Book Covers

Comments

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent

This week some naughty girls who charge for their time…there is a hotel, actually called Waterfront Hotel, in Cebu City here (more useless information)

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

No Last Names - that's the way to do it. 😉

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

😂😂😂

Some movie tie-ins this week…

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff

Love those. I used to have both of the Pan Hammer Omnibuses, but I've foolishly lost them over the years.

Breaking into this thread to plug the first installment of the Christmas Special, it’s ready to read now!

The AJB007 Christmas Special 2023 — ajb007

More hard-boiled than suave superspy…

…and some more covers of classic novels…Dracula is definitely Lugosi influenced…

The Home To Harlem cover reminds me of the nightclub scene in the novel LALD

It does! I've not read any of these (maybe "Daughter If Fu Manchu" many years ago) but I've seen the films of "Lost Weekend" and "Werewolf Of Paris" (filmed by Hammer as "Curse Of The Werewolf").

Again a nice assortment of startling covers and please keep 'em coming.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

Saw this on a Facebook group and thought I'd share it here:

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Thanks for posting that @Silhouette Man I haven’t seen that one before.

edited December 2023

No, neither have I so I thought I'd share it here.

Some nice covers here…

Most of the books I sold were either British or American but there was one time when someone brought in a couple of boxes of Australian Star books - these were some of the titles…

Greenleaf was probably the most notorious pulp paperback publishing house in the USA - sensational stories with lurid covers - they fetch very high prices…

This Is A Nightstand Book - indeed! 😉

I don’t often post pictures of modern covers but these postcard books from Prion published in 2000/2002 are worth it because each one contains postcards of classic pulp era paperback covers (23 or 31 per volume). These could be detached and used, but only and idiot would do such a thing! The covers and blurbs tell you what awaits within!

Wonderful, CHB! 🙂

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,569Chief of Staff

These book covers are tremendous…I’ll admit it does leave me wondering what the actual stories are like ☺️

YNWA 97
    edited January 15

We're told never to judge a book by its cover, but sometimes it's really hard not to. Such is the power of good (or bad) cover art!

I saw this Pelican Books cover again recently for this non-fiction book and I thought it was quite brilliant:

I’ve never seen this one @Silhouette Man thanks for posting.

edited January 20

Yes, it's a good one. I have a different cover for this book but I don't think I have this one.

Pan Books Covers…

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

I assume the cover for Alcoholism is supposed to be out of focus ?

Yes, that's it. Like the viewer or the man in the picture is drunk. It's very clever for a photographic cover.

Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men? These paperbacks were based on the popular 1930s pulp fiction character, The Shadow. The original writer was Walter Gibson, but these books are credited to house name Maxwell Grant, and most of the later entries in the Shadow series from Belmont are in fact written by Dennis Lynds who used many pseudonyms in his career of over 200 published novels, including Michael Collins and William Arden.

After a long break here are some more covers…

And this may be somewhat familiar to some…

Ah, I've read that last one. Very good, I highly recommend it.

Is the "Hal Ellison" above really Harlan Ellison under a variation of his own name, I wonder? I know he did use pen names.