New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,990MI6 Agent

It's the same thing with me. I think both are good actors who has the potential to be James Bond. In my opinion Hoult is the better option, but I wouldn't fire a space rocket back at Sweden (or some other slight over-reaction) if ATJ gets the role.

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

And everyone’s friends again😂(this is said in lighthearted,good nature btw)

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,801MI6 Agent

This writers strike seems to be coming in now too, so I wouldn't expect any change soon.

Lately the forum has been quiet... too quiet. So it's great to have a spirited debate like the one Gymkata and I had. I look forward to more discussions like that in the future. To quote a union representative on TV: "There's no disagreement, just a discussion". 😁

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,343MI6 Agent

Re: the proven box office/risk assessment/Amazon of it all:

Amazon makes 1.29 billion dollars A DAY as of 2022. Sure they want Bond to be successful, but a BILLION dollars at the box office - SKYFALL money - is less than 1/365 of what Amazon makes in a year. And they have to split it with Eon 💸 Are they THAT nervous about the movie's box office? Financially, one could argue that the series has never been under less pressure to perform.

In fact, I'd maybe look at Amazon's involvement as a potential source of terrible business decisions for the franchise. Bond's best-case box office is Monopoly money to Jeff Bezos.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,763MI6 Agent

They need Bond to succeed more for optics than for financial reasons. Bezos wants to win the streaming wars. In order to do that he needs Prime to be viewed with legitimacy, which attracts new projects and talent. The LOTR show was damaging for them in this regard. If they’re viewed as screwing up Bond too—a franchise that’s as close to bulletproof as anything in show biz—then the perception will be catastrophic.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 258MI6 Agent

Paapa Essiedu is the new bookies favourite overtaking Aaron Taylor-Johnson

I’ve really enjoyed his performances that I’ve seen, in The Capture and The Lazarus Project among them; I don’t know if he gives the string alpha vibes so I don’t see him as Bond as easily as some of the others, but he is very good so maybe.

It is a bit of a shame that Austin Butler is American. He could have been a good Bond. He even mentioned wanting the part

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 157MI6 Agent

Aidan Turner is my #1 pick - unfortunately I believe he'll be too old by the time EON get their arses in gear. If only NTTD had released in 2019, we may already have our seventh Bond by name.

• Glidrose007Glidrose007 Posts: 70MI6 Agent

It won't be Hoult. He's way too feminine looking. The smart money is still on ATJ.

I don't have a much money, especially smart money. 😁

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,421MI6 Agent

I'm just not smart

I may lack smart money for the same reason. 🥴

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent

Austin Butler could use the Mississippi accent for 007 that he learned for "Elvis" and now seems unable to shake. Southern fried Bond!

The other big available role in Hollywood is Superman. A number of the candidates for that role have begun leaking out. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the names mentioned also appear in the running for 007. They are Jacob Elordi, Nicholas Hoult, Tom Brittney and Andrew Richardson.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,752MI6 Agent

The latest rumors and chatter for casting the next Superman film appears to be a young American actor named David Corenswet as Superman and Hoult as Lex Luthor. I think the role of Superman is easier to cast than Bond. Cavill was an excellent Superman IMO. Was sorry to see him get the sack.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,259MI6 Agent

I hadn't hear of David Corenswet but just Googled him. You can see where they're coming from if they go with him. He's Cavill 2.0

Hoult as LL is a big no from me.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,752MI6 Agent

If Corenswet was from the UK he looks like he would be Bond material. Saw Corenswet in the limited Netflix series "Hollywood" which was a fictionalized story of post WWII Hollywood and he was good in it. You are right, he sure looks like Cavill 2.0 just taller (6'4") with more of a Connery Dr. No build.

Personally I have no problem with an American playing Bond.. long as can do an English accent.. apparently Cubby offered the role to Eastwood and Burt Reynolds.

edited May 2023

I want the actor to be British or at least from the Commonwealth. I know it's not strictly rational, but our relationship to James Bond is often about feelings anyway.

Henry Cavill was not a good Superman. He barely had any dialogue in his films. Not really vote of confidence from the writer or director. He was too wooden. Hence why he'd be rubbish as 007. The scene with the hotel receptionist in UNCLE should be sexy. However even one of the most beautiful men on the planet makes that sequence feel so lifeless.

Meanwhile someone like Paul Mescal is not as good looking as Cavill but is a stronger actor who can sell a character like Bond

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,660MI6 Agent

Jack Bannon who played Alfred In the Pennyworth TV series would be a great choice. He handles both action and romance scenes very capably and at 32 is the right age.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,343MI6 Agent

I'm an American and I don't want an American playing Bond.

The franchise history is full of near-miss disasters, and Cubby constantly floating Americans for Bond, imo, takes the cake.

Cubby's American choices (Adam West, Burt Reynolds, John Gavin and James Brolin) - every last one of them would have been a franchise-killer.

In fairness to Cavill as Superman, when has Zack Snyder ever coaxed a nuanced, multilayered performance out of an actor? Even Amy Adams (one of our best) was one note in those films.

Amy Adams was completely wasted in those films (in the sense of not being used to her full potential!).

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,259MI6 Agent
    "Any of the opposition around..?"

Guess I’m in the minority then😂… but let’s all remember it’s an actor playing a part so is nationality should be irrelevant as long as he can play the part well..again just my opinion!

His nationality