New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    edited October 2022

That's definetly a risk with young-looking 40-year-olds. My theory is probably best applied to mature-looking actors in their twenties. That's why I think Jacob Elordi still has a chance.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent

Jacob Elordi continues to strike me as a contender for the same reason. He could easily pass for a man in his early 30s.

If he gets the gig, I want to say for the record that the London tabloids will nickname him "Jordi."

• jon_1ukjon_1uk Posts: 672MI6 Agent
    "some men are coming to kill us, we're going to kill them first"
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    edited October 2022

In days gone by (Roger, Tim, Pierce) he would be the perfect age for casting of the next James Bond, but I think they'll certainly go younger this time round.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • 00Stirl00Stirl Posts: 52MI6 Agent

Here's a thought.....if you go young, you could end up with a Bond that may well last longer....but, let's face it, a change is good after a while don't you think? At the mo, they mainly leave as too old is excuse. Would hate to see a young Bond not get the same following as those before so gets ditched early! Not got a problem with introducing a 'younger Bond' as part of intro like Indiana Jones (ok not that far back) but maturity comes with age.....we should know 😁🎂

Please remember that Craig's third movie was about Bond getting old. We want to avoid that.

• SaskSask Posts: 12MI6 Agent

The Variety Bond list is a lot short if you remove the 35+.

Regé-Jean Page

Dev Patel

Daryl McCormack

Joe Alwyn

Jacob Elordi

John Boyega

Jonathan Bailey

Will Poulter

Ṣọpẹ́ Dìrísù

Aaron Taylor-Johnson

Kedar Williams-Stirling

Joseph Quinn

Alfred Enoch

Nicholas Hoult

Fabien Frankel

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

Jack Lowden or Leo Suter would be my two choices… think either would do a good job.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    "Any of the opposition around..?"

Yes, good shouting. 😉

But I think they're good, not very good, in my opinion.

Yeah, they should be on the list of consideration.

Seems unlikely. Rumors were flying about him after he collapsed on stage earlier this year. He also left the production of Stars at Noon due to personal reasons late 2021.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

Joe Cole from Peaky Blinders, The Ipcress Files and Gangs of London fame?

Yes. Considerably!

Personally I don't see James Bond in Joe Cole, but of course that's often a matter of personal tastes and opinions.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

I’m not sure either but he’s putting together a strong portfolio of roles to be fair.

Yes. Considerably!
    edited October 2022

I liked him in The Ipcress File. He for that role very well and he delivered a really good performance. I just can't see him as James Bond.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

Unfortunately here in the USA, the Ipcress Files series is only available on AMC+ which is a subscription service and I am paying way too much already for TV.

• Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent

True. But remember the youngest Bond ever (Lazenby, 29) was changed pretty quick. Even if they cast someone in his early thirties, he can be changed after 3-4 movies if needed, only he would be in his early forties and not fifties.

• Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent

I can't either, same as I could never see Michael Caine as Bond, no matter how much I admire him as an actor.

If I use logical reasoning I think the next Bond was born between 1-1-1987 and 1-1-1992. Assuming the next movie will be released in November 2025, the next Bond will be either almost 39 (if born on 1-1-1987) or almost 34 years old ( if born on 1-1-1992) during the release. In other words, the next Bond is currently a British actor between 30 and 35 years old.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent

I don't disagree, but I think he could have done it if it had gone that way. Looking at him in something like Get Carter where he's cold and professional... he wouldn't have been perfect for it perhaps but he could have made it work.

Conversely I do remember watching Connery in The Russia House and thinking 'why isn't Michael Caine playing this?' 😄

Found this article and their top 5 is:

SOPE DIRISU

CHARLIE HUNNAM

AUSTIN BUTLER

PAUL MESCAL

NICHOLAS HOULT

Full list with the actors, their age and the taux de probabilité:

TOM HARDY, 45, 25%

HENRY CAVILL, 39, 35%

RICHARD MADDEN, 36, 51%

CHARLIE HUNNAM, 42, 42%

TOM HIDDELSTON, 41, 0%

IDRIS ELBA, 50, 0%

CILLIAN MURPHY, 46, 0,07%

REGÉ-JEAN PAGE, 34, 35%

DEV PATEL, 32, 20%

HARRY STYLES, 28, 20%

OLIVER JACKSON-COHEN, 35, 30%

DONALD GLOVER, 39, 1%

JAMES NORTON, 37, 27%

JOE ALWYN, 31, 36%

PAUL MESCAL, 26, 40%

SAM CLAFLIN, 36, 5%

SOPE DIRISU, 31, 60%

NICHOLAS HOULT, 32, 40%

TOM HOPPER, 37, 15%

AUSTIN BUTLER, 31, 42%

https://www.ecranlarge.com/films/dossier/1356365-james-bond-qui-remplacera-daniel-craig-apres-mourir-peut-attendre

• boundjamesboundboundjamesbound Posts: 10MI6 Agent

Eon has already decided on Regè-Jean Page imo, he fits all of the criteria laid out in interviews. His exit from Bridgerton season 2 was a huge story, perhaps trying to avoid a Remington Steele situation? Then you have the Roger Moore/Saint connection.

edited November 2022

I remember back in 2005 when several members here were convinced Clive Owen was the new James Bond. One posted that the script was clearly tailor made for him. I'm not saying you're wrong, because you could be right. But in my experience it's risky being absolutely sure about these things.

• boundjamesboundboundjamesbound Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

Very possible he's another Bond what-if. There's a bit of smoke there for sure though.

RJP recently banned any mention of Bond from his interviews.

"But while period dramas can catapult a career from bit player to major star, there is always the danger of being trapped by its success, so that from that point on people only want to see you in costume, not contemporary life. Page is wise to the pitfalls, so much so that an email arrives in advance of our meeting from his agent detailing the things we cannot talk about. For starters, returning to Bridgerton is off the menu (season 2 aired without him in it, much to fans’ chagrin), as are any of the intimate scenes from the series, or rumours about James Bond (he has been regularly linked as a favourite to follow Daniel Craig into the role)."

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent

I was high on Page coming out of Bridgerton. But he didn't make much of an impression on me in The Gray Man. His role was definitely less interesting than the ones given Gosling and Evans, but he didn't emit much star-powered wattage in any case. He still needs a Layer Cake to prove he can carry the Bond franchise IMO.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

I was also high on Page, however he has underwhelmed me as an actor. A far superior choice and someone edging his way to the top of my list is Aaron Pierre. He just worked with Barry Jenkins in The Underground Railroad and will again in a Lion King prequel. He also will star as Malcolm X in a Disney+ series and has a film with Saoirse Ronan coming out and (if that is not enough) will lead a Netflix action film and appear in the MCU. Talk about a star on the rise!!!

Just listen to that voice of his!

• DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent

Tom Hardy is surely too old? I really hope it isn't him - not sure I could watch if it was.

My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6