New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 258MI6 Agent

I have never really been blown away by Hoult as an actor. I would love to be proved wrong.

I still think it's a shame that Timothee Chalamet is America. I see a young 007 in him. He reminds me a little of Christian Bale and maybe even Dalton. The set photos of his new Martin Scorsese-directed perume advert give me 007 vibes.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,801MI6 Agent

Although it could be a negative: Eon might insist he packs in the racing as they don't want him getting injured! 😁

I think that's a big reason you don't see Fassbender in many movies now: the insurance companies won't insure him because of his racing.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent

People complained how Craig's personal style ruined Bond as a fashion icon. Just imagine what Tim could do for 007! 🤣

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,990MI6 Agent

Timothee Chalamet is a great actor, but completely wrong for Bond.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,763MI6 Agent
    edited April 2023

I know it’s a name that’s been thrown around before, but I feel like Richard Madden probably has to get a look from EON. Will be interesting to see how his new Spy series on Amazon Prime is received. Amazon has obviously spent a ton of money making it, and they’re promoting it like crazy. One doesn’t need to strain to see the synergies there…

Madden is the right age, the right nationality, and although he’s well-known, he’s never quite broken through to the level where he’s clearly too big to take on the role. Amazon obviously has faith in him, and if that faith is rewarded, they might be rather insistent that he’s in consideration.

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

Madden is smaller than Craig..5.8/5.9.. think their going for someone over 5.11/6ft.. I could be wrong!

I think the same tbh…Think Aaron Pierre could be an interesting choice!

I think Daryl McCormack may get a look too; Rising Star Bafta nominee.

I tend to agree with this take. I guess my point was more about what might be going on at the top as opposed to what I’d like to see. Obviously just rank speculation on my part, of course.

Definitely!… but my first choice would be Leo Suter or Sope Dirisu.

Yeah, I think Disiru, Hoult and Taylor-Johnson are in the ‘most likely’ camp for me at the moment.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,343MI6 Agent

RENFIELD kinda tanked, so when it turns up on streaming in three weeks, take a look at Hoult's fight choreography in that. He's ready!

Agreed that Fassbender demonstrates the “it” factor there, although that scene is also an example of great filmmaking (in an otherwise average film, as I recall). But yes, something like that, akin to Dalton in TLD, would be very welcome in my book.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,343MI6 Agent
    edited April 2023

Yeah, in that regard I'd liken his casting more to the Roger Moore/Pierce Brosnan model - a popular TV actor getting the call from Eon. He's well regarded in THE GREAT.

And his supporting work in "art films" like THE MENU and THE FAVOURITE (both highly recommended, btw) are the kinds of things that seem to attract the Broccolis' attention. His willingness to hop around genres and mediums might be a plus, if the thinking is swinging toward "Bond makes the actor, not the other way around." He's got loads of experience but no baggage.

How much money did DCs movies make before he was Bond? I haven't checked the numbers, but my guess is less than Hoult's. There was Tomb Raider, but generally his movies were pretty small.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent

I remember when X-MEN: FIRST CLASS came out one of the reviewers said she would have liked watching a two hour movie about Erik Lensherr, Nazi hunter. I would have preferred that, too.

I also forgot about "Elisabeth".

Many of the movies Craig was in before CR we're lauded, as is the case with Hoult so far. The movies Hoult has been in that weren't as profitable as expected, was that down to Hoult? Not as far as I know. The way I see it Craig proved himself as a really good and versatile actor before he was cast as Bond. Some of the movies were commercial, some narrower. Some made a lot of money, most didn't. The same can be said of Hoult today.

Funnily enough I happened across the set of this film in the Surrey hills a couple of weeks ago! :)

So the X Men films made money despite Hoult but the Avengers movie made money because of T Johnson? I’m not quite seeing the logic there; also Bond has always been the draw, not the actor. No one was excited at the idea of Timothy Dalton getting the big star lead finally: they wanted to see the new James Bond, because they trusted who the Bond producers would pick.

edited April 2023

Mad Max - huge hit, also popular with critics.

Deadpool 2 - a hit. Hoult was only in it for a short time, but he was IN it. 🙂

And The Favourite was very much lauded by the critics.

Are we thinking Eon have chosen any of their Bonds because they were established box office draws? I’m not sure of the logic here.

Yes, that's why the movie keeps hiring Hoult: he's box office poison. 😂

Going with an unknown is safer than going with an actor who has a vulture on his shoulder.

I'm not saying he's necessarily box office poison, I'm just saying that he's not a proven draw. Yet.

I'm not sure these two statements make that much sense together. An unknown isn't proven either, so I'm not seeing the issue.

I don't think Taylor-Johnson is a draw either. I don't think Kick Ass 2 went very well, The King's Man barely made back its budget, Bullet Train did okay but nothing huge.

I’m pretty sure the only true qualification is Barbara Broccoli is significantly impressed when she sees the actor re-enact the FRWL hotel scene. Which, I suppose, is as it should be.

edited April 2023

And these are better than Hoult's, are we saying? Because I'm not seeing the huge difference that you are; and Hoult got good notices too. This list isn't staggering. And based on the idea that a film needs to make 2.5x its budget back (I don't know if that's true but it's what they say), you're being a bit kind on some of those.

But I should say again that it doesn't matter. Craig wasn't exactly starring exclusively in blockbusters before Bond either: some were decent, some were bad, many weren't really aiming to make megabucks. But he usually got good notices for everything, and it had no impact on him becoming Bond.

Nicholas Hoult doesn't put anyone off seeing a film, because I very much doubt he's well-known enough to do that. But like Taylor Johnson, and indeed Craig before him, he has a wealth of experience in movies, and is interested in pushing himself now and then in more interesting roles: and Eon will be far more interested in that.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,259MI6 Agent

Any thoughts on Luke Bracey?

Could have a bit of a Lazenby vibe about him? Right age and height.

I think he may have been highlighted elsewhere but haven't seen any mention of him here (recently at least).

"Any of the opposition around..?"

The trick is to find an actor who's on the verge of breaking out as a star, and signing him at the right time.

He has had many stabs at it which have never taken off though; I am slightly wary of his slight lack of star quality.

Not to me. That means Aaron has been picked up by another franchise in a lead role. It sounds more like Hoult. If the reports are correct, Hoult was the only real rival to Pattinson to play The Batman. In other words another film company considers Hoult a potential movie star (and not "box office poison"), but didn't pick him. That means EON can make Hoult a real movie star.

That's fine, I won't bring up the box office poison thing again. But what about the rest of what I say my post?