Watching the 007 movies together?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    anigif_original-grid-image-11296-1421276822-4.gif
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,317Chief of Staff
    A bit off-topic, but I've been trying to watch the livestream from The Bond Experience and Calvin Dyson. It has been beset with terrible audio problems (echo... echo...echo) so they've cut off for the moment and will restart in 18 minutes from now.

They were joined by Being James Bond and James Bond Radio and it looked like it was going to be a fun evening until the technical problems reared their head.
    Higgins wrote:
    But it‘s worse so it will be relatively easy to spot and name the glaring things that went wrong.

The main one as far as I'm concerned is the lack of a classic Bond villain*. The next Dalton entry corrects that, but does other things wrong.

*I can see what they were trying with Koskov but it didn't work. Since there won't be time while watching TLD, I'd like to give my (already posted) thoughts about this subject.

Whitaker is not the villain of TLD, Koskov is. He and James share many scenes together, while 007 only meets Whitaker at the end. Koskov and James have a relationship which has an arc- they start friendly, doubts set in, and then they directly clash. Their scene on the plane together is a pure Bond/villain exchange. The story is not over when Whitaker meets his fate, it's over when Koskov meets his. And, the clincher, James and Georgi follow the classic formula in that the leading lady starts out in a relationship with the villain (this may be romantic or professional according to the film) but ends up with Bond (many, many examples).
    Sure, Whitaker technically may outrank Koskov but Blofeld outranks Largo in TB (and obviously NSNA) yet Largo is the villain of the film.
    It's often said that a Bond film rises or falls depending on how good its villain is- for example recently we watched MR and there is pretty universal agreement that Michael Lonsdale as Drax was one of the best things about the film and raised its level. Here, Koskov is a pretty weak villain and lets down what would otherwise be a more celebrated entry in the Bond series.
    Getting even more off-topic here, many would say that TMWTGG is a weak Bond film but it is boosted by its villain since Scaramanga is played by Sir Christopher Lee. Christopher friggin' Lee. IMHO enough reason to watch a film no matter how bad it is, and this one is not even close to a legion of bad films Lee appeared in!
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    On the question of Monday's choice, AVTAK and TLD are among my least favourite Bonds, though John Barry goes a long way in mitigating the problems. From my point of view, not liking them so much would make either an interesting choice for shared viewing. LTK I love, and any pretext to see it again is welcome. I'm easy with any :-)
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Should we start the next movie on Friday morning to accomodate our brothers in the pacific region?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Barbel wrote:

*I can see what they were trying with Koskov but it didn't work. Since there won't be time while watching TLD, I'd like to give my (already posted) thoughts about this subject.

....... lets down what would otherwise be a more celebrated entry in the Bond series.

You‘ve now had one night to think about that wording :D
    Anything that you want to correct? :v

Yes....

... start the next movie on Friday morning
    No....
    I still think Koskov let's the movie down
    Higgins wrote:
    Should we start the next movie on Friday morning to accomodate our brothers in the pacific region?

That would be only fair. (I'll be working Friday day time so would need to pass, though.)
    Anybody from the pacific region joining us at all?

JTM?

• JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Anybody from the pacific region joining us at all?

JTM?

Yep, I’ll be there! Any start time is fine with me though—whatever works for the group :)
    So, what are we gonna watch on Friday?

Will our agents from the pacific region be able to join, in that case, I‘ll set up a morning viewing GMT

I suggest one of Craig's.
    edited April 2020
    I looked through some boxes today and I found my Moonraker DVD. Great timing :#
    :)) :)) :))

Barbel wrote:
    I suggest one of Craig's.

After having watched a sh*tter yesterday, I am in the mood for another one, so how about LTK :v

I suggest QoS. My motivation is partly selfish. I don't have QoS (or is it in a box somewhere?), so it suits me fine if the people living by The Sea of Tranquility see it. :v
    Too bad that you can‘t make it, but that does not give you a free pass for not posting gifs {[]

Can only make BST evenings here, but understand if the time needs to change to include other folk.
    Gymkata, king of the gifs. {[]

I'm ok for whatever time suits.
    so, ok - about the next movie:

Craig is the obvious choice.
    Following N24‘s argument, CR may end in being a lovefest and we certainly want to have the mood in a more battle mode which started with TLD :D
    My standalone choice would be QoS, but in my opinion, CR and QoS belong together somehow and they should be watched in a row.

Thus, my choice would be SF for Friday, I still need input about the starting time, please!

SF is fine with me.
    SF sounds fine to me. I don't know, but I may get to join.
    Hopefully more people will join us. Perhaps one of our newer members?
    Please, could any members in the Eastern Pacific area confirm that they are going to join us (or not) to allow Higgins to set an appropriate time to watch?
    Hey, it‘s not even breakfast time under these stay home conditions :D

And you should know best, that a Rock‘N Roller does not leave bed prior to 13:00 :p

Sometimes I don't leave bed at all! :D
    Gymkata: since you're the GIFmaster I have a request. I'm re-watching MR for the first time in ages, and I think the ambulance sequence has potential. Sir Roger pulls some funny faces when he's strapped to the gurney. the moment in the ambulance fight where he falls face first in Dr Goodhead's crotch also has potential as a GIF :D
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    QoS would be best. Not the worst or best of Craig.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Great! Thank you :))