Tuesday Nov. 3rd 19:00 GMT: Let‘s watch DR NO together

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I love the use of Copper in the Dr No sets.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I'm glad we'll get a return of the villan's lair in NTTD :007)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    The death of Quarrel :(

Yes, it's painful for us and it was more so in the novel.

The added backstory of LALD adds quite a bit of resonance to this moment in the novel.

Indeed. Quarrel is one of Fleming's best characters.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,420Quartermasters
    Number24 wrote:
    The death of Quarrel :(

One of us is out of sync

It's always bound to happen with DVDs from different regions that play at differing frame rates. Or its just that we start the film at slightly different times. ;)
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    I admit to having a dubious kind of crush on the sinister Sisters Rose and Lily.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    edited November 2020
    We were told "A good soldier sleeps (and eats) when he can" in the military. Bond knows this, even though he hadn't planned to fall asleep quite as soon.
    Connery does a good job of telegraphing Bond's frustration with himself when he realises he's been drugged.
    Ohhh, pure Fleming....

(tucks shirt into trousers)
    I'm not a fan of Norman's score cues for the most part, but I do enjoy the subtle treatment of his Dr No theme when the titular doctor comes to examine Bond as he sleeps. It goes nicely with the sinister, shadowy presentation of Dr No.
    The scene where Bond and Honey dress for dinner as if they were a conventional couple going to a dinner party is echoed in FRWL when Bond and Tania masquerade as a typical English couple aboard the Orient Express. In both cases the strange and dangerous contexts 'other' tropes of the 'normal'.
    Joseph Wiseman is simply wonderful as Dr No. I cannot think of anyone who could have played the part better, with the exception of course of Christopher Lee.
    tenor.gif?itemid=4123675
    Barbel wrote:
    Joseph Wiseman is simply wonderful as Dr No. I cannot think of anyone who could have played the part better, with the exception of course of Christopher Lee.

Imagine if Noel Coward had taken to the suggestion that he play the Dr. I wonder how the part would have turned out.
    Listening to Wiseman's delivery of his initial dialogue with Connery, I can hear the influence on Michel Lonsdale's droll vocal choices in his performance of Drax.
    Although it's very much out-of-context for us these days, I do so enjoy the in-joke of the stolen Goya painting in Dr No's lair.
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

Imagine if Noel Coward had taken to the suggestion that he play the Dr. I wonder how the part would have turned out.

Not terrible, but not as good.
    "The West would have apriciated a man of your talents". How true. At the time NASA was full of nazi war criminals.
    It's good that Strangways and Quarrel remain at the forefront of Bond's mind as he expresses interest in joining the revenge department of SPECTRE.
    The sound design of the 1960's could be very experimental
    "What do we do with him?" - the henchman's line - sounds like it could have been voiced by Robert 'Largo' Rietti.
    In the book, the tunnel sequence is deliberate action by No. It loses a little in the film.
    I think Fleming must have been quietly pleased that his own giant octopus trumped any of the ordeals suffered by the film version of Bond in the waste disposal shaft.
    Ken Adam's set!
    Barbel wrote:
    In the book, the tunnel sequence is deliberate action by No. It loses a little in the film.

I agree. I always remember the sinister idea from the book that Bond is being observed by voyeuristic eyes as he is negotiation Dr No's terrible obstacle course.
    Anthony Chinn, in the first of his minor villain appearances in the series (GF, YOLT, AVTAK) plays Chang.
  • The Spy Who Never DiesThe Spy Who Never Dies UKPosts: 644MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

And when it gets to the giant squid (I think?) it was OTT.
    Shady Tree wrote:
    I think Fleming must have been quietly pleased that his own giant octopus trumped any of the ordeals suffered by the film version of Bond in the waste disposal shaft.

Maybe one day the film makers will include that.
    Barbel wrote:

And when it gets to the giant squid (I think?) it was OTT.

That's what we're here for!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Everyone wearing what we'll probably be wearing this Christmas
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I wonder if Chinn had been unavailable when they were looking to cast Scaramanga's maintenance guy.