AJB live commentary on TSWLM

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,345Chief of Staff
    Double Oh Seven!!!!

Triple X!!!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,798MI6 Agent
    No-one kept the British end up like Moore!
    True!
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    gifs approx here please, G!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    We are still enjoying wet and huge cleavage over here!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Oh, I did enjoy that. Thanks everybody!
    Nobody does it better!

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    worst closing music ever?
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    The male voice choir singing some bars of the theme song... a reference to the TV documentary serial of the time based on The Ark Royal. I think they did a similar thing with a male voice choir singing Rod Stewart's theme for the show, 'I am sailing...'
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    Thank you very much for joining, James bond will return!

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    Good fun! Thanks, again, to Higgins for organising...
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    Yes, a big thank you to Higgins!

And a request- more Moore!
    I always say the same thing about Roger Moore's Bond as I do about Peter Ustinov's Poirot- you may not like his interpretation, but you can't help liking him!
    Great fun! I suggest LALD or AVTAK next.
    back to reality...

I'll have to remember that dvd is corrupt.
    I bought the Moore threepack dvd sets thinking I could get rid of the old ones and save some space, good thing I never got round to that.
    Built in redundancy!
    Glad of that, cp!
    this scene is one of the bits that reminds me of Colonel Sun,
    Bond and Ariadne Areolowhatsit also got chased round some classical ruins after meeting in a restaurant
    of course the character in Colonel Sun is called Ariadne Alexandrou, I remembered that about 10minutes later. I got all of one letter right.
    I got confused because of Anya's dress, and I started thinking about Wood's detailed description of what little that dress leaves to the imagination in the novelization!
    why does the globe show the missile paths arcing to the north?
    Number24 wrote:
    Because that's the shortest route. Transatlantic flights go over the North Pole.
    Im gonna quibble later, its too confusing to type now, and we're about to see Anya in that final dress
    OK map projections hurt my head, but this is what I'm thinking:
    On a Projected map, the straightest line across the surface of the earth would form an arc, and those can be counterintuitive especially when the shortest route between Canada and Northern Europe cuts close to the north pole.
    But on an actual globe they should just appear as straight lines.

The lines representing the missiles' paths on Stromberg's globe follow these greatly exaggerated arcs to the north and back again.
    I think they are meant to be a profile representation, superimposed on the globe. Like we were really watching in profile as the missiles arced above the surface of the sea and back again. The two icons representing the subs are in profile too,
    Gymkata wrote:
    anya-red-dress.jpg
    yes right about this moment in the film has great gif-potential
    To misquote Captain Kirk, Mr Gymkata you go right on getting a tad risqué!
    If you have a globe at home you can take a short string and hold one at NY and the other on London or perhaps Berlin. Watch how the string curves top the north if you're holding it tight. In actual life it't even clearer becasue the Earth isn't a perfect globe, it actually gets flatter by the poles.
    Here's a radar image of trans-Atlantic flights:

North-Atlantic-Flights.jpg
    That Starcrash oufit looks very practical! :))
    Number24 wrote:
    yeh but that image is a map projection.
    I gotta find my globe, its packed away.

Yes I know the shortest route would go towards the arctic and back, not be parallel to a line of latitude.
    but I think if I laid down a tapemeasure or string following such a route (eg between Labrador and London), it would have to be a straight line across the surface of a globe: it is after all the shortest route. Slackening the string to make an arc would by definition be a longer route.

Those two subs were pretty close to each other in the middle of the atlantic, the shortest route between them would not veer off that much towards the pole.

but I'll report back with actual results if I can find my globe. as i say map projections hurt my head.
    Gymkata wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    That Starcrash oufit looks very practical! :))

if by 'practical' you mean 'awesome', then yes.

In Northern Europe we have something we call "irony". We can disciss it when/if we finish ogling the actresses. :D
    (just joking …)
    StarCrash and Golden Voyage of Sinbad both look like excellent films!
    edited April 2020
    Number24 wrote:
    yeh but that image is a map projection.
    I gotta find my globe, its packed away.

Yes I know the shortest route would go towards the arctic and back, not be parallel to a line of latitude.
    but I think if I laid down a tapemeasure or string following such a route (eg between Labrador and London), it would have to be a straight line across the surface of a globe: it is after all the shortest route. Slackening the string to make an arc would by definition be a longer route.

Those two subs were pretty close to each other in the middle of the atlantic, the shortest route between them would not veer off that much towards the pole.

but I'll report back with actual results if I can find my globe. as i say map projections hurt my head.

You mustn't slack the line, you have to tighten it to see what I mean. An the radar map shows the planes from NY to London fly over New Foundland, then a bit south of Greenland, over Norhern Ireland and finally to London.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Starcrash also has the Hoff {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Gymkata wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Gymkata wrote:

if by 'practical' you mean 'awesome', then yes.

In Northern Europe we have something we call "irony". We can disciss it when/if we finish ogling the actresses. :D
    (just joking …)

Oh I know. Just giving you crap :)

I just find her gorgeous. I love her skin and that dark olive complexion...

Yes. More impressive than the model work and Ken Adam's sets I think -{
    what did Stromberg think he was going to do in that escape capsule if he had to use it?
    was he expecting it to be an opportunity too celebrate?
    I think Barbara Bach doesn't need to be good at acting to be a great film actress :v :v :v