Watching the 007 movies together?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff
    So, that was very enjoyable. Where do we go next? Finish off Connery with DAF? Go to Craig with CR and QoS? Or perhaps the Moores we haven't seen yet?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    What do you suggest, Barbel?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    My vote:

CR and QOS
    Then, DAF
    Then, TMWTGG and FYEO

Perhaps. I'd like CR followed by QoS, but I don't want QoS to be the last one.
    I think TMWTGG or FYEO should be last.
    SPECTRE, DAF, TMWTGG, CR, QoS and FYEO?
    Higgins wrote:

Like Gymkata, CR06 then QoS.

Edit- I call it CR06 just in case poor Sir Miles has to accidentally watch Peter Sellers and David Niven again.
    Gymkata wrote:
    My vote:

CR and QOS
    Then, DAF
    Then, TMWTGG and FYEO

You forgot TWINE ;)

And SPECTRE. Perhaps SPECTRE, DAF, TMWTGG, CR, TWINE, QoS and FYEO? A good mix of styles and actors.
    My planning for now:
    CR
    QOS
    DAF
    TMWTGG
    TWINE
    Spectre
    and FYEO

I'm fine with Higgin's suggestion.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    Looks good.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    Fine by me. :)
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    My planning for now:
    CR
    QOS
    DAF
    TMWTGG
    TWINE
    Spectre
    and FYEO

Thank You for doing CR-06 next Higgins.
    I didn't do anything for my Birthday in April, so I will get a cake and a bottle of something fizzy for this. -{

Barbel - If M is daft enough to put himself through the spanking paddle that is CR-67 again, he only has himself to blame.
    And whoever is responsible for his prescription!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    N24- he likes it. I don't hate it as much as some (Niven is ok as retired Bond, there's a lot of lovely ladies, Orson Welles would be a good Bond villain in a better movie, and the music is excellent) but it'll never be a favourite.

Gymkata- On the other hand I do love TWINE. Pierce's best 007 performance, Elektra is a fantastic character, Renard and Zukovsky shine, we say a fond farewell to Desmond Llewellyn, the music's good, and the plot is a lot deeper than most give it credit for (see my subtext thread).
    Barbel wrote:
    Gymkata- On the other hand I do love TWINE. Pierce's best 007 performance, Elektra is a fantastic character, Renard and Zukovsky shine, we say a fond farewell to Desmond Llewellyn, the music's good, and the plot is a lot deeper than most give it credit for (see my subtext thread).

Thunderbird Too - my favorite action scene (overall) is the Thames boat chase, the music is brilliant throughout and Sophie Marceau is the ruling Queen of the Bond Baddies! The way she evolves Electra through the film is brilliant. More on all that later though.
    Oh yes, more later! {[]
    {[]
    Cheers! And perhaps a bit of trimming wouldn't hurt the movie, as you say.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,569Chief of Staff
    Barbel wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Like Gymkata, CR06 then QoS.

Edit- I call it CR06 just in case poor Sir Miles has to accidentally watch Peter Sellers and David Niven again.

I’ll watch it again anyway :D
    YNWA 97
    Will be in touch....
    Above, Higgins said he was thinking of DAF next to finish off the Connery films.
    :)) :)) :))

...and here we differ again- I love DAF! John Barry sparkles (pun intended), there are some terrifically funny lines ("Named after your father"), there's some genuine Fleming (Bond meets Tiffany, they're followed on the plane by Wint & Kidd). Yes, there are many weak points which I'm sure we'll discuss but all Bond films have those.
    The first half is far better than the second, where most of the weak points are- but again, that's true of other Bond films too.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent
    {[] I agree, Barbel. The first half is really good but the second half sometimes feels like a Carry On movie :#

It is saved by Barry’s superlative score and Connery’s presence. Although it doesn’t compare with the previous 6, it stands in my B category which ranges from A-D.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    DAF, despite its flaws, is hugely entertaining. It always was my favourite Bond film and it remains so. I don't care, either, that this makes me something of an outlier. 8-) I look forward to seeing it again. -{
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,420Quartermasters
    Barbel wrote:
    :)) :)) :))

...and here we differ again- I love DAF! John Barry sparkles (pun intended), there are some terrifically funny lines ("Named after your father"), there's some genuine Fleming (Bond meets Tiffany, they're followed on the plane by Wint & Kidd). Yes, there are many weak points which I'm sure we'll discuss but all Bond films have those.
    The first half is far better than the second, where most of the weak points are- but again, that's true of other Bond films too.

For me, DAF is one of those Bond films that is near the bottom of my ranking, but I still have a lot of affection for it and I think the main reasons are the ones that Barbel mentioned. John Barry definitely makes an excellent contribution in this film, there are great cues aplenty. Also, the dialogue is a highlight - the Tom Mankiewicz one liners are some of the best in the series. It has been a long while since I last watched DAF, and since that time I have gone back and re-read the novel which I raced through in a day because I was enjoying it so much. I'm really looking forward to the watchalong this friday.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    I think DAF has the best pre-credits to credits transition of all the films, and the themesong may be Barry's best.
    Unless I've misunderstood Higgins' intentions, we're watching TMWTGG on Monday.

This is Sir Roger's second Bond movie, and one which continues to split opinion to this day. There is much cinematographic beauty, two gorgeous leading ladies, and perhaps the best Bond villain actor ever. And yet...
    Barbel wrote:
    Unless I've misunderstood Higgins' intentions, we're watching TMWTGG on Monday.

This is Sir Roger's second Bond movie, and one which continues to split opinion to this day. There is much cinematographic beauty, two gorgeous leading ladies, and perhaps the best Bond villain actor ever. And yet...

I’m curious to see this one again. I suspect some of the designs Inspired my Grandparents 1970’s interior designs... will be interesting to see. And there is only one film I have seen with Christopher Lee in that is poor... Not that he was given much to do, before given the chop.
    And there is only one film I have seen with Christopher Lee in that is poor...

Alas, I can't say the same. I've seen him in many, many poor films- but he was never poor in them!

Edit- And the same goes for Peter Cushing.
    Yes, you were missed tonight.
    We absolutely missed you, Gymkata. Where are the GIFs of Lana Wood and Jill st. John?