New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

I’m feeling more and more like Taylor Johnson is heavily in contention. It’s starting to remind me a bit of the lead up to Craig in 2005.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,842MI6 Agent
    edited January 2023

Why can't I remove these posts? (Not that there's anything wrong with Miles Messervy's post, but ...)

I wouldn't mind if ATJ is the next James Bond. But based on my memories from the time leading up to CR when I was a fresh member here I'm sceptical. It's of course possible the first "Actor Actorsen has screentested and inside sources in EON say he has/will sign on any minute now" rumours is the true one, but (sobbs) I've been hurt before.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,743MI6 Agent

Although there were a few random names thrown around back in '94 I don't remember anyone but Pierce being seriously in the frame for it.

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

Just watched Gangs of London and have to say was impressed with Sope Dirisu..potential Bond imho a younger Idris(only better)

Yeah, he’s high on my list too.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

excited to see him in the trailers for Slow Horses Season 3.

edited January 2023

I haven't seen "Gangs of London" or any of Sope Dirisu's acting, but I hear really good things. In terms of age and hight he's pretty damn near perfect. The elepehant in the room is of course skin colour, but all I will say is that you take a risk both hiring a white or non-white actors these days.

Here are some photos I found of him:

Didn’t know he is going to be in Slow Horses (favourite show)… Jack Lowden is another potential imho… be great to see them both in same show

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

I don't buy it. They don't have a script, director or holding company (B26 LTD) yet.

How on god's green earth would they have already cast their Bond and shot a gunbarrel sequence? Sounds like a load of nonsense to me.

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,547MI6 Agent

Why do they need to have a script, director or holding company to shoot a promotional gun barrel sequence?

I think after killing Bond off they need to go to town on promoting that Bond is back and this is the new Bond. Makes perfect sense to me.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

How do we know they don’t have a script? I would imagine there is at least an early treatment in the works. There could even be a director attached. Probably not, but we can’t rule it out.

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,547MI6 Agent

We know Purvis & Wade are working on the reinvention and have been for months now and we had indications from BB and MGW that the villain will be important and it would seem logical to me that in sketching out that villain and their relationship with MI6/Bond you'll inevitably be creating a story that is going to at least be the basis for a treatment.

I want to see a gun barrel teaser with the strapline, "heroism never dies". And they need to play on the fact that its the 7th actor playing 007.

Do any of you good people have a say top 3 candidates who they want for the role..mine are(all under 35 as don’t think they will go with older) Leo Suter…Sope Durisu…Jack Lowden..imo all seem ideal for a younger Bond.

I'm far from sure, but maybe:

Jacob Elordi

Nicolas Hoult

Rege-Jean Page

• JTBondJTBond Posts: 114MI6 Agent

Not exactly the most promising update from Barbara...

“No, we haven’t even started casting yet. There isn’t even a script.”

edited February 2023

That's good that she seems to be confirming that they want the script first before casting Bond. Makes sense; it's how it worked last time and it's how it works with pretty much every film role! Thanks for the link.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,505Chief of Staff

Thanks, @JTBond.

I belive her on casting. Hopefully and realisticly she means there isn't a FINISHED script. Most likely there is at least one treatment for a movie plot, possibly also an unfinished script too. At least that's my opinion.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent

I watched Bullet Train the other night which wasn’t the worst film I’ve ever seen. Aaron Taylor-Johnson was in it and was decent enough but I never thought even for one second that he could play James Bond.

Yes. Considerably!
    edited February 2023

Daryl McCormack was one of the nominees for the 2022 BAFTA Rising Star Award. He grew up in Ireland and his mother is Irish and his father is African-American. Many will know him from Peeky Blinders, but he also stars with Emma Thompson in last year's "Good luck to you, Rio Grande". He is 30 years old and 6'2'' tall. Interesting. I'll post photos later.

Slightly off topic but currently watching Timothy Dalton in the Yellowstone spin off 1923. I think he’s about 76 now but looks really good. I’ve always thought he had a lot more to give to the franchise so if they can kill Bond there’s no reason why Dalton couldn’t come back as M for example.

Yes. Considerably!

I know him from Peaky Blinders and also Bad Sisters. Watching him in both I never even remotely considered him as a potential Bond.

Yes. Considerably!
    edited February 2023

Yes I saw him on BBC Breakfast a few weeks ago and thought he's got to be on the Bond list. He's perhaps more on the... cute side than ultra manly perhaps; but he's a big, tall strapping guy, and is certainly good-looking, as well as doing very well in the acting stakes. I'm sure they'll be looking at him.

I'm at a disadvantage since I haven't seen Daryl McCormack in Peeky Blinders. I just saw him when I looked at BAFTA Rising Star winners and nominees and found him interesting. I don't think "Oh, he HAS TO be the next James Bond when I see him, but I do find him an interesting candidate and in my opinion EON should at least consider him.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7580109/

I really have a hard time believing that zero work has been done on a new film. NTTD was completed in 2019. Here we are 4 years later and the role of Bond is vacant. Fall 2025 suddenly seems to be the absolute best case scenario for a new film. I just don't understand the lack of updates and how quick Barbara is to brush off any dialogue related to the films. This is their cash cow but yet you would think they loathe making these movies.

She didn’t say no work has been done on it though: just that they don’t have a script yet, by which she may well mean not a finished script.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,505Chief of Staff

@Gymkata - I refer you to Imaginary Conversations post 2105 on this exact subject. 😃

edited February 2023

I’m not sure they’d sit on having an actor for too long; one would imagine the risk of leaks is very high.

edited February 2023

I believe we'll get some sort of announcement this year. Whether it be a release date, director or the new Bond. I agree that there has to have been some preliminary work done thus far. To what extent, who knows. I do know that if I were the producers of the most famous movie series of all time I'd be a tad more engaging with the fanbase regarding updates and such instead of constantly trying to portray that there hasn't been any work done.

We get snippets all the time from them, plus lots of updates while they're making the actual films: more so than other big movie series release. And if you're not going to believe them when they do give a little update, what difference does it make anyway?