Watching the 007 movies together?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff
    Please continue! There really were various reasons why members couldn't join in yesterday. I can't offer to help, having family here, though will pop in when possible.
    Can I suggest a less than serious, good laugh type movie for Monday?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Sorry, I had strong doubts about continuing this at all and yesterday I took the well deserved bath :#

Higgins is out.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited July 2020
    Higgins wrote:
    I personally have cancelled 2 appointments to attend yesterday *and it seems that we can all agree on Bond, but the other fields don‘t hit the common interest of the board.

Sorry to hear that you rearranged your personal plans around that viewing slot, Higgins. It's because I know that 'real time' arrangements are a commitment that I gave a day's notice that I wouldn't be in it, and I know others had given their apologies too. Kudos to you for running with it anyway!

-{ -{ -{

Very unusually for a Friday evening, I had a clashing real-time work commitment, and I now face a concentrated workload for over a week before returning to some personal flexibility for a few weeks.

I share your suspicion that although some of the films listed will have some appeal for some people, it was the Bond pictures in particular that had 'real time' box-office pulling power across the board.

For me, another factor (though not the reason why I couldn't turn up yesterday) is that I don't know all of those other movies as well as I know the Bonds, so I'd probably find it easier to watch/re-watch them, when able, in my own time and post about them afterwards in a thread. For some of those other movies, threads already exist anyway, e.g. the Matt Helms, and they'll be ideal places for me to go for that sort of engagement.

That unstickled 'To Catch A Thief Thread' thread could be used, for example, as a place for 'after viewing' posts... just as some folk who weren't able, or wanting, to watch the Bond films 'live' were making welcome 'after'-posts (and/or 'before'-posts) in the Bond viewing threads.

That said, I'm sure 'Operation Kid Brother' would have drawn a massively packed 'real-time' house, and I'd still love to see the results of any Gymkata research on OK Connery Daniela Bianchi gifs! :)
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    I agree, please do continue this Higgins! We can definitely make these work even after the Bond rewatches have finished—don’t give up!

I would’ve loved to join in with the latest one but I didn’t have a copy of To Catch A Thief. I second what Barbel said—maybe we should aim for a more light-hearted film. Also, while classic older films might be, well classics, maybe we should look at more modern (last 30ish years) ones that could appeal to more members and bring in those that may have not been a part of these before?
    Higgins wrote:
    I personally have cancelled 2 appointments to attend yesterday...

I gotta ask, why did you do a silly think like that?! You set the date and time of it, you could have set it for a date you’re free! As the boss of these watches, we’ll happily work around your schedule :)
    I should have worded it better: 2 appointment requests have been denied because I did not want to let everybody else down.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent
    Instead of a group watch how about a group podcast chatting about Bond films - maybe take them in order of release - those 2 podcasts posted were really interesting and more people may be happy to chat rather than have to view the film and post at the same time. I’m not sure how many people can attend a podcast meeting at one time though?
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I think we need to check who will be taking part inthe group watches beforehand. I also think we should check how many of the movies on the list are available on Youtube and post the links. I also would like to thank higgins for his work and time. -{
    The problem with YT are the ads which make a consistent viewing almost impossible

Some movies on youtube have ads, others don't. Most of the old movies I've watched during Corona I watched on Youtube, and all of them only had comercials at the start. That problem is easily overcome.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    Higgins you are a surefire candidate for AJB007 Agent of the Year award for your initiative in organising and promoting these GroupWatches. You definitely encouraged a sense of Virtual Community in the Socially Isolated times!

as for what to watch next...
    What about Climax Mystery Theatre? did you all decide against that? You still got one (Cardsharp Jimmy) Bond adventure left to watch.
    ...or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? I'm a character in that one, so I got a special interest.

...or the IPCRESS File?
    Having just finally watched that one myself the other week, I gotta say it's a seriously good spyfilm in its own right, witty without being silly like so many other spoofs of the day, and of couse it's a Saltzman production with a lot of the regular crew behind the scenes.
    Saltzman deliberately set out to launch a spy series that was opposite to Bond in every way, thus cornering both ends of the market at the height of spy-mania. It's contemporary to Thunderball and objectively speaking the better film. So any self-respecting Bondfan oughta watch it!
    I know myself it's next to impossible to find the dvd, but I know where it's streaming online, and can post the link of Barbel lets me. There were no ads interrupting when i watched it.
    Higgins you are a surefire candidate for AJB007 Agent of the Year award for your initiative in organising and promoting these GroupWatches. You definitely encouraged a sense of Virtual Community in the Socially Isolated times!

I didn't know there was such an award, but absolutely it should go to Higgins for having done this. -{ -{ -{
    Gymkata wrote:
    Personally, I RSVP'd that I wouldn't be able to attend yesterday's viewing. That was strictly because we had the day off in the US and I wouldn't have been there even if it had been a Bond film.

Happy Independence Day, Gymkata -{
    (insofar as any national sense of happiness is possible right now, for any of us, given the pandemic)
    Been busy, just able to check in now (for a few moments).
    I'd say it's up to AJB007 Agent of the Year Higgins what to watch on Monday, and I'd like to say what others have said- the groupwatching has been joyous and memorable, and he deserves all credit for it. So much so, it's a shame for it to end!
    I'd suggest either CR54 for obvious reasons or something light hearted as I said above- perhaps a Matt Helm or that one we were discussing earlier, "Operation Kid Brother".
    Brownnosing doesn‘t bring you lot anywhere..

Who willing and able to attend The IPCRESS FILE on Monday night?

Perfectly willing, can't guarantee able (at first, anyway) - kids still awake at 8pm.
    I'm willing and able to watch The Ipcress File with you on Monday. I just checked I've got it. Higgins for agent of the year!
    I'm still unable to do so, I'm afraid.
    Who can join us on friday?

For tomorrow, I have only N24 and myself and probably Barbel

Perhaps we should especially urge new members to join? It's probably a great way to be accepted by the regulars - you'll know the real first names of the most frequent posters in weeks! :))
  • The Spy Who Never DiesThe Spy Who Never Dies UKPosts: 644MI6 Agent
    I can do either Monday or Friday. For anyone who doesn't have the film, it's on you tube.
    And SpectreOfDefeat is in, too. :)
    It‘s too late now to arrange for tonight, right?

Should we set up Ipcress Files for Friday?

Yes, let's do Friday! :)
    Ok, done.
    Time enough to get some more members on board.
    Please keep in mind, that I haven‘t seen the movie yet, so I‘ll remain very silent and low profile (as always :p )

It's a classic, hope we get many people joining in.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,420Quartermasters
    I'm in for The Ipcress File on friday, a true classic and one of my favourite films of all time.
    Ipcress on Friday it is.
    Looking forward to it.

In view of the sad death of the great Ennio Morricone, I'd like to suggest that after "Ipcress File" we watch a film which he worked on and is on our list of possibles- "Operation Kid Brother" for next Monday?
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent
    I didn't realise he worked on that. No wonder it's such a classic.