoes

88% Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes. I take this with a grain of salt but it aligns with what I've heard from the general people I know who like the film.

A- Cinemascore. I put more stock in this than the Audience Score noted above.

You guys keep bashing the film and more or less claiming that everyone hates it. You could not be more wrong.

Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 33,457Chief of Staff

James Bond isn't English..... just saying, too.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,679MI6 Agent

Nothing like a 6'5" secret agent to stand out in a crowd.😁

James Bond movies have always been very realistic in every way, especially when it comes to agent 007 being descrete and secretive in every way. We also remember Jaws, an other assassin who didn't stand out in a crowd at all. 😁

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 2,636MI6 Agent

Perhaps grammatically I could have been clearer or worded it differently, but from my experience the people I've spoken too (colleagues, friends, family, fellow Bond fans and you tubers are divided in their opinion of the film, especially the ending. Of the first three categories of persons mentioned above, I've not met one that is happy with the ending, (most actually strongly oppose it). Whereas every single person I've interacted with loved Top Gun: Maverick. Just saying. I fully accept many people love and enjoyed NTTD.

I've never said I or everyone hates it. I do not like Daddy Bond or the ending (Iove the tension, score, lair and stairwell action here) and I've said on more than one occasion there are some great and truly classic parts of the film, in every aspect.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 25,637Chief of Staff

With respect…your sample poll is probably small in comparison to how many people have actually seen the film…so “less than favourable” probably doesn’t stand…divisive, no question - but extremely difficult to quantify…most of the people I’ve spoken to at work liked the film but were more puzzled as to how Bond can continue than the actual death of Bond…🙂

YNWA 97
    Currently Head of Station C: Canada 🇨🇦

Whereas most of the people who I interact with (family, friends, and coworkers) loved NTTD. A couple had issues with the ending but most people thought it was all a nice capper on the Craig run. As I've said before, it'd be a boring world if we all liked the same things, so nobody is right and nobody is wrong here...enjoyment is subjective.

I just think that people need to be wary of falling into the echo chamber mentality where a sampling of 20+ people (like this board) becomes 'everyone'. Even then, I'm not the only person on this board that thinks that NTTD is a borderline great film so it's not like there's 100% consensus here either.

Also, this isn't a criticism of you specifically. This 'everyone hates NTTD' blanket statement has been pervasive on this board since the film got released.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,647MI6 Agent
    edited July 7

I realize many people loved NTTD and it made a ton of money in a bad market. But at the end of the day filmgoing is a subjective experience. I dislike the film very much and my opinion is not affected by external criteria. That might be a minority view, but if even a quarter of Bond fans feel that way it’s far from insignificant. So I think Red Kind is correct in his observation. There is no way to truly quantify it.

We can quantify if a movie is a success, but our own opinion of a movie is an individual matter. By this I mean I'm right about how good the movie is! 😉😂

edited July 7

😁

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 33,457Chief of Staff
    edited July 8

I don't like the ending, as I've said before. It prevents me from enjoying the film, which has many good points (and many bad ones, as again I've said before). But, and it's a big but, my opinion is an unusual one. Not many go back with the series as far as I do- I remember George Lazenby being announced as the new James Bond, for example. I therefore realize that I am very much in the minority and do not expect Eon to be making films to suit me.

It doesn't stop me grousing about it, though!

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,703MI6 Agent
    edited July 23

Having seen 'The Gray Man' today, I'm now gunning for Ryan Gosling as Bond.

As my short review here (with no substantial spoilers) suggests, 'The Gray Man' is a film which is knowing about NTTD as it works out its own place in the market for action genre fare. It's spent a week in cinemas, I believe, ahead of streaming on Netflix from this weekend:

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/comment/1047233#Comment_1047233

Here's a link to Gosling's interview with Sky News on the Bond connection and his own prospects for the part:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/ryan-gosling-on-bond-bollywood-and-babies-on-set-12657016

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 50 years.

Ryan Gosling is very talented, but in my opinion American movie stars shouldn't play James Bond. As a (very) general rule Bond movies should make stars, not hire them.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 142MI6 Agent

He's Canadian - which makes him from the Commonwealth, so BB would consider him. However, The Gray Man was bland and uninspiring. It was basically a very subpar 'Bourne meets Fast & Furious' film. It was boring and wasted its cast. Ryan Gosling should be a Leonardo DiCaprio elite level actor. He shouldn't be wasted in material like this. (Even the great Ana de Armas was boring to watch.) It felt as though the Russo Brothers learnt all the wrong lessons from the Bond films. It was as if they were trying to imitate DIE ANOTHER DAY! Why?!

Anyway......Jacob Elordi should be the next James Bond

I know Gosling is Canadian. Even though Canada is a part of the Commonwealty he's seen as an American movie star. That's only natural since Canada is a huge country on the north American continent.