AJB live commentary on DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

Comments

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    At least none of it looks like model effects though. I was watching Force 10 from Navarone earlier this week, and the model work there is atrocious.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    Some of the unused 'alternative' footage of the helicopter attack on the oil rig (included on the dvd as a special feature) might have added value if incorporated. It offers a pilot's view as the helicopters sweep in. Also, the scene might have worked better if a lot of the explosives hadn't been set off accidentally during a rehearsal.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff
    ....return to Fleming. Bond and Tiffany plan to return to London on a liner, but Wint & Kidd interrupt them.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,796MI6 Agent
    The planned showdown between Bond and Blofeld in a salt mine wouldhav ebeen much better than this. Wint and Kidd are actually a welcome relief ... :#
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,222MI6 Agent
    I think the budget must have been cut drastically half way through the movie
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Machine that goes tic tic trifle.... the Bombe Suprise.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    A lot of this part of the film is like Batman the TV series, but for adults. I wonder whether they were still thinking 'Adam West'.
    Terrible fight scene
    Music “Killing Wint & Kidd” Nic Raine version released 1999
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Gymkata wrote:
    and another meeting...just one of those days. OK, I'm out. So glad I came in for the awesome, awesome climactic battle on the oil rig...

Impeccable timing, Gymkata.
    Bruce Glover’s “Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!” is cringeworthy :#
    Well, that's it. I enjoyed the first half (or more) and was pretty embarrassed by the later sequences.

How does everybody else feel?
    Barbel wrote:
    Terrible fight scene

For me the worst part is Wint’s protective gauntlets are obvious when he goes flambé.
    A shame it’s a well executed stunt, which I believe Putter Smith does the initial bit himself?
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    edited June 2020
    Well there we have it. Flawed, but brilliant. Connery looks to be having so much fun in the role. Fantastic music by Barry, and individually some terrific set pieces.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    There's some slack direction or editing when Bond, having called out Wint, just seems to wait passively in his seat for Wint to attack him. But on the whole I love this scene. Kidd's fiery demise delivers a final instance of harrowing violence. Barry merges Wint and Kidd's theme with an action cue for the fight.
    I love the first 70 minutes, the rest is embarrassing. But Connery and Barry make t very watchable nonetheless.
    DAF is an odd one. Some characters and lines and a good title song.
    But some very strange scenes, disapointing sets and some silly action scenes.
    The 'claret' business is classic Bond - "Red wine with fish" sort of territory. I love it.

As for the demise of Wint and Kidd, and the comic "whooooooo" as Wint leaves with his tails between his legs, I guess it just appeals to my juvenile sense of humour.
    Well, it’s gone 5am I’m off to bed, I’ve enjoyed my first watch with you guys, goodnight.
    My favourite Bond film, despite its flaws. When it's good, it's brilliant, and there are so many quirky, entertaining scenes. Connery out-Moored Roger Moore even before Moore stepped into his shoes.
    I would love an alternative reality where DAF is a revenge movie starring Lazenby.
    Jill St John was excellent in the earlier parts, less so later
    Charles Grey had the potential to be a great Blofeld, but was let down by the script later on
    Mr Wint & Mr Kidd are wonderful henchmen
    Plenty O'Toole is a fun character
    Some of the dialogue is fantastic- very quotable
    The side characters (Rodney, Mr Slumber, Metz) are colourful and memorable
    John Barry is at his best, and that is enough to carry an entire movie

And
    Sean Connery gives a relaxed, yes sometimes too relaxed, performance as 007. He effortlessly dominates this movie even though he's clearly operating at less than 100% full capacity.
    Barbel wrote:
    Well, that's it. I enjoyed the first half (or more) and was pretty embarrassed by the later sequences.

How does everybody else feel?

On a ranking of Bond films from number 1 to number 24, DAF ranks very low, but there is very little that I don't find entertaining in this film. Strong points for me are Wint and Kidd, Barry's music and the somewhat sleazy Las Vegas atmosphere which make this film unique, even if Vegas is no Royale-les-Eaux. I do like Jill St. John in the first half of the film, and I like the Howard Hughes type character that Jimmy Dean plays. It's also a nice touch that Cubby was a friend of Hughes, and this plot point came from a dream that Cubby had. Unfortunately though, the climax is nothing short of disappointing, especially the effects in the satellite sequence. Quite appalling considering that YOLT had done far better in 1967.
    Will there be a podcast after?
    My gut feeling is that DAF is not as bad as many feel it is. The first half is excellent, the second half less so (though it does have its moments). My main feelings I've said above.
    Overall, I'd have liked to see it stick more to Fleming than it did (there are some Fleming moments in the first half plus the ending).
    Number24 wrote:

Not that I know of. Our podcast organiser Higgins was unavailable tonight. It is a pity, I hope that we will do more podcasts following the last few watchalongs. And hopefully about other topics going forward.
    Number24 wrote:

Not tonight- Higgins is unavailable.
    If we stick to plan, then on Monday we are watching TMWTGG and I for one am looking forward to that!
    Barbel wrote:
    If we stick to plan, then on Monday we are watching TMWTGG and I for one am looking forward to that!

Should be interesting. I LOVED that film the first couple of times I watched it, but apart from Christopher Lee and the island location there isn't much that makes it stand out to me now. Dare I say that it is probably my 2nd least favourite film after DAD.
    DAF.....

DAF shares a striking similarity with DAD 30 years later. The films feature diamonds, an orbital satellite weapon and a plot that goes soggy at the midway point.

DAF shows taught thriller promise in a Tales Of The Unexpected way until the Vegas scenes. Clever one liners, great scenery, everyone on their A game. But somewhere along the line the jokes become corny, Tiffany looses all sass and wit and Blofeld goes from scheming Baddie to gutless get out of dodge goodnight. The fact he calls for his sub before the game is lost speaks volumes. It’s a shame, Charles Gray is another solid actor - he is a Great Mycroft Holmes to Jeremy Brett’s Sherlock H in that series. But his Blofeld is about as truly menacing as a punctured Whooping cushion. The lack of physicality in his scenes is a contrast to Savalas, or even the simmering fury of Pleasance.

Wint & Kidd on the other hand are Camp Couture! This was before Larry Grayson or John Inman became household names, and he actors underplay their sexuality. The fact Wint likes Tiffany - something he notes to rise Jealousy in Kidd is cruel, creepy, and realistic. Colours in a spectrum indeed. The fact they vary their bumping off methods - the scorpion, weights, buried alive, time bombs and even cue de grace kebab is a contrast to say Oddjob, Jaws or Xenia with their trademark assassination methods.

The film does have a lot things in its favour, the diamonds themselves are an interesting maguffin until we learn they are part of a Phaser canon satellite weapon. In fact that is where the plot heads south without looking back. The set design veers between artistic & classic, and gaudy 1970s contemporary futurism. The pent house a real location is a monument to architectural vandalism.
    Tiffany’s Amsterdam flat, and the Whyte House Bridal Suites are nice though.

Saving graces are Sir Sean, and Jill St John. Although Tiffany becomes disappointing and stupid as a character, Ms St John still conveys the wit and wisdom the character should have. As I mentioned earlier Metz is wonderfully uptight throughout, and Jimmy Dean is great as the somewhat ‘I’ve been off the radar’ Whyte. It’s a shame he, Q and Felix are forgotten about, with only a tiny reprise towards the end.

In the end DAF is proof that even to The House Of Eon, for Bond all that Glitters is not quite Goldfinger!