AJB live commentary on MOONRAKER

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,332Chief of Staff
    Shady Tree wrote:
    Why does Moore, after nearly two films, still try to punch Jaws in the mouth with his bare fist?

Yeah, he really should know by now.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    I think this scene causing Jaws to turn actually works well...
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    Love Barry's cue here as the switch is thrown... that spine-tingling chord
    "Space Laser Battle"- on the OST
    The fight in space is brilliant... shorter than the TB underwater battle, but as exciting in its way
    Lonsdale still calm in his last scene
    That's three globes away. I remember thinking, when I first saw this film: how on earth will they be stopped now? It's genuinely dramatic. This movie is far from all self-spoofing.
    Shady Tree wrote:
    The fight in space is brilliant... shorter than the TB underwater battle, but as exciting in its way

Christopher Wood's novelisation has Bond briefly join them- glad that didn't appear in the film!
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    'Open the cargo bay doors'.
    'I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that.'
    :)) :)) :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Incredible model shots etc
    Jaws and Dolly. Oh dear. :(
    Use the force, James. Use the force!
    edited April 2020
    Wonderful! I recall the radio advert spots for Moonraker in '79 used a mixture of the 'Sombre' musical notes from Flight in Space and this disco end title them - really cool at the time.
    Dare I say it, but to me this nail-biting attempt to destroy the final globe is even more suspenseful than Luke Skywalker's 'last chance' run at The Death Star... though an army of Star Wars fans would deride that as heresy!
    Is that Q's best or worst line ever?
    Shady Tree wrote:
    Dare I say it, but to me this nail-biting attempt to destroy the final globe is even more suspenseful than Luke Skywalker's 'last chance' run at The Death Star... though an army of Star Wars fans would deride that as heresy!

You can say that here!
    I thoroughly enjoyed that, both the film itself (it's been a while) and chatting with everyone here.
    "Take me around the world one more time!" Roger: please sign on again for FYEO!
    Barbel wrote:
    I thoroughly enjoyed that, both the film itself (it's been a while) and chatting with everyone here.

Yes, it's been a (laser) blast!
    Gymkata wrote:
    and now the end credits with the disco version of the theme which is almost as good as the main theme. Love it.

Such a fun movie.

Totally :-)
    So, the story goes (and I cannot vouch for it's truth)-

Bernard Lee was known to have a fondness for a drink or three. When it was time to shoot the scene between him and Moore in Venice, he didn't turn up. They checked his hotel, he wasn't there.
    A search of the local drinking establishments found him, having had several drinks, playing piano in a bar singing "Knees Up Mother Brown" and other Cockney classics. He had to be dragged away and sobered up to do his scene as M.
    Can I say a big thank you to Gymkata for standing in for Higgins tonight, and to Shady Tree for volunteering to cover if necessary?
    Well done guys.
    Now, what the hell was that monstrosity Higgins inflcted on us early on?
    Higgins wrote:
    Just some insider info:

During the everlasting negotiations between Cubby and Roger Moore, a new actor was cast and contracted.

... Here is a top secret image of the real movie poster

Haha! That monstrosity almost threw us off our stride this evening!

Gymkata: thanks again for those amazing gifs and for the guest moderating :-) That still pic of the tour guide girl flashing her leg is a new one on me and a definite show-stopper!

The Bernard Lee tale is beautiful. I'd known that Geoffrey Keen had taken it upon himself to look out for him when they were on location, but this must have been one occasion when he'd got away!
    Barbel wrote:
    Can I say a big thank you to Gymkata for standing in for Higgins tonight, and to Shady Tree for volunteering to cover if necessary?
    Well done guys.

Seconded! Thanks and well done gents -{
    In case it isn't obvious, I love the score too. The movie itself I've seen too many times to have any objective viewpoint on anymore, but I did enjoy tonight's viewing very much.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    So, seems that everybody had a food time yesterday and that MR was not as controversial that some have implied.

I need to watch MR a bit later, but i remember that everytime I put it on, I tell myself „This is not as camp as many constantly say“
    The movie for sure has little weaknesses ( such as Chile‘s terrible acting and the gondola sequence) but the OST is amazing and you can see how they have been sh*tting with cash around in every little part of the movie.

I love to think taking the Concorde from London to Rio and I find that the space scenes have aged well. The entire Space plot continues where Fleming leaves us in Moonraker so the criticism from the fundamentalists is a bit unfair imo, because it straightforward picks up a 33 year old idea and puts it in the present tense and a bit further into the future.

I need to research a bit more about the Glass Factory Tour Guide, she is spectacular!
    Anybody knows her name?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    And thanks to Gymkata for stepping in, I really appreciate it!
    Great job!

• MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,771MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    So, seems that everybody had a food time yesterday and that MR was not as controversial that some have implied.

I need to watch MR a bit later, but i remember that everytime I put it on, I tell myself „This is not as camp as many constantly say“
    The movie for sure has little weaknesses ( such as Chile‘s terrible acting and the gondola sequence) but the OST is amazing and you can see how they have been sh*tting with cash around in every little part of the movie.

I love to think taking the Concorde from London to Rio and I find that the space scenes have aged well. The entire Space plot continues where Fleming leaves us in Moonraker so the criticism from the fundamentalists is a bit unfair imo, because it straightforward picks up a 33 year old idea and puts it in the present tense and a bit further into the future.

I need to research a bit more about the Glass Factory Tour Guide, she is spectacular!
    Anybody knows her name?

Wasn't it Anne Lonnberg?
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    There’s far too few gifs/pictures of Lois Chiles in this thread, I’m shocked!
    MikeG77 wrote:

Wasn't it Anne Lonnberg?

Yes, that‘s it {[]
    I found an interview with her about MR and she shared the following episode with Roger Moore:

>>I remember the day Roger Moore had to be submerged in water all day long fighting with that giant python. At the end of the day he was wet, exhausted and fed-up. After the last shot, he said, “Now, at last, I can go back to my hotel and take a hot bath!” When an assistant whispered in his ear, “You may have forgotten, Mr. Moore, you have a press conference in ten minutes.” Roger answered, dripping wet, with a polite smile, “Give me ten minutes.”<<